The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 October 2017, 02:01 AM   #121
rkim11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Of course the DJ is a dressier watch and there are a lot of other dressier watches out there, but the Sub, and especially the ceramic ones, is a dressy looking watch. Hence the description versatile that has followed this watch everywhere.
rkim11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 03:19 AM   #122
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

I think very little difference is made here between (i) a suit, where in our day, we’d have to admit, pretty much any watch is admissible, and (ii) black tie, where would be poor form to wear any watch. For what good is knowing the time when one is enjoying whatever function commends a tux.

And while those various Rolex ambassadors or Danny Craig may not look silly with their bow ties out, shilling product on one’s wrist at any real world black tie event outside of Hollywood would hardly qualify as polite.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 03:37 AM   #123
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

As long as the king of Norway (Harald Rex) can wear his GMT Master 1675 to formal events like May 17th in Norway - I rest my case.

And he also wears it at other formal events too.

Here it is when it was fresh:

And the insert today is faded to absolute ghost...

See here on Jake's: http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2017/02...harald-of.html

Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 04:11 AM   #124
PascalSwiss
"TRF" Member

Nice mic drop !

There can be no better example to proof that you can now wear whatever you like.

We know now that traditionally, to wear no watch is required, but who cares anymore ?

Today you can wear a orange Omega Co-Axial and some will find it trendy.
Wear a SS bracelet and you will see some rolling eyes.
Wear a dress watch, it's still a watch.
Wear no watch and some will say:" look at him, he don't even have a watch.".

To each his own.
PascalSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 04:22 AM   #125
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
Absolutely. Here's the secret - no one cares! Wear what you enjoy.
00Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 04:44 AM   #126
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

+1 for wearing whatever you want....but I definitely have other preferences than a sub for formal wear. Wouldn't ding someone for it though if they did it....I've seen classic Casios with suits and I don't think there's much wrong with that.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 04:54 AM   #127
Pureform
Banned

Ill be wearing it casual...sport and suited up
Pureform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 05:04 AM   #128
maton12
"TRF" Member

Got new french cuff shirts so could wear DSSD every day

People don't notice anyway, and any sports Rolex will look better than an Apple watch
maton12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 07:11 AM   #129
zengineer
"TRF" Member

This comes up in one form or another on every watch forum every so often. It always goes the same.

Dive watches are not dress watches so some of us simply think it's a combination we wouldn't make for ourselves and are very unlikely to be convinced otherwise.

Others think it's fine or even believe they are trend setters. They will also not change their minds.

Some boldly say they not only wear dive watches with a suit, they wear plastic watches with a Tux. These people just might be trying a little too hard.

I don't think any of us care what anyone else does. Like many I am in the camp of "not something I'd do but you can do whatever you want". The original question was actually "Is it a dress watch?"....No, it absolutely isn't. "Can I wear it with a suit?"....Of course you can, and nobody will likely notice, care or question it.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 07:21 AM   #130
snypa
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Bluesy!
Yes!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

"Time will continue to move forward, whether you choose to make something of it or not"
snypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 08:03 AM   #131
Jim M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 14060M 16622
Yes.
Old 5 October 2017, 09:00 AM   #132
Rzani
Banned

Watch: BLRO
I just went to a wedding...wore a suit..didn't think twice about wearing my SD.
Rzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 09:35 AM   #133
samnk
"TRF" Member

The sub is one of the most versatile watches. Goes well with a white t-shirt and jeans and peaking under a nice shirt cuff. Even looks good when in the buff (jk) Can't go wrong...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
samnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 10:52 AM   #134
Roy Rolls
"TRF" Member

Wear the sea dweller for casual and with suits,
Roy Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 11:58 AM   #135
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
The original question was actually "Is it a dress watch?"....No, it absolutely isn't.
Haha. I like how you state to each their own, but then state an opinion as an absolute.

James Bond (for the previous generation) and the shiny ceramic bezel (for this generation) disagree with you.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 12:07 PM   #136
zesty55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
No way, need an excuse to buy another watch! 'Shucks a Sub isn't proper for wearing with a suit in this situation, I need to look at the PP site again.' :)
zesty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 12:23 PM   #137
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Haha. I like how you state to each their own, but then state an opinion as an absolute.

James Bond (for the previous generation) and the shiny ceramic bezel (for this generation) disagree with you.
It's clearly an attractive and luxurious watch and yes it doesn't look completely out of place with a suit. I get it, but it's all that while still being a dive watch at it's core. Are you suggesting you would put it in the dress watch and not the dive watch category?
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 12:38 PM   #138
run23
"TRF" Member

Do you wear SUBs, as a dress watch?

My contribution to absolutely yes!

run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 01:07 PM   #139
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Of course you can wear a sports rolex to a formal event. It goes with everything suit, tux, casual wear.
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 02:04 PM   #140
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's clearly an attractive and luxurious watch and yes it doesn't look completely out of place with a suit. I get it, but it's all that while still being a dive watch at it's core. Are you suggesting you would put it in the dress watch and not the dive watch category?
Agree completely.

Whether it's appropriate to wear with a suit may be a matter of opinion, whether it's a dress watch is not.

I wouldn't wear a Sub with a tux any more than I'd wear a Calatrava sport fishing.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 02:14 PM   #141
Genevapics
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Lots of good arguments on both sides of the aisle. I always say, "Wear what you like and like what you wear." A wise man once said, "Life is not a dress rehearsal."
Old 5 October 2017, 02:24 PM   #142
Star Ferry
Banned

One thing that does bug me: the idea that an expensive watch is a substitute for dressing well

My take is that if someone doesn't care enough to read and follow the dress code, then they are disrespecting the host. However, watches are not relevant to modern dress codes IMO

I kicked a guest out of my wedding for wearing a short sleeve polo and no jacket. "Seriously, man? Just because of my outfit?" Yeah, dude. Seriously.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 03:15 PM   #143
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Yep, all the time. Good more casual alternate to my normal JLC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 04:45 PM   #144
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I only got my sub date less than a month ago and have worn it every single day with absolutely everything.

I personally find that because of the shiny ceramic bezel and shiny crystal glass it actually looks more "dressy" than "sporty".
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 05:13 PM   #145
run23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would suggest that 'dress watch' isn't a real category in the same way a dive or pilot watch is, but rather a marketing term.

Watch categories used to reflect categories of what a watch could be used for: a dive watch is at least 100m water resistant with (usually) a bezel and could be taken underwater by a diver; a pilot's watch is big and legible and is useful (apparently) when doing what a pilot did when pilots needed big watches; a chronograph, well, has a chronograph, and with a tachymeter can time race cars. With dive computers, digital timers etc. those previous tool categories are just vestige terms of the original purpose. To say something was a pilot watch doesn't mean one would look ridiculous wearing one if one wasn't a pilot, just that back in the day if you were a test pilot having a big watch was useful so you would go to the store and buy a pilot watch.

A 'dress' watch is just a catch-all term for a watch that looks more elegant than a standard tool watch and has no historical specific job function. It doesn't mean that if a guy is getting dressed up, he needs to go buy a dress watch like a pilot would buy a pilot watch for his job. To say that is to let a marketing category dictate reality. It's like saying a doctor shouldn't wear a Brooks Brothers regent fit suit because he is a doctor and not a regent.

Men have been wearing watches en masse since around the WWI/WWII, and by 1965 Rolex was being advertised as something a man could wear with a suit, so that's like 57 out of 80-100 years that wearing a tool watch with a suit has been a thing for men to do (and since dive watches as we know them today weren't around until the early 1950s, that's almost the entire life of dive watches). Some watch people and the occasional cranky fashion writer may complain about it, but it's as relevant as complaining about the d$#n kids listening rock -n- roll and waiting for it to go away and for things to get back to normal.

Not sure why I end up posting so much about this, it must be some kind of mental disorder I have (-:.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 06:43 PM   #146
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Personally I'd prefer something with a bit more sparkle for dress. Likely a DJ, DD or their ilk.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 01:25 AM   #147
Xerxes77
Banned

I wear it most of the time with casual or sport dressy.
But it's most versatile watch
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 11:26 PM   #148
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I have worn my sub with a suit but usually I'll wear either my datejust or explorer with a suit.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 02:23 AM   #149
H_tony11
"TRF" Member

Yes. I wear it for every occassion
GMT2C, Daytona Black, Planet Ocean Seamaster, Datejust, 116610ln
H_tony11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 11:36 AM   #150
VinnieVegas
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
I have worn my sub with a suit but usually I'll wear either my datejust or explorer with a suit.
I'm with you.

* Seiko SRP777 (2017)
VinnieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote