The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 May 2024, 07:48 AM   #1
Josunese1975
"TRF" Member

Would you sell your well running 32XX Rolex with no issues?

Knowing what you know now, would you sell any of your watches with 32XX movement that has had no issues? I have three Datejusts...16220, 16234 and 126200. Of the three,126200 from 2020 is most accurate but least favorite. Thankfully and luckily, it has had no movement issues that have plagued others. For now I'd like to just have two Datejusts so I'm thinking of selling the 126200. I'm thinking if I do sell it and try to acquire another one in the future, i may end up buying one with the movement issue. Hopefully Rolex has completely solved the issue by then but who knows? What would you do?
Josunese1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 08:02 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I wouldn’t even sell any of my 32xx movement watches with issues
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 08:41 AM   #3
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I wouldn't sell but hang on and hope for the best in the long run.
Especially if i really liked the watch
But i wouldn't necessarily hang onto a watch purely because it had a 32xx movement.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 08:45 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

it could have the 8675309 Jenny Special movement... not selling.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 08:46 AM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

What does the 32 movement running well have anything to do with selling or not selling a watch? The assumption of the premise bizarre.
If you are convinced there is an issue with the movement in the future and are thinking about it this much, its time for you sell em all and get a good night sleep.

I have had maybe over 9 or more Rolex watches with the 32 movement and not any issues while I have owned and actually kept casual track of their accuracy.
Old 16 May 2024, 08:57 AM   #6
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I've just lost what appears to be the mainspring on my 216570 (calibre 3187) Explorer II. This is my third 31 movement failure in four years, the others being a 3 year old 116610LV (caliber 3135) Submariner date, and a 2 year old 116400GV (calibre 3131) Milgauss.

My 2021 126710BLRO is running just fine and keeping good time. Reliability is relative and in the eye of the beholder. Regardless of potential reliability and the experiences of people I don't know and will never meet, I would sell the watch I liked the least.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 09:05 AM   #7
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Had two. Sold both (one lost amplitude after 3 months, other was fine after one year). No longer a modern Rolex fan. Still have and love an old beat up Explorer.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 09:08 AM   #8
Banned

Silly
881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 09:23 AM   #9
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I've just lost what appears to be the mainspring on my 216570 (calibre 3187) Explorer II. This is my third 31 movement failure in four years, the others being a 3 year old 116610LV (caliber 3135) Submariner date, and a 2 year old 116400GV (calibre 3131) Milgauss.

My 2021 126710BLRO is running just fine and keeping good time. Reliability is relative and in the eye of the beholder. Regardless or potential reliability and the experiences of people I don't know and will never meet, I would sell the watch I liked the least.
Reliability is not strictly relative.
If one is talking about Mainsprings, that is always to be expected as a common failure point for any mechanical movement whether it be a watch or a clock.
With regard to Rolex 31xx movements and those that preceeded them an acknowledged weakness is the Oscilating weight bearing arrangement. Speaking to that, not all watches will ever have an issue for the life of the watch or as long as a person may own it or between services regardless of how long one goes between services. Some may have an issue with lubrication that will be the trigger for a timely service.
32xx movements have also had the bearing changed for an unknown reason with no damage to the watch to tell the story.
Then there are those which may or may not suffer damage from an accidental drop and in that case it's a lottery as to whether that may be the only thing wrong with the watch or the movement.
The same basically applies to 32xx movements.
With the exception that some 32xx movements may have parts that grind themselves to dust for an unknown reason and profoundly affect the accuracy well before the warranty has expired.
In some cases this phenomenon can occur multiple times before the warranty has expired with the associated profound degradation of accuracy. Sometimes it's difficult for the technicians to pin down the cause with parts meeting the acceptance criteria.
I put it to you this is not necessarily relative, but in the order along some spectrum of the balance of probabilities which are not quantifiable.

The history has clearly shown the essential differences lies in the balance of probabilities which are influenced by variables as it is with everything.
Old 16 May 2024, 10:17 AM   #10
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

If you don’t like the outside of the watch, the inside is irrelevant. Sell it.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 10:21 AM   #11
Easy E

Also, I have had 6 take a dump. Currently own 5 32s, two have been serviced, two run great-including a BLNR that is about one month shy of 5yrs old, and one is brand new. If it works then it works, I’m keeping the ones that run….for now
Old 16 May 2024, 10:25 AM   #12
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Nobody but us cares about a movement or about a few seconds a day.
Don’t overthink, keep the ones you like most and ignore the engine
Old 16 May 2024, 10:27 AM   #13
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Also, I have had 6 take a dump. Currently own 5 32s, two have been serviced, two run great-including a BLNR that is about one month shy of 5yrs old, and one is brand new. If it works then it works, I’m keeping the ones that run….for now
Just because it has a 32xx movement is not enough for me to consider selling it. I have a 120460 sub, and 126610LV that run great - for the year I have had them. If 1 were to become problematic, then I'd consider dumping it. But no, I'm not losing any sleep over the 32xx movement
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 10:38 AM   #14
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Keeping mine. If any start running way out of spec, I’ll send them for service. No big deal! I like my Rolexes.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 10:38 AM   #15
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Nobody but us cares about a movement or about a few seconds a day.
Don’t overthink, keep the ones you like most and ignore the engine
The problem is the OP may have bought the watches on the basis they are the latest and greatest. They no doubt paid a generous premium for the privelidge.
It's all well and good until the warranty expires, then we are on our own and have to pay to play with the 32xx movement failing to meet expectations. Potentially in perpetuity.
Old 16 May 2024, 11:13 AM   #16
77T

Sell it quick - don't lose a second!
(I just thought that up, and liked it so much, that I had to use it before I lost it)

Let me get this straight...
If I knew now, that a 32xx that I already owned with no issues, but it might have a future issue, would I sell it, and then try to acquire another one in the future, which might be one with an issue, or one without an issue, but might have a future issue, and hopefully Rolex had solved the issue by then, but who knows, what would I do?
It's simple...
I'd slit my wrists in a bathtub full of warm water.

OK seriously, I would sell it if I wasn't really liking it like the other DJs, but I'd never look back. Maybe I'd get a 4 digit DJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 11:35 AM   #17
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I’m not selling any of my watches. The 32xx movement has no bearing on that decision one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 06:00 PM   #18
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
If I were to sell one of my watches, whether it has the 32xx movement or not would be irrelevant.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 06:06 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I wouldn’t even sell any of my 32xx movement watches with issues
Have to agree just wish they would bring back the good old days before these time apps, loupes, alignment points, timegrapers and the rest of today Rolex toys. When everyone bought there watches to wear and enjoy without expecting them for every detail, and checking time constantly for the exact second.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 06:22 PM   #20
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree just wish they would bring back the good old days before these time apps, loupes, alignment points, timegrapers and the rest of today Rolex toys. When everyone bought there watches to wear and enjoy without expecting them for every detail, and checking time constantly for the exact second.
I'm completely agree with you. Good old times should come back
Old 16 May 2024, 06:31 PM   #21
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by agriculture&watches View Post
I'm completely agree with you. Good old times should come back
Yeah, before the internet and these stupid forums!
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 06:37 PM   #22
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Reliability is not strictly relative.
I should have said "perceived reliability". It is not possible to know what the data are for every Rolex ever sold. Each of us apply our own experience and make decisions accordingly. I've owned some cars with awful reputations for reliability which have run perfectly for years. As far as I'm concerned they have been reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
In some cases this phenomenon can occur multiple times before the warranty has expired with the associated profound degradation of accuracy.
I know how that goes. My three 31x failures led to profound failures of accuracy when they stopped ticking. Two were within warranty, the latest one just missed so that's going to cost a bit.

If my experiences with the 31x movement is in the mid range of the bell curve I think we would hear a lot more about it, but I can only go on personal experience. My Rolex AD's after sales service has been impeccable.

Last edited by Harry-57; 16 May 2024 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Error in original post
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 07:23 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Just buy 7 of them, then you can wear a new one each day and it should keep decent time
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 07:25 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Yeah, before the internet and these stupid forums!
Nothing wrong with forums but say especially over the past 5 or so years, many of the posts and questions asked are for without doubt questionably bordering on like you put stupid.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 08:25 PM   #25
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Never had issues with any of mine and they're all staying.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 09:38 PM   #26
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
This is overthink a situation before it even happens, if it happens. Enjoy your watches.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 11:26 PM   #27
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
To flip or not to flip, that is the question. LOL
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 11:32 PM   #28
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

If I liked the watch and it was not having an issue, I would not sell it. If it developed the 32XX issue under warranty, I would have it serviced, then sell it. If the issue developed after the warranty expired, I am not sure what I would do: sell it as is, or have it serviced, then sell it. Fortunately, I don't own any 32XX watches, and I won't until I am confident the low amplitude issue has been resolved. Given Rolex's silence on the issue, I may never have that confidence.
Commander C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 11:48 PM   #29
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josunese1975 View Post
Knowing what you know now, would you sell any of your watches with 32XX movement that has had no issues? I have three Datejusts...16220, 16234 and 126200. Of the three,126200 from 2020 is most accurate but least favorite. Thankfully and luckily, it has had no movement issues that have plagued others. For now I'd like to just have two Datejusts so I'm thinking of selling the 126200. I'm thinking if I do sell it and try to acquire another one in the future, i may end up buying one with the movement issue. Hopefully Rolex has completely solved the issue by then but who knows? What would you do?
Just sell it.
Old 17 May 2024, 01:50 AM   #30
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I have had a few sports watches w the newer movement along w a 2022 BLRO I have now. Still no issues. And I own a Timegrapher.