The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2024, 09:23 PM   #1
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
Icon5 Significance of Pelagos?

Since taking delivery of a new Ranger, been exploring the Tudor line recently.

Kind of curious, what is the backstory or significance of the Pelagos? How does it differ from a Sub? Anyone notice the difference in number order on the bezel compared to a Sub?
Lightsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 09:40 PM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Significance of Pelagos?

The base Pelagos is essentially Tudor’s current generation Deep Diver model that also includes standard dive depth variants (39, FXD, RedBull x Alinghi).

It has no backstory really other than it is derived from various back catalog models from Rolex/Tudor shared heritage. At the time it was constructed mostly of titanium excluding parts of the bracelet. The quick adjust system included an interesting innovative spring based quick expansion system intended for quickly accommodating a dry suit, or standard neoprene dive suit. It is rated to 500 meters and has a helium escape valve.

While the Submariner is the standard dive depth model from Rolex. The Rolex equivalent to the Pelagos would be the Sea Dweller.

When Tudor first launched the Pelagos in 2012 after making a comeback in the US market, the marketing angle was (still is for the Pelagos) towards the working man’s tool watch narrative reminiscent of Rolex past. Their ads portrayed divers, explorers, and drivers wearing Pelagos, Black Bays, North Flags, and Heritage Chronos.

Nowadays, that narrative doesn’t sell anymore so the marketing for most of the models has predominantly shifted towards the socialite and popular youth sports.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 10:13 PM   #3
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

So is the Black Bay or Pelagos the better watch? Or is it all subjective?

Why does the blue dial/blue bezel Pelagos have the numbers in a reverse order? The black dial/black bezel matches the common numbering order.
Old 29 March 2024, 10:23 PM   #4
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

The base Pelagos come in blue or black dial/bezel variants and the numbering on the bezel are oriented the same along a unidirectional bezel.

There is also a Marine Nationale variant that is numbered differently on a bidirectional bezel. Which is the model you are likely referring to.

The Pelagos is inherently technically superior to the standard Black Bay diver due to the nature of it being an advanced technical diver intended for lower depths.
Old 29 March 2024, 10:26 PM   #5
rufio0811
"TRF" Member

Watch: love em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsped View Post

Why does the blue dial/blue bezel Pelagos have the numbers in a reverse order? The black dial/black bezel matches the common numbering order.
The reverse order is only on the Pelagos FXD models, it's a bi-directional bezel and has a history with the French Navy (Marine Nationale) who specifically wanted that feature.

In my opinion, The Pelagos is more comparable to the Sea Dweller/Deep Sea than to a Sub. The regular P39 is much thicker than the FXD, has a helium escape valve, bracelet has an self adjusting clasp, the included rubber strap also comes with a diver extension.

The P39 is a professional dive watch, the Black Bay is more comparible to a Sub, more of a casual diver/fashion sports watch.
rufio0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 11:39 PM   #6
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio0811 View Post
The reverse order is only on the Pelagos FXD models, it's a bi-directional bezel and has a history with the French Navy (Marine Nationale) who specifically wanted that feature.

In my opinion, The Pelagos is more comparable to the Sea Dweller/Deep Sea than to a Sub. The regular P39 is much thicker than the FXD, has a helium escape valve, bracelet has an self adjusting clasp, the included rubber strap also comes with a diver extension.

The P39 is a professional dive watch, the Black Bay is more comparible to a Sub, more of a casual diver/fashion sports watch.
No. You mean the 42mm Pelagos issued donkey years ago.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 12:56 AM   #7
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Standard 42mm Pelagos is more aligned with the Sea Dweller lineup in Rolex speak, I used to say it was akin to Rolex doing a "clean sheet" redesign of the SD line without regard for Rolex signature incremental improvements on previous designs, but those make believe lines have been further blurred now with the introduction of the Ti YM 42 with more obvious parallels to the Pelagos lineup. Disregarding ....all of that.... the Pelagos like all Tudors is a fantastic line on it's own and needs no attachment to Rolex at all.

42mm is the technical deep diver, punches well above it's price class into the Rolex lineup if one does not need a watch to say "ROLEX" on it to be happy
39mm is a seriously great alternative to a Submariner no date
FXDs are unique throwbacks to the heritage of the Marine National Tudor submariners of the 60s and 70s. I wear my standard 42mm on an MN strap most of the time so the black FXD really appeals to me.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 02:26 AM   #8
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

I think the thing that appeals to me most is the titanium case. Its unique enough to make me curious. Must be a lightweight watch with the strap.... I do like the FXD French Navy version a lot.
Old 30 March 2024, 03:34 AM   #9
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the thing that appeals to me most is the titanium case. Its unique enough to make me curious. Must be a lightweight watch with the strap.... I do like the FXD French Navy version a lot.

A very popular model and a solid watch for sure
Old 30 March 2024, 03:57 AM   #10
Car32
"TRF" Member

Love the P39 and MN FXD. I also own a Sub 14060m 2 liner and have owned the ceramic Subs 40 and 41mm) in the past.

Pelagos could easily be a modern Rolex Sub if Rolex wanted to do more than incremental updates. Honestly when they are side by side with the 14060m, the 14060m just looks dated and plain.

The P39 ceramic brushed bezel is amazing, going grey "ghost" in many lighting situations, full lime on bezel is great, the subtle sun ray finish on the dial is interesting and the ceramic full lime square markers feel super modern. The case shape also feels more modern.

The MN FXD blue is amazing. Fixed spring bars makes it strap monster if you are into that. The blue/grey dial is fine in indoor light but really shines in the sun where it turns a deep, rich royal blue with a slight speckled matt finish on the dial. I prefer the borders around the square ceramic lime plots vs the P39 which doesn't not have any. Hash marks on the bezel for each minute gives it a more bold look. Although 42mm and a longer lug to lug when measured to the long middle tip of the fixed spring bars, it actually looks shorter lug to lug on the wrist and wears very well.

I only wish there was less text on the dial and not a fan of the P39 text layout at bottom. If they had just two lines of text at the bottom like the French Navy issue FXD, it would be perfect.
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 04:19 AM   #11
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I have the Blue 42 (I also have a Rolex 5513, SD4K and a Hulk)
I bought the Blue as I loved the color and love Ti watches.
I rarely ever wear it, I do not find it comfortable. The case digs into my wrist at times as does the clasp.
I keep telling myself to sell it but Ive been too lazy to take pics etc so it just sits in my watch case.
I think its a great looking watch but it just doesn't work for me.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 05:38 AM   #12
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Pelagos for me as the hands and lume plots are not a miss match. I realize there was a transitional snowflake Submariner with snowflake hands and round plots... but I just can't do it. I've tried four Black Bays but all have left because of the miss match. . .
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 10:00 AM   #13
Tio_Rico
"TRF" Member

I have an SD43 and a Pelagos LHD. The Pelagos is such a great daily driver. Incredibly comfortable and lightweight and the full lume bezel is great. The only knock would be that it's grade 2 titanium which does tend to scratch easily. the darker color makes this hard to see but if you're ocd, you'll notice it.

60 click bezel isn't as nice as the 120 click of the SD43. Both amazing watches but I enjoy the pelagos a lot more than I initially thought I would. The blue 42 is very blue... you'll need to see it in person to gauge if its right for you. The MN Blue is a few shades darker and thus more muted.

If you're wrist can handle it, I wouldn't mess with the 39 or the BBs. Its truly a modern diver and on a nato, the most comfortable watch i own.
Tio_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 10:02 AM   #14
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I love a titanium watch and have been very impressed with my black version FXD. I would have been happy with the MN FXD but they are much harder to get. The strap only option is a nice compliment to my 116610.

I love the looks of the 42 Pelagos but found it far too thick for daily wear.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 12:03 PM   #15
rufio0811
"TRF" Member

Watch: love em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
No. You mean the 42mm Pelagos issued donkey years ago.

No I’m basing this off trying on both the Pelagos 39 and an FXD 2 weeks ago at a local AD.
rufio0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 10:10 PM   #16
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
One of my favorite watches in all forms.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 10:21 PM   #17
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
The significance of the Pelagos is the sheer joy it brings every time I wear it.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8th TRF.JPG (273.1 KB, 1125 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 04:10 AM   #18
N0trub

I would own one but for whatever reason i do not like the rehaut and cant get over it. Seems so mismatched. However this mismatch seems the Tudor way. Love the bb 54 in a similar way its just not quite right. Old looking dial perfect beautiful case and bezel and no date or cyclops. If they made the tudor sub again w date cyclops bracelet crown and case of rolex parts….I probably would not be a big enough fish to get one. Love these watches just wish they were right for me as they are quality and available. All the best Roy

Why is it that companies all eventually progress away from what made them in the first place.
N0trub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 01:38 AM   #19
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
The significance of the Pelagos is the sheer joy it brings every time I wear it.
dP

Very nice pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 02:10 AM   #20
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio_Rico View Post
The Pelagos is such a great daily driver. Incredibly comfortable and lightweight and the full lume bezel is great. The only knock would be that it's grade 2 titanium which does tend to scratch easily. the darker color makes this hard to see but if you're ocd, you'll notice it.
I am diagnosed, certified and treated for OCD. I don’t notice any scratches on my high-mileage OG ETA PELAGOS. You’ll be fine.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 05:43 AM   #21
Tio_Rico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I am diagnosed, certified and treated for OCD. I don’t notice any scratches on my high-mileage OG ETA PELAGOS. You’ll be fine.
Sounds like that treatment is doing its job then!
Old 1 April 2024, 10:06 PM   #22
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Very nice pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, neighbor!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 1 April 2024, 10:13 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
dP
Damn right
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 10:41 PM   #24
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Damn right
Thanks, pal!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 1 April 2024, 11:40 PM   #25
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
How does it differ from a Sub?
Having dived with Subs and Sea-Dwellers as well as the Pelagos LHD (and other brands), I'd offer that the Pelagos is a technically and functionally better dive watch than the Sub (or Sea-Dwellers). All can handle any dive depth you'll throw at it; however the Pelagoas dial is much easier to read.

The bracelet is fantastic: adjustable (+ dive extension) and comfortable.

I don't understand the call outs around scratching with the Pelagos. The part that shows the most scratches (on the LHD) is the clasp, which is steel, not titanium. The rest of the watch and bracelet is titanium and shows considerably fewer scratches than any of my steel (or gold) watches. And the LHD gets worn "harder". I wonder if this claim around scratches is sometimes (not always) from people that haven't actually owned the watch, but are making some assumptions about titanium or the grade.

Regardless, the Pelagos line offers a nice variety of cool options, and is a truly great diver. Solid on its own, or as a complement to the Sub/Sea-Dwellers.
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 12:18 AM   #26
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post

I don't understand the call outs around scratching with the Pelagos. The part that shows the most scratches (on the LHD) is the clasp, which is steel, not titanium. The rest of the watch and bracelet is titanium and shows considerably fewer scratches than any of my steel (or gold) watches. And the LHD gets worn "harder". I wonder if this claim around scratches is from people that haven't actually owned the watch, but are making some assumptions about titanium or the grade.
You hit the nail right on the head. There’s a lot of parroting going on around
Old 2 April 2024, 12:21 AM   #27
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Having dived with Subs and Sea-Dwellers as well as the Pelagos LHD (and other brands), I'd offer that the Pelagos is a technically and functionally better dive watch than the Sub (or Sea-Dwellers). All can handle any dive depth you'll throw at it; however the Pelagoas dial is much easier to read.

The bracelet is fantastic: adjustable (+ dive extension) and comfortable.

I don't understand the call outs around scratching with the Pelagos. The part that shows the most scratches (on the LHD) is the clasp, which is steel, not titanium. The rest of the watch and bracelet is titanium and shows considerably fewer scratches than any of my steel (or gold) watches. And the LHD gets worn "harder". I wonder if this claim around scratches is sometimes (not always) from people that haven't actually owned the watch, but are making some assumptions about titanium or the grade.

Regardless, the Pelagos line offers a nice variety of cool options, and is a truly great diver. Solid on its own, or as a complement to the Sub/Sea-Dwellers.
^This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
^ And that.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 2 April 2024, 02:40 AM   #28
Tio_Rico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wonder if this claim around scratches is sometimes (not always) from people that haven't actually owned the watch, but are making some assumptions about titanium or the grade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Quote:
^ And that.
dP
Who's parroting who, again?

Grade 2 titanium scratches easier than grade 5. I didn't know this was debatable. I wasn't comparing it to steel. My comment was meant to state that grade 5 would have made this watch nearly perfect.

Regardless, my clasp looks fine... the bracelet shows more scratches. I'm not OCD, so I don't care too much. It's a tool watch afterall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7624.jpg (271.6 KB, 802 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7627.jpg (270.7 KB, 800 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7628.jpg (261.7 KB, 802 views)
Old 2 April 2024, 02:53 AM   #29
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio_Rico View Post
Who's parroting who, again?

Grade 2 titanium scratches easier than grade 5. I didn't know this was debatable. I wasn't comparing it to steel. My comment was meant to state that grade 5 would have made this watch nearly perfect.

Regardless, my clasp looks fine... the bracelet shows more scratches. I'm not OCD, so I don't care too much. It's a tool watch afterall.

Not sure why you’re quoting me as I am agreeing with CaptT’s statement which remains true.

There is a lot of parroting going around the forum, not just in regards to the Pelagos but also for many watches and issues, from people who don’t even own the watch in question.

While grade 2 titanium may scratch worse than grade 5, all you need is to use the ink side of an eraser to restore the factory finish.
Old 2 April 2024, 11:00 AM   #30
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
dP
Well said, and great photo, captures the blue so well. Way too enabling!
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote