The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2021, 02:01 PM   #1
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
When will they update the Daytona to 36k

One of my hang ups with the Daytona is it’s only 28k vph and to time to a 10th of a second you need 36k vph like the El Primero.

I think Rolex will want this achievement because it’s. Very Rolex thing to do. Just wonder how long it’ll take them to update it. They can sell plenty without any changes but that’s not the Rolex way. Always improving.

I feel like they can use their improved power reserve tech from the OP lineup and keep that high PR with a high BR.

If this isn’t the next significant movement update what do you think will be?

A thinner 9001?

Wildcard idea: make a pilots style chronograph using the next gen 4130 successor in a new Air King.
Old 14 December 2021, 02:05 PM   #2
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Nobody uses the Daytona to time anything, except maybe steak on a grill.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:09 PM   #3
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Rolex already had a 36k VPH when they adopted the Zenith El Primero back in the 90s. They down regulated the movement to 28k at great expense to increase durability and extend the power reserve.

I think that this reality indicates their thoughts on higher beat movements. But hey, who knows?
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:10 PM   #4
SaintMickey
Banned

They have already upgraded the White Dial to over $36,000 go see Grey Market....
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:19 PM   #5
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post

And making tomato sauce.

28.8 is fine with me.

And this one’s only 21.6. Oh, the humanity!

Just kidding around, OP. Nothing wrong with wanting tech advancement.
Old 14 December 2021, 02:26 PM   #6
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

The el primero was simplified to reduce production cost, service intervals and service costs, and power reserve. But Rolex downgraded the movement because they had to. They don’t like being number 2 especially to their old partner Zenith. They will without a doubt update their 20 year old movement soon.

My guess is Milgauss is updated to 3230 movement.

The Airking could be Rolex’s next chronograph sharing a movement with the new Daytona.

Really only 3 watches in the lineup with 20+ year old movements left to go. I think either this year or next we will see it.

I’m sure Rolex has been planning the upgrade for 2 decades and steaming that they aren’t able to beat their old partners. Looking forward to seeing the new movement.

Plexiglass is just fine for some. This is not the Rolex way. There will always be hand wound, zenith powered. And LBR Daytonas for vintage collectors. Bring on the 21st century Daytonas I say!

Wonder what wild dial combos they would have with the new one.

My favorite is the orange sapphire bezel and the white gold with blue dial. The green dial is pretty but a little too intense for a daily wear. Maybe a rose gold/olive dial or a white gold/olive dial. That would be nice.
Old 14 December 2021, 02:42 PM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
The el primero was simplified to reduce production cost, service intervals and service costs, and power reserve. But Rolex downgraded the movement because they had to. They don’t like being number 2 especially to their old partner Zenith. They will without a doubt update their 20 year old movement soon.

My guess is Milgauss is updated to 3230 movement.

The Airking could be Rolex’s next chronograph sharing a movement with the new Daytona.

Really only 3 watches in the lineup with 20+ year old movements left to go. I think either this year or next we will see it.

I’m sure Rolex has been planning the upgrade for 2 decades and steaming that they aren’t able to beat their old partners. Looking forward to seeing the new movement.

Plexiglass is just fine for some. This is not the Rolex way. There will always be hand wound, zenith powered. And LBR Daytonas for vintage collectors. Bring on the 21st century Daytonas I say!

Wonder what wild dial combos they would have with the new one.

My favorite is the orange sapphire bezel and the white gold with blue dial. The green dial is pretty but a little too intense for a daily wear. Maybe a rose gold/olive dial or a white gold/olive dial. That would be nice.

I don’t think Rolex is the #2 brand to anyone in watchmaking unless you’re including Apple and let’s just pretend they don’t exist.

The zenith 16520 is not plexiglass or a manual. The 4 digit Daytonas with plexi came with valijoux manuals. What’s an LBR?

One point we agree on is that Rolex is well overdue to update the Daytona but that’s just the way watchmaking goes. Do nothing and people praise you.
Old 14 December 2021, 03:53 PM   #8
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I think if Rolex updated the Daytona to 36,000 VPH, they’d probably go ahead and do the full line-up, although probably start with the Daytona. The Daytona movement doesn’t necessarily need an upgrade—although I do think it’s the “oldest” in the collection now, aside from maybe the Milgauss or Cellini (can’t remember what movement for those two).
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 04:35 PM   #9
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Exactly this.

By the way, the whole "1/10th second timing" on the Zenith chronograph is not my cup of tea. I prefer the rotating second hand to adopt the normal 60 second convention of a dial, not some strange 10 second register.
Old 14 December 2021, 04:39 PM   #10
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Leave the 4130 be ,its brilliant .

Just like the 3135 ..and then the 3235 came <<
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 11:25 PM   #11
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

I was just saying Rolex isn’t one to be stagnant especially with it’s movements. If a competitor is beating them they will try to pull ahead. Automatic chronographs are pretty difficult to pull off so it’s not surprising the 4130 has lasted so long.

Milgauss and Airking are still rockin the 31xx from the 90s.

There’s always going to be people who say the good ol days were better with carbon steel main springs, plastic crystals and radium lume. For the majority of us we want better.

And I agree with the other poster that I think all their movements will be upgraded to high beat rate after the Daytona, YM2 and potentially another chronograph model get the update.

LBR is low beat rate 28k VPH. It’s industry standard but I consider it LBR when competitors are at 36k now.
Old 14 December 2021, 11:38 PM   #12
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Exactly this.

By the way, the whole "1/10th second timing" on the Zenith chronograph is not my cup of tea. I prefer the rotating second hand to adopt the normal 60 second convention of a dial, not some strange 10 second register.

I’m not sure what you mean.

A 36k vph just ticks 10 times per second instead of 28k’s 8 times per second. It just allows for a more accurate timing and a smoother sweep of the hands.

In addition, 10th of a second is what actual racing and other measuring applications use. Nobody measures things in 8th of a second. For example 8.9 seconds is 8 seconds, 9 tenths of a second. Trying to measure that in 8th of a seconds would be really wonky with a lot of decimal places.

Having a high beat rate does not affect what information the subdial is reflecting, it is only more accurate.

In your example, the seconds subdial would look and function identical other than it sweeping more smoothly. The biggest difference would be noticed by the chronograph seconds hand. It would sweep much more smoothly and stop more precisely for more accurate timing. It would just look and feel more luxurious too.
Old 15 December 2021, 12:01 AM   #13
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Try the Breguet type XXII, it can measure 1/20 of a second.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 12:28 AM   #14
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subprimero View Post
Try the Breguet type XXII, it can measure 1/20 of a second.

72k vph would be great but Rolex wouldn’t tolerate such a low power reserve. They think like I think. Incremental improvements. No side grades. They don’t want to make compromises like they had to make in the past. Now they’re fully integrated and can make their own decisions.

36k vph is really the perfect balance for proper, contextually accurate timing and a good power reserve.

I’ve noticed that Zeniths new el primeros and even Grand Seiko hi beats have been getting more popular. It’s only a matter of time until Rolex catches up and meets the new standards.

For feng shui type people we really want the seconds divided into 10ths so the hand lands directly on 1/10 intervals then directly in between the indices at .5 seconds and not .625.

This is getting into horological nerdiness that jewelry enthusiasts have no interest in and I get that.
Old 15 December 2021, 02:03 AM   #15
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Can't see them ever going to 36,000, they don't have to compete with anyone. Also, that would mean a more frequent service interval.

The Breguet classique chrono 7727 has a 72,000 vph movement which also boasts a 60 hour power reserve. Rolex isn't getting anywhere near that in a Daytona.
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:17 AM   #16
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I really do not care 28,800 vs 36K.
In the long run the ability to control your finger-push response and the pusher actuation has a bit of slop to it anyway.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:36 AM   #17
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Oh Rolex absolutely has to compete. There’s no way they aren’t innovating. I’m sure they have a large R&D department section working on it right now.

If they do their homework they can improve all elements of the movement. I’m confident they are not going to be foiled and can figure it out just like they did with the 32xx.

For me it’s not as important that the timing be 1/10th precise because it’s not a practical complication. It’s that the intent of the Cosmograph and Daytona were space timing and auto race timing. Both which use 1/10th second measurements. So having 8th measurements is just sort of faking the funk so to speak. It’s like having a submariner that isn’t water resistant. Sure it would still sell and most people don’t care about those things it’s just jewelry. But for horological nerds it’s the purity of it which makes it appealing.
Old 15 December 2021, 02:41 AM   #18
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
I don't think anyone buying the Daytona cares, maybe 0.05% of buyers would care.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:44 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Exactly this.

I really do not like the seconds hand flying around the dial. I much prefer a 60 second sweep.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:55 AM   #20
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:

I was just saying Rolex isn’t one to be stagnant especially with it’s movements.

Quote:

Milgauss and Airking are still rockin the 31xx from the 90s.
Kinda of contradictory

But, I think you're wrong. Rolex can be very slow to develop and change. Historically I think that's what drove the value retention. Yearly price increases for little or no development.
Old 15 December 2021, 03:08 AM   #21
Sothy
"TRF" Member

I would prefer if they just updated the dial and has 3 ticks instead of 4 sub-second tick marks between each second. That way it would mark 0.00, 0.25, 0.50, 0.75. It would accurately portray what a 28800 motor can do.
Sothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 04:34 AM   #22
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
I don't think anyone buying the Daytona cares, maybe 0.05% of buyers would care.

100% agree most Daytona buyers have no interest in watches whatsoever. This is purely for enthusiasts and Rolex brand reputation historically speaking.

I prefer a central seconds hand myself but I don’t mind trying to keep the current subdial and chronograph central seconds hand the way it is. The superfast chronograph hand on the El Primero can be a little dizzying. I don’t think Rolex would change the Daytona dials and hands. I could see the new chronograph movement going in a new Airking pilots chronograph with central seconds and changing up the subdials slightly maybe. Or the 4161 getting changed up a bit.

I think in Rolex years you gotta think in decades. So while it does take them 20-25 years to make a new movement, they will make a new movement. They aren’t ones to keep the same design for 60 years and call it a heritage or vintage inspired movement. They just want what’s practical for the current situation. An example would be the speed master using the old 321 movement developed in 1957.

So yea 20-25 years old is a long time for a movement to be in production for Rolex but not as far as other watchmakers take it. Rolex is always improving.

The 41xx is their oldest movement now with the 32xx being updated. While the Milgauss and Airking haven’t been upgraded it’s not because they lack the movement for it. The Daytona hasn’t been updated because they just haven’t finished the 4230 and 4261 yet. I bet they’re really close to finishing it though. Which is the original intent of this thread. Not really a discussion on values or anything like that.

I don’t think slow development is the reason behind the value retention at all. If anything it’s the continued development and consistent improvement in technology while retaining the same basic design and style elements to create iconic pieces; and reputation for durability.

Nowadays it’s also very much just brand recognition to the point someone stated earlier that people who have zero interest in watches and know nothing at all about the Daytona, still buy Daytonas. But that’s a different discussion.

I’m going to throw my hat in the ring and say 2022 is the year of the Milgauss/Airking, 2023 will be the year of the Daytona marking the 60 year anniversary with a new 4230 movement, updated case design, new starting price in steel around $15,300.
Old 15 December 2021, 04:39 AM   #23
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I passed on a Daytona because of the movement...said nobody ever.

I passed for other reasons but I don't expect any Rolex to be high Horology.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 05:21 AM   #24
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I passed on a Daytona because of the movement...said nobody ever.

I passed for other reasons but I don't expect any Rolex to be high Horology.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

It’s the exact reason I don’t want the current one. I’m waiting for the updated movement. I genuinely have no interest in hype. Never been the trendy type and have always been more of a tastemaker.

I’d like to see a slight case update similar to the OP lineup as well and potentially a jubilee option for bracelet.

I think the Daytona comes on oyster, oyster flex, leather. Would be nice to see jubilee added to the mix.
Old 15 December 2021, 07:17 AM   #25
Aquinas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was just saying Rolex isn’t one to be stagnant especially with it’s movements. If a competitor is beating them they will try to pull ahead.
On the other hand, most omegas have a superior magnetic resistance to the one Rolex that actually advertises with its magnetic resistance, so unless they turn the milgauss into the MEGAGAUSS next year i have to disagree with your opinion
Aquinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 07:19 AM   #26
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquinas View Post
On the other hand, most omegas have a superior magnetic resistance to the one Rolex that actually advertises with its magnetic resistance, so unless they turn the milgauss into the MEGAGAUSS next year i have to disagree with your opinion

Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see a new Milgauss with insane magnetic resistance. Every brand has their niche but Rolex is competitive at the basics.
Old 15 December 2021, 07:23 AM   #27
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote