The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2006, 03:15 AM   #1
Atomic

No Longer an Authorized Dealer?

A colleague of mine and budding WIS was in Toronto this weekend and told me that La Swiss is no longer carrying Rolex. Any truth to this?

I'm hardly surprised as they lost the Tudor line about a year ago. I also was told (by their manager at Eaton Center) that because the head-office staff purge all LVs and SS Daytonas before they're shipped to the stores and sell them on the gray market at a huge mark-up, that they were in peril of losing distribution rights.

If La Swiss lost Rolex... who's picking up the slack? Certainly not Birks after their debacle.

Anyone? Anyone?
Old 17 January 2006, 03:18 AM   #2
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
TRUE, they lost their line or Rolex around last summer or a bit before.
I was in there around Christmas. I can see why they lost it.
The TWO sales rep's didn't have a clue about any of there watches.
One guy didn't even know what the 3 dials on a Daytona style watch were for. NO FOOLING.
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2006, 03:22 AM   #3
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

There are only 3 AD's in Vancouver.
They are not chain stores. I bought mine from Montecristo's & I don't remember the other 2 .
Old 17 January 2006, 03:45 AM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
There are only 3 AD's in Vancouver.
They are not chain stores. I bought mine from Montecristo's & I don't remember the other 2 .
I bet you can always count on Montecristos.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2006, 03:47 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
I bet you can always count on Montecristos.
TEN at the most!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2006, 04:22 AM   #6
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
A colleague of mine and budding WIS was in Toronto this weekend and told me that La Swiss is no longer carrying Rolex. Any truth to this?

I'm hardly surprised as they lost the Tudor line about a year ago. I also was told (by their manager at Eaton Center) that because the head-office staff purge all LVs and SS Daytonas before they're shipped to the stores and sell them on the gray market at a huge mark-up, that they were in peril of losing distribution rights.

If La Swiss lost Rolex... who's picking up the slack? Certainly not Birks after their debacle.

Anyone? Anyone?
John - I heard about this a long time ago. I can say for sure that when I was kicking around all the stores last summer and fall, La Swiss was not carrying any new Rolex, but did have a couple in the Eaton's Center store in the pre-owned case.

I guess Damiani's and RDV would be the biggest left in the area, right?

Okay - let me in on the Birk's thing, because although I have heard some reference to something going on there, I'm not sure I've ever heard the whole story....c'mon, spill it!
Old 17 January 2006, 04:24 AM   #7
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

I'm not positive, but Birks in Vancouver went through a financial re-organization. Not quite a bankruptcy, but enought that Rolex did not want to be involved with them anymore.
Old 17 January 2006, 04:27 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Here's a rather interesting story:

We have 2 ADs in Auckland for Rolex - Mansor's Jewellers and About Time Ltd.

Whereas, Mansor's is allowed to stock Omega along with Rolex, Panerai and mostly all the high-end Swiss brands, About Time Ltd. were clearly told by Rolex that if they stocked Omega, then they would have to give up Rolex. So naturally, they opted out of Omega and are still AD for Rolex and a few other high-end watches. They are relatively small compared with Mansor's, but they are nice people too. Their inventory is also very small, but they can still get you any model you like from just across the Tasman.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2006, 04:42 AM   #9
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
John - I heard about this a long time ago. I can say for sure that when I was kicking around all the stores last summer and fall, La Swiss was not carrying any new Rolex, but did have a couple in the Eaton's Center store in the pre-owned case.

I guess Damiani's and RDV would be the biggest left in the area, right?

Okay - let me in on the Birk's thing, because although I have heard some reference to something going on there, I'm not sure I've ever heard the whole story....c'mon, spill it!

Birks for years and years was the main AD for Rolex in Canada, coast to coast. About 15 or 20 years ago, Birks head office decided to have a sale on all watches... I mean ALL watches, including Rolex. The sale was unauthorized, because well all know Rolex Canada (owned by Montres Rolex) doesn't have sales.

Rolex Canada heard about the sale (kinda hard not to when it's advertised in all the big dailies) and were so insensed by the gall Birks would have to have a sale on products Birks has paid cash for and are their property and should have every right to sell them at whatever they need to, to move the units... Rolex pulled their distribution rights and moved them to La Swiss and others.

While Damiani's and RDV are big ADs, there are a number of other independent jewellers, particularly in the Yorkville area, who are also ADs. But with no La Swiss, and no chance of going back to Birks, it makes me wonder who, if anyone, will pick up the slack. People's? HA!

Here in Ottawa we have two Jubilee Jewellers stores (Rideau Centre and Bayshore Mall) who are ADs and Howard Jewellers on Sparks St. Slim pickins for a national capital, if you ask me.
Old 17 January 2006, 05:53 AM   #10
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Damianis, RDV and Humbertown are the only ADs left in the GTA, however there are talks in the works that Birks wants another shot at being a Rolex AD again.

Of the existing ADs right now Damianis gets my vote and my money these days simply because its family owned and run plus the owners and staff are all watch buffs that know their stuff and dont mind spending hours with me and my friends just talking about watches and let me try on every last piece they have in stock.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2006, 06:00 AM   #11
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF
Damianis, RDV and Humbertown are the only ADs left in the GTA, however there are talks in the works that Birks wants another shot at being a Rolex AD again.

Of the existing ADs right now Damianis gets my vote and my money these days simply because its family owned and run plus the owners and staff are all watch buffs that know their stuff and dont mind spending hours with me and my friends just talking about watches and let me try on every last piece they have in stock.
That's as good a reason as any to keep them as your AD Roger.
Old 17 January 2006, 06:48 AM   #12
Atomic

Quote:
Roger, unless I'm mistaken, there is at least one, and likely two very small jewellry shops in Yorkville who have AD status. One is on Bloor, west of the big Nike store, the other on Yorkville Ave (but I can't remember where, it's been a long time).

There's also a shop on Bloor just west of RDV that is an AD for Tudor, but NOT Rolex, interestingly.
Old 17 January 2006, 06:55 AM   #13
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Roger, unless I'm mistaken, there is at least one, and likely two very small jewellry shops in Yorkville who have AD status. One is on Bloor, west of the big Nike store, the other on Yorkville Ave (but I can't remember where, it's been a long time).

There's also a shop on Bloor just west of RDV that is an AD for Tudor, but NOT Rolex, interestingly.

Doh, I forgot to mention La Difference, which is next to RDV...pretty much. The others are grey market, however one grey market dealer has great deals on all the big names that I trust completely. He also has a restaurant near the Exhibition place that I go to.

Yes, but thats it as far as ADs go for the GTA. It sucks though, I miss browsing at the bigger malls in the area. Although I make it a point NEVER to buy high end items in a mall, browsing is fun though.
Old 17 January 2006, 07:04 AM   #14
Atomic

Quote:
Doh, I forgot to mention La Difference, which is next to RDV...pretty much. The others are grey market, however one grey market dealer has great deals on all the big names that I trust completely. He also has a restaurant near the Exhibition place that I go to.

Yes, but thats it as far as ADs go for the GTA. It sucks though, I miss browsing at the bigger malls in the area. Although I make it a point NEVER to buy high end items in a mall, browsing is fun though.
There's a gray dealer on Church (in the guise of a pawn shop) and they get on average one SS Daytona a month. When I was last there (about a year ago) they had a used black dial Zenith powered one, and a BNIB white dial. Of course, they were $3000 over list (the used was 'only' $2500 over).

And of course Van Rijk's on Eglinton for previously enjoyed watches of all brands!
Old 17 January 2006, 07:59 AM   #15
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's a gray dealer on Church (in the guise of a pawn shop) and they get on average one SS Daytona a month. When I was last there (about a year ago) they had a used black dial Zenith powered one, and a BNIB white dial. Of course, they were $3000 over list (the used was 'only' $2500 over).

And of course Van Rijk's on Eglinton for previously enjoyed watches of all brands!

Dont get me started on Van Rijk and their I hate Chinks policy I swear these ppl only love white ppl and thats it! My indian friend had a similar rude experience as mine. Latest one is: My cell phone rings and I answer the woman blatantly accuses me of setting them up for a robbery. Someone non-asian was on his phone in the store. Just a rude bunch of A**holes!!! Thats just one of my experiences there, had another one in the past and thought they were different now...WRONG

I make it a point at our WIS meets here to make sure everybody knows what kind of ppl work there.

Frig, now I got started on them.

If you are a visible minority and they are serving you and a white person comes in, they will grab out of your hands what you were looking at and put it away to serve the white person. If you are a visible minority and want to see something expensive GOOD LUCK, even if you have a rose gold VC on your wrist. They'll tell you its not for you. Think Julia Roberts in Pretty Women.

Sorry guys I dont usually like to trah talk ppl but racism doesnt sit very well with me, let alone general rude behaviour.
Old 17 January 2006, 08:35 AM   #16
----

Quote:
Dont get me started on Van Rijk and their I hate Chinks policy I swear these ppl only love white ppl and thats it! My indian friend had a similar rude experience as mine. Latest one is: My cell phone rings and I answer the woman blatantly accuses me of setting them up for a robbery. Someone non-asian was on his phone in the store. Just a rude bunch of A**holes!!! Thats just one of my experiences there, had another one in the past and thought they were different now...WRONG

I make it a point at our WIS meets here to make sure everybody knows what kind of ppl work there.

Frig, now I got started on them.

If you are a visible minority and they are serving you and a white person comes in, they will grab out of your hands what you were looking at and put it away to serve the white person. If you are a visible minority and want to see something expensive GOOD LUCK, even if you have a rose gold VC on your wrist. They'll tell you its not for you. Think Julia Roberts in Pretty Women.

Sorry guys I dont usually like to trah talk ppl but racism doesnt sit very well with me, let alone general rude behaviour.
Roger - sorry to hear of the poor treatment you received there. I have not witnessed anything of the level you speak of - I have been in there when visible minorities were present and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. I was simply under the impression they treated everyone like dirt, but maybe some people get more crap than others.

I have called on the phone and asked about a specific watch brand, only to have my pronounciation of the brand name corrected in mid-sentence by the person on the phone - quite rude to cut me off. By the way they were not really pronouncing it correctly by any source I've come across - not sure if there really is a "right" way in this case but they certainly thought so. In another case I expressed interest in a watch on my last visit there, and was told someone was making payments on it, but had not made one in several months. They took my name and number, and told me they would verify if that person still wanted the watch, and then would let me know - they never contacted me. They were also supposed to set-up a time in that same return call when I could bring a watch in to review a possible trade, but no call.

I know John will likely chime in on this one - he has suggested to me that you deal with Alex directly, and stay away from the women in there - I would agree with that, but mostly go in there just to look as they have rubbed me the wrong way more than once......it was the only place I've been to where I could handle a Lange 1 in person - love the watch but their asking price is over the top I'm afraid.

I think because they have been robbed they may be sensitive to that issue, but that in no way justifies your treatment there. The bottom line is that even from an economic point of view, they offer little on watches you want to sell, and ask top dollar for watches you want to buy, so as yet I have no real desire to deal with them. I think the only way you could begin to get a decent deal there is on a trade.
Old 17 January 2006, 09:45 AM   #17
Air King Date

Le Swiss?
Do they still sell chicken? Oh, sorry that's Le Swiss (Chalet).

Seriously, Van Rijk has treated some people I know very well. Guess it is a crap shoot, but they should and must treat everyone as being the reason for why they are in business!

Hard to believe that when you go into to a place with thoughts of dumping a few grand into their till (and not taking it out like the robbery that happened there) people will treat you like a pariah, a leper, or worse yet and horror of horrors a TURF member!

Last edited by Air King Date; 17 January 2006 at 09:46 AM..
Air King Date is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2006, 09:54 PM   #18
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air King Date
people will treat you like a pariah, a leper, or worse yet and horror of horrors a TURF member!
LOL!! Good one!
Old 17 January 2006, 11:54 PM   #19
Atomic

Roger, like Al, I'm sorry you've had a bad experience there. Personally I have a decent relationship with Pina (the aggressive hottie there) and a good one with Alex Van Rijk. I guess you could boil down the behavior to him being DUTCH.

Seriously, they have been robbed a few times, so I can understand their jumpiness, but at the same time, i've been in there when non-whites have been in and not noticed any difference in behavior. Hell, they let Finwhiz fondle that same Lange 1 that Al mentioned... so....

But as Al said, they offer no help when you're looking to sell or trade, and ask top dollar for used merchandise. I was in there a couple of years back and I asked Pina what kind of trade in value I could get on a D-series Panerai 112 (they were asking $3400) and she offered me $2800 on the ExpII, less than a year after I bought it from THEM for $5,000 plus tax!!! Bastids!

At the same time, when I was looking for my Rolex before I bought, I was in La Swiss (chalet, good one Mike) in Scarboro Town Center and was trying to wiggle a discount and was told no way by the Chinese sales peopel. A few weeks later I was in there again and overheard a sale to a Chinese guy and they offered him 15% off (the taxes) without him asking for a discount.

Kevin Lee (from TURF, aka Kevlar) said it's common for the asian sales reps to offer discounts only to asian customers. So this racism does go both ways.

One thing is certain, I won't ever buy from Van Rijks again. Not after they insulted me with that offer on my watch. Hell, I was in there last winter and I asked about selling my ExpII and they offered me $2400... when there was a black dial ExpII K series in their case, with a big dent in the case, and they were askign $5500, no discounts. They can kiss my ar$e.

But if you want a used Rolex in Toronto and a guarantee it real, sadly they have the market cornered.

Last edited by Atomic; 17 January 2006 at 11:55 PM..
Old 18 January 2006, 04:04 AM   #20
RogerF
"TRF" Member

I would rather go to Gabors (the church street pawn shop like place) their rolexes are real and they arr all collectors themselves. Almost bought a Tudor day-date from them, but it was sols when I went back :(

as for swiss chalet LOL I know those chinese guys there ARE racist, they did the same thing to my friend but treated me nicely. I wouldnt buy from them for the same reason as I dont stand for any kind of racism.
Old 18 January 2006, 04:50 AM   #21
Atomic

Quote:
I would rather go to Gabors (the church street pawn shop like place) their rolexes are real and they arr all collectors themselves. Almost bought a Tudor day-date from them, but it was sols when I went back :(

as for swiss chalet LOL I know those chinese guys there ARE racist, they did the same thing to my friend but treated me nicely. I wouldnt buy from them for the same reason as I dont stand for any kind of racism.
Gabors... that's the place I was thinking of. You're 100% right. They're also a Zeno-Basil AD now, too.
Old 18 January 2006, 07:23 AM   #22
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Would it be worth it at all to head down to Bellingham? Bellis Fair?
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2006, 07:28 AM   #23
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Mr K.
I tried Bellis Fair, NO AD dealers there anymore.
Sounds like your near Vancouver. Try Montecristos ( either downtown or Oak Ridge)

Member # 293