The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 October 2021, 02:28 AM   #1
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Can’t believe how badly I was lied to

Because I’m a glutton for punishment, I’ve been visiting ADs here in Greece while on holiday. I had zero expectations of actually getting a Rolex because I’m a realist. But man, I didn’t expect that ADs could be this dirty!! Here are two examples:

1) While waiting to enter one Ad (because there was a couple in there already and they have a 2 person maximum) I was looking through the display window curtain and noticed that the Sales Associate kept opening up a drawer and taking out coffins with watches in them. He took out about 6 different coffins. I couldn’t tell what the pieces were though. The couple left and the security guard told me they needed to clean the clean down the counter (covid protocol). I carefully watched through the display window curtain and saw the SA packing up all the coffins and putting them back in his drawer. I walk in and see three tiny/diamond women’s datejusts. Before I could even say anything the SA greets me with “sorry, we have nothing for men”….I say: Oh really? Looked like you had some pieces you put away under your desk. He was shocked that I noticed what he was up to. He continued to deny having any other pieces. I just shook my head and walked out.

2) right after this visit I hit another AD that sells Rolex and other brands. I walk in and try to disarm the SA’s by looking around at other brands…some brands I actually own and like. When I get to the Rolex section the SA immediately says “we have no men’s pieces”. All they had in their display were small ladies datejusts. I looked around a bit more and left. About 30 minutes later I walk by their window again on my way to another store and look in….what do I see? The same SA helping another customer. Only on the tray in front of him were several pieces…couldn’t make them out totally but it looked like a two tone root beer, rose gold day date, and maybe a datejust or OP. I locked eyes with the SA who clearly remembered me and looked a bit uncomfortable by my stalkerish staring. Lol. For a split second I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe he already bought these pieces. No. The man walked out empty handed. I then watched the woman put the pieces away as they let in the next customer.

I am officially done visiting ADs….life is too short to waste any more time. Im thankful for the 5 Rolex pieces I have (most of which were purchased/trade with grey dealers). For the next while I’m moving onto other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveTheWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 02:33 AM   #2
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yes they only sell to previous customers……
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 02:33 AM   #3
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Dbl post
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 02:50 AM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
There is literally no enjoyment at visiting Rolex AD's anymore. Used to be fun, now it's a depressing miserable experience. They don't even want to talk about Rolex anymore. Last time I went I couldn't wait to leave.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 02:53 AM   #5
dannyp
Banned

Regarding the first AD, were the watches being pulled out actually in the plastic coffins? Relevant only because Rolex stopped using those months ago, likely meaning they've been sitting on those watches for some time.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 02:55 AM   #6
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

You are too kind with only the stare down. Might have been more interesting to go back with a local who speaks the language, put all three ladies pieces on the tray. Get ready to pull out black card, then ask offhandedly, anything else worth seeing?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 02:57 AM   #7
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Had the same thing in Mykonos... they do not want to sell to out of towners
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 03:00 AM   #8
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Regarding the first AD, were the watches being pulled out actually in the plastic coffins? Relevant only because Rolex stopped using those months ago, likely meaning they've been sitting on those watches for some time.

They looked bigger than the standard coffins we’re all familiar with….they looked almost like Patek-type boxes. But I couldn’t get a super clear look through the sheer curtain.

Old 29 October 2021, 03:01 AM   #9
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
Had the same thing in Mykonos... they do not want to sell to out of towners

That’s what I figured.

Old 29 October 2021, 03:02 AM   #10
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
You are too kind with only the stare down. Might have been more interesting to go back with a local who speaks the language, put all three ladies pieces on the tray. Get ready to pull out black card, then ask offhandedly, anything else worth seeing?

Old 29 October 2021, 03:02 AM   #11
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
There is literally no enjoyment at visiting Rolex AD's anymore. Used to be fun, now it's a depressing miserable experience. They don't even want to talk about Rolex anymore. Last time I went I couldn't wait to leave.

I agree.

Old 29 October 2021, 03:04 AM   #12
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWatchGuy View Post
Because I’m a glutton for punishment, I’ve been visiting ADs here in Greece while on holiday. I had zero expectations of actually getting a Rolex because I’m a realist. But man, I didn’t expect that ADs could be this dirty!! Here are two examples:

1) While waiting to enter one Ad (because there was a couple in there already and they have a 2 person maximum) I was looking through the display window curtain and noticed that the Sales Associate kept opening up a drawer and taking out coffins with watches in them. He took out about 6 different coffins. I couldn’t tell what the pieces were though. The couple left and the security guard told me they needed to clean the clean down the counter (covid protocol). I carefully watched through the display window curtain and saw the SA packing up all the coffins and putting them back in his drawer. I walk in and see three tiny/diamond women’s datejusts. Before I could even say anything the SA greets me with “sorry, we have nothing for men”….I say: Oh really? Looked like you had some pieces you put away under your desk. He was shocked that I noticed what he was up to. He continued to deny having any other pieces. I just shook my head and walked out.

2) right after this visit I hit another AD that sells Rolex and other brands. I walk in and try to disarm the SA’s by looking around at other brands…some brands I actually own and like. When I get to the Rolex section the SA immediately says “we have no men’s pieces”. All they had in their display were small ladies datejusts. I looked around a bit more and left. About 30 minutes later I walk by their window again on my way to another store and look in….what do I see? The same SA helping another customer. Only on the tray in front of him were several pieces…couldn’t make them out totally but it looked like a two tone root beer, rose gold day date, and maybe a datejust or OP. I locked eyes with the SA who clearly remembered me and looked a bit uncomfortable by my stalkerish staring. Lol. For a split second I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe he already bought these pieces. No. The man walked out empty handed. I then watched the woman put the pieces away as they let in the next customer.

I am officially done visiting ADs….life is too short to waste any more time. Im thankful for the 5 Rolex pieces I have (most of which were purchased/trade with grey dealers). For the next while I’m moving onto other brands.

So if I go to your AD, have a chat with the staff there you'd be happy with me buying and walking out with that grail the AD says is still not in and taking it back to the UK?

I guess not.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 03:05 AM   #13
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
They looked bigger than the standard coffins we’re all familiar with….they looked almost like Patek-type boxes. But I couldn’t get a super clear look through the sheer curtain.

Ok, yea, that's the newer packaging. Doesn't change things in your case, though.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 03:18 AM   #14
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Most people don't have the stomach to see how the sausage is made.

Pieces are allocated to customers who are chosen by the AD/SA and presented in person by appointment.

They were honest. We have no men's watches! (for you) is implied.

No need to call them out. "Aha!!! Your day is booked with appointments and you ARE delivering watches!!!! Caught you!!!" Silly.

Browsing Rolex cases is a thing of the past if you think you are going to buy same day.

vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 03:29 AM   #15
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

Thrilling
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 03:33 AM   #16
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
So if I go to your AD, have a chat with the staff there you'd be happy with me buying and walking out with that grail the AD says is still not in and taking it back to the UK?

I guess not.
Well for one they don’t have to blatantly lie to anyone’s face. They can just be upfront and tell the truth.
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 03:46 AM   #17
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post

I guess not.

I don’t expect to pickup a grail. But I bet they’re even hoarding all kinds of bottom tier stuff in those drawers.

Old 29 October 2021, 03:48 AM   #18
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Most people don't have the stomach to see how the sausage is made.

Pieces are allocated to customers who are chosen by the AD/SA and presented in person by appointment.

They were honest. We have no men's watches! (for you) is implied.

No need to call them out. "Aha!!! Your day is booked with appointments and you ARE delivering watches!!!! Caught you!!!" Silly.

Browsing Rolex cases is a thing of the past if you think you are going to buy same day.

In both instances these customers left empty handed, so it doesn’t appear that they were actually picking up anything.

Old 29 October 2021, 03:50 AM   #19
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Well for one they don’t have to blatantly lie to anyone’s face. They can just be upfront and tell the truth.

I definitely think that’s a better approach.

Old 29 October 2021, 03:52 AM   #20
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
Thrilling

I’ll try to pepper in more suspense and intrigue in my next post.

Old 29 October 2021, 03:56 AM   #21
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
That kind of stuff makes me realise how lucky I am to own my 3 Rolex pieces. I never imagined it would get so hard.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 03:59 AM   #22
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

I don’t think you were lied to. They don’t have watches to sell to you as a new customer. That’s the same thing as having no men’s watches available. They’re not available to you. Everyone knows they have watches in stock. They’re just allocated already. It’s a hard pill to swallow and one that took me time to understand but it’s the truth. Nothing personal.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 04:04 AM   #23
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Why did you even think they would sell anything to a one time purchasing customer in todays market ?
At least they were upfront and didn’t string you along with a non existing waitlist or trying to force a bundle deal.
Old 29 October 2021, 04:08 AM   #24
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
Thrilling
The suspense !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 04:23 AM   #25
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Why did you even think they would sell anything to a one time purchasing customer in todays market ?

At least they were upfront and didn’t string you along with a non existing waitlist or trying to force a bundle deal.

I truthfully didn’t have any expectations with today’s market conditions. Though I guess we all secretly hope to stumble upon one of those AD’s we sometimes read about who don’t play any games and sell whatever (within reason) to whoever (within reason)

In fact, I went into one AD in Piraeus Greece a few weeks ago. Smaller little seaside city….in their displays they had quite a decent inventory - black op 41 / yellow gold stick day date and a couple different precious metal sky dwellers on oysteflex. I could have purchased any one of those pieces if I so desired….just wasn’t interested in those particular pieces / my wife will divorce me if I get another precious metal Rolex.

Old 29 October 2021, 04:30 AM   #26
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
I truthfully didn’t have any expectations with today’s market conditions. Though I guess we all secretly hope to stumble upon one of those AD’s we sometimes read about who don’t play any games and sell whatever (within reason) to whoever (within reason)

In fact, I went into one AD in Piraeus Greece a few weeks ago. Smaller little seaside city….in their displays they had quite a decent inventory - black op 41 / yellow gold stick day date and a couple different precious metal sky dwellers on oysteflex. I could have purchased any one of those pieces if I so desired….just wasn’t interested in those particular pieces / my wife will divorce me if I get another precious metal Rolex.

I know the problem with PM Rolex and the ‘approval’ required
Old 29 October 2021, 04:30 AM   #27
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
This describes the TRF these days even better!!!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 04:32 AM   #28
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Yes they only sell to previous customers……
And lie to new ones…
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 04:34 AM   #29
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Come on man, put yourself in the shoes of the sales individual. How many times can they answer you….. they don’t have anything for you, you hockey pucks!

Heck, they probably toss and turn in their sleep Daytona Daytona Daytona no no no can you imagine the nightmare of being a SA!!!

Bunch of cry babies
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 04:59 AM   #30
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post

Interesting, I genuinely did not know that.

How do Rolex ship their watches now then?

Thanks in advance

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote