The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 January 2006, 11:52 AM   #1
KCCHIEF
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona & Sub Date
Replica Question

So, I have a new SS Explorer II w/ black face. Today on the internet I was searching for the pricing of my watch on ebay and other online dealers and I noticed TONS of sites that offer replica Explorer II watches. Can a layman notice the difference between an actual Rolex and a knock-off? If so, what are the differences?

In college at The University of Arizona, I used to go to Nogales, Mexico quite a bit and almost bought a $20 replica Submariner. At that point in my life, I had never handled a legit Rolex so I would not have been able to tell a difference...

SS Daytona w/ White Dial (116520)
SS Submariner Date (116610LN)
KCCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCHIEF
So, I have a new SS Explorer II w/ black face. Today on the internet I was searching for the pricing of my watch on ebay and other online dealers and I noticed TONS of sites that offer replica Explorer II watches. Can a layman notice the difference between an actual Rolex and a knock-off? If so, what are the differences?

In college at The University of Arizona, I used to go to Nogales, Mexico quite a bit and almost bought a $20 replica Submariner. At that point in my life, I had never handled a legit Rolex so I would not have been able to tell a difference...
Unfortunately, KC, the knockoffs are becoming quite good these days. Most people are not going to be able to spot a good knock off just from the pictures.

What are the differences: the major difference is in the movement and the materials. Rolex makes all its movements in-house. It is therefore able to maintain a high level of quality control (even though you hear some people complaining now and then). There are also differences in the dial and exterior construction that are often very subtle and require study to discern. Materials are another area of difference. Rolex uses a high quality steel that would be too expensive for the cheap knockoffs to use. And their gold is solid - not plated.

Bottom line - there's the real deal and there's the fake. Never the twain shall meet.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2006, 12:04 PM   #3
KCCHIEF
"TRF" Member

Are the knockoffs lighter?

Old 11 January 2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Rockrolex

Quote:
Are the knockoffs lighter?
Usually, but not always.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 11 January 2006, 03:51 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
KC,

The knock-offs and replicas just keep getting better and better. Newer technology is a big help to these guys who can fabricate the perfect case, bracelet, dial and the rest. The only thing left is the movement...no problem!! Good ETA movements can be had for less that 50 bucks!!

So there you go....a superb looking replica that can fool even the experts. Every tiny detail copied and forged to perfection. Combine that with a good ETA 25 jewel movement and....VOILA...you have a super-duper fake!!

Your ONLY SURE bet to avoid all this is.....go AD!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2006, 08:11 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
And would 100% agree with you JJ, some of these fakes coming from Italy are almost impossible to differentiate until you take the back off.And IMO a replica is made to look like original but without the brand name on dial.All others with the brand name they are copying, are nothing more than out right fakes.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Air King Date

I usually pass a knock off vendor or two almost every day. All the latest knockoffs that are self-winding are now carrying holograms.
No, I didn't engage the vendors in the hearty debate of what to do with the hologram!
Air King Date is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2006, 09:40 PM   #8
rolexpower
"TRF" Member

Quote:

no they cant, and even experts cant, as u can see from the "mess" i caused,
rolexpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2006, 12:44 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

The share of the market of Rolex fakes is superior to the recorded sales of authentic watches.

http://www.europastar.com/europastar...ernet605_3.gif

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 January 2006, 01:20 AM   #10
KCCHIEF
"TRF" Member

I could not in good conscious where a knockoff and tell people it was real.

Old 12 January 2006, 06:15 AM   #11
chronosafe
"TRF" Member

Even high-end Rolex Explorer II replicas until recently have had a number of serious flaws, namely the GMT hand being too short and too fat, and the GMT hand functioning as a 24-hour hand, not as a GMT hand. Also there were some flaws in the bezel design that were readily apparent.

Recently, a high-end copy using an ETA movement has surfaced that has resolved several of these issues. The GMT hand adjusts as on the genuine watch, and is properly shaped. The bezel is still a bit flawed, but more accurate than it used to be.

In all honesty though, the high end pieces are a small subset when compared to the mass of poorly-made "tourist" replicas on the market. The Replica Watch Report covers the difference on the Explorer IIs in greater detail. I'll add some photos of the high-end replicas soon to the Gallery section of the web site.

The picture shown below is an example of the newer fake explorer II. Note the overly bold date font, but the correct-looking gmt hand.

Richard Brown
The Replica Watch Report
chronosafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2006, 08:00 AM   #12
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I have seen some nd subs and explorer I fake that look pretty real. No cyclopse to give them away and they used saphire crystals.

But fakes are fakes and not my thing. Once you have owned the real deal, you will know the difference. Enough said.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2006, 03:19 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K
I have seen some nd subs and explorer I fake that look pretty real. No cyclopse to give them away and they used saphire crystals.

But fakes are fakes and not my thing. Once you have owned the real deal, you will know the difference. Enough said.
Well said, Mark!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 12 January 2006, 07:57 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Yes agree a fake is a fake how ever good they are,and they should all be destroyed IMO.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 January 2006, 10:26 PM   #15
rolexpower
"TRF" Member

what do u mean by saying the gmt hand functions as a 24 hr and not a gmt hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronosafe
Even high-end Rolex Explorer II replicas until recently have had a number of serious flaws, namely the GMT hand being too short and too fat, and the GMT hand functioning as a 24-hour hand, not as a GMT hand. Also there were some flaws in the bezel design that were readily apparent.

Recently, a high-end copy using an ETA movement has surfaced that has resolved several of these issues. The GMT hand adjusts as on the genuine watch, and is properly shaped. The bezel is still a bit flawed, but more accurate than it used to be.

In all honesty though, the high end pieces are a small subset when compared to the mass of poorly-made "tourist" replicas on the market. The Replica Watch Report covers the difference on the Explorer IIs in greater detail. I'll add some photos of the high-end replicas soon to the Gallery section of the web site.

The picture shown below is an example of the newer fake explorer II. Note the overly bold date font, but the correct-looking gmt hand.

Richard Brown
The Replica Watch Report
Old 12 January 2006, 11:29 PM   #16
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpower
what do u mean by saying the gmt hand functions as a 24 hr and not a gmt hand?
I think he may mean that the fourth hand is directly linked to the hour hand, so it always shows 'military' time while on the real ExpII/GMTII, the hour hand can be set independently from the 4th hand, allowing a second timezone to be tracked.
Old 16 January 2006, 02:29 PM   #17
rolexpower
"TRF" Member

ah, mine is set for a time zone 2 hrs behind and works wonderfully, i read that time zone on the bezel and convert it from 24hr time to reg time
Old 16 January 2006, 03:43 PM   #18
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I can't understand why people buy these fakes

You know, I never understood the whole fake Rolex thing. I mean, the whole purpose of owning a Rolex, is just that , owning a Rolex, not a cheap watch that looks like one.
We pay thousands of dollars, not to show how much watch we can afford, but for the pride of owning such a rich piece of history. A mechanical work of art that has achieved amazing accomplishments in its deeply rooted past.
There are lots of watches out there that look a lot more expensive than most of the oyster professional line that costs half as much. So, if these people are wearing FAKES for reasons along those lines so be it, but They are just not getting the whole Rolex thing. More importantly their missing out on the pride that accompanies owning one of the best watches ever made, as well as, the ability to appreciate the craftsmanship of the piece and what it stands for.
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2006, 04:10 PM   #19
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
You know, I never understood the whole fake Rolex thing. I mean, the whole purpose of owning a Rolex, is just that , owning a Rolex, not a cheap watch that looks like one.
We pay thousands of dollars, not to show how much watch we can afford, but for the pride of owning such a rich piece of history. A mechanical work of art that has achieved amazing accomplishments in its deeply rooted past.
There are lots of watches out there that look a lot more expensive than most of the oyster professional line that costs half as much. So, if these people are wearing FAKES for reasons along those lines so be it, but They are just not getting the whole Rolex thing. More importantly their missing out on the pride that accompanies owning one of the best watches ever made, as well as, the ability to appreciate the craftsmanship of the piece and what it stands for.
CJ you are absolutely right on the money. I couldn't agree with you more.

Unfortunately, we now live in a world of increasing falseness and deception.

All I can say is I know I have the genuine article on my wrist and therefore I am content with just that. I wait for the day when some asshole asks me if my watch is real!

Steve
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2006, 04:22 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS
CJ you are absolutely right on the money. I couldn't agree with you more.

Unfortunately, we now live in a world of increasing falseness and deception.

All I can say is I know I have the genuine article on my wrist and therefore I am content with just that. I wait for the day when some asshole asks me if my watch is real!

Steve
Hey Steve,

Is your watch real??

Old 17 January 2006, 02:47 PM   #21
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Icon10 My Rolex IS real

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Hey Steve,

Is your watch real??
Hey JJ

My Rolex is 100% genuine and authentic. Purchased new in 2005 from Monards at 101 Collins St Melbourne. Still under Rolex warranty.
No cleavage there unfortunately.

BTW did you purchase your Breitling from an AD AKL? I thought I saw you mention before that you bought it from some Swiss Army shop

What else does he sell?

Steve
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2006, 03:18 PM   #22
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I've had some people ask me "Is that a real Rolex?"
I've often simply answered "they are making pretty good knockoffs now a-days"
Some people just don't need to know.
It's like gas mileage, if you have to ask, you shouldn't be asking.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2006, 03:37 PM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Hey JJ

My Rolex is 100% genuine and authentic. Purchased new in 2005 from Monards at 101 Collins St Melbourne. Still under Rolex warranty.
No cleavage there unfortunately.

BTW did you purchase your Breitling from an AD AKL? I thought I saw you mention before that you bought it from some Swiss Army shop

What else does he sell?

Steve
Hi Steve,

I got my Crosswind from Watches of Switzerland. They are affiliated with their parent company by the same name in Melbourne. They've got practically all the top Swiss watches, except Rolex. Nice shop with an excellent display, just a stone's throw away from Mansor's. Both shops are on Queen Street in Downtown Auckland.

JJ

Old 17 January 2006, 08:07 PM   #24
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Hey JJ

What else does he sell?

Steve
The Swiss Army Shop is where JJ got his TT YM
Old 18 January 2006, 12:27 AM   #25
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
The Swiss Army Shop is where JJ got his TT YM
I thought it was the Swiss Army Surplus Shop.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 19 January 2006, 01:54 AM   #26
DRVJA
"TRF" Member

I have a ss sub my friend has a replica of the same watch. We weighed them on a postal scale and the real was 1/10 ounce heavier.. the big difference is rotor noise when you wind. The rolex is silent the polex is noisy.
DRVJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2006, 10:27 AM   #27
tpearman
"TRF" Member

My experience

My first "Exp II" was a replica that I bought (sorry, JJ...I hope I don't get banned for this admission!) Anyway, when I finally bought the real thing, I wondered briefly if I had been taken, and had indeed bought another replica, because there was little, if any, difference in the weight, feel and finish of the watch. The only difference was the independently moveable GMT hand on the real one. After my AD confirmed that it was real, I was much relieved, and a little disappointed that the real one wasn't heavier, or better in some practical way than the replica!

Last edited by tpearman; 19 January 2006 at 10:28 AM..
tpearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2006, 10:36 AM   #28
JIM-
Banned

Yea I've seen some pretty good fakes as of late, but remember this, if you do decide to buy one on the internet and the sellers sends you junk or nothing you have no recourse because your buying a false product and your not protected by your CC when your buy counterfit goods.
JIM- is offline   Reply With Quote