The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 April 2024, 02:08 AM   #1
moevette
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub two-tone black
Dent in clasp of Submariner band

First, I'd like to thank this Forum for all the knowledge I've gained over the last 15 years. This is the premiere location for Rolex information.

I retired after 30 years of service and finally pulled the plug on a Rolex Sub two tone black (my 3rd Rolex). I purchased it from E-Bay after searching for about a month. I purchased a 2019 with box and all the papers from a seller called "Windy City Liquidations". They've been on E-Bay for 5+ years and have sold a couple luxury watches among artwork and collectibles. The watch was described as "mint" and I paid 13k.

I received the watch from the E Bay authenticator and recorded the opening of the package for documentation. Everything appeared to be in order, so I removed the red paper seal around the band so I can try it on. The watch band needed adjusting but when I tried the glidelock, it was stuck. Upon close examination, I discovered a small crease or dent on the side of the clasp. It's very difficult to notice, however it's a deep enough of a dent to prevent the glidelock from sliding and I don't want to force it.

I went back to the listing a reviewed the pictures on the listing. There is one picture taken straight forward where you can see something there, but I assumed it was a glare as the rest of watch and band are in beautiful condition. If there was an angled photo, the dent would be visible so it was an obvious effort to mislead. The seller described the watch as "mint" and never mentioned anything about a dented clasp or the inability of the glidelock to adjust.

I contacted the seller who said, "what did you expect, it was the cheapest Rolex on E Bay". I told him I expected the watch to be in the "mint" description as described and it certainly was not the cheapest Rolex on E Bay. I told him the listing was misleading and photo deceitful. It was also listed as "under warranty" however the Rolex warranty expired March 2024.

In further communication with seller, he was rude and insulting. He did at one point say to contact E Bay and open a case to send it back. But honestly, I don't trust this person any longer and fear sending the watch back to him as he may claim I damaged something. I love the watch otherwise. I see there are rubber wristbands on the market designed to protect watches from body sweat. I could see if wearing one would make the watch fit properly. If I were to gain weight, I'd have a problem (perhaps the Rolex will be a motivator to stay fit LOL).

Anyway, I don't have an AD in town but wondered if the dent could possibly be pushed out enough to allow the glidelock to move. What do you guys think? Return the watch and trust this seller again, keep the watch and maintain my weight or have Rolex Service look at removing the dent? (my guess is they'll want to sell me a new clasp for $1700).

I appreciate everyone here.
moevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 02:38 AM   #2
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by moevette View Post
First, I'd like to thank this Forum for all the knowledge I've gained over the last 15 years. This is the premiere location for Rolex information.

I retired after 30 years of service and finally pulled the plug on a Rolex Sub two tone black (my 3rd Rolex). I purchased it from E-Bay after searching for about a month. I purchased a 2019 with box and all the papers from a seller called "Windy City Liquidations". They've been on E-Bay for 5+ years and have sold a couple luxury watches among artwork and collectibles. The watch was described as "mint" and I paid 13k.

I received the watch from the E Bay authenticator and recorded the opening of the package for documentation. Everything appeared to be in order, so I removed the red paper seal around the band so I can try it on. The watch band needed adjusting but when I tried the glidelock, it was stuck. Upon close examination, I discovered a small crease or dent on the side of the clasp. It's very difficult to notice, however it's a deep enough of a dent to prevent the glidelock from sliding and I don't want to force it.

I went back to the listing a reviewed the pictures on the listing. There is one picture taken straight forward where you can see something there, but I assumed it was a glare as the rest of watch and band are in beautiful condition. If there was an angled photo, the dent would be visible so it was an obvious effort to mislead. The seller described the watch as "mint" and never mentioned anything about a dented clasp or the inability of the glidelock to adjust.

I contacted the seller who said, "what did you expect, it was the cheapest Rolex on E Bay". I told him I expected the watch to be in the "mint" description as described and it certainly was not the cheapest Rolex on E Bay. I told him the listing was misleading and photo deceitful. It was also listed as "under warranty" however the Rolex warranty expired March 2024.

In further communication with seller, he was rude and insulting. He did at one point say to contact E Bay and open a case to send it back. But honestly, I don't trust this person any longer and fear sending the watch back to him as he may claim I damaged something. I love the watch otherwise. I see there are rubber wristbands on the market designed to protect watches from body sweat. I could see if wearing one would make the watch fit properly. If I were to gain weight, I'd have a problem (perhaps the Rolex will be a motivator to stay fit LOL).

Anyway, I don't have an AD in town but wondered if the dent could possibly be pushed out enough to allow the glidelock to move. What do you guys think? Return the watch and trust this seller again, keep the watch and maintain my weight or have Rolex Service look at removing the dent? (my guess is they'll want to sell me a new clasp for $1700).

I appreciate everyone here.

I am surprised it passed authentication. If all else about the watch is good, keep it. But do give the seller very bad feedback. Send it to Rolliworks. It sounds like something they could sort easily. You want the watch to work as it should. It seems like you got a good deal, so worth paying to have the clasp sorted out, IMO. Good luck!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 02:42 AM   #3
moevette
"TRF" Member

thank you!
Old 11 April 2024, 02:57 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Just get a pair of plyers and bend it slightly, a picture would help to see the dent,or take it to any jewellery store that does repair work..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 03:09 AM   #5
moevette
"TRF" Member

pic

it's difficult to capture as it's such a small dent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clasp.jpg (62.4 KB, 133 views)
Old 11 April 2024, 03:13 AM   #6
moevette
"TRF" Member

pic on lisiting

from listing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg listing.jpg (63.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 11 April 2024, 03:22 AM   #7
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
from listing

I would not try to fix it myself. If you know a good local jeweler, who does repairs, see what he says. I suggested Rolliworks, because it’s exactly their specialty.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 03:38 AM   #8
moevette
"TRF" Member

Icon7

yeah, I'm not comfortable wedging something inside the clasp and trying to get enough force to bend it outward.... I waited so long for a Sub, I have to wear it awhile before I send it anywhere!
Old 11 April 2024, 07:28 AM   #9
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Holy shit that's quite bad... How in God's name does that happen on a fully milled-milled out clasp... I'd put some serious thought into having someone look the watch over more closely (movement included) to ensure other aspects haven't been "man-handled". Given how mangled that clasp is, I'd think the watch has been knocked around pretty severely.

If things are not in order (under the loupe), then I'd think about opening an eBay investigation, laying out your concerns surrounding a potential return, and whether or not any sort of escrow service can be established to ensure full return of funds. I'm not sure of eBay's finer details, but worth looking into.

If you're lucky, and it's just the clasp, Rolliworks are probably the ones you want to send to, as Kat mentioned.

Good luck. I hate disingenuous and otherwise intentionally misleading scummy dealers like that...

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 07:36 AM   #10
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
First red flag.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 08:27 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Easily fixed. Take it to any competent watchmaker for some advice and an estimate.

Enjoy your watch.
Old 12 April 2024, 01:02 AM   #12
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

For me, it makes no difference if it's an easy fix or not.
I would open a claim with ebay and return it.
I hope all of your correspondence with this guy was done through ebay. They'll see his response.

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 01:45 AM   #13
moevette
"TRF" Member

clasp

Yes, all correspondence was done through E-Bay and I contacted E-Bay with my concerns. However, the only recourse I have is to return the item. As stated previously, the watch is beautiful, works great, has all papers/box and appears unpolished. I do not trust this seller if I return the watch. I read where sellers were able to keep partial funds because they've claimed the item was damaged by the buyer. This seller concedes the watch case is dented but says the glidelock works fine. It does not budge, and I do not want to force it. I can see the seller withholding $1700 of my money saying I damaged the glidelock...

I don't want to be in a position where I'm fighting for my money and have no watch.
Old 12 April 2024, 01:51 AM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Yes, all correspondence was done through E-Bay and I contacted E-Bay with my concerns. However, the only recourse I have is to return the item. As stated previously, the watch is beautiful, works great, has all papers/box and appears unpolished. I do not trust this seller if I return the watch. I read where sellers were able to keep partial funds because they've claimed the item was damaged by the buyer. This seller concedes the watch case is dented but says the glidelock works fine. It does not budge, and I do not want to force it. I can see the seller withholding $1700 of my money saying I damaged the glidelock...

I don't want to be in a position where I'm fighting for my money and have no watch.
An excellent perspective. Good watch, good price, in your hand, minor defect. Why jump down the rabbit hole?
Old 12 April 2024, 08:42 PM   #15
londondude
"TRF" Member

Just get the clasp fixed, enjoy the watch and leave negative feedback so others will be worn about this dodgy seller.
londondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 01:28 AM   #16
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I would just take it to a good jeweler, who I think will make short work of the dent at a very low cost.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote