The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2024, 01:38 PM   #31
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I saw white and black dial SS Daytonas on display the other day at Mayors.

Now why those would be sitting in the case and not on a VVIP wrist, I have no idea.
The only steel Daytona I ever saw in a case was a black dial 116500 in a smaller AD circa 2018. The owner said it was already sold but he put it in the case until its new owner could pick it up “so people can see one, many people have never seen a SS Daytona in person before.”
He was not pulling it out of the case or letting anyone try it on. BTW, that dealer lost its franchise less than a year later. Local gossip was dealer hanky panky, he offered me a Daytona for $5K over MSRP a few months after that visit.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 02:04 PM   #32
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB "Bluesy"
The last watch I bought from my AD was an exhibition watch. I walked into the AD to remind them about the Paul Newman Oysterflex Daytona that I was waiting on. As luck would have it they had the exact watch on display.

I don't know how long it was on display before I arrived. However, after some discussion with my SA I was able to purchase it on the spot. So they definately sell display watches under the right circumstances.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk
Bruno007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 04:26 PM   #33
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno007 View Post
The last watch I bought from my AD was an exhibition watch. I walked into the AD to remind them about the Paul Newman Oysterflex Daytona that I was waiting on. As luck would have it they had the exact watch on display.

I don't know how long it was on display before I arrived. However, after some discussion with my SA I was able to purchase it on the spot. So they definately sell display watches under the right circumstances.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

They will sell them while still in their display period, if they have another similar model to replace it, so they continue to comply with Rolex rules, regarding the number that are to remain on display at all times. One of our members recounted the story of buying his two tone Wimbledon that was a display piece. The AD had to do some computer wizardry to change its status from a display piece to an inventory piece, before selling it to him.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 04:36 PM   #34
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
They sell. My 36mm OP turquoise came with a “For Exhibition Only” sticker.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 06:00 PM   #35
krounchou
"TRF" Member

If you are the good person for the AD, they are not exhibition only ;)
krounchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 08:23 PM   #36
Bob-a-Job
"TRF" Member

My purchase experience was slightly different - I think...... I registered my interest in an OP 36mm Bright Blue, 126000, and was pleased to see the watch being unwrapped and removed from its delivery box (the 'coffin', I believe it's referred to as) in the shop. I watched the stickers being removed after enjoying the experience and chat. My SA told me that it was one of the last few OPs to be gotten hold of by the AD - whatever that meant!
Bob-a-Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 09:09 PM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've mostly bought from an ADs back when you got the watch brand new, even saw the coffin sometimes, not all this after a farewell tour for all the local miscreants and flippers, really takes the lux out of a luxury purchase. And these models I've seen are not stickered or protected in any way, crazy way to do business, but shows the contempt they have for all their desperados.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 10:23 PM   #38
Pablito
"TRF" Member

I guess those exhibition watches end their life in the CPO department ahaha
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote