The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 April 2020, 11:18 PM   #61
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
I think the DD40 has perfect proportions. Looks great on any gender I have seen it on.

Just my 2 cents.
Bit of a foolish comment when you read it back. How can it not look too small on a man or too big on a woman. PS - I’d also argue that your watch in your pic is too big for your wrist - but that’s just my opinion. In fact, most posts I see on here show me people wearing a watch that is too big for them.
Old 23 April 2020, 11:18 PM   #62
whitelightning
"TRF" Member

I belong to a number of forums across a spectrum of topics and I don't believe any of them get as personal as this one. When the OP expresses his opinion that's just what it is, his opinion. I just can't understand why the attacts get so personal. We are all entitled to our opinions and whether you agree with mine or not, we should be able to express that opinion without being attacked on a personal level. To suggest that someone should not be on this forum because you disagree with their opinion is beyond comprehension. If we all felt like that, there probably would only be 10 members left here. I'll probably be attacked for this but it is my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Hang in there OP, I happen to agree with you that some of these watches look like a Big Ben alarm clock strapped to your wrist. And others look lost on a wrist.
Old 23 April 2020, 11:27 PM   #63
rolexkidd
"TRF" Member

disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
I hate polished watches, too. Does it mean I’m “jealous?”
No, it just means all of your taste is in your mouth.......
I swear this place is becoming so negative and full of ill willed comments. IT didn't used to be this way. And by the way your OP is a matter of perception that I happen to completely disagree with.
Old 23 April 2020, 11:36 PM   #64
FTX I
"TRF" Member

This guy won't be missed. Thanks Mods.
Old 23 April 2020, 11:36 PM   #65
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightning View Post
I belong to a number of forums across a spectrum of topics and I don't believe any of them get as personal as this one. When the OP expresses his opinion that's just what it is, his opinion. I just can't understand why the attacts get so personal. We are all entitled to our opinions and whether you agree with mine or not, we should be able to express that opinion without being attacked on a personal level. To suggest that someone should not be on this forum because you disagree with their opinion is beyond comprehension. If we all felt like that, there probably would only be 10 members left here. I'll probably be attacked for this but it is my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Hang in there OP, I happen to agree with you that some of these watches look like a Big Ben alarm clock strapped to your wrist. And others look lost on a wrist.
This isn't really true. They vast majority of people on here are able to express opinions without coming off as belligerent trolls. There are a few guys on here who seem to lack basic decorum. Nothing wrong with snarky comments here and there, but starting a troll thread to insult a large amount of people with no original thought or underlying argument is a different matter.

This isn't the Yahoo comments section, and there's plenty of places I can go to get that level of discourse. What I appreciate about TRF is that members seem to hold themselves to a higher standard here.

Edit: looks like OP didn't hang in there very well, as he's since been banned
Old 23 April 2020, 11:38 PM   #66
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
I don’t feel 36mm belongs on a guy. Just my 0.02. If I saw a guy with a 36mm DD, I’d think they just didn’t want to pay the money to get a normal sized one. That’s fine...but counter productive when buying a model like the DD.
Is this guy for real? How clueless and ignorant can you be?

The DD has always been 36mm. The DD40 is a recent/new model.
Old 24 April 2020, 12:05 AM   #67
danny1305
"TRF" Member

The DD40 has perfect proportions for today’s age. As with all successful businesses, Rolex adjusts and evolves for modern times. Slightly larger watches are much more normal and accepted today than 50-60 years ago. And even if it wasn’t, it’s the buyers opinion that matters. Who are you to tell them otherwise? This thread was made in poor taste by the OP
Old 24 April 2020, 12:12 AM   #68
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
The 41mm DD was shocking at first glance. The bezel is massive and upper links look elongated. The 40mm is still in that camp, looks a tad better. The 36MM is hands down the best looking DD. But everyone wants a big watch so here ya go LOL big ol honkin watches.
Old 24 April 2020, 12:15 AM   #69
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
I guess I should have consulted the OP before I bought mine. Darn, oh well. You live and you learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks perfect! Beautiful DD!
Old 24 April 2020, 12:22 AM   #70
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don’t feel 36mm belongs on a guy. Just my 0.02. If I saw a guy with a 36mm DD, I’d think they just didn’t want to pay the money to get a normal sized one. That’s fine...but counter productive when buying a model like the DD.
so you assume every dd36 is a 5 digit then? because even a preowned 6 digit goes for at least 20k if you want a mint example without polishing and the upgraded clasp
Old 24 April 2020, 12:26 AM   #71
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Glad this guy got banned, a useless member of the community, what a miserable prat.

I guess he'll have to find someone else to listen to his "opinions".
Old 24 April 2020, 12:34 AM   #72
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Pictures you take from up close don't show how you actually wear the watch and how it fits.

I can't find the original post anymore and I'm no photographer so I don't know the specifics, but it's about the angle/camera/... whatever you use.

The same goes with pictures of your face, using the correct lens does a lot.

By Svorkoetter
These photos show the effect pretty well. You don’t get a realistic representation when the camera is too close because of the angle to the lens and what it can pick up. When you take a photo in a mirror from ~3 feet it looks completely different.

十人十色
Old 24 April 2020, 12:42 AM   #73
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So respectfully critiquing and having a discerning eye are not acceptable actions on this forum?
But it's not respectful, and you know it, ****

"Discerning" is completely subjective, and you really ought not to say it about yourself.

Old 24 April 2020, 12:47 AM   #74
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
This isn't really true. They vast majority of people on here are able to express opinions without coming off as belligerent trolls. There are a few guys on here who seem to lack basic decorum. Nothing wrong with snarky comments here and there, but starting a troll thread to insult a large amount of people with no original thought or underlying argument is a different matter.

This isn't the Yahoo comments section, and there's plenty of places I can go to get that level of discourse. What I appreciate about TRF is that members seem to hold themselves to a higher standard here.

Edit: looks like OP didn't hang in there very well, as he's since been banned
Perfectly sums it up.
Old 24 April 2020, 12:53 AM   #75
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree, if you happen to have the wrists of a 12 year girl, 40mm is too big.

If you happen to have a man’s normal size wrist, 40 is considered small to most. I’ve had 49mm Breitlings (my wrists are like 7 inches) that didn’t even look big because I have flatter wrists and the lugs curve on most Breitlings so it wears much smaller.

40mm never has looked remotely big. I think the Day Dates look much smaller than GMTs too.
You're obviously a 'real man', then - congrats .
And, we are not worthy.
Old 24 April 2020, 12:54 AM   #76
Sansom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Is it too big..
I think it has more to do with your shoulders...
If you stand tall and shoulders look big... then you can wear any size.

If you slump over and look weak then 40 is too big..

shoulders and personality - is the trick
Old 24 April 2020, 12:58 AM   #77
ppbskis
"TRF" Member

I actually had to measure my wrist after reading this. Guess i have an 8” wrist.

Old 24 April 2020, 01:03 AM   #78
rolexkidd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansom View Post
Is it too big..
I think it has more to do with your shoulders...
If you stand tall and shoulders look big... then you can wear any size.

If you slump over and look weak then 40 is too big..

shoulders and personality - is the trick
This is more inline with what I was thinking. To me it is not as much about wrist size as it is about the overall size of the person and the way they carry themselves.
Old 24 April 2020, 01:05 AM   #79
spersky
"TRF" Member

You guys are so easily baited my MEGA TROLL posts. The OP posted this likely because of boredom in quarantine and decided to post a ridiculous TROLL post to get massive response.
Old 24 April 2020, 01:14 AM   #80
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Quote:
I respect your opinion. However, my 36mm DateJust gets more wrist time, on my 7 1/2 inch wrist, than my SS Submariner Date. I rotate the DJ with my 39mm OP White dial. 36mm is a classic size for a dress/casual watch. What’s a normal size these days? Rolex actually discontinued the DJ11 because it didn’t sell well. The proportions didn’t seem right. It was chunky, and too big. They scaled it down. The big watch trend has slowly gone away. You see Rolex put out a new line in 2019 of the 36mm DateJust. One could argue that’s the most timeless, and classic model in the Rolex line. I prefer 36mm-40mm watches. However, if someone prefers wearing a big watch, good for them.
Old 24 April 2020, 01:17 AM   #81
Bigboss473
"TRF" Member

I can’t even try on 36mm anymore far too small after wearing 41mm
Old 24 April 2020, 01:34 AM   #82
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboss473 View Post
I can’t even try on 36mm anymore far too small after wearing 41mm
Wear a 36mm DateJust, or OP, for a week or so. You will get use to it. Trust me, you will appreciate it. It’s very comfortable. I actually wear mine more, than my SS Submariner. It’s a classic piece.
Old 24 April 2020, 01:37 AM   #83
ngypheap
"TRF" Member

No matter is too big or small, but our heart is. Follow ur heart and choose the one u like,
I have small wrist, I knew DD36mm would fit me perfectly. But I decided to go with DD40mm without regret, why? Bcuz I follow my heart, I like and love it.

Old 24 April 2020, 01:38 AM   #84
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is a more stupid comment than the OP's post. Truly, utterly stupid. And I try to refrain from making negative comments, but I couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one.
Old 24 April 2020, 01:40 AM   #85
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngypheap View Post
No matter is too big or small, but our heart is. Follow ur heart and choose the one u like,
I have small wrist, I knew DD36mm would fit me perfectly. But I decided to go with DD40mm without regret, why? Bcuz I follow my heart, I like and love it.

Looks great!
Old 24 April 2020, 02:00 AM   #86
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngypheap View Post

Nice, 36mm-40mm is the ideal, size for my 7 1/2 inch wrist.
Old 24 April 2020, 02:12 AM   #87
qikbert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Taken from the other thread: this is a great example of something that looks looks awkward and huge.
I'm sorry, what?

That looks perfectly proportioned to me. I think it's a matter of taste. People like what they like. Over the past 10-15 years, we've seen a trend towards larger watch sizes being prevalent. And I like it.

We've gotten to the point where some would say that a 36mm watch looks too small on a typical man's wrist. There are many factors involved, including how big a watch "wears" despite it's lug-to-lug dimensions.
Old 24 April 2020, 02:13 AM   #88
Albatross
"TRF" Member

Quote:

With all due respect, Jack Nicklaus is not a small man. He wore the 36mm Day Date with absolutely no issues as seen here. Looks perfect on him. And even though I understand that he got this particular watch as a gift from Rolex, the man is a multi-millionaire and I’m pretty sure that he didn’t wear a 36 because he didn’t want to pay the money to buy a 40 as you state. Kind of a ridiculous opinion but you’re entitled to it.

Old 24 April 2020, 02:31 AM   #89
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

Utter nonsense. If the lugs are within the boundaries of the wrist then it isn’t too big.
Old 24 April 2020, 02:34 AM   #90
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
it has to do with how the wrist shots are taken. for close ups, most watches will look big on wrist.

Closed Thread