The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 April 2024, 05:49 PM   #1
madsitalia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
About 3 weeks ago I got the call for a 126610LN. I was happy at the time, but over the course of several weeks, just really didn’t connect with it.

It’s a very basic monotone looking watch. Though I do get the appeal of it being a great daily. That said, I was at a conference last week, every Joe Schmoe had one. I don’t care about exclusivity but the fact that it’s so ubiquitous isn’t cool for me.

I’m thinking about moving on (maybe to add a 126711CHNR or a neovintage AP, or hold out for a SS GMT / SkyD blue or green).

Kind of venting here, but interested to hear what other people think or if they have ever had a similar experience.

Some pics for your time.

I totally agree. It’s a very nice and cool watch, but it doesn’t do it for me. That’s why the new explorer II is perfect
madsitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 08:44 PM   #2
ukwatchguy1
"TRF" Member

Very interesting read this thread, just read from start to finish. I currently own a 41mm Black sub date and totally agree with OP that I don't bond with mine either and feel like its the watch I "should" own, I find it boring, too bland and sometimes bulky but the glidelock helps a bit for comfort sometimes.

I had a black sub previously, changed for Mk1 Starbucks to try get that extra colour pop, but unless viewed dead on again I found the watch didn't look great on me so went back to a black sub yet again as feel it should be the one I have as default, but despite owning again for a while I am finding myself not loving it still.

To change out of this situation I would have to invest a fair bit extra money into the deal to change/ upgrade, via grey of course.

Pepsi Jubilee is a strong contender, as is a panda daytona 116 ref, also considered a full YG blue sub but not sure the all gold would wear as well in the long term and it is still a sub so still quite large etc.

We are expecting our 2nd child very soon and I kind of want to start making memories with the new timepiece and be set then with that watch and not look back, just struggling what to do.
ukwatchguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 08:43 PM   #3
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

The problem maybe the date. Never understood why anyone would buy anything other than the no-date sub. The fish-eye date works well with the DJs , looks very in keeping , but on Subs I have always thought it looks odd.
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 08:56 PM   #4
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I know what you mean.
I had a 114060 and a 116610 for about 6 years. Kept fighting the urge to replace them since they are classic watches. Finally traded them both for a BLNR and a VTNR,
Don't miss them at all.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 09:21 PM   #5
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
I get it from both sides, a Sub Date was the first Rolex I bought and I was totally made up with it, then once this forum took strong hold I bought a few other more complicated watches, sold it, and then a few years later I bought a No Date Sub but it was just too plain for me by now and I sold it after a few months, it was just before the hype so I didn't make any profit.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 09:26 PM   #6
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
New subs, I get it. Too big, bulky, and the clasp is a country mile long.

4 or 5-digit subs? Near perfection.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 10:20 PM   #7
krounchou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
New subs, I get it. Too big, bulky, and the clasp is a country mile long.

4 or 5-digit subs? Near perfection.
More than watch case, It's the clasp indeed. It takes too much space on the wrist and is quite thick.
5 digits clasps integrated better with the rest of the bracelet
krounchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 10:19 PM   #8
forg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
It's pointless to have a watch if you're not going to we
forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 11:15 PM   #9
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I’ll contribute my thoughts here as well. I’ve owned my Sub 41 since December of last year and something I was after since February of 2023.

I love the look but it’s growing obvious to me it’s a bit heavy to me compared to other watches. When I had my BB58 it just melted on my wrist and I forgot about it.

With the Sub 41 I never forget it’s on my wrist. I think part of this is the 21MM bracelet and maybe the clasp. It’s at least twice as big as the BB58.

I might be making the painful decision to sell it.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 11:43 PM   #10
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
3 weeks later… not connecting with my Submariner Date - moving on

It was a black dial, monotone watch when you bought it. Did you expect it to metamorphosize into something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 12:00 AM   #11
rufio0811
"TRF" Member

Watch: love em all
So you spent a substantial amount of money on that watch, you may or may not have been excited to get it. Then once you got it, you kept looking at other watches that you probably like more than what you just bought and realized that you already spent that much money, you could have spent a little more and have gotten that other watch, right?

This is perfectly normal! I'd recommend you avoid browsing pictures of watches online for a little while and give your new watch a fair chance.

Sometimes you don't love a new watch immediately but the more you wear it, the more you love it. If 6 months of wearing the watch go by and you still don't love it, then consider selling & finding the one you like.

I'm no expert but that's my .02
rufio0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 11:55 PM   #12
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Wanted a SS Sub Date for decades.
Finally went to an AD in '21 and got a rude awakening,
All they had in the case was a 16570 Black.
Bought it and like it, my one and done
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 11:56 PM   #13
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I felt the same way about my 216570 Polar Explorer. I wanted to love it, I tried to love it, I felt I should love it because the consensus was that it should be loved. But I felt nothing. As much as I wanted it in the abstract it did not fulfill my expectations. Traded it for a black 226570 and never looked back. It just works out that way sometimes.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 12:37 AM   #14
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
For me I would say I like it a lot but I want to love it and if that’s missing I will keep searching.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 12:40 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Some of us have bought the same reference more than once … and it still doesn’t work out
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 04:19 AM   #16
Heater3000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Some of us have bought the same reference more than once … and it still doesn’t work out
totally this!!!!!
Heater3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 01:10 AM   #17
ppierce
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you just want more more and more. Just buy something else and keep the Sub. Its a perfect watch. At the end of the day these are just watches. Maybe you are a joy of the chase guy.....
ppierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:47 AM   #18
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
A great watch, nothing wrong with it intrisically. But I can relate to OP. For me, the black Sub wasn't exciting when I was in the market for my first Rolex, my second or my third. It just wasn't meant to be. I would compliment someone on his Sub, absolutely, despite the fact it left me cold at the AD when I tried it on. Courses for horses. I like my TT Sub.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:58 AM   #19
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

People who don’t bond with Subs remind me of those who enjoy Woody Allen films, Shoegaze music and E-bikes.

The entire thing just doesn’t make sense to me.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 03:00 AM   #20
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I can relate - I wanted one for years and it just didn’t do it for me once it was on the wrist. I also see so many colleagues and random people in airports wearing them.

I ended up with a black dial Explorer II - I do a lot of travelling for work and hiking at the weekend so it suits my lifestyle and I love the gmt function and flash of orange. Couldn’t be happier with it and have never looked at my wrist and wished it was a sub. I’ve also never seen anyone else wearing one before or since I bought it which is a bonus!
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 03:01 AM   #21
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I think people tend to over-exaggerate the ubiquity of the Sub. I'm not going to deny it is a fairly common watch as far as Rolexes go, but I don't see it THAT often in the wild. Someone above said they saw 5 people at a BJ table wearing one? I've sat at my share of poker tables and whatnot in Vegas and I have never seen more than 1 guy wearing a Sub if even that. And Vegas is where I see the most Rolexes.

The sense of ubiquity is probably not helped by the copious amount of fake Rolexes (among which the Sub seems popular) and more-so the homages. Having said that, for all intents and purposes maybe this is all the same thing. You are wearing a black monotone diver that happens to look like a lot of other watches, and it makes your watch feel less special.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 03:27 AM   #22
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Its ubiquitous for a reason……and for what its worth i think pepsis are ten a penny too…infact Rolex in general are common watches….again for a reason
Old 19 April 2024, 03:34 AM   #23
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I think people tend to over-exaggerate the ubiquity of the Sub. I'm not going to deny it is a fairly common watch as far as Rolexes go, but I don't see it THAT often in the wild. Someone above said they saw 5 people at a BJ table wearing one? I've sat at my share of poker tables and whatnot in Vegas and I have never seen more than 1 guy wearing a Sub if even that. And Vegas is where I see the most Rolexes.

The sense of ubiquity is probably not helped by the copious amount of fake Rolexes (among which the Sub seems popular) and more-so the homages. Having said that, for all intents and purposes maybe this is all the same thing. You are wearing a black monotone diver that happens to look like a lot of other watches, and it makes your watch feel less special.

I have often expressed a similar sentiment.

Subs are not everywhere. lol

I think a fairer criticism is it’s a common choice for either a first or only Rolex and therefore a bit unimaginative. I think the reason it’s a popular choice among one-and-doners speaks to its timelessness and beauty.

The Sub deserves respect.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 03:45 AM   #24
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post

I agree but I think it’s very much exaggerated. I very rarely see one. And it’s not as if I live in the middle of nowhere. I was an executive for a financial services company (before retiring), I live in an affluent area, and I travel the world.

On TRF, people often post “everyone has one” or “I see one everywhere.” That’s utter nonsense. I do see them, but seeing two or three out in the wild over the course of a month or two is not the same thing as “everyone” has one.

Old 19 April 2024, 04:36 AM   #25
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I agree but I think it’s very much exaggerated. I very rarely see one. And it’s not as if I live in the middle of nowhere. I was an executive for a financial services company (before retiring), I live in an affluent area, and I travel the world.

On TRF, people often post “everyone has one” or “I see one everywhere.” That’s utter nonsense. I do see them, but seeing two or three out in the wild over the course of a month or two is not the same thing as “everyone” has one.

At least for me, it's not exaggerated. I was in a meeting not so long ago and in a room of maybe 40 men and women, I counted out 5 black submariner dates. I happened to have a Panerai on that day and a guy next to me a UN (which is the first time i've seen one in person TBH).

I actually ended up buying one, though I don't wear it as often as my others. But it actually grew on me more after trying it on than it did in photos.

All that said, it's popular for a reason.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 05:30 AM   #26
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlsu2008 View Post
At least for me, it's not exaggerated. I was in a meeting not so long ago and in a room of maybe 40 men and women, I counted out 5 black submariner dates. I happened to have a Panerai on that day and a guy next to me a UN (which is the first time i've seen one in person TBH).

I actually ended up buying one, though I don't wear it as often as my others. But it actually grew on me more after trying it on than it did in photos.

All that said, it's popular for a reason.

Even in that case, 5 out of 40 is not “everyone.” It’s 12.5%. And that, undoubtedly, was a unique situation. It’s not an every day event.

Old 19 April 2024, 05:50 AM   #27
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Even in that case, 5 out of 40 is not “everyone.” It’s 12.5%. And that, undoubtedly, was a unique situation. It’s not an every day event.

That’s high even if we assume everyone had a mechanical watch. Out of the 40, I think there were less than 10 of us.

I.e amongst those that care about watches, it’s a very high proportion
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 03:56 AM   #28
Mauiguy
"TRF" Member

I understand how you feel. I'm of the opposite opinion and must always have a black sub in my collection if not on my wrist. Since I was a kid, that watch had that certain identifiable look and the people who wore them were were men that I admired and wanted to be like. The fact that it's such a popular and ubiquitous watch only means that others find the design appealing as well. When I see someone else wearing one, I don't feel like I should be wearing something else. Instead I'm like, yeah buddy!

btw Vince, that sub looks great on you!
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 04:51 AM   #29
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiguy View Post
I understand how you feel. I'm of the opposite opinion and must always have a black sub in my collection if not on my wrist. Since I was a kid, that watch had that certain identifiable look and the people who wore them were were men that I admired and wanted to be like. The fact that it's such a popular and ubiquitous watch only means that others find the design appealing as well. When I see someone else wearing one, I don't feel like I should be wearing something else. Instead I'm like, yeah buddy!

btw Vince, that sub looks great on you!
Thank you! It’s funny, if there’s one thing I miss it’s the fit. Really thought complemented my wrist size and shape well.

Regarding the ubiquity point - at least in professional circles, I’ve ran in is a dime a dozen. Even out on the town it is probably what I see most.
Old 19 April 2024, 04:56 AM   #30
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I don’t doubt what you say re: ubiquity…but the vast majority of people
Don’t run in your circle .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Thank you! It’s funny, if there’s one thing I miss it’s the fit. Really thought complemented my wrist size and shape well.

Regarding the ubiquity point - at least in professional circles, I’ve ran in is a dime a dozen. Even out on the town it is probably what I see most.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote