The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29 April 2023, 03:06 AM   #1
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

A word in support of the new IWC Ingenieur

So today, I had a brief opportunity to handle the new IWC Ingenieur, a watch that has generally been welcomed with great fanfare until people realized what IWC intends to charge for it. I have read consistently that it was a fantastic watch but that it was completely overpriced, seeing as it had the same movement as a mark series.

After seeing the thing in person though, I can confidently say that I would pay 12k for it. And indeed I will, once I get the call. It’s a phenomenal watch in person. In terms of wearing experience, it has that same delicacy you get from a 5711 or 15202. it doesn’t quite have as beautifully sharp a set of indexes as a VC Overseas but then again, a. neither do those other two watches, and b. (for having had one for so long) I can confidently say the overseas feels less delicate overall.

The main point of attraction on this new Ingenieur to me was the bracelet. It is a full class above what we know from IWC and has that „liquid“ draping quality to it that you’d otherwise have to go to the 5711 for. A sort of luxurious finesse that makes your typical watch bracelet in that price tier feel a bit blunt. At least that’s how my Rolex Jubilee felt next to it.

Another frankly stunning aspect is the Aqua colored dial. The black is pretty, but pretty flat at the same time. The Aqua though, that’s something else.

Altogether, what you get in terms of wearing experience is well above what you’d expect from a simple IWC three hander and in particular, in a different league to what you’d get in a Mark series or a pilot chrono (I got one of the latter).

Granted, the movement is no different from the one in the Mark. But you don’t see it and provided it works precisely enough (always a bit hopes and prayers with IWC) it doesn’t much matter. It’s not like the 5711 has that fabulous of a movement either, it’s nice, but pretty basic too compared to what else Patek can do when they pour their heart into it. So for one third the price, if that’s the only difference (which you can’t even see given the closed caseback, the Ingenieur is almost a bargain.

I know it convinced me. I‘m on the list and being told to look forward to a delivery later this year. They don’t expect long waiting lists over time, though I believe once this permeates beyond the initial reviews, it could well become quite popular.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote