The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 December 2014, 01:02 PM   #1
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Rolex Guilt?

Perhaps not relevant to some, but for those of you who have grown up lower-middle class, do you ever feel a sense of guilt displaying signs of achivevement such as a Rolex watch? I have done relatively well at a young age but still struggle with this! I feel it could be awkward visiting relatives etc with a recognizably expensive brand.

That being said, I am very excited to be in the market for a 16570 Polar...
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 01:16 PM   #2
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm765 View Post
Perhaps not relevant to some, but for those of you who have grown up lower-middle class, do you ever feel a sense of guilt displaying signs of achivevement such as a Rolex watch? I have done relatively well at a young age but still struggle with this! I feel it could be awkward visiting relatives etc with a recognizably expensive brand.

I came from nothing and I am proud of my accomplishments. Internally proud that I created my own success. I do nothing, buy nothing, or wear nothing to boost, show off, or prove anything. Only because they give me personal joy and I will never be ashamed of that. I don't display my signs of achievements I live them
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 01:20 PM   #3
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I came from nothing and I am proud of my accomplishments. Internally proud that I created my own success. I do nothing, buy nothing, or wear nothing to boost, show off, or prove anything. Only because they give me personal joy and I will never be ashamed of that. I don't display my signs of achievements I live them
Agree. Very well written.
soundserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 01:26 PM   #4
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
So well said.
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm with you Doc
Old 16 December 2014, 09:11 PM   #6
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Agree and well said Tom!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 11:59 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Absolutely right Tom... alternatively just pop over to the AP and PP forums and you'll feel positively like a humanitarian.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2014, 12:19 AM   #8
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Exactemundo, Tom.
Old 17 December 2014, 03:45 AM   #9
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Agree and well said Tom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Absolutely right Tom... alternatively just pop over to the AP and PP forums and you'll feel positively like a humanitarian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
Exactemundo, Tom.
thanks guys I appreciate that!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2014, 04:20 AM   #10
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
Quote:
X infinity. Well written, I feel the same way. Enjoy your new time piece.
DESH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2014, 10:09 AM   #11
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Tom, my friend, you quoted me earlier today and in turn, I am quoting you. Well said. Could not have said it better.
Old 17 December 2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Watch: All I can!
Quote:
THAT, Doctor, is an OUTSTANDING response. I could not have said it better myself. I share your sentiments exactly.

SS Sub 16610, 5513 meters first Sub, Tag Heuer Autavia (2003),Seiko Orange Monster, Seiko Turtle, Breitling Superocean
Abdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2014, 09:56 PM   #13
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now those are words of wisdom. Everyone feeling guilty over buying items that make them happy regardless of what they are or what they cost should take note of Tom's post.

Nobody should ever be embarrassed of personal success or any of their purchases. Anyone can be successful if they choose to and family should be happy for your success rather than make you feel uncomfortable over it. Do what makes you happy and be proud of it.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 06:35 PM   #14
AdamRobbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub W/ Dmd
Quote:
I don't display my signs of achievements I live them
Brilliantly said.
AdamRobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2014, 03:14 AM   #15
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Amen to that Tom!!! Well said!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 07:56 AM   #16
Fiddler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i came from nothing and i am proud of my accomplishments. Internally proud that i created my own success. I do nothing, buy nothing, or wear nothing to boost, show off, or prove anything. Only because they give me personal joy and i will never be ashamed of that. I don't display my signs of achievements i live them
+1
Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 01:20 PM   #17
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Your relatives should be happy for your success. If they aren't, they aren't worth your time.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 01:33 PM   #18
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Only if my wife figures it all out.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 01:47 AM   #19
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
bingo!
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2014, 06:09 PM   #20
IT Nerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me flip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
^^^^^^
IT Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2014, 11:49 PM   #21
elkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
As others have said, success and hard work are to be celebrated where I come from. That does not mean I would ever rub other people's faces in the nice things I am able to afford, that's not me either, but I'm not ashamed and don't feel the need to hide them or justify something because someone else I know has less.

I do not discuss the money I make with anyone aside from my wife, so there will always be relatives or friends or co-workers who look at my watches or my vehicle or my vacations and be resentful and wonder how I afford whatever it is they don't have or can't do-that's life. At the same time, there are other good friends of mine who do two and three times what I do when it comes to Rolex collections, nice cars, vacations, whatever. I'm happy for them, not resentful.
elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 01:42 PM   #22
snhrph
"TRF" Member

I do not feel guilty or awkward - I EARNED everything that I own, including my SUVs and my Rolexes.

I came to US in '89 with $100 in my pocket (talk about starting at the bottom of socio-economic ladder). I worked hard and I succeeded. And if I could do it, then anyone can.

Guilty - NO. Proud - YES.
snhrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 01:44 PM   #23
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
No guilt here. I paid for everything myself.

Quote:
Btw, excellent choice on that 16570 Polar.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 01:58 PM   #24
Rolexbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:

Wow You nailed it for me. I know exactly how you feel. I find myself hiding luxuries in a time where so many have so little. Despite claiming my piece of the pie. That is why I am resigned to Brietling shopping. It does not have the in your face prestige as a Rolex. But will make me feel as good about having a quality piece.

It's not a bad thing to stay under the pretentious wire in some circles. I still enjoy the company of those who have not achieved what we have as they are long time friends. They see my 08 Vette and Harley so there's that but $33K for a car or $15K for a bike vs $8K for a...... watch.......
Rolexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 02:03 PM   #25
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
A good question that will probably get many rather defensive answers. I do feel a bit guilty sometimes, or at least self indulgent, especially if I find myself putting up photos here for no practical reason. I earned all my watches, but I guess one person's sharing of achievement is another person's unnecessary display of wealth. Just my perspective.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 03:27 PM   #26
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
A good question that will probably get many rather defensive answers. I do feel a bit guilty sometimes, or at least self indulgent, especially if I find myself putting up photos here for no practical reason. I earned all my watches, but I guess one person's sharing of achievement is another person's unnecessary display of wealth. Just my perspective.
I would have to agree with you and the OP on this. I feel this way at times. However, outside my watch fetish, I live a pretty practical lifestyle and my collection shows it... For as much as a Rolex collection can be practical I guess. Like most here, I've earned what I have and paid a personal price for what I do. As long as people don't let their possessions define them, they should be good to go.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 03:44 PM   #27
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

It's partly in how you act. If you aren't rubbing it in people's faces and acting poorly, it shouldn't matter. "Pass the grey Poupon....OH YEAH, LOOK AT MY ROLEX"

I can see where you are coming from. When in Cambodia, I felt bad walking around with a $5,000 camera because the people I was shooting were lucky to make $500 in 6 months of hard work. But in the end, I acted properly, treated people with respect and kindness, so there was never an issue. In fact, the people were ecstatic to get their picture taken, and they were some of the happiest people I have ever met in my life. So maybe those that do notice your Rolex will have the "that's a cool watch" attitude, other than something negative.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 04:08 PM   #28
Ritch99
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD and others
We Earned it...

I came to this country in 93. I had 174 dollars in my pocket and went straight into the ARMY. I worked hard and suffered. I ETS out of the ARMY in late 04. They got their moneys worth out of me, no doubt. I wanted a SS Sub all of my life. My grandfather was a watch maker so I understood what quality in a time piece is. Never thought I would be able to have one. I started a business and was lucky to do pretty well in a short period of time...hard work, and more hard work. Now I enjoy all of my watches (all Rolex's)...an addiction to say the least. I do not apologize for what I have. I give to those that need, friends and family, when I can. I say all should enjoy their good fortune and enjoy life...it is short. Be kind to others and live like today will be your last day and I believe that will keep everything in perspective allowing you to enjoy your time in this world. If you earned it, you deserve it...do not apologize for working hard and being rewarded for it.
Ritch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 08:26 PM   #29
engin33r
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, Daytona, DD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
It's partly in how you act. If you aren't rubbing it in people's faces and acting poorly, it shouldn't matter. "Pass the grey Poupon....OH YEAH, LOOK AT MY ROLEX"

I can see where you are coming from. When in Cambodia, I felt bad walking around with a $5,000 camera because the people I was shooting were lucky to make $500 in 6 months of hard work. But in the end, I acted properly, treated people with respect and kindness, so there was never an issue. In fact, the people were ecstatic to get their picture taken, and they were some of the happiest people I have ever met in my life. So maybe those that do notice your Rolex will have the "that's a cool watch" attitude, other than something negative.
Well said...

I've seen in real life, examples where success and wealth do not lead to happiness, and in fact it went the other way around.

I've seen a couple where both husband and wife were successful and wealthy in their own rights - in the end both were so busy with their own careers, they don't really spend time with their kids, just the nannies (yes there were more than one). They think if they buy their kids whatever they want it will make them happy... but no. And in the end they were consumed by their own success, each career achievement demands more of their time. Only when they found from the police that one of their kids had become a drug addict did they realized their mistakes - by then it's too late.

Another example, I was in Singapore in a particular hospital's ICU unit. While in the waiting room I spoke to a young guy in his early 20s. He's there to visit his dying mother. He was depressed, as doctors have told him that his mother was brain dead and had zero chance of ever being conscious again. The only reason her heart is still beating is because they put her in life support. Now, he can accept the fact that his mother is dying and is willing to let her go. But not his wealthy elder sister, she insisted that their mother was kept on life support for as long as they can. By that time I met the young guy, it had been a year. If his sister had not been wealthy, the doctors would turn off the life support (as the patient was declared brain dead). However they could not do so without the permit of the family, and since they were wealthy they could afford it. That young guy confided he's tired of it all, the emotional strain of seeing his mother not alive nor dead everytime was just too much.

And let's not forget the rich and famous who ended up killing themselves.

About the 'guilt' or 'self-conscious' whatever you chose to call it when wearing your rolex... I say it's 95% from you and only 5% from the others' less fortunate than you are. You think you are happier, better, than them - therefore you have that 'guilty' or 'self-conscious' feelings. While the reality is you don't really know... in reality those who are not as wealthy as you, could be, and some are happier and more content than you are.
engin33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2014, 03:36 AM   #30
vipergts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

well said
vipergts is offline   Reply With Quote