The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

View Poll Results: Pens and pen related topics
Yes, I'd like to see a dedicated pen related topic forum or subforum. 85 77.98%
No, a pen related forum/subforum isn't something that I would care to enjoy 24 22.02%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 October 2009, 07:03 AM   #61
mck22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
Well with all this talk about pens, I figured why not ask here, now!!! I have been looking for a nice used MB pen. I know nothing about it, and i dont know what a fair price is, or what is good/bad about them. So here is the deal. I found a local guy who is wanting to get rid of a MB. He tells me it is a few years old, and it is called a Black Generation BP. Now what is a fair price on this, and what should I look for, and is it a good choice. Here are some pictures he has of it. Thanks for any help guys!!!

mck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 07:29 AM   #62
SDDS
"TRF" Member

i vote yes.. i have alot of great pens some of them new and some of them are vintage.. and i would to like to discuss about them
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 09:18 AM   #63
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mck22 View Post
Well with all this talk about pens, I figured why not ask here, now!!! I have been looking for a nice used MB pen. I know nothing about it, and i dont know what a fair price is, or what is good/bad about them. So here is the deal. I found a local guy who is wanting to get rid of a MB. He tells me it is a few years old, and it is called a Black Generation BP. Now what is a fair price on this, and what should I look for, and is it a good choice. Here are some pictures he has of it. Thanks for any help guys!!!
Generations are the entry line of MB that's still in production. You won't find them featured in Montblanc's website...
Mostly they are used as corporate gifts. The one you showed FPH has it for $195 new.
Used ones anywhere from 50-100 I suppose, but they are difficult to get rid of later on. If you just want a MB pen and have no preference, the Meisterstuck or Starwalker line is better.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 09:47 AM   #64
blackmsport
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mck22 View Post

I pay max $100-$120 each for those if condition 80-90%

Last few weeks I bought 98% new MB starwalker ($165), 90% starwalker ($155), 95% new set of two MB pencils ($145), GvFiber brand new ($180).... been offered brand new MB starwalker roller for $140

RRP for those are $400+ each

all via seller on FPN
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 12:13 PM   #65
Greenring
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Pilot G-2 07's - smooth roller ball lays down the ink effortlessly. Always in my pocket. My Montblanc's are classic but I still prefer that plastic wonder, my G2 07's.
Greenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 03:12 PM   #66
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Yes...yes...yes!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a great idea. just added two more to my collection one week ago as wedding presents. From the wife a nice Waterman, and from my best man a Pelikan . Both fountain pens.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 08:08 PM   #67
Lol-x
Facilitator

This is too rich for me, but I think Kai (2careless) could buy it out of spare change:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTBLANC-YEAR-O...#ht_6079wt_941

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 08:11 PM   #68
2careless
"TRF" Member

You gotta be kidding me Steve. 88/88 and gold dragon with diamonds.
I'll need a 2nd mortgage on the house for this. nty :)

Talking about gold dragon, show us your Gold dragon 2000.

Latest purchase - Visconti Art Nouveau Rollerball, a poor man's Octavian

Old 24 October 2009, 08:15 PM   #69
Lol-x
Facilitator

I'm missing my camera at the moment. My office got packed up for new carpet and my camera is in about 1 of 12 boxes

I will get around to it soon.

This Diamond Dragon is the equal of the Rolex GMT ICE. They would go together quite well.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 24 October 2009, 09:45 PM   #70
AIKO
"TRF" Member

Why, yes. The Pittsburgh Pens are the best team in hockey! Last year I posted a thread during their winning Stanley Cup effort, the title was something along the lines of " How about those Pens!?" Of course I wanted to talk hockey. You would have thought I called peoples kids ugly. They were irritated that I really did not mean Pens.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 10:39 PM   #71
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
This is too rich for me, but I think Kai (2careless) could buy it out of spare change:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTBLANC-YEAR-O...#ht_6079wt_941

I hate these major life decisions . . . buy the pen or pay for one year of Princeton's tuition?
Old 25 October 2009, 03:10 AM   #72
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenring View Post
Pilot G-2 07's - smooth roller ball lays down the ink effortlessly. Always in my pocket. My Montblanc's are classic but I still prefer that plastic wonder, my G2 07's.
I use these a lot at work myself. We get them as office supplies and they are good. Not fountain pens, but more practical.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2009, 07:03 AM   #73
2careless
"TRF" Member

I voted no. Starting a precedence of other collectible hobbies here in TRF will incur the following decisions later on:
1. Are we going to start a section on e.g. stamps, or coins or whatever other collector items members may want to discuss?
2. Are we going to allow forsale items on these collectibles to be in TRF's for sale subforums? Have we got enough experts to provide watchout service?

TRF has its niche and specialty. Branching out to other collectibles can dilute its brand value, imho.
Old 25 October 2009, 12:24 PM   #74
Lol-x
Facilitator

Some good (ball) points made

There is nothing stopping anyone enjoying the pleasure of pens by posting here or other posts on this open forum, however, I'm not, at the end of the day, convinced that a pen forum is necessary and appropriate.

Although the poll shows quite strong positive results, what it doesn't include are those who simply did not respond at all. Given the significant population of the forum we may well be talking about the 'vast silent majority' who did not care to participate, and this is also a relevant factor in the decision.

Old 25 October 2009, 12:50 PM   #75
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Well, not everyone is a pen enthusiast. Yet. I think given a chance, they'd like it. But they need to try some different pens out, you just can't do that effectively over the internet. Here's a try anyway:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0111_edited-2.jpg (91.6 KB, 65 views)

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2009, 02:15 PM   #76
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
This is a thread which where we will seek to gauge the interest in discussing pens and pen related matters such as buying and selling pens, paper, collectable pens, nibs, inks, writing etc. etc.

You're welcome to voice your opinion and talk about any of the topics alluded to above.

Pens are probably one of the closest collectable items next to watches, so I'm interested to see what response this brings.
I think it is a great idea....
Old 26 October 2009, 05:45 AM   #77
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
I have a basic question for those who know a lot about pens:

If I had $150 to spend on a good pen, what would you suggest? I know little or nothing about them, other than the basics. Any good pens I've used in the past took a regular metal refill, so I've never messed with ink cartridges, etc.

I like a pens that have a little weight to them, with somewhat thicker bodies. I usually like gel ink, with a 5mm or 7mm tip.

I'm not adverse to a fountain pen, but I would definitely be looking for one that is 'low maintenance'. Getting supplies where I live would probably prove to be difficult (mail order stuff usually never makes it to your house).

Suggestions?

thanks.
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 06:40 AM   #78
2careless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
I have a basic question for those who know a lot about pens:

If I had $150 to spend on a good pen, what would you suggest? I know little or nothing about them, other than the basics. Any good pens I've used in the past took a regular metal refill, so I've never messed with ink cartridges, etc.

I like a pens that have a little weight to them, with somewhat thicker bodies. I usually like gel ink, with a 5mm or 7mm tip.

I'm not adverse to a fountain pen, but I would definitely be looking for one that is 'low maintenance'. Getting supplies where I live would probably prove to be difficult (mail order stuff usually never makes it to your house).

Suggestions?

thanks.
1. how do you use your pens? Do you use 1 piece or 2 pieces? (i.e. cap and barrel separated) do you post your pens if it's in 2 pieces?
2. what occasion do you want to use this pen for? office or for showoff or ?
3. do you like classic design e.g. plain color barrel, metal cap or you like colourful combos with engravings/ornaments?
4. do you bite your pens? gotta ask as this means a bic or pilot would be better.
Old 26 October 2009, 11:52 AM   #79
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
1. how do you use your pens? Do you use 1 piece or 2 pieces? (i.e. cap and barrel separated) do you post your pens if it's in 2 pieces?
2. what occasion do you want to use this pen for? office or for showoff or ?
3. do you like classic design e.g. plain color barrel, metal cap or you like colourful combos with engravings/ornaments?
4. do you bite your pens? gotta ask as this means a bic or pilot would be better.
Excellent questions! Please see below:

1. how do you use your pens? Do you use 1 piece or 2 pieces? (i.e. cap and barrel separated) do you post your pens if it's in 2 pieces? I normally put the cap on the end of the pen, as it seems to balance the pen better.

2. What occasion do you want to use this pen for? office or for showoff or ? I would actually prefer to fly under the radar a bit. I love great quality, but would prefer to stay from anything that would draw attention. Also, I would likely use it at home for a while, and then transition to the office when I no longer work in a metal fabrications plant. So, home for now, and office in the next two years or so.

3. do you like classic design e.g. plain color barrel, metal cap or you like colourful combos with engravings/ornaments? I'd probably say I would be more of a classic design type. I'm rather conservative in the way I dress, and other than a watch and wedding ring, I rarely wear any other jewelry. Metal capped pens look very nice in my opinion, but I have had problems finding resin pens that have enough weight to feel comfortable in my hand. MB pens, for example, have never felt quite right to me. I'm sure they are great quality, but I can't see the quality for the price.

4. do you bite your pens? gotta ask as this means a bic or pilot would be better. Nope, I barely have time to chew my food, much less a pen. Funny question, though.

If there's anything else that would help you narrow in on a suggestion, please let me know. I have seen a few of the Caran d'Ache pens that look great, and appear to have nice looking metal bodies. Not sure about the girth, but they look great in pictures.

Also, probably a rollerball would be a better choice for me as I tend to be a little more rough on my stuff (dropping it, etc.).

Thanks again for the input!
Old 26 October 2009, 04:14 PM   #80
Lol-x
Facilitator

I hope I can get a Mont Blanc soon. I want to get a 149. They are the biggest pens made by Mont Blanc with a double or triple broad nib

Jamie, that blue is awesome on your pen.

Old 26 October 2009, 07:27 PM   #81
2careless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
If there's anything else that would help you narrow in on a suggestion, please let me know. I have seen a few of the Caran d'Ache pens that look great, and appear to have nice looking metal bodies. Not sure about the girth, but they look great in pictures.

Also, probably a rollerball would be a better choice for me as I tend to be a little more rough on my stuff (dropping it, etc.).

Thanks again for the input!
Apart from MB's, I'm also fond of Faber Castell.
Have a look at their "Ambition" line. The rollerball with black resin is only $60. e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=380169572308
Also very stylish is their Intuition line but they are more pricey approx $250. e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=290356891290
They all have a very classy Teutonic look.

Another I would recommend is the Visconti Metropolis series. It's pure metal - I've got a rollerball for my son and it's like $180 after discounts.
Old 26 October 2009, 08:18 PM   #82
greenfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710 Coke
Love fountain pens and use them everyday!
I've got a Parker Duofold Centennial in Lapis blue, a Parker 75, Cisele pattern in Vermeil, dated from the 60's, which has the smoothest writting I've ever seen and a classic Montblanc MEISTERSTÜCK 149. I also have some cheap Parkers (5 or 6) that stay in my office.
Old 26 October 2009, 10:37 PM   #83
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Apart from MB's, I'm also fond of Faber Castell.
Have a look at their "Ambition" line. The rollerball with black resin is only $60. e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=380169572308
Also very stylish is their Intuition line but they are more pricey approx $250. e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=290356891290
They all have a very classy Teutonic look.

Another I would recommend is the Visconti Metropolis series. It's pure metal - I've got a rollerball for my son and it's like $180 after discounts.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll do some research later today and see if I can find something while in TX later this week. Spending upwards of $200 isn't a problem if the quality is there, and it looks & feels right. Now I just need to find someplace in San Antonio to do some test drives.....

Again, thanks!
Old 26 October 2009, 10:42 PM   #84
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Voted Yes
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 07:29 AM   #85
sexner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 169622, 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
i guess if i had a timex i would probably want a mont blanc
What exactly is your point?!.

Old 27 October 2009, 07:37 AM   #86
Mrdi
Banned

Originally Posted by rolexgiants
i guess if i had a timex i would probably want a mont blanc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexner View Post
What exactly is your point?!.

I think the point is MB are over rated.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 08:24 AM   #87
Troy
Banned

Watch: Tudor Sub. 7928
Buy a pencil you sharpen it and burn the shavings in the fireplace get heat and it writes.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 08:29 AM   #88
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
I bought a Vintage Waterman ballpoint recently on eBay. It didn't have the cartridge and definitely didn't use the modern one... I contacted the USA Parker/Waterman service center and sent pics of the pen.

They responded and said it was one of two - they mailed me a sample of each! Now I know what to order in the future. :)

That's great customer service.

I'd say Waterman is the Seiko of nice pens. Agree?
Old 27 October 2009, 08:43 AM   #89
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfan View Post
Love fountain pens and use them everyday!
I've got a Parker Duofold Centennial in Lapis blue, a Parker 75, Cisele pattern in Vermeil, dated from the 60's, which has the smoothest writting I've ever seen and a classic Montblanc MEISTERSTÜCK 149. I also have some cheap Parkers (5 or 6) that stay in my office.
The 149 is my dream pen and with an OBBB nib too...I really want that pen bad

Old 27 October 2009, 12:58 PM   #90
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
Pens,pens addicting little suckers. I have a Parker,Waterman,Omas,and Krone. Oh,yes,I also have a few Cross pens. But nothing says class like a fine watch combined with a fountain pen.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote