The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 29 February 2020, 03:13 AM   #1
Ericiu
"TRF" Member

Importance of "white tags" for resale?

Hi all, I was reading through the forum regarding this... looking to purchase a PM Rolex from a dealer here and wanted some advice.

The watch I want can be had with/without the "white tag" that has the serial number. I've read some ADs purposely keep the white tag and others don't care and will give it to the customer.

How critical to resale value would you say having this white tag is all else being equal (boxes, warranty card, green tag)?

Thanks in advance
Old 29 February 2020, 03:17 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericiu View Post
Hi all, I was reading through the forum regarding this... looking to purchase a PM Rolex from a dealer here and wanted some advice.

The watch I want can be had with/without the "white tag" that has the serial number. I've read some ADs purposely keep the white tag and others don't care and will give it to the customer.

How critical to resale value would you say having this white tag is all else being equal (boxes, warranty card, green tag)?

Thanks in advance

If the person I was selling it to demanded I reduce the price because of a missing white tag, I’ll just sell to someone else.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:19 AM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would not worry over the white tag, but I am sure for some it is a deal breaker. Some folks are more interested in the packaging than the watch.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:22 AM   #4
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I would not worry over the white tag, but I am sure for some it is a deal breaker. Some folks are more interested in the packaging than the watch.
There is a member here who is adamant that the white tag must be present for a full set to be complete. I feel that is a bit over the top. Perhaps he will weigh in if/when he sees this thread.
Old 29 February 2020, 06:11 AM   #5
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
There is a member here who is adamant that the white tag must be present for a full set to be complete. I feel that is a bit over the top. Perhaps he will weigh in if/when he sees this thread.
That is a little over the top, but hey it's a hobby so the fact there are such eccentric people around doesn't surprise me.
Old 29 February 2020, 11:16 AM   #6
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
That is a little over the top, but hey it's a hobby so the fact there are such eccentric people around doesn't surprise me.
I think I know who @bigblu10 is talking about. This guy (who is totally entitled to his opinion) is adamant that a complete set includes the white tag, bezel protector, outer white box... To each his own.

Yeah, it would be good to have if it doesn't change the price, but I would never pay more for it.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:18 AM   #7
Bigblu10
Banned

None. Many AD's keep the white tag, and it has no bearing on value.
FWIW I purchased a new YG Sub from a seller here and it came with everything...except that tag. I could care less as the watch was discounted 25% off MSRP. And I plan to keep it.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:18 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Thanks in advance
The most important bit the watch and the warranty card the white tag is mainly a AD internal admin thing in most of the world, but the USA which is a separate company might be different.And IMHO is not critical for sale or future resale its just a bit of plastic..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 29 February 2020, 03:20 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
To me? not critical at all. I would be far more concerned about the condition, service history and time keeping performance of the watch.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 29 February 2020, 03:24 AM   #10
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance
This forum looks like a place everyone is a Grey market dealer of need some advice to make a good investment or a good deal from a money point of view..... What a shame

White tags people don't even know they exist
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
Old 29 February 2020, 03:31 AM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
This forum looks like a place everyone is a Grey market dealer of need some advice to make a good investment or a good deal from a money point of view..... What a shame

White tags people don't even know they exist
Been like this for quite some time now, few want to talk about watches any longer
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 29 February 2020, 03:25 AM   #12
Ericiu
"TRF" Member

Ok thank you for all the replies.

Yes I agree the watch itself is the most important but since it's a PM Rolex at substantial cost, I wanted to know what you guys thought about the lack of a white tag affecting resale over a used watch that had a white tag.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:27 AM   #13
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

Yes I agree the watch itself is the most important but since it's a PM Rolex at substantial cost, I wanted to know what you guys thought about the lack of a white tag affecting resale over a used watch that had a white tag.
What are you buying? Don't be bashful!
Old 29 February 2020, 03:28 AM   #14
Ericiu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
What are you buying? Don't be bashful!
Ha! The Everose Sky-D with dark rhodium dial... I think it looks gorgeous and quite practical for me with its complications.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:32 AM   #15
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Ha! The Everose Sky-D with dark rhodium dial... I think it looks gorgeous and quite practical for me with its complications.
Nice! That is a heavyweight. Post pics when you get it!
Old 29 February 2020, 07:19 AM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Bloody hell!

That's a fantastic pick up. Congratulations.

The white tag is not important. Sometimes you get one, sometimes you don't. Ditto the bezel protector.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:28 AM   #17
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
$0.00. Maybe less.

Edit: crossed posts. Model answered above.
Old 29 February 2020, 04:29 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

Condition of the watch is paramount.

You should never buy a poor condition watch with any kind of tag or box, over a pristine condition watch without, that just doesn't make sense.
Old 29 February 2020, 04:38 AM   #19
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
White tags are not really considered the total package anymore. A lot of ADs don't provide the item as part of the sale. Many ADs keep it as part of their own inventory control or "Rolex policy."

This. These days, you get watch with stickers removed, warranty card and booklets, inner and outer box (and sleeve), bag with links remaining after sizing, sometimes plastic bezel protector, and sometimes white serial and green chronometer hang tag. That is the new “full set.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Condition of the watch is paramount.

You should never buy a poor condition watch with any kind of tag or box, over a pristine condition watch without, that just doesn't make sense.

100%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29 February 2020, 04:55 AM   #20
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

When do you plan to resell the watch?
Old 29 February 2020, 06:11 AM   #21
Ericiu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
When do you plan to resell the watch?
No time soon... And price difference is substantial (1-3K) just don't think its worth it but thought I'd do my homework first on its importance
Old 29 February 2020, 03:36 AM   #22
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
White tags are not really considered the total package anymore. A lot of ADs don't provide the item as part of the sale. Many ADs keep it as part of their own inventory control or "Rolex policy."
Old 29 February 2020, 04:34 AM   #23
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I would never pay extra for one if I was buying and I would absolutely not drop my price if I was selling one without it. If potential buyer asked me to lower my price I would not even entertain the thought.
Old 29 February 2020, 04:37 AM   #24
vivicorsi
Banned

Hangtag 1000 € More
Bezel protector 2000€ more
Stickers ... oh my god 10.000 € more , at least!
Outerbox and no name on the warranty card....better check out Sotheby’s ! At least 100.000!
Old 29 February 2020, 04:38 AM   #25
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
I'd place the sales tag in the same category as the stickers and in most cases, the bezel protector.
Old 29 February 2020, 04:52 AM   #26
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

It’s not the most important piece at all but if you had 2 exact sets for sale and one had it but the other didn’t which would you go for? Also it may not matter much now but 10-20 years from now who knows? I wouldn’t refuse a watch for not coming with it but I’d absolutely want it if I can.
Old 29 February 2020, 04:54 AM   #27
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Never had an AD hold back anything even recently. Full set, white tag is always a plus but not a dealbreaker. Everything is however relevant to the price.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 29 February 2020, 05:06 AM   #28
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
No one cares about the white tag...
Old 29 February 2020, 06:53 AM   #29
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
No one cares about the white tag...
I would be willing to pay extra for a real full set.
Not having this piece is not a deal breaker for me.
Old 29 February 2020, 05:19 AM   #30
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I don't think I ever checked for it. Not going to now, either.
Closed Thread