The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2008, 04:14 AM   #1
TDH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
But if you have a serious TT event, or your climbing the dunes in your modified VW1800, or rock climbing in the Jeep....The EXP II is the ultimate workhorse:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
I would say the Explorer II (and regular Explorer for that matter) are both more watches that WIS would choose. And most Rolex wearers aren't necessarily WIS.
Totally agree with what has been said in the above posts
TDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2011, 04:17 PM   #2
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Never owned one tho always loved the look of the polar ExpII.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Montanan

Watch: Hamilton hunter
Interesting! Field military work was the reason why I bought my Expl 2 (white face, btw)...I wanted to be able to know at a glance what time it was for my family (and when to get to a phone!)....it has held up very well in all respects (crystal, bracelet, accuracy) for almost 20 years. Alas...it needs a freshening now. The Sieko chrono I had in RVN only marginally outlasted my tours (3)...then junked after I could not find someone interested enough to fix it in 1974. There is no shortage of Rolex mechanics (nor for the other good name time pieces that I've collected). Goes to show...quality begets value...and quality costs.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 02:56 AM   #4
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
The EXP II is at the top of my list... It has always been one of my favorites, it's the only one with a functional non moving bezel.
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2011, 12:16 PM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
The EXP II is at the top of my list... It has always been one of my favorites, it's the only one with a functional non moving bezel.
besides the that daytona thingy
Old 19 September 2012, 05:57 AM   #6
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
Functional non-moving bezel?... :thinking Hey now, the Daytona has a functional non-moving bezel too - just because most people don't know how to use it, doesn't mean it's not functional.
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 02:57 AM   #7
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
For true down and get dirty work or play, I wear either my 14060 or Explorer II. Never thought about grit and sand with the Sub. Great point. I have to admit that it does look less like a Rolex than my other watches. Mind you, I don't care, but I just wanted to point that out.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 03:08 AM   #8
Ursa Major
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Sub
The white face Exp II has always been my favorite Rolex sport watch. I like the white dial (vs. black on most Rolex sport models), and the general look of the watch. It also appeals to me that it's more subtle and nuanced - it doesn't make a statement in the way that, e.g., the Sub does - non-enthusiasts don't immediately make assumptions when they see it on your wrist; they typically don't even know it's a Rolex. When I decided to get into Rolexes not long ago, other watches came my way first for various reasons, but I'm finally picking up a white Explorer II - I've been traveling for a week, and it should be waiting for me when I get home later today. I bought it here (and yes, the price had been lowered a few times). I have a feeling I'll be wearing it as much as my other watches combined. Just a great watch. For similar reasons, an Explorer I will probably be my next Rolex (and last one for a while, this is getting expensive..).
Old 18 June 2008, 04:03 PM   #9
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
The white face Exp II has always been my favorite Rolex sport watch. I like the white dial (vs. black on most Rolex sport models), and the general look of the watch. It also appeals to me that it's more subtle and nuanced - it doesn't make a statement in the way that, e.g., the Sub does - non-enthusiasts don't immediately make assumptions when they see it on your wrist; they typically don't even know it's a Rolex. When I decided to get into Rolexes not long ago, other watches came my way first for various reasons, but I'm finally picking up a white Explorer II - I've been traveling for a week, and it should be waiting for me when I get home later today. I bought it here (and yes, the price had been lowered a few times). I have a feeling I'll be wearing it as much as my other watches combined. Just a great watch. For similar reasons, an Explorer I will probably be my next Rolex (and last one for a while, this is getting expensive..).

I agree. My first Rolie was a Sub and it is lovely. When I saw the preowned white dial Explorer II at Tourneau, it really smiled at me and was noticeably lighter than my Sub. I also like it since it catches less attention and with half of my family in Asia, the 24hr hand is perfect!
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 04:17 PM   #10
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Yaaaaay, I'm so glad to see this thread brought back to life!!! I love the Explorer II more than any other watch. I vote for the MODS to make this thread a sticky!

LOOOOOONG LIVE THE ROLEX EXPLORER II!!

-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2012, 08:42 AM   #11
reddog1113
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
What kind of price and discount did you get ?
Is yours the new 2011 42mm model ? In the East they are going for around $7700 list ?

Any tips ?

Steve
reddog1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 05:44 AM   #12
Melanotaenia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog1113 View Post
What kind of price and discount did you get ?
Is yours the new 2011 42mm model ? In the East they are going for around $7700 list ?

Any tips ?

Steve
Here in NYC, there is a wait list and they are not discounting them at all, if you can even find one in an AD (they'll show them to you if you ask, but they have not been on display yet from what I have seen)
Old 29 February 2012, 05:50 AM   #13
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclawz View Post
I am at a crossroads with My EXPII - I love it and its been a very trusty piece however the times are changing I have now found myself considering selling it.
The NATO straps look lovely and I have always felt the EXPII is a "working mans Rolex". That OD Green makes the dial pop!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanotaenia View Post
Here in NYC, there is a wait list and they are not discounting them at all, if you can even find one in an AD (they'll show them to you if you ask, but they have not been on display yet from what I have seen)
They had both white and black available at an AD in Playa Del Carmen last week.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2014, 04:18 AM   #14
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
I like the white Exp II always have always will. Am I going to buy one who knows I have not yet.
Old 21 May 2008, 03:00 AM   #15
dopeymuppet
"TRF" Member

I think they're gorgeous to be honest. Just prefer the look of the sub and I think most people do.
dopeymuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2012, 05:27 AM   #16
Marika
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeymuppet View Post
I think they're gorgeous to be honest. Just prefer the look of the sub and I think most people do.

I like it over the sub due to the more tapered bezel..., can be worn dress if need be.
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 03:02 AM   #17
Scarface
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex , Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
the Explorer II (and Explorer, but the focus of this thread is on the II), particularly the black dial, seems to be the least desirable, and hence has the lowest resale value.
I find it beautiful ... especially the black dial
Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 03:46 AM   #18
mopsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp2,BlkBy,SD
Most have to agree with of what's been said.
The Exp.II is definately my favourite sports Rolex. I like both dials but will get a white face as I've a blue one on my oyster date.
Old 21 May 2008, 03:56 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Have to agree with you, David.

While the Exp-II is by far the most comfortable Rolex of the lot, it's lack of popularity is probably 'cause of the FIXED bezel. Most guys would prefer to fork out the few extra $$$ and get the GMT-II so they can have a bezel to fiddle with!!

And, of course, the WHITE dial is more popular than the BLACK; but then that again is due to the fact that there aren't too many WHITE dial sports Rollies around.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 12:46 PM   #20
LDLemu4U

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Have to agree with you, David.

While the Exp-II is by far the most comfortable Rolex of the lot, it's lack of popularity is probably 'cause of the FIXED bezel. Most guys would prefer to fork out the few extra $$$ and get the GMT-II so they can have a bezel to fiddle with!!

And, of course, the WHITE dial is more popular than the BLACK; but then that again is due to the fact that there aren't too many WHITE dial sports Rollies around.

JJ
Totally agree with you JJ. I have a 2 GMTs, a DJ, my first Rolex circa early 70's and the white dial Exp II. It is indeed comfortable to wear very close to the DJ. I opted for the white dial as I have the SS GMT II all black.

Again, I do not care about resale......as long as it smiles back at me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1050.jpg (98.7 KB, 3185 views)
File Type: jpg 267_6728.jpg (55.7 KB, 3173 views)
LDLemu4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 04:16 AM   #21
veefour
"TRF" Member

Are case and movement the same as in GMT?
Old 21 May 2008, 04:17 AM   #22
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by veefour View Post
Are case and movement the same as in GMT?
Movement is the same 3185 with the same time zone function. Exp case is 1 mm smaller.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 9 June 2010, 08:30 PM   #23
SSSS
"TRF" Member

3185 Movement?

I thought the EXP II had the state of the art and highly accurate 3186 movements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Movement is the same 3185 with the same time zone function. Exp case is 1 mm smaller.

JJ
SSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2010, 09:06 PM   #24
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSS View Post
I thought the EXP II had the state of the art and highly accurate 3186 movements?
Only the newest ones....over the past 2 years or so.....you can tell by either the "wiggle test" or the "how many jumps of the hour hand for one complete turn of the crown" test whether you have a 3185 or a 3186......to be honest, I have both movements and there's nothing between them accuracy wise
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2010, 12:15 AM   #25
Dylan Wade

Watch: EXP II
Contemplating Adding Black .........

Contemplating Adding Black

I have a major craving to add a black EXP II to partner my white. I just love the EXP II and now find myself wearing my white one 6.5 days a week because of all its comfort and durability qualities we all love.

If I’m going to wear an EXP II so much I thought I might as well have the ability to change it up for a contrasting color/look, whilst also solving the long term question of what the heck to do when my white one goes for a service…

At this point I had better quickly mention the BIG black….Yes my DSSD, I love the look I really do but it’s simply not as comfortable as the EXP II and I have found myself being ultra wary of smacking it when playing around with my young kids……..It does gets half a day’s wear at the weekend but it’s just not really enough time IMO.

I’m 90% there in making the deal of a straight swap (either M or V with confirmed 3186) along with US$2,300 cash in my hand, so what do you folks think to this move?
Dylan Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2010, 08:24 AM   #26
SSSS
"TRF" Member

I tried the wiggle test on both an M and V serial. Both samples showed some movement. Perhaps the 'jiggle' is a lot more on a 3185 movement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
Only the newest ones....over the past 2 years or so.....you can tell by either the "wiggle test" or the "how many jumps of the hour hand for one complete turn of the crown" test whether you have a 3185 or a 3186......to be honest, I have both movements and there's nothing between them accuracy wise
SSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2010, 08:54 AM   #27
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSS View Post
All the older models came with the 3185 movement.

Only the very recent ones (perhaps the M and V-series) are now fitted with the 3186 calibre.

JJ

Old 21 May 2008, 08:16 AM   #28
JostheBoss
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIc
I think the Expy II is a great looking and well fitting watch but IMO it has an ill-defined role and less of a mystique about it than other models in the sports line-up. Perhaps public opinion largely defines its market value in terms of resale?
Old 21 May 2008, 09:23 PM   #29
GMTII Owner
"TRF" Member

Watch: S/S GMT Master IIc
When I first started looking at which Rolex to buy, I considered all the SS sport watches. It seemed to me that all the AD's I talked to about the Explorer II seemed to push me away from the watch and more to the Sub w/date and GMTII. Of course, they wanted me to buy the more expensive watch. However, all the AD's mentioned the issue of the non-rotating bezel.

Since I was only going to be able to afford one watch, I wanted the rotating bezel and HAD to have a black dial. I think the black dial on any watch is classic looking. In any case, the rotating bezel seems to be the big issue I remember as to why the Explorer II was not being pushed as hard.

Now that I have my one Rolex, somewhere down the line, I plan on getting another (imagine that). Of the sport models, the SS Sub ND is at the top of the list but the Explorer II is a close second.

John
Old 21 May 2008, 10:34 PM   #30
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
I think Expy II specially the white dial is a STUNNING watch. I like the bezel & the dial. So sad I flip mine to bought Sub ND. In Asia, they more choose the black dial for Expy II than white. I don't know why. Asian love black dial.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote