The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 August 2005, 01:18 AM   #1
----

Watch Shopping on Saturday (Long)

My wife and I drove to Toronto to do some shopping on Saturday, and I thought I would share our day with all of you! Since my wife was not really too interested in spending hours in watch stores (again!), I picked up a friend of mine and his girlfriend - the women went shopping for clothes, and us guys went shopping for watches. He is a budding WIS, but really has no money as he is saving for an engagement ring (his only mechanical is a Seiko that I bought for him). Anyway, he was quite eager to hit the stores with me.

Our first stop was Van Rijks, who sell a ton of vintage (used) watches, but nothing new. We spent a while in there, and I saw a nice 3919 Patek that I really like, but quickly forgot about that when I saw the Lange 1 in the display case. I have never seen one in the metal, but have admired them for a long time. It was in white gold (not my choice) with a blue dial and blue leather strap. Even in my last choice of metals, it was stunning. One day I will own one of these. The quality of the dial, case, movement - it was all probably the best I have ever seen. The price was $22K, and they had noted that "list" was $32K (Canadian dollars, of course). Since the only dealer in Canada is in Montreal, I may make a trip to Montreal some time in the future.......I felt quite lucky to find one in Toronto.

We had parked the car, so we took the subway around town to the other stores. The next stop was Birks - this is where I bought my JLC, and had recently ordered a new strap, so we popped in to see what they had. I once again tried on a Reverso and was disappointed with the look on my wrist. It simply reinforces my thought that I need to see a watch on me to know it's right (like the Lange....sorry, I'm obsessed with that watch now). My new strap wasn't in yet, so we moved on.

The next stop was Royal De Versailles - without a doubt the biggest selection in Toronto. They have Breguet, Blancpain, Rolex, Chopard, UN, Hublot, Panerai, Tag, Ebel, GP, UN, AP, VC, and on and on...... For the first time I looked at a Panerai. Sorry guys, not something I could wear with my wrist size, and not sure I'd want to.... We found a salesman who knew his stuff, and was quite willing to show us basically anything we wanted even though it was clear we weren't going to buy anything. I tried on a nice Blancpain ultra-slim model in platinum that was very nice. I tried the "small" Panerai that was still huge. Actually I was surprised that they were quite reasonable in price - I think the "entry" level was $5,100 Canadian. I tried on a bunch of others, but then asked if the sales guy would indulge me a bit. They keep the really expensive stuff in the wall display cases behind the counters. I asked to see a Blancpain tourbillon (actually a chronograph and perpetual calendar as well as a tourbillon). It was incredible done in rose gold. I could not help but stare at that magical cage rotating around......I think if I owned one it would be too captivating to watch - I'd just stare at it all the time. Of course, at a retail of $132,000, it's not likely I will ever own one. I have attached a picture for your reference, so enjoy!

After spending an hour in there, we went to Tiffany's just down the street. They carry Patek, and once again I saw a 3919, this time a new one. The used one was $10K, and new they are $15K. I also tried on a 5117, which is another that I have admired for a long time (I like the hobnail as you can tell from my choices). It was nice, but after having it on my wrist, I've crossed it off my list.

We then hopped on the subway again to go down to the next store - Solaris. I'd never been there before, and thanks to John this was the place! They had UN, JLC, and some others, but I saw what is probably my next watch there. Glashutte Original was what I went there to see, and I'm hooked! In particular, I really like the PanoReserve. In stainless, it's quite reasonable at $10,200. Incredible finishing abounds - very nice 3/4 plate, double swan-neck regulation, screwed chatons - top notch all around from what I saw. My wife (who had joined us at this point) really liked it as well, so looks like I have a chance at this one.......might need to sell the Rolex to do it, though. Here is a shot of it:

We then walked up to The Eaton's Centre, which is a huge mall in Toronto. We went to one last store - La Swiss. They sell some lower priced brands, but also have a limited selection of JLC, UN, and Zenith (seems they are not AD's for Rolex any longer). My friend spent quite a lot of time going through their Oris selection, as well as some Tags. I think he is really focused on the Oris, and they actually have some very nice models. They had a nice Vacheron there that was in white gold - simple dress watch with a very nice pattern on the white dial - probably the nicest VC I've seen (for me at least). It was quite a good deal (on consignment) at just over $10K I thought, but I'm not that familiar with pricing for this brand. I tried on my last watch of the day there, a UN Sonata. It was quite a stunning watch - very unusual design. It's not something that would normally attract me, but for some reason this one did. It's an alarm watch, and quite expensive at just over $69K, but it had an elegance that made it stunning. My friend said it was the kind of thing you would see in a modern art gallery, and that sums it up quite well I think. I have always wanted to like UN, but can't seem to find a model that has all the elements for me. Each seems to have bits here and there that I like very much, but not one with enough to light the fire. Here is the Sonata I had on:

Anyway, we had dinner and then drove 2 hours home. It was a great day - long, tiring, and full of dreams.

Thanks for reading!

Al
Old 23 August 2005, 01:55 AM   #2
Atomic

Thanks for sharing the story Al. It sounds similar to the trip I took Finwhiz on a couple of years back.

For the record, that Lange 1 was at VanRijk's when Rodolfo and I were there and the price was the same. Shows that Alex and Pina (vanrijk) don't wiggle their prices much, and that no one is willing to drop $22K when for an extra $10 (or less if you can get a discount) you can get it new. But it is a BEAUTIFUL watch!

However, as nice as the Lange's are, I do like Glashutte better. Notice my 'money no option choices' in another thread? The PanoReserve is right up there on my dream watch list. Hell, I'd be doing backflips if I could get a plan old SS GO Senator with panorama date.

Rodolfo and I did the same at RDV and tried on a few nice watches, including the platinum GP Worldtimer, listed at CDN$55,000 on a strap or $110,000 on a platinum bracelet. Chump change, huh?

Sounds like a fun day (btw, where'd you have dinner?). Sadly, Ottawa is woefully underserved with only two ADs for Rolex with the only other brands available are Omega, TAG, Tudor, and some comparable/lesser ETA powered brands. Everyone who wants something special makes the 2 hr trip to Montreal.
Old 23 August 2005, 04:01 AM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Thanks for that interesting story, Al. Wow, some of those prices are right through the roof!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2005, 04:14 AM   #4
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
JJ you mean there is a roof to prices? I figured the sky was the limit as I was seeing prices quoted that are close to what I paid for my home !
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2005, 04:29 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
JJ you mean there is a roof to prices? I figured the sky was the limit as I was seeing prices quoted that are close to what I paid for my home !
LOL! Very true!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 23 August 2005, 12:45 PM   #6
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
ROTFLMAO!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2005, 12:46 PM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Sounds like a great day Al!!

Old 23 August 2005, 11:12 PM   #8
Atomic

Quote:
Earl, you musta bought your house a loooong time ago, huh?

Although, for what I paid for my house a couple months back, I could have bought four 116599 Daytonas (in CDN funds). Priorities....
Old 24 August 2005, 12:59 AM   #9
FinWhiz
Banned

Icon7 John...

Atomic, you big wanker, post the WHOLE story and the little trip we had to take somewhere else...
FinWhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 01:26 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-64
Atomic, you big wanker, post the WHOLE story and the little trip we had to take somewhere else...
Wanker is the term used on the other side,we have settled for Tosser ask
JJ to add you to his list.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 01:47 AM   #11
FinWhiz
Banned

Ahhh... ok. Atomic, you big tosser, let me know if I can tell the complete story.
Old 24 August 2005, 01:55 AM   #12
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Ahhh... ok. Atomic, you big tosser, let me know if I can tell the complete story.
OK, Fin. Now you have piqued our curiosity. You must tell the whole story.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 02:10 AM   #13
FinWhiz
Banned

I will tell it -- I just want to make sure there are no problems with Atomic. :)
Old 24 August 2005, 02:35 AM   #14
Atomic

Well, after Rodolfo and I thoroughly shagged Mrs. Vanrijk.... oops, prolly not the part you were talking about, eh FW?

I think he's referring to our trip to RDV. I was amazed to find a spot directly outside there doors and was so excited to have R with me at this place, I failed to read the parking sign beside my car. I parked at 3:25... and unbenounced to me at the time, street parking was only allowed until 3:30.

When we walked outside, the car was gone. Towed to a city holding yard. I think we arrived at the yard the same time my car did on the back of the truck.
Old 24 August 2005, 02:41 AM   #15
FinWhiz
Banned

I only wished I would have sagged that lady. She is sooooo H-O-T. She is the first 40+ y.o. I have fantasized about.

Btw, John, I have never seen a grown up tosser being so scared of his wife in my entire life than you when you saw the car was gone.
Old 24 August 2005, 02:46 AM   #16
Atomic

[QUOTE=C-64]I only wished I would have sagged that lady. She is sooooo H-O-T. She is the first 40+ y.o. I have fantasized about.

Btw, John, I have never seen a grown up tosser being so scared of his wife in my entire life than you when you saw the car was gone. QUOTE]

Sagged? I didn't see anything sagging on Mrs. Vanrijk.

I guess you've never looked in the mirror when Fer gets mad at you then, eh? Believe me, Mrs. Atomic has a temper!

And yes, Mrs. Vanrijk (Pina) is pretty smokin' hot. Almost as hot as the girls at the front desk of the Rolex Canada office.
Old 24 August 2005, 02:50 AM   #17
FinWhiz
Banned

tosser, I meant shagged.

i think it is time you put your foot down and show Mrs. Atomic who has the pants in your house.
Old 24 August 2005, 02:52 AM   #18
Atomic

Quote:
tosser, I meant shagged.

i think it is time you put your foot down and show Mrs. Atomic who has the pants in your house.

We already know who wears the pants. My two year old daughter does.
Old 24 August 2005, 03:07 AM   #19
FinWhiz
Banned

hey tosser I cleaned my PMs.

so did u guys scare golden away??
Old 24 August 2005, 04:32 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
hey tosser I cleaned my PMs.

so did u guys scare golden away??
Hmmmm...good point, Fin, she seems to have vanished after her initial flambouyant burst.

Old 24 August 2005, 08:03 AM   #21
----

Okay you bunch of tossers and wankers (covering all my bases here). Stop hijacking my thread, damm*t! It's okay if you do it to other threads, but not mine....okay!??

Okay, so to get back on topic, anyone want to buy my TT YM? I think I have the wife convinced to let me buy the GO if I can sell my YM - any takers (it's a mid-sized, by the way)?
Old 24 August 2005, 03:10 PM   #22
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

That would be awesome if you can move the Rolex for the GO Al!!

Best of luck pal, that watch is a beauty!!

Old 24 August 2005, 11:48 PM   #23
Atomic

Al I didn't know you have a TT midsize YM??? I thought it was a full-size rolesium (unless you have both).

TZ is always a good place to move Rolies. I think the GO is an AMAZING choice. My god... with that JLC Master Moon and a GO, I think you may be my new hero!
Old 25 August 2005, 02:11 AM   #24
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Al I didn't know you have a TT midsize YM??? I thought it was a full-size rolesium (unless you have both).

TZ is always a good place to move Rolies. I think the GO is an AMAZING choice. My god... with that JLC Master Moon and a GO, I think you may be my new hero!
Nope - only have the one. I'm a "one Rolex guy" soon to be a "no Rolex guy"

I had thought about TZ as a place to sell, and if I decide to do it on line, that's the most likely place. I will try to trade it first, and then maybe sell it outright either at my dealer or at Van Rijks, but I have no idea what I'd get for it.

It's nice to know I'd be someone's hero! Thanks John!

It sounds that like you my introduction to fine watches began with Rolex, but my tastes have moved on.........I find myself wearing it less and less in favour of the JLC - even moreso than when I first bought the JLC in fact. I may miss it, but I'm willing to take that risk for the GO!
Old 25 August 2005, 02:21 AM   #25
Atomic

Al, whatever you do, DON'T sell it to VanRijk's unless you can't unload it privately.

VanRijk's offer won't even approach what you could get for it if sold privately. As an example, one year after buying my ExpII there, I inquired about trading it in on a PAM114. They said the value they'd offer me for my ExpII was a full $1,800 less than I had paid for it (plus the 15% tax, another $800). And when I pointed out they had the same K series ExpII in their case, that had some scratches and dings on the case going for what I paid for mine a year earlier.. they said, "yeah, so?" So obviously they pay bottom dollar and charge the premium price. Good business, but they don't have your best interest in mind.

Try advertising in the Globe and Mail or the TO Star and maybe even the Free Press. If you sell on TZ, you're selling via US dollars, and Rolex watches are way cheaper in the US, even after exchange. Plus, the used watch market is in a slump right now, on the net. Just ask Finwhiz.
Old 25 August 2005, 02:28 AM   #26
FinWhiz
Banned

Speaking of that FinWhiz stud, can someone help me change my username?? I PMed Rev but got no reply.
Old 25 August 2005, 02:31 AM   #27
Atomic

Quote:
Speaking of that FinWhiz stud, can someone help me change my username?? I PMed Rev but got no reply.
He's got you on 'ignore' for calling me a salad tosser, you TOSSER. There IS a difference, you know.
Old 25 August 2005, 02:33 AM   #28
----

Quote:
Let me guess, you want to change it to "Threadhijacker"????

Back on topic (again) thanks for the heads up on Van Rijks John. I want to take the smallest hit possible, but am willing to cough up some to get that fabulous GO........
Old 25 August 2005, 02:37 AM   #29
FinWhiz
Banned

Al, the market is crap now. I have been sitting on a P serial GMT II for two months now.