The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 December 2021, 02:40 AM   #1
RoloRonnie
"TRF" Member

Proud 114060 Owner ... Worth it to "Upgrade" to 124060?

I have a Submariner (114060) that I purchased from an AD in January 2018. Other than work events where I'm cautious about "wearing a Rolex", it's pretty much been on my wrist non-stop. I was 40 years old at the time, but my purchase didn't signify anything in particular in my personal or professional life. No huge emotional attachment to the watch - but I'm the kind of person that likes to keep things for a long time. My intent / excuse in purchasing the watch the first time was to have one quality piece I could keep for decades, rather than buying / serving a series of lower quality watches.

I've loved the watch - it runs fast about 1 second per day. It's got scratches from everyday use, but has handled everything I've thrown at it and is in good shape. Previously, I gave some thought about maybe switching to a 5 digit Explorer II (Polar) (for something more under the radar), but think I'd miss the new bracelet and glidelock.

As I see it, the main changes for the new reference 124060 are the new movement, slimmer lugs, slightly bigger size, wider bracelet and wider clasp. The lugs on the maxi case 6 digit have never really bothered me all that much. It's kind of weird - I feel like they look worse in pictures (includes ones I'm in!) than they do in real life. That said, I do feel like the 124060 looks a little better (have not seen one in the flesh). I mostly notice the lugs on mine when it's OFF my wrist.

Regarding the movements, the 70 hour power reserve on the new one isn't that big of a deal to me given how often I wear my watch. Plus, with no date, it really takes no time to wind / set the watch if it runs down. I've read some complaints no the new movements - not sure if those have been worked out? The old one has obviously been solid for me (and for decades for others, apparently).

Question for you guys - is it worth upgrading to the new Submariner (124060)? Should I? My AD says he thinks he can get me one without too much trouble. Wondering if any of you have made the switch / how you feel about it now? Any regrets? Glad you did it? How is the new clasp? I do have a bigger wrist (over 7.5 inches) but do find the crown of my 114060 digs into my hand at times.

I'd appreciate any input!
RoloRonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:50 AM   #2
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
How is that an upgrade though?

I'd consider the 114060 an equivalent at least, it's out of production with a fairly short run of 8 years as well. It's also the last of the classic 40mm cases for the Sub.

It's also impossible to judge the differences from images. Depends on camera angle, lens, lighting. Anyone can make any watch look good or bad in pics.

To really see if you want to change you'd have to handle both together, and try both on wrist. For me personally I'd never trade my 114060 for the 12, I prefer the smaller dial / bracelet and clasp. The lugs are thick and it adds to its unique character, in reality the lug thickness is not even a big difference, but people like to nit pick online about micro-millimetres.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 03:04 AM   #3
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
You don't seem excited by the changes made, so why would you change?
Old 15 December 2021, 03:06 AM   #4
Maiden
"TRF" Member

As a former 114060 owner I concur with your points about the lugs, way less noticeable on the wrist. Based on your post I think you answered your own questions, it really isn't an upgrade for you so why do it?
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 03:07 AM   #5
rkny
"TRF" Member

Everything that people say about the differences between the previous and current Subs is true. Both that the latest version wears more like a 5 digit, is a bit sleeker, AND that the differences are nominal. I wore a 2011 sub date for a decade. Now I have a 2020 no-date. I find it a simultaneously bit more elegant and yet a touch more commanding in appearance. These are subtle distinctions.

I’d say there are two great reasons for you to get the newer version.

1. You can take advantage of the current market. It sounds like your watch might be well worn, but I would expect you could easily sell it for $9-$10K, basically covering the cost of the new Sub. If you could get that kind of deal on a new car, you’d probably do it without thinking about it.

2. If your current watch is due for a service, you can save the thousand bucks Rolex will charge you for that and get a brand new piece.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 03:24 AM   #6
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I picked up my 114060 Submariner in Jan or Feb of 2018 too.

I never considered replacing it with a 124060. I suppose if an AD offered me one at retail, I might consider it, but for now, I’m perfectly satisfied with what I have.

I have my eye on other watches instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 03:25 AM   #7
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
So I own a 114060. I agree nobody will be able to tell the difference, less care it’s one model cycle newer.

Is the power reserve important to you? If so that would be only reason I’d change. But prob not worth it for 2k more if going grey. If you can procure one at list then flip the ones series then that’s a no brainer.

I already think it flies under the radar, probably more so than the exp ii with cyclops - which is a mighty fine watch I’d love to own. I don’t think anyone has ever noticed mine, less cares which makes the reason to change any of the above or as you were I think.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 03:33 AM   #8
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
I have a 40MM and 41MM Sub Date. I love them both equally. If you could upgrade at no extra money out of pocket I would say go for it.
Old 15 December 2021, 03:49 AM   #9
sj24k
"TRF" Member

love my 114060, gets a ton of wrist time, and have never considered getting the newer 12 version. nothing about it seems compelling enough for me.

if you're really on the fence, then you should obviously try to see it, try one on, and judge for yourself. in this market, there's really no downside to buying one at msrp and living with it for a bit. will be relatively easy to sell either one of them and end up on the right side of the financial equation.

but like i said, i'm happy with the 11 and would put my attention elsewhere.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 03:51 AM   #10
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
There are far more interesting references out there both in the Rolex catalog and within the vast spectrum of other brands available. I would recommend enjoying your storied 114060 and forget about 124060. As others have pointed out, they are about 98% the same.

If you're itching to get another watch (nothing wrong with that), you could think about "burning" your AD card by asking for another Rolex SS watch. Or, better yet, further diversify by looking beyond just Rolex. That's what I would do.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 03:57 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I own both the 114060 and 124060.

Only you can determine whether it’s worth trading, but I prefer the lug profile of the newer version, and to my wrist, it seems to wear slimmer than the previous gen. Some people complain about the increased size in the clasp, but I actually like it.

The difference isn’t huge but with Rolex, I wouldn’t expect monumental changes anyway. They move slowly, and that’s why the brand has survived and thrived all these years
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 03:58 AM   #12
pierson
"TRF" Member

No. Not worth it. I did and ended up regretting the effort.

You have a fantastic watch!

pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 04:02 AM   #13
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
Sounds like you know the answer already. I would say yes from 14060 to 114060. It’s not that much of a jump to 124060 I think

azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 04:07 AM   #14
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

You can sell your current watch and get the new one for free. This is an easy decision.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 04:12 AM   #15
RoloRonnie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierson View Post
No. Not worth it. I did and ended up regretting the effort.

You have a fantastic watch!

If you don't mind me asking - why do you regret moving on to the 124060? Sentimental reasons or something in particular about the 124060 you didn't like?
Old 15 December 2021, 04:29 AM   #16
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

I would go for it for the below reasons,

1) AR coating in 12 series makes a huge difference in legibility and overall esthetic, it is like switching from CRT to HD TV. AR coating alone is a reason for upgrade.

2) Case size increased 0.3mm but it increased the dial as well and the new dial is better proportioned to the hour markers and the blank space. Dial on 40mm sub was classic until the maxi dial, the bigger markers cramped up the space and make the dial crowded. The dial proportion alone is also a reason for upgrade.

3) Bracelet got thicker with 21mm end links and this make the watch head more balanced to the rest of the watch, almost like integrated bracelet, and Rolex also changed the end link types in 12 series to make it look like it is welded to the watch, no play whatsoever. This change alone is not a reason for the upgrade, but still a nice change.

4) Clasp got bigger, it is not as huge as it is in the photos but big, but this is the result of mild taper compared to aggressive tapering in 11 series. This change is a reason to hold on to 11 series.

5) Thinner lugs make the watch look more elegant and although the size is increased by 0.3mm, it changes the look or the watch as if it is wearing like 5 digit ones, much more elegant looking then the 11 series. This again a very important change that makes the upgrade worthwhile.

6) New movement has better shock absorbance and higher reserve, this may not be a big deal for now but it will be in 20-30 years, it will be easier to find parts for service, and the new rotor doesn’t spread dried lubricant residues to the movement due to new mechanism, although more noisy, increases the life of the parts and service intervals. This again a agood reason to consider an upgrade.

7) You are left with 2 years in warrant with your 11 series, upgrading to 12 will refresh it to 5 years, which is a good reason to upgrade although not very crucial. But consider this pushing the first service for 3 more years.

8) If you get the 12 series from AD, then you will also make money by selling your watch. 11 series goes around 10-11 thousand dollars currently and 12 will cost you 9. So you will be paid min $1k for this upgrade.

So overall, you will make money and upgrade to a better watch altogether except the clasp. I would do this upgrade in your circumstances (able to get 12 from AD). If going grey then may not worth it.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 05:31 AM   #17
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberalclown View Post

1) AR coating in 12 series makes a huge difference in legibility and overall esthetic, it is like switching from CRT to HD TV. AR coating alone is a reason for upgrade.

2) Case size increased 0.3mm but it increased the dial as well and the new dial is better proportioned to the hour markers and the blank space. Dial on 40mm sub was classic until the maxi dial, the bigger markers cramped up the space and make the dial crowded. The dial proportion alone is also a reason for upgrade.

3) Bracelet got thicker with 21mm end links and this make the watch head more balanced to the rest of the watch, almost like integrated bracelet, and Rolex also changed the end link types in 12 series to make it look like it is welded to the watch, no play whatsoever. This change alone is not a reason for the upgrade, but still a nice change.

4) Clasp got bigger, it is not as huge as it is in the photos but big, but this is the result of mild taper compared to aggressive tapering in 11 series. This change is a reason to hold on to 11 series.

5) Thinner lugs make the watch look more elegant and although the size is increased by 0.3mm, it changes the look or the watch as if it is wearing like 5 digit ones, much more elegant looking then the 11 series. This again a very important change that makes the upgrade worthwhile.

6) New movement has better shock absorbance and higher reserve, this may not be a big deal for now but it will be in 20-30 years, it will be easier to find parts for service, and the new rotor doesn’t spread dried lubricant residues to the movement due to new mechanism, although more noisy, increases the life of the parts and service intervals. This again a agood reason to consider an upgrade.

7) You are left with 2 years in warrant with your 11 series, upgrading to 12 will refresh it to 5 years, which is a good reason to upgrade although not very crucial. But consider this pushing the first service for 3 more years.

8) If you get the 12 series from AD, then you will also make money by selling your watch. 11 series goes around 10-11 thousand dollars currently and 12 will cost you 9. So you will be paid min $1k for this upgrade.

So overall, you will make money and upgrade to a better watch altogether except the clasp. I would do this upgrade in your circumstances (able to get 12 from AD). If going grey then may not worth it.
This is highly subjective, as for me your 1 and 2 are reasons I'd keep the 11 series.

There's a reason Rolex never used AR on any watches, and that was for classic Rolex reflection off the crystal which I personally like. There's no reason for AR on this watch anyways as the legibility is already stellar, with large white markers and hands against a black dial.

The smaller dial with the larger markers is one of my favourite things about the 11 series, it's perfectly proportioned IMO and is not cramped whatsoever. I find the 12 series dial to have too much room actually, similar to the Explorer II 39mm, which I terribly disliked.

This is a case in which one has to see both in the metal and make up their own mind as all our opinions are highly subjective and dependant on personal taste.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 05:31 AM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
114060 is perfect
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 05:44 AM   #19
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
Keep the 114060. I've compared the 124060 directly side by side to my 114060. The differences are really not very noticeable to 99% of the people (and that includes me who has worn the 114060 since 2017).

Probably the biggest change is the power reserve, but if you're wearing the watch a lot, the power reserve shouldn't be a factor.
Lightsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 05:48 AM   #20
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Not worth it.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 05:56 AM   #21
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoloRonnie View Post
If you don't mind me asking - why do you regret moving on to the 124060? Sentimental reasons or something in particular about the 124060 you didn't like?

Well / this is just my 2 cents, and about what it’s worth! :)

If you’ve been wearing this watch day in day out, it’s become yours (like a pair of old cowboy boots). The new one doesn’t change much and spends your “AD currency”, which I’d use on a real upgrade or maybe a OP41 or something else.

Love old watches still being worn by the original owner. (Says the guy who swaps Rolexes way too much)

Just my 2 cents

Old 15 December 2021, 06:09 AM   #22
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
I prefer yours, don’t like the new bracelet and clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 06:11 AM   #23
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

I'd definitely stick to your old watch is you are self conscious about 'wearing Rolex'
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 06:21 AM   #24
JerBear
"TRF" Member

I own a 116610LN and think it fits my 7.5 in wrist perfectly. I haven't been tempted enough to consider the 12 series and have my eyes on other references. I'd vote to keep the one you have
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 07:13 AM   #25
RoloRonnie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
I'd definitely stick to your old watch is you are self conscious about 'wearing Rolex'
Do you feel like the new one is more noticeable / stands out more?
Old 15 December 2021, 07:44 AM   #26
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
If I were you, I would keep 114060 and ask your AD to give you 126610LN or 126610LV.

You can decide later which one you want to keep or just keep both if money is no problem.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 08:07 AM   #27
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
If I were you, I would keep 114060 and ask your AD to give you 126610LN or 126610LV.

You can decide later which one you want to keep or just keep both if money is no problem.

Exactly

Old 15 December 2021, 09:49 AM   #28
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I own a 114060 and a 116610LN, I see no reason to "upgrade" either one.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 09:53 AM   #29
wb55
"TRF" Member

I have both the 114060 and the 124060. I haven't worn the 11- since the day I got the 12- (Sept 2020).

The AR is the biggest difference, but the lugs are much nicer and the watch seems more balanced overall. I'd say it's a great improvement and without question an upgrade but you're getting the most incremental of improvements. Really and truly the AR is what does it for me.
wb55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 09:57 AM   #30
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberalclown View Post

I know everyone's different, but from a personal perspective, points 1 to 6 are all reasons NOT to "upgrade" IMO.

I'd stick with the 114060 100%
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote