The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Reference Library

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24 July 2012, 10:48 PM   #11
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandiford View Post
The 216570 explorer II is a fine watch but for me it marks a departure of Rolex into the oversized and blingy market that is aimed at Chinese new millionaires. No doubt that technologically the 3187 movement is a marvel but for me 16570 is already a classic. It marks the sports/tool watch at the perfect dimensions of 40mm. The lume isn't the best but its Rolex's last watch that was perfect. Snap one up on the vintage market peoples!!

'Oversized and blingy' is a bit strong... it's only 42 mm and is finished in the same way as the old model i.e. mostly brushed. Of course these things come down to personal preference and opinion, but I see the 216570 as being more functional than the 16570. The dial & hands are easier to read, the lume is much better, and the clasp is more readily adjustable

I still like the 16570 (I had two of them) but the updates for the 216570 have given the Exp II a new and hopefully long lease of life. It is no longer an 'also ran' trailing the Sub and GMT