The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2024, 06:55 AM   #1
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

GADA Watch Comparison (Long Post): Pelagos FXD (Black) versus Submariner 116610 LN

This is my 4000th forum post (thanks to all forum members for keeping this forum so interesting!!). Consequently, I decided to make it a long, but hopefully useful, post rather than the inane trite I usually impose on the forum…

For those yet unaware (as was I until recently): GADA = Go Anywhere Do Anything

I received a Tudor Pelagos FXD for Christmas from my wonderful wife. It is the newest version with the Black dial and elapsed time bezel. Given that I have the super case Submariner 116610, I was not really in the market for another diver until I saw one in person.

IMG_0445.jpeg

I don't consider water resistance ratings, as I will never intentionally go more than 10 feet under water. And, if I do, my wife threw me overboard.

Overall Design

As much as I love the design of every series of the Submariner, I have come to wonder whether the six digit series are pushing too far to the fancy side at times. There are situations when this may not be desired, such as when a “gentleman” outside of a train station took notice of my Submariner and actively started grasping for my arm.

The FXD makes no pretense of fanciness. The chamfered edges of the FXD are similar to those of a titanium Omega Seamaster that I wore for years whose eased edges deflected the impacts that tend to leave dings and dents along the side edges of my Submariner. The lack of a bracelet is actually more of a benefit than I anticipated as it allows for an even more comfortable fit than the Glidelock clasp of the Sub.

While the Submariner will always be my call for dressier events, the FXD perfectly fits my current, post-retirement need for a more tool-oriented, and under the radar, watch for most daily activities such as rock scrambling, working in the shop, travel and other outdoor adventures.

Hands, Dials and Bezel:

I like both Mercedes and Snowflake hands equally. However, I really do prefer the matte dial on the FXD.

The 120 click bezel of the Submariner is like closing the door of a Mercedes whereas the 60 click engagement on the Tudor is like closing the door on an older Landcruiser. Both are satisfying, but in a vastly different way. The FXD bezel, with its more prominent knurled edges, is much easier to grasp and turn, especially with gloved or wet hands. And I really dig the fully-lumed bezel indices of the FXD.

IMG_3003.jpeg

Strap or Bracelet???

I simply love the Rolex Glidelock clasp and bracelet. In fact, I have decided against many watches (including, stupidly, a BLRO) because their bracelets cannot hold a candle to the Glidelock. Yet there are times, such as when running or xc skiing that I leave the Submariner at home as even a slight degree of play can be annoying.

The strap options for the FXD give it a clear advantage in these rougher activities. There are dozens of options for the FXD - including models from Crown & Buckle, Watchbandit and Erika’s Originals.

I have had the chance to try several of these straps, including the Tudor nylon and rubber straps that came with the watch. The clear winner for me was the Erika’s Originals single pass strap specifically made for the FXD. This company offers dozens of color options and their bead blasted hardware perfectly matches the FXD’s titanium case. The sliding buckle design allows infinite adjustment that even surpasses the comfort of glidelock clasp of the Submariner band.

IMG_0441.jpeg

Here are the other straps I have purchased from top to bottom:

1. WatchBandit Premium Perlon – great fabric but the strap is too thin, allowing the risk of the watch head easily sliding off the strap when off the wrist.
2. Crown & Buckle Bond – Wonderful fabric
3. Crown & Buckle Chevron- Ditto

IMG_3016.jpeg

Case Finishing:

The FXD is very well finished with a clear emphasis on function over form.
The Submariner obviously finished to a finer degree but, for me, the high polish finish and sharp lug edges tend to show rough wear much more. I would actually prefer for Rolex to chamfer the case edges of the Submariner and brush the case sides as well.

Movement Quality and accuracy:

I have found the 3135 in my Sub to maintain +2 to +6 reliably over the years I have owned it. Since it’s 10 year service, it has maintained +3 for months.

The FXD MT 5602 is even MORE accurate so far, maintaining +1 (compared with Iphone) since I have had it. Happily, I am one of those people who have no complaints with Tudor swapping out the movement with a new or refurbished 5602 at service as I really do not have a sentimental attachment to a movement. Especially if the practice can cut my service wait in half.

Titanium versus Steel:

I am actually glad to have a titanium watch back in rotation as I love the lighter weight of this material in a watch. I have longed dreamt of a ti Submariner and was overjoyed to see the YM 42 announced. It is a simply stunning watch (Yes, I have seen it in person and tried it on). Yet, I really have other things to spend $14k on, even if I could buy one tomorrow. Bike addiction rears its ugly head from time to time.

The lighter weight is not for everyone and I can see how some may connote this with a feeling of cheapness. However, for my active lifestyle, titanium cannot be beat as the watch simply disappears on my wrist – something the Submariner never managed. I have already taken the FXD swimming, xc skiing and running and never once noticed it was there whereas I would leave the Sub at home for these types of activities as I always felt the weight swinging on my arm.

Conclusion:

After one month of near constant wear, I am shocked to find myself reaching for the FXD over the Sub nearly every morning. It has become my GADA watch. Let’s see if this continues to hold true or whether this is simply a newness attraction.

This is surprising as I only intended it to complement the Submariner in those situations where I needed a lighter watch or one I did not have to worry about beating up. The FXD is simply a better fit for my current 99% casual, post-retirement lifestyle. If I was still employed in a professional setting, the Submariner would win and remain my GADA choice.

With this realization, there is no way I would sell the Submariner, however, as I fully intend to continue wearing it as a nicer occasion watch for dinners out with the wife and formal events as they arise.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:06 AM   #2
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

I am doing the exact same thing with my Pelagos 39. I still love my Sub, but it seems more like jewelry to me now and I wear it in dressier situations. Work, hunting, fishing, swimming, pickleball, etc. is the tudor.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:24 AM   #3
Cassian739
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Great post and well thought out. I agree, love my Sub, but too fancy for many daily activities. My GADA watches are Exp II Polar, Omega SMP Diver 300M on rubber strap, G-Shock multiband, Apple Watch. I've been seriously considering adding a Pelagos 39.
Cassian739 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:26 AM   #4
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Great post, great watch, great wife!!

Wear it in good health.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:41 AM   #5
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Even though female, I do sometimes wear NATO type straps, in the Summer, on my many divers. However, the idea of fixed lugs bugs me, so I’d never buy that watch. Having said that, I can see why some of you guys are drawn to it. It’s a true tool watch. Tudor makes a great watch, at an almost universally affordable price point. Glad you are enjoying it, but I much prefer a Sub. I do prefer the 12 series over the 11 series, though.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:47 AM   #6
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I just picked up a Blue Pelagos 42 and couldn’t be happier.

Fit well in the collection.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:48 AM   #7
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Even though female, I do sometimes wear NATO type straps, in the Summer, on my many divers. However, the idea of fixed lugs bugs me, so I’d never buy that watch. Having said that, I can see why some of you guys are drawn to it. It’s a true tool watch. Tudor makes a great watch, at an almost universally affordable price point. Glad you are enjoying it, but I much prefer a Sub. I do prefer the 12 series over the 11 series, though.

Kat

Just get the regular with a bracelet and strap.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 08:48 AM   #8
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Very good write up and perspective on these references. It's nice to occasionally read something from someone not trying to sell me something.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:31 AM   #9
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
GADA Watch Comparison (Long Post): Pelagos FXD (Black) versus Submariner 116610 LN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
Just get the regular with a bracelet and strap.

I do like the Pelagos, but My BB58 is a good one, for me. I just leave that on its bracelet:

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 12:56 PM   #10
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
I am doing the exact same thing with my Pelagos 39. I still love my Sub, but it seems more like jewelry to me now and I wear it in
I almost bought the P39 instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassian739 View Post
Great post and well thought out. I agree, love my Sub, but too fancy for many daily activities..
I have sustained some serious dings on my Sub to which my wife has always asked “why the heck did you wear a $10k watch to do that?”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
I just picked up a Blue Pelagos 42 and couldn’t be happier. .
I almost bought one of those when I was still working but my shirt cuffs would not fit over it. Still love that reference and the clasp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Very good write up and perspective on these references. It's nice to occasionally read something from someone not trying to sell me something.
Thanks.

Quote:
I do like the Pelagos, but My BB58 is a good one, for me. I just leave that on its bracelet.
The BB58 sure fills the same niche. My neighbor wears his on a NATO and it looks great.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 24 January 2024, 01:44 PM   #11
sgerst1601
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 1600; Batgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
I am doing the exact same thing with my Pelagos 39. I still love my Sub, but it seems more like jewelry to me now and I wear it in dressier situations. Work, hunting, fishing, swimming, pickleball, etc. is the tudor.
Ditto—Pelagos 39 has displaced my Batgirl (although I still absolutely love the BLNR, just don’t love the more blingy finishing all the time), hard not to throw on the Tudor every day. Massive fan of the P39’s all-brushed look, wish Rolex did the same. The titanium is perfect for everything and every day—I had been concerned I wouldn’t like the weight, but the material is really awesome. The dark color from grade 2 ti is super cool, and the little vintage nods (red text, pointed crown guards, proportions) are great. Coming from the Jubilee, T-Fit and on-the-fly micro-adjust is ridiculously nice as well. Also like that Tudor itself is under the radar with 98% of people… quality like it’s from The Crown, but none of the bullshit.
DD91A270-B3D4-47DD-8A66-D0C909C4184F (1).jpeg

30C7466E-1301-4840-B3BB-7C36E2381507.jpeg

C37E0F51-8012-4B1D-A628-4DA5BE9DFD84 (1).jpeg

IMG_8460.jpeg
sgerst1601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 12:51 AM   #12
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgerst1601 View Post
Ditto—Pelagos 39 has displaced my Batgirl (although I still absolutely love the BLNR, just don’t love the more blingy finishing all the time), hard not to throw on the Tudor every day. Massive fan of the P39’s all-brushed look, wish Rolex did the same. The titanium is perfect for everything and every day—I had been concerned I wouldn’t like the weight, but the material is really awesome. The dark color from grade 2 ti is super cool, and the little vintage nods (red text, pointed crown guards, proportions) are great. Coming from the Jubilee, T-Fit and on-the-fly micro-adjust is ridiculously nice as well. Also like that Tudor itself is under the radar with 98% of people… quality like it’s from The Crown, but none of the bullshit.
Attachment 1415228

Attachment 1415229

Attachment 1415230

Attachment 1415231
You have a great collection!!!

My buddy has a P39 that he was not really gelling with as he already had a BLRO, Daytona and BB58. He was preparing to sell, and I was considering picking it up, until he put his on a NATO. Now he won‘t take the dang thing off!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 25 January 2024, 12:56 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
What a fantastic review and perspective, I really enjoyed reading this.

I do agree with you, sometimes it’s just nice to throw a watch on the wrist and not have a care in the world
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 01:04 AM   #14
Schmed
"TRF" Member

You hit the nail on the head...... Sub=Mercedes, FXD=Landcruiser

I think I'll take that a step further:

Sub=Mercedes GLE
SeaDweller=G-Wagon
FXD=Land Cruiser
Pelagos=Lexus LX570
Pelagos 39=Lexus GX460

Edit to add: just bought an FXD on Friday so I don't wear my SD4K when working at customer sites or places wear a Sub/SD is too blingy.
Schmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 01:09 AM   #15
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I'm really thinking about the Pelagos as my BB58 replacement. I think after some time I got a bit tired of the gilt dial. The monochromatic finish of the 39 would be a great pick up and I've heard the t-fit is amazing.
Nads786 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 02:13 AM   #16
Marast-66
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Kat

Spot on. Used to have last 3 gen. Of subs. The last iteration is just perfect. Not interested for Tudor, maybe black bay 54 for my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marast-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 02:29 AM   #17
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
I like this a lot.

Congrats OP. The FXD is awesome, so are the fixed springbars. Enjoy it in the best of health for years to come.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 02:39 AM   #18
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
congrats on 4000 and thanks for the write up.

I've owned so many watches over the years and my FXD gets more wrist time than all of them. It's truly the easiest wearing watch I've ever owned. Perhaps it's a lifestyle thing. Perhaps if I worked an office job, 9-5 or something similar it'd be different, but my lifestyle is all over the place and I also need the GADA watch.

Congrats on the FXD.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 02:57 AM   #19
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Great GADA comparison. Thanks for posting. Congratulations on a beautiful Pelagos.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 03:24 AM   #20
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post

I think I'll take that a step further:

Sub=Mercedes GLE
SeaDweller=G-Wagon
FXD=Land Cruiser
Pelagos=Lexus LX570
Pelagos 39=Lexus GX460

Edit to add: just bought an FXD on Friday so I don't wear my SD4K when working at customer sites or places wear a Sub/SD is too blingy.
I agree 100%.

We are waiting on a Lexus GX550 at present. I think it would fit right between the FXD and Pelagos in your assessment.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 25 January 2024, 03:27 AM   #21
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
I'm really thinking about the Pelagos as my BB58 replacement. I think after some time I got a bit tired of the gilt dial. The monochromatic finish of the 39 would be a great pick up and I've heard the t-fit is amazing.
A friend has both and has come to prefer the P39, especially since finding a NATO strap color he loves (dark grey similar to another poster).

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 25 January 2024, 12:25 PM   #22
avusblue
"TRF" Member

This is a great topic! I own both the FXD black as well as a 124060 no-date Sub. The review comments by the original author, Jason in Denver, are right on!

The Sub earns its merit as probably the worlds best all-around, and the world's most recognized, watch, and I enjoy mine very much. Its quality is outstanding and its timekeeping performance is spot-on. It is expensive, but it does seem worth the money. However, the Sub is also very commonly seen, often worn by those who are not enthusiasts but are "flexing", and also is very frequently faked.

Meanwhile, the Pelagos FXD is just so special and unique. You'll probably never see another one in the wild, but if you do, it's gotta be on the wrist of a fellow enthusiast. The Tudor's quality, and timekeeping performance, are also outstanding. And it's less than half the price of the Sub -- while providing a more flavorful, interesting, experience.

One clarification......the FXD doesn't have fixed springbars. It has NO springbars! Including in the strap. No buckles, or points of potential failure, whatsoever. The slide-through slots on the case are innovative, functional, and exquisitely done. This makes for a really special wearing experience like nothing else I can think of. It delivers extreme comfort -- coupled with a great look. I dig it!

Cheers!

avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 12:33 PM   #23
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Great post Jason.Thanks for your input.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 04:12 PM   #24
PandaLover
"TRF" Member

I love the FXD
Great post!
PandaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 05:49 AM   #25
avusblue
"TRF" Member

A great duo!
avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote