The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 August 2021, 05:49 PM   #1
Top_Clock
"TRF" Member

Question about single sealed Nautilus 5980a

Hi,

Recently I was offered a brand new and single sealed 5980a with blue dial. My concern is that watch doesn’t have watch tag that should be inside in sealed plastic, under clasp. Or maybe in 2013, watch tag was supplied separate?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 193A06CF-5153-46E0-B8CB-B5064D5C9BBC.jpeg (84.0 KB, 338 views)
Top_Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 07:43 PM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
The tag was not supplied separately from my memory. Second, single sealed means nothing as you have zero way of knowing if it was resealed. That means you have zero way of actually knowing if watch was worn or used. Only double sealed means anything as it actually confirms watch is unworn and truly new.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 07:56 PM   #3
Top_Clock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
The tag was not supplied separately from my memory. Second, single sealed means nothing as you have zero way of knowing if it was resealed. That means you have zero way of actually knowing if watch was worn or used. Only double sealed means anything as it actually confirms watch is unworn and truly new.
Thank you for kind feedback. The problem is, that the seller who ofered me this watch is very reputable. He keeps confirming that it is brand new and in never opened plastic bag. Is there any other way to check? Nobody wants to be scamed
Old 12 August 2021, 08:44 PM   #4
Xerxes77
Banned

Very hard…
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 10:20 PM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

For OP, what kind of tag are you referring to?

I have purchased Patek watches brand new in 2013. But I don't remember the AD including a tag.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 10:50 PM   #6
Top_Clock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
For OP, what kind of tag are you referring to?

I have purchased Patek watches brand new in 2013. But I don't remember the AD including a tag.
I was referring to watch hang tag with model information and serial number. Just like in attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B9B37036-8B62-42A9-98E9-007F3427C774.jpeg (212.2 KB, 268 views)
Old 12 August 2021, 11:15 PM   #7
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
My 5980 came sealed in a Patek cardboard box. However, it had been serviced and never opened. Essentially looked new when I received it, but I knew that the watch was used since the dealer was clear. He had a receipt for the service, but again, it was single sealed but not new. Of course there was no hang tag on it, just a sponge inside the sealed package, and the cardboard shipping box emblazoned with patek name and logo that we are all familiar with. Maybe it was serviced pre-sale?
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 11:32 PM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

If you are concerned if the watch is single sealed and never been opened/worn vs single sealed after a service, it really depends on how much you trust the seller.

Is the seller the original purchaser? Does the seller know the original purchaser and bought the watch directly from the original purchaser? Or has the watch been through several people and the full history of the watch is not known?

Unfortunately many single sealed watches go through the hands of many watch resellers and you may never know the full history. The last watch seller may only have the information provided to him from the previous reseller saying it was never worn and passing on that information.

I wouldnt pay a premium for a single sealed watch unless you are purchasing it for "investment" purposes. If you are going to wear it, I am don't know if it makes much of a difference if it was never worn or serviced and sealed.

Just my 2c for what it is worth.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 11:58 PM   #9
Top_Clock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
If you are concerned if the watch is single sealed and never been opened/worn vs single sealed after a service, it really depends on how much you trust the seller.

Is the seller the original purchaser? Does the seller know the original purchaser and bought the watch directly from the original purchaser? Or has the watch been through several people and the full history of the watch is not known?

Unfortunately many single sealed watches go through the hands of many watch resellers and you may never know the full history. The last watch seller may only have the information provided to him from the previous reseller saying it was never worn and passing on that information.

I wouldnt pay a premium for a single sealed watch unless you are purchasing it for "investment" purposes. If you are going to wear it, I am don't know if it makes much of a difference if it was never worn or serviced and sealed.

Just my 2c for what it is worth.
I didn’t know that after service a watch coming in single sealed plastic. So maybe this explains how the brand new watch comes without hang tag…
Thanks for your input! This seller is not original purchaser, the watch came through several people.
Old 13 August 2021, 12:17 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Possible that it's service sealed, so as-new yet serviced with two year warranty (and probably polished too). Ask to get the service papers too so you have the date.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 12:31 AM   #11
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Like service sealed. I just bought a new 5712 and I recall the vacuum bag having stickers on it. It was my first time seeing one in person, but I figured the stickers were for inventory control from factory.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote