The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 April 2015, 08:29 AM   #1
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Ceramic Bezel Inserts

I have a question for the pro's regarding Ceramic Bezel Rolex's. I know you shouldnt remove your bezel on a ceramic Rolex because of the fragile nature of the insert. But inquiring minds gotta know.

Do the bezels come off with a bezel removal tool like the older models with the Aluminum insert? Do they get pressed back on like the older models? How is the Bezel insert held onto/into the rotating Bezel? Glue, Double sided tape, Compression etc?

Thanks in advance...................................
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2015, 09:58 PM   #2
Jim Smyth
Banned

So no watch makers here have ever worked on any Ceramic Bezels? This has to be one of the biggest mysteries ever..............
Old 1 May 2015, 11:01 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I have a question for the pro's regarding Ceramic Bezel Rolex's. I know you shouldnt remove your bezel on a ceramic Rolex because of the fragile nature of the insert. But inquiring minds gotta know.

Do the bezels come off with a bezel removal tool like the older models with the Aluminum insert? Do they get pressed back on like the older models? How is the Bezel insert held onto/into the rotating Bezel? Glue, Double sided tape, Compression etc?

Thanks in advance...................................

Below is for the DSSD but all the rotatable ceramic inserts use the same principle,with the ceramic inserts its not only the delrin gasket that keeps bezel on the case.The ceramics although they say they are tough they need a lot more care when removing and to re-insert,while the aluminium ones were quite a easy DIY job.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2015, 01:01 AM   #4
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The ceramics although they say they are tough they need a lot more care when removing and to re-insert,while the aluminium ones were quite a easy DIY job.
+1

The aluminum inserts are a DIY job with a little training. The ceramic inserts are a total re-design. Any attempt to remove it by someone other than a watchmaker is NOT a good idea...

Old 2 May 2015, 05:55 AM   #5
Jim Smyth
Banned

I used to replace the aluminum inserts myself 30+ years ago. Once you understand how to do it its pretty easy. I know the new ceramic bezel is different hence my questions to the watchmakers here in watch tech. Either its built so well that in 9 years since ceramics have come out none of them have worked on one or they don't want to tell us fearing more people will just ruin them.
Old 4 May 2015, 06:52 AM   #6
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
I have worked on a lot of ceramic inserts from all of the various models. In order to properly (and with minimal risk) remove and refit ceramic inserts a very specific set of dies and jigs are required. If you do not have the tools and if you are not familiar with the standard operating procedure then do not attempt to remove or refit them.

This is definitely not a DIY job and if attempted could cost you a lot of cash.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2015, 03:01 AM   #7
Jim Smyth
Banned

We have the fact out of the way that removing Ceramic Bezels isnt a DIY job. I have no intention of doing this on my watch.

A thread came up in the General section where someone asked how the Ceramic Insert is held into the bezel. Thats what I would like to know.................how is the insert held in? Thats a pretty straight forward question.

Is it double sided tape? Is it press fit? Is it epoxy?

Inquiring minds gotta know.
Old 5 May 2015, 10:35 AM   #8
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Spoke to Rik Dietel about this. Rolex will not even sell CW21 watchmakers the special tool that removes and installs the ceramic insert bezels. They will also not sell the special Delrin retaining ring that holds the bezel onto the case. Supposedly, when the bezel is removed and re-installed a new retaining ring is to be used and the old one discarded. It is a scary thought to think if that ring becomes brittle over the years and breaks, the whole bezel assembly could fall off the case and be lost or damaged...Ouch $$$$
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2015, 10:36 AM   #9
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
We have the fact out of the way that removing Ceramic Bezels isnt a DIY job. I have no intention of doing this on my watch.

A thread came up in the General section where someone asked how the Ceramic Insert is held into the bezel. Thats what I would like to know.................how is the insert held in? Thats a pretty straight forward question.

Is it double sided tape? Is it press fit? Is it epoxy?

Inquiring minds gotta know.
Press fit AFAIK.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2015, 11:02 AM   #10
sweepsecond
"TRF" Member

To answer your two questions:

1. Yes, you can remove the rotating bezel with a blade type bezel removing tool - have not tried an Omega clamp style remover.

2. Just like the old bezel insert, the cerachrom insert is pressure fit, nothing is glued.

Unfortunately, ceramic, unlike aluminum, breaks very easily.

I heard that ASCs also do not order the insert alone, they must order the entire rotating bezel.
sweepsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 03:52 AM   #11
Jim Smyth
Banned

There ya go..................press fit it is. That for sure isnt going to be done by your average Joe. Or any watchmaker (other than Rolex) either it seems.

Thanks again for the input guys.