The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2021, 02:24 AM   #1
bboenker
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Ebay Authenticity Guarantee

what are the thoughts about this? does it work. I see there there are watches for sale at prices similar to what you can find elsewhere with the guarantee and watches for way cheaper without.

I am in the market for a white gold GMT.

I have bought a limited Breitling on ebay with the guarantee.

I guess my real question is are fake watches getting through the ebay inspectors?
bboenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:27 AM   #2
PhilK
"TRF" Member

Personally speaking, I would never want to sell a decent watch through ebay knowing it is about to be handled by a 3rd party inspector (who could cause damage to the watch prior to it getting to the new owner).

Similarly, I would never (as a buyer) want to rely upon an Ebay inspector to validate the watch is correct. How could we ensure their knowledge is strong enough?
PhilK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:36 AM   #3
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Chrono24 with their escrow service is secure and allows you to authenticate.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:40 AM   #4
blue17
"TRF" Member

Having just used the service, I wouldn't worry about them damaging the watch. However, the quality of their guarantee comes with a few caveats. Will they confirm it's a real Rolex? Mainly, but they do not take off the casebook (plus or minus for some). They will not do the due diligence of confirming whether all parts are of similar model years to the watch or whether a crystal is original, etc.
blue17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:41 AM   #5
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Yes, I'm still not sure what level of checks ebay actually undertake, or what their ability to actually spot fakes (especially the latest horrendously close fakes) is really like.

Additionally as noted above, you have no idea how it will have been handled by the ebay inspector. They may have popped the case-back off, etc.... you just don't know.

Many years ago I had a battery change done on a quartz Seiko diver a local AD, and they didn't replace the gasket when they put the case-back back on. As a result it leaked the first time I came into contact with water. You don't want that happening with your white gold GMT!
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:51 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboenker View Post
I guess my real question is are fake watches getting through the ebay inspectors?
If you are even asking that question, why would you want to buy there?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:52 AM   #7
SaintMickey
Banned

I've been on eBay since March of 1998 and have bought and sold dozens of Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Seiko etc. and never had a problem. Having said that I just bought a Tudor Smilie 79220b and it went through the process.

Very impressed with the process and liked the added "guarantee". Also I think the program makes it harder for the blatant scammers...they have to ship something and/or the correct watch. Granted it was only a Tudor and not a white gold Daytona but...I believe it went to Stoll and Co in Ohio so it wasn't just any "yahoo".

And let me say none of this overrides "buy the seller"...also I am not sure I had an option so it went to authenticator. I would have bought as it was a good deal without the authenticator as I have for 20 years.

SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 03:06 AM   #8
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilK View Post
Personally speaking, I would never want to sell a decent watch through ebay knowing it is about to be handled by a 3rd party inspector (who could cause damage to the watch prior to it getting to the new owner).

Similarly, I would never (as a buyer) want to rely upon an Ebay inspector to validate the watch is correct. How could we ensure their knowledge is strong enough?
do ebay allow those inspectors to open up the case back?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 03:10 AM   #9
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Bought a few pairs of Gucci sneakers for gifts and one of them failed authentication, so got my money back immediately. For sneakers, I can say it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 03:18 AM   #10
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboenker View Post
what are the thoughts about this? I guess my real question is are fake watches getting through the ebay inspectors?
I’ve used it as a buyer for a vintage Heuer Siffert and they identified the watch used some incorrect parts that I already knew about from my own observation of the listing.
But it so happened that I already had the correct replacement parts.
So when they informed the seller of the non original parts it really motivated them to unload the watch for parts.
I ended up getting it for less than 1/2 the original asking price in the end and made it 100% with my own correct parts.

So if you are mindful of your options as a collector it may be advantageous to you.
Additionally, I believe they do not force you to go along 100% with what the authenticator say.
The original eBay guarantee is still available to you if you are not satisfied.

In the case of you wanting to get a WG GMT, as long as you know exactly what to look for on an authentic watch I believe you should be fine with the process.
KY.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 05:35 AM   #11
Ufjdmba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
do ebay allow those inspectors to open up the case back?
From what I’ve been told yes they can. This obviously raises a lot of issues.
Ufjdmba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 05:49 AM   #12
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The person doing the authentication work would have to have access to the movement and when the watch is opened the authenticator would need access to what a real Rolex movement of that caliber looks like in terms of metals, finishing, screw colors etc. Do they have access to such information? Then the watch would need to be closed and water resistance tested. Does the authenticator provide that? What if the Ebay authenticator said the watch is authentic and some years down the road you send the watch to Rolex for service and they reject the watch as not authentic. Your authenticity guarantee is only good during sellers return period. So what would you do if you found something negative in the future? Best is buy it and send to Rolex for authentication or service to be sure or, If you have reason to believe the seller is reliable and experienced, then you are probably fine and have nothing to worry about.
Old 15 December 2021, 06:13 AM   #13
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Don't spend more that a couple thousand on a watch from ebay. A WG GMT? You are nuts, buy from a reputable dealer
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 07:13 AM   #14
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufjdmba View Post
From what I’ve been told yes they can. This obviously raises a lot of issues.
Geting a Miyota movement in your Rolex would probably be worse.

"....one of eBay’s authenticators: Stoll & Co. They authenticate “several hundred” watches per day. They open the vast majority of the watches sent for authentication (around 90 percent) and examine new watches with exhibition casebacks through the caseback. But, as eBay says, they do not check watches for accuracy."

https://www.americaswatchmaker.com
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote