The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2021, 12:43 AM   #31
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Of the two choices I would go with the classic DJ 36mm with the fluted bezel and on the jubilee bracelet. And yes you can wear it with a suit or tuxedo and it looks great. It can be dressed up or down and does well with straps should you choose. The prices are only going to continue moving up and what would cost a bit today will be more in a year or two. JLC is a great brand and it is hard to offer much criticism of the watches or the movements. The only thing is they do not hold the value of expensive watches and fall like a rock in the secondary market. It is also difficult to get many dealers to take them pre-owned unless they are very unique as the market is limited. You maybe able to find an amazing deal on one though the pre-owned market but when you factor in service costs and time to complete the service it is just not that appealing to me. With a smaller wrist I would recommend that you go to the Grand Seiko Boutique and check out the strap models of what can be described as one of the best brands for the money out there. Also a Cartier pre-owned Tank could also fit the bill and not break the bank. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 02:40 AM   #32
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I am always looking for my next watch and my Rolex AD had the JLC Reverso Grand Taille and I fell in love! The sub-dial and dial are mesmerizing. It is really versatile with the various bands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reverso - New Band.jpg (67.0 KB, 185 views)
vesnyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 02:51 AM   #33
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Just tried a reverso medium yesterday. I have thin wrists and daily a 114060 sub. Loved the width and quality of the strap and how thin the case is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 03:10 AM   #34
kearez
"TRF" Member

I’d go with the DJ. Check out other dial combos Blue motif, silver. I have oyster, fluted, with a black dial works well for any situation. Only one I’d consider going to would be the blue motif. I’d also check out the Cartier Santos in medium.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 03:12 AM   #35
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

You already have a classic Rolex. I would go with the Reverso. We have a medium size SS with second hand in the family. Beautiful piece and a classy dress watch that’s not in your face. A Datejust for me is always in this awkward spot of not being a sports watch and not being a dress watch either. Always appears a bit tacky and “wanna be” to me with the fluted bezel and the cyclops.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 03:13 AM   #36
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Just tried a reverso medium yesterday. I have thin wrists and daily a 114060 sub. Loved the width and quality of the strap and how thin the case is.

I think that’s a winner for your wrist.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 03:28 AM   #37
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Looks great!

Quote:

Just tuck in the strap holder/minder.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 03:29 AM   #38
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Just tuck in the strap holder/minder.

Actually my least favorite part of this watch. Can it be removed from the strap all together? The pin buckle on the JLC doesn’t bother me so much as other brands but I do wish it had a deploying clasp to hide the strap better

Old 13 December 2021, 03:30 AM   #39
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
I think that’s a winner for your wrist.

Thank you! Giving it strong thought vs a Cartier tank

Old 13 December 2021, 08:42 AM   #40
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Thank you all!

It seems I'm swaying a bit more towards the Datejust. Hmm, perhaps if I go with the Datejust, do you think it'd be possible to get some discount on a Monoface? :D That might perhaps make me feel more okay going with both (as I said, it'd be the Mono if I'd go with both).

Otherwise, do you think the configuration is ok? Blue sunburst dial, fluted bezel and Oyster. I really prefer the Oyster before the Jubilee. Although, regarding the dial, do you guys still like your blue dials? I'm worried that it isn't versatile. Although the others, like a white dial, might get boring. I've also thought about the fluted blue dial, but that might be a too much with the fluted bezel. I've also thought if the smooth bezel might be more versatile and less flashy, but I don't want a super scratched bezel, which I guess smooth bezel will look like after a while.

Also, what about pairing the Datejust with straps sometimes? Do you guys do it? I think I read somewhere here that the lugs damage straps though.

Also, regarding the Reverso. I'm thinking if the Duoface might be a bit too thich. It's unfortunate that the Monofaces doesn't come with a deploying clasp, which the Duoface has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I always thought the duoface was the bigger model, but it looks like the smaller one in your pics? Have you considered a Cartier Tank as well?
The Duoface is just a big (42.9 X 25.5mm), but a bit thicker. Perhaps it's the thicker strap that makes the lugs on the Duoface sit better? I don't know, what does everyone else think?
Lord Tomato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 11:11 AM   #41
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Quote:
Actually my least favorite part of this watch. Can it be removed from the strap all together? The pin buckle on the JLC doesn’t bother me so much as other brands but I do wish it had a deploying clasp to hide the strap better

I believe the reverso tribute monoface has a deployant.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 11:12 AM   #42
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Process View Post
I believe the reverso tribute monoface has a deployant.

I’ve read you can purchase a deployant from JLC but it’s pricey. Not sure of the exact number but if it’s in steel and less than 300 usd it’s probably worth it.

Old 13 December 2021, 12:32 PM   #43
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
JLC are terrible. Life’s too short stick to rolex.
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 12:54 PM   #44
juve
"TRF" Member

JLC Reverso
juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 01:09 PM   #45
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I love my Reverso Duodate. It’s a grand size and on my 6.5in wrist, it’s on the edge of too big.

Sadly, I barely wear it. I have to make it a point to take it out of the watch box to give it time.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 01:57 PM   #46
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
JLC are terrible.
Really ??
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 02:57 PM   #47
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
JLC are terrible.
Yeahhh. Real low quality timepiece.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 02:58 PM   #48
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I’m not sure I’d agree with this. I think a DJ41 wears smaller on the wrist than a large Reverso.

Tapatalk
I think OP is taking 36mm

Old 13 December 2021, 04:58 PM   #49
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

I have a small wrist like yours and got inherited with an early 80s DJ36 and only recently I finally pull a trigger on a Reverso Classique. I know this is TRF so naturally DJ is highly recommended and it is a timeless classic but as for my preference, when consider my watch will never be sold, value retaining isn't in my consideration but style is, I'll choose Reverso.

For 20 years I try to add a Reverso in my collection but i can't decide on size. I occasionally see Reverso on other people's wrist, I found they just look too big. I went for 38x23, a spec that is close to original Reverso in 1931. Today this size is consider to be ladies. Unless you are used to vintage watch size, 38x23 I would not recommend to other. 40x24 is in my opinion the perfect size Reverso on your wrist. Perfect balance and thin, not obtrusive. It will sit perfectly within the wrist and I think that is how Reverso should be worn.

I have posted images on Instagram under wuyeah1980, feel free to check and determine the size for yourself and go to store to trying it out. I am ok to wear my Reverso casual without and issue. A simple change of straps Reverso can offer you different look, which I think it is real nice.

If you will be restrained by re-sale value then, Rolex is always the best choice.
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 06:33 PM   #50
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Reversos ooze utter class and understated timeless elegance in my humble view. Simply a must have watch for sure.
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 07:54 PM   #51
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
I have a small wrist like yours and got inherited with an early 80s DJ36 and only recently I finally pull a trigger on a Reverso Classique. I know this is TRF so naturally DJ is highly recommended and it is a timeless classic but as for my preference, when consider my watch will never be sold, value retaining isn't in my consideration but style is, I'll choose Reverso.

For 20 years I try to add a Reverso in my collection but i can't decide on size. I occasionally see Reverso on other people's wrist, I found they just look too big. I went for 38x23, a spec that is close to original Reverso in 1931. Today this size is consider to be ladies. Unless you are used to vintage watch size, 38x23 I would not recommend to other. 40x24 is in my opinion the perfect size Reverso on your wrist. Perfect balance and thin, not obtrusive. It will sit perfectly within the wrist and I think that is how Reverso should be worn.

I have posted images on Instagram under wuyeah1980, feel free to check and determine the size for yourself and go to store to trying it out. I am ok to wear my Reverso casual without and issue. A simple change of straps Reverso can offer you different look, which I think it is real nice.

If you will be restrained by re-sale value then, Rolex is always the best choice.
I don't think they have a smaller Small Seconds model than 42.9 X 25.5mm. The smaller models lack a seconds hand, which I'd prefer to have.

What do you guys think about wearing the DJ with leather straps though? I'm still thinking about fluted vs not fluted and whether I should go with Jubilee/Oyster. The first combo that sang to my was the fluted bezel with Oyster. I don't know if I worry to much about the bezel being to blingy (thus meaning higher robbery risks)... I'm pretty set on the blue dial though, although I've thought about if the darker dial might make it look visually even smaller? God, too many variables to think of. :/
Old 14 December 2021, 12:23 AM   #52
stevestil
"TRF" Member

both amazing watches, but i would personally absolutely go DJ. im not a fan of the reverso and dont ever see myself adding one to my collection but i do appreciate it for what it is.
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 01:10 AM   #53
JohnGT3RS
"TRF" Member

To change things up, I just bought a Reverso Classic Duoface Small seconds. I have a pretty big wrist. I think it looks great. I couldn't be happier.
JohnGT3RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:27 AM   #54
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tomato View Post
I don't think they have a smaller Small Seconds model than 42.9 X 25.5mm. The smaller models lack a seconds hand, which I'd prefer to have.

What do you guys think about wearing the DJ with leather straps though? I'm still thinking about fluted vs not fluted and whether I should go with Jubilee/Oyster. The first combo that sang to my was the fluted bezel with Oyster. I don't know if I worry to much about the bezel being to blingy (thus meaning higher robbery risks)... I'm pretty set on the blue dial though, although I've thought about if the darker dial might make it look visually even smaller? God, too many variables to think of. :/
42.9x25.5 will def be too big for me. Maybe it will work for you. Be sure to try it out for sure.
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 03:12 AM   #55
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
42.9x25.5 will def be too big for me. Maybe it will work for you. Be sure to try it out for sure.
I have an Imgur link in my first post with both the Mono and Duoface on my wrists. :)
Old 14 December 2021, 03:17 AM   #56
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
I think that you need to decide how and when the watch will be worn, the Rolex is for me a very stylish classical watch that can be utilised in almost any situation, the Reverso however is more of a formal watch, yes it can be worn with jeans and a T but you wouldn't take it on the beach or anywhere near a pool, areas in which the DJ is happy.

Both excellent and potentially a difficult choice, good luck.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 10:25 AM   #57
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Grab a classic datejust.

Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 11:01 AM   #58
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Huge thread here, not sure what I can add of value but I'll try.

The Reverso is of course the dressier of the two, you can maybe dumb it down a little bit with a different leather / suede strap, but even then it will be for smart-casual wear and nothing fully casual. So if you're after the real dedicated dress watch this is the one.

I've always loved the Reverso and it's history but every-time I try it on it doesn't really speak to me and I've never ended up buying one. I think it might have something to do with the case shape on my wrist, and I also have small flat wrists at 6.5 inches.

The DJ is the classic reference, recognizable as a Rolex from miles away. Extremely versatile like nearly all Rolex models. It can be fully casual, or worn with a suite. The 36mm fits absolutely perfect on our small wrist size. This would be my choice, and I'm actually kind of eyeing the DJ 36 as a possible purchase. I would have to go for the traditional jubilee with fluted bezel combo though, it just gives off those nostalgic vibes. I'm thinking the palm dial paired with a Hawaiian shirt on a tropical vacation.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 11:16 AM   #59
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Depends on your wrist size. Reverso if small, DJ if larger.
Quote:
I’m not sure I’d agree with this. I think a DJ41 wears smaller on the wrist than a large Reverso.

The Reverso wears much bigger than the stated dimensions because it’s square.

I’d recommend the medium sized Reverso for anyone with 7.25” wrists or less.

For these types of watches, they look a lot better when they have a smaller foot print on the wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
I think OP is taking 36mm

I'm not sure what your point is.

The original post I responded to asserted that the Reverso wears smaller than a datejust. I disagree with that. I responded by saying a DJ41 wears smaller than a large Reverso (which is 100% true by the way). That's great that the OP is getting a 36, but that's not relevant to this specific exchange.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:14 PM   #60
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is.

The original post I responded to asserted that the Reverso wears smaller than a datejust. I disagree with that. I responded by saying a DJ41 wears smaller than a large Reverso (which is 100% true by the way). That's great that the OP is getting a 36, but that's not relevant to this specific exchange.

But if a DJ41 wears smaller than a large reverso, wouldn’t a 36 wear bigger than a medium reverso?