The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex & Other Watch Links & Resources

Old 17 April 2015, 08:34 PM   #1
The Watchology

Watch: Rolex, Omega, Pane
Rolex Submariner History – The Back-Story

Rolex Submariner History starts over 60 years ago, and is a watch with an interesting story. Today’s Rolex Submariner model is such an icon because of the long submariner history and development. http://www.thewatchology.com/rolex-s...he-back-story/

Rolex kept the distinct features (since 1953), while the innovations like ceramic bezel, masculine case and 904L steel bracelet with the new-generation OYSTERLOCK kept the Submariner up-to-date.

The two models today are;

‘Rolex Submariner No Date‘: http://www.thewatchology.com/rolex-s...erence-114060/

and ‘Rolex Submariner Date‘: http://www.thewatchology.com/rolex-s...ew-ref-116610/
The Watchology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2015, 12:31 AM   #2
SubTTKky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Icon7

Thanks for sharing!

Rolex Sub16613,GMT IIC 116713,Daytona 116523 (Golden Champage with Diamonds),DD1803,18038,18238,DJ16233,DJ16014,Omega Speedy
SubTTKky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2015, 09:30 AM   #3
ade916
"TRF" Member

Is this the last of the pre ceramic subs?

Hi I've been offered a 2010 sub the serial number is M33806* model 16610
Bezel 16610/161800 AC TOURN 60
Im Aware the serial number is the random type
ade916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Ace2Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116263 LP TOG
Interesting article about the history. I don't believe it's entirely accurate though. Pretty sure Chuck Yeager is wearing 1953 Turn-o-graph, the progenitor to both the 1954 Sub and the GMT. This is the reason Rolex released the "Thunderbird" edition TOG when Chuck broke the sound barrier. Without the TOG the Sub and GMT may never have existed as they were both a modified TOG design.

I strongly urge those interested in writing about Rolex history to take a look at a site such as https://beckertime.com/the-evolution-history-of-rolex/. They list their sources and seem to be a fairly accurate starting point for those interested in delving further into the back story of Rolex timepieces. There's enough Rolex history mystery. No need for us to make it more convoluted than it already is ;)

And remember kids... always list your sources!

228239♕14060M♕1601♕116263 LP♕116234♕
Time is the most valuable thing that a man can spend.
Ace2Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Viffer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060,351050,79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchology View Post
Rolex Submariner History starts over 60 years ago, and is a watch with an interesting story. Today’s Rolex Submariner model is such an icon because of the long submariner history and development. http://www.thewatchology.com/rolex-s...he-back-story/

Rolex kept the distinct features (since 1953), while the innovations like ceramic bezel, masculine case and 904L steel bracelet with the new-generation OYSTERLOCK kept the Submariner up-to-date.

The two models today are;

‘Rolex Submariner No Date‘: http://www.thewatchology.com/rolex-s...erence-114060/

and ‘Rolex Submariner Date‘: http://www.thewatchology.com/rolex-s...ew-ref-116610/
Any article that starts by calling the Submariner "no date" shouts a lack of accuracy from the first glance.
Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 11:28 PM   #6
Ace2Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116263 LP TOG
Wanted to redact my previous statement. In the particular picture in question Chuck is actually wearing a '54 sub. I came across a picture this morning which had me doing a double take. Apologies The Watchology!

228239♕14060M♕1601♕116263 LP♕116234♕
Time is the most valuable thing that a man can spend.
Ace2Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2015, 11:08 PM   #7
The Watchology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2Rolex View Post
Wanted to redact my previous statement. In the particular picture in question Chuck is actually wearing a '54 sub. I came across a picture this morning which had me doing a double take. Apologies The Watchology!
No Worries @ Ace2Rolex. Glad you clarified it. Hope you enjoyed reading it too! It is more of a 'story telling' angle than facts and history.

Any other errors are on my part and do feel free to point them out. Thank you!
Old 4 May 2015, 11:09 PM   #8
The Watchology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffer View Post
Any article that starts by calling the Submariner "no date" shouts a lack of accuracy from the first glance.
Do you mind sharing with me why does the term 'no date' is not accurate, Viffer?
Old 3 August 2015, 08:08 AM   #9
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchology View Post
Do you mind sharing with me why does the term 'no date' is not accurate, Viffer?
There is no such thing as a no date. It's either a sub or sub date. Original subs had no date. Not the other way around. That said to discount an article over a snobbish attitude is laughable.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2015, 06:53 PM   #10
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
There is no such thing as a no date. It's either a sub or sub date. Original subs had no date. Not the other way around. That said to discount an article over a snobbish attitude is laughable.
Very true. Only wis watch snobs take insult with such a silly detail.
The general public who Rolex sells to, walk into a store and would easily choose the to say, "yes I think I do like the Submariner no date(or without a date) more..." when deciding between the two watches.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote