The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 September 2021, 02:09 AM   #61
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
Two boutiques have told me the elegante and CB lists are closed for the time being. Resonance list is at 6 years now. Most other stuff is around 2. No more AD’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 02:29 AM   #62
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
If we go back five years, any of the watch price today would be crazy to even contemplate back then.

Just 15 months ago I was offered a 40 mm ti elegante for $8500 from an AD and now I am going to wait for probably a year and pay full price. Seems so unreal.
I was fortunate enough to come across my Octa Reserve de Marche (Plat, deployant, grey dial, 40mm, 2008 model w/ less-desirable RG movement, full B&P set) in a watch shop in Amsterdam in 2016. It had formed part of a collection from a sadly deceased customer of theirs.

I'm not exactly sure of its value, but I suspect it is multiples of what I paid back then, and I doubt I could afford it now.

rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 02:39 AM   #63
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

P.S. the watch in question had been up for sale in that shop (and online) for several months. For me, I was extremely excited to get hold of a dream watch. I never thought I'd ever see one, let alone own an FPJ. The shop were equally delighted to get rid of this seemingly-unsaleable item, but they recognised it for what it is, despite its apparent unpopularity with the watch community at the time.
Old 11 September 2021, 02:42 AM   #64
flava_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3800/1J
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
P.S. the watch in question had been up for sale in that shop (and online) for several months. For me, I was extremely excited to get hold of a dream watch. I never thought I'd ever see one, let alone own an FPJ. The shop were equally delighted to get rid of this seemingly-unsaleable item, but they recognised it for what it is, despite its apparent unpopularity with the watch community at the time.

What fortune. Well done and a very lovely watch.
I missed a chance or two to buy an FPJ CR and CB over the past 5-7 years. I’m not sad that I missed the price rise, just sad that they are unattainable. I was never intending to flip them anyhow.

Sent using Tapatalk
flava_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 03:09 AM   #65
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flava_1 View Post
Did I mention your immaculate taste in watches?

But I can align the minute hands better on the Resonance ::
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 03:12 AM   #66
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It pains me to still be able to search on the Internet and found Resonance listing from 2016 which were asking for $50-60k. And now even an Elegante is selling for more than that.
Old 11 September 2021, 04:09 AM   #67
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It pains me to still be able to search on the Internet and found Resonance listing from 2016 which were asking for $50-60k. And now even an Elegante is selling for more than that.
I missed many opportunities to add multiple brass movement Resonances for $45-$55k just barely in 2018 / early-2019.

There was one fateful auction late-2019 that started the chain of events that ruined everything for me/us.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 07:52 AM   #68
flava_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But I can align the minute hands better on the Resonance ::

Lol fair enough. That was a pic literally within minutes of obtaining the piece so you can blame the rep!

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 11 September 2021, 07:57 AM   #69
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol fair enough. That was a pic literally within minutes of obtaining the piece so you can blame the rep!

Sent using Tapatalk

I was so OCD about it that I spent a long time thinking of the best way to set the time on both hands so it can line up with time.gov as much as possible and still align with each other.

The non-hacking unidirectional crown definitely makes it so much worse. At least mine is better than my friend’s, the second hands on his cannot be synced. It would have driven me nuts but somehow he is fine with it and not sending it back yet.
Old 11 September 2021, 08:06 AM   #70
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I missed many opportunities to add multiple brass movement Resonances for $45-$55k just barely in 2018 / early-2019.

There was one fateful auction late-2019 that started the chain of events that ruined everything for me/us.
Haha same. Literally turned down a Resonance in Q4 2019. :) Still have the email from WatchBox offering a Resonance at what now, is a very, very attractive price lol.

WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 09:31 AM   #71
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
If you really want the true FPJ then it’s not automatic. He was reluctant to make automatics at all but bowed to the notion that consumers would want them. The simplest and least expensive of them that encompass all his ideals would be the Chronometrie Souverain series.
I was in the same boat as you are in that I was very interested in the Octa Lune because it is an automatic (like Rolexes, Pateks, etc) but the manual Chronometre series is what makes F.P. Journe different from the other brands - the power reserve positioned next to the crown and double barrel movement as in the Souverain. good luck
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 10:14 AM   #72
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicasi2002 View Post
I was in the same boat as you are in that I was very interested in the Octa Lune because it is an automatic (like Rolexes, Pateks, etc) but the manual Chronometre series is what makes F.P. Journe different from the other brands - the power reserve positioned next to the crown and double barrel movement as in the Souverain. good luck

This article is a good read for CS:

http://thejourneguy.com/rediscoverin...tre-souverain/
Old 11 September 2021, 08:17 PM   #73
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This article is a good read for CS:

http://thejourneguy.com/rediscoverin...tre-souverain/
Excellent read. Thanks for sharing.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 01:43 AM   #74
Just1More
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can see an argument for a dedicated FPJourne forum as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree--Grand Seiko has a dedicated forum--c'mon !!
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 08:44 PM   #75
flava_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
I agree--Grand Seiko has a dedicated forum--c'mon !!

Any Moderators here who can help?

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 12 September 2021, 11:23 PM   #76
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Any Moderators here who can help?

Sent using Tapatalk

They are very reluctant to add sub forums. Many other watch forums have a ton of slow moving sections and sometimes it feels like we need a few hot topics in the other watches section to keep it moving. I know this is personally my favorite sub forum.

Don’t forget Seiko has its own sub forum here not so much grand seiko which just comes with the package.

All that said I would be in favor of a FP Journe section but it’s not just a matter of messaging the mods or Steve. They just rarely do it and I have doubts they would for a brand as small as FPJ.
Old 13 September 2021, 01:16 PM   #77
Jabs2
"TRF" Member

I’m mainly on Rolex Forums for the Journe content! Sub Forum would be amazing ��
Jabs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 10:15 PM   #78
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What fortune. Well done and a very lovely watch.
I missed a chance or two to buy an FPJ CR and CB over the past 5-7 years. I’m not sad that I missed the price rise, just sad that they are unattainable. I was never intending to flip them anyhow.
Thanks, I only went into the shop to "tyre-kick" some vintage Subs they had in the window. Once I was in there, I got chatting to the lovely sales assistant about other brands. I mentioned that I liked FPJ watches, but had never seen one, at which she said they had one for sale in the shop!

[I must confess at this point that I was extremely stoned that afternoon, having spent most of the morning in a "coffeeshop"]

Off she went into the back, and emerged with the Octa RDM, full set from 2008. I thought I might be hallucinating, but after a little negotiation, the watch was mine for £18k (GBP). It's the crowning glory of my small collection, and not one which I'm at all keen to part with. Quintessential Journe dial, IMO, a bit like how the Rolex OP is the foundation for all the professional "sport" Rolexes.
Old 14 September 2021, 11:25 PM   #79
flava_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, I only went into the shop to "tyre-kick" some vintage Subs they had in the window. Once I was in there, I got chatting to the lovely sales assistant about other brands. I mentioned that I liked FPJ watches, but had never seen one, at which she said they had one for sale in the shop!

[I must confess at this point that I was extremely stoned that afternoon, having spent most of the morning in a "coffeeshop"]

Off she went into the back, and emerged with the Octa RDM, full set from 2008. I thought I might be hallucinating, but after a little negotiation, the watch was mine for £18k (GBP). It's the crowning glory of my small collection, and not one which I'm at all keen to part with. Quintessential Journe dial, IMO, a bit like how the Rolex OP is the foundation for all the professional "sport" Rolexes.

How glad you must have been to wake up and realise it wasn’t a dream!

I tend to agree with you regarding the OP as foundational. As you have probably seen a lot of people would argue the CS owns that role but I for one just am not in that camp. I think the hard to achieve answer is one of each

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 29 October 2023, 03:21 PM   #80
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Bumping this. Is the Elegante list closed? Might make the trek to my boutique but it’s not super close.
Old 29 October 2023, 10:38 PM   #81
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Heard that there is an incident between some collectors and FPJ at a private dinner as per Niko Leonard which made many collectors sell their watches as its going to affect the brand

any idea on this?
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2023, 10:54 PM   #82
wsrobert
"TRF" Member

Saw the same and now very curious.
wsrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2023, 11:10 PM   #83
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post
Heard that there is an incident between some collectors and FPJ at a private dinner as per Niko Leonard which made many collectors sell their watches as its going to affect the brand

any idea on this?

I’d love to know the details of what specifically happened as I don’t see nico leonard as anything but a click bait YouTuber.
Old 30 October 2023, 01:56 AM   #84
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I just came here looking for info on this. I met him at a dinner many years ago and he was quite polite back then, but it was before his brand exploded.

If it’s true and whatever collectors these were are going to sell their stuff, unless they’re trading to other collectors I’d expect we see pieces coming up at auction.

As for the brand, he’s not exactly a spring chicken anyway. Is the brand strong enough without him? I’d say probably yes.

In any case there was some controversy recently with him making a statement about Only Watch charity auctions, so maybe it’s related to that just based on the timing.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2023, 02:13 AM   #85
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 14060A
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I just came here looking for info on this. I met him at a dinner many years ago and he was quite polite back then, but it was before his brand exploded.
I have no idea what this is all about but, speaking strictly of the man's behavior, I have met F.P. several times and as recently as June of this year, and he has always and consistently been polite and humble while explaining many of his pieces and operation. I just watched that Nico Leonard video and could not make out what he was referring to.
F131F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2023, 02:26 AM   #86
wsrobert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’d love to know the details of what specifically happened as I don’t see nico leonard as anything but a click bait YouTuber.
That’s definitely his brand on YT. But he’s also a quite prominent, international, dealer who’s obviously pretty plugged in.
wsrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2023, 03:12 AM   #87
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrobert View Post
That’s definitely his brand on YT. But he’s also a quite prominent, international, dealer who’s obviously pretty plugged in.

Did he explain what occurred? I know many long time Journe collectors have been upset with their allocations getting throttled relative to 5 years ago but I’d be interested to hear what specifically set these people off.

There’s not another FP Journe out there so idk where they are going with their money anyways. Also they’d be selling into the worst watch market in over 5 years so they really screwed up not selling 2 years ago lol

Will they now collect MBF? Debethune? What other independent really has the breadth of catalog etc to entice a big collector. I’d probably revert to Patek if I was wealthy and exited FPJ.
Old 30 October 2023, 03:58 AM   #88
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did he explain what occurred? I know many long time Journe collectors have been upset with their allocations getting throttled relative to 5 years ago but I’d be interested to hear what specifically set these people off.

There’s not another FP Journe out there so idk where they are going with their money anyways. Also they’d be selling into the worst watch market in over 5 years so they really screwed up not selling 2 years ago lol

Will they now collect MBF? Debethune? What other independent really has the breadth of catalog etc to entice a big collector. I’d probably revert to Patek if I was wealthy and exited FPJ.
It seems like a lot of the independents that started hitting when I was building my collection are now massively waitlisted and impossible to get.
Old 30 October 2023, 04:36 AM   #89
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

F.P. Journe

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
It seems like a lot of the independents that started hitting when I was building my collection are now massively waitlisted and impossible to get.

Who are we talking? KV? RR? RWS

There aren’t that many independents that are in the sweet spot in terms of production and breadth of offerings.

Many collectors seem to be really excited about newer brands that have limited offerings so far. Peterman Bedat, RR, Simon Brette etc

I guess you could entertain gronefeld as they seem to have a plan to continue rolling out new complications. Maybe Laurent Ferrier? Urwerk?

I feel the type to collect FPJ is cognizant of resale value whether they are willing to admit it or not.
Old 30 October 2023, 04:58 AM   #90
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Who are we talking? KV? RR? RWS

There aren’t that many independents that are in the sweet spot in terms of production and breadth of offerings.

Many collectors seem to be really excited about newer brands that have limited offerings so far. Peterman Bedat, RR, Simon Brette etc

I guess you could entertain gronefeld as they seem to have a plan to continue rolling out new complications. Maybe Laurent Ferrier? Urwerk?

I feel the type to collect FPJ is cognizant of resale value whether they are willing to admit it or not.
I was thinking KV but also MB&F and Romain Gauthier. KV and Romain both were flown out to the Bay Area, I met KV and had dinner with him. At that time something like a V8 was obtainable without too much cost or effort.

MB&F I could just order one from my retailer. The owner wore a LM all the time. They also had AP and had Royal Oaks just sitting there in the case. I think they still have Laurent Ferrier but those never seemed to hit.