The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 8 January 2023, 06:40 AM   #1
messikens
"TRF" Member

I live in NYC and wondered through it many times. Honestly though with the amount of competition there MUST be good deals to be had, no?

Not saying I'd know how to spot them, but can a bajilllion of these shops just survive on the innocent tourists?
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2023, 06:46 AM   #2
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
I live in NYC and wondered through it many times. Honestly though with the amount of competition there MUST be good deals to be had, no?

Not saying I'd know how to spot them, but can a bajilllion of these shops just survive on the innocent tourists?
I don't think most of these shops sell to tourists. Many of them only deal with trade clients.

A lot of them are located in tiny offices in upper floors of obscure office buildings. Some of these dealers won't even let you visit them without you providing several references from other dealers.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2023, 06:59 AM   #3
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
I don't think most of these shops sell to tourists. Many of them only deal with trade clients.

A lot of them are located in tiny offices in upper floors of obscure office buildings. Some of these dealers won't even let you visit them without you providing several references from other dealers.
Same thing applies in downtown Los Angeles Jewelry District which has a lot of watch dealers.
Many typically are seen by appointment.
I’ve dealt with a few of them in the past to offer trade-bait for deals, or you can buy direct, or even mix and match.
Direct interaction with dealers can be better if you are informed/prepared and know how to wheel and deal, “per se”.
Old 8 January 2023, 07:29 AM   #4
newguy3912
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post

yup, I know a ton of action happens behind the scenes. I actually but my wedding ring from one of these upper floor vendors through a connection. but for the Rolex, I'd be stuck going to one of the retail stores on the ground floor..
newguy3912 is offline   Reply With Quote