The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 July 2023, 07:33 AM   #91
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Is that what they call a “humble brag?”
They see me rollin' in the Odyssey... they hate'in .
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 09:14 AM   #92
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Chewy is on a roll today, but to his point, my 2001 Honda Odyssey had more horsepower than a Corvette from 10 years prior.
Paul!!!!!!! He’s making fun of your Vette!!!!!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 09:22 AM   #93
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Porsche just another BMW Audi Mercedes Volvo, now.

Chewy has no clue what he is talking about lol. Or very poorly trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 09:35 AM   #94
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Chewy has no clue what he is talking about lol. Or very poorly trolling.

Wat!!!!!!!

(States Chewie has no clue what he’s talking about. Also offers alternative explanation to own assessment. Or better known as the WebMD it’s definitely food poisoning but could also be allergies, opinion )

Old 6 July 2023, 10:22 AM   #95
sambb
"TRF" Member

honestly bentley and panamera are not much different except bentley is more isolated and luxurious. Both are sporty and fast, and handling is also decent, and neither is like driving a 911. However, the modern 911 is very different from the older 911s, and the 718 is much better for handling.

None of this matters except on a track. At reasonable US highway speeds, most sports cars are largely irrelevant, except for the psychological cachet : of the marque, the ability to know its capabilities, and the ability to know its acceleration and handling - even if rarely used on US roads.

it is fine to buy the 911 for the psychological aspect of knowing its awesome , but it hardly matters on the road except for knowing that you are driving an upper echelon car. Same could probably be said for a patek grand comp, or a fine bottle of overpriced wine, or (in the past) expensive audio/stereo equipmnent.

Remember when people bought McIntosh audio equipment? Now, you listen on an iphone with airpods, and the experience is just as good, if not better. On the other hand, perhaps listening to a cheap stereo with a nice date and a cheap bottle of wine might be better than a 50k stereo. Same goes for cars. Driving with the top down at 35mph in a bentley GTC with a nice date, on the way to a nice dinner is probably preferable than a 911 turbo at 90 mph alone looking for cops while teens are texting and driving in their 5000 lb SUVs and you hope they dont rear end you.

Spend your money as you wish and love it!
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 10:22 AM   #96
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Wat!!!!!!!

(States Chewie has no clue what he’s talking about. Also offers alternative explanation to own assessment. Or better known as the WebMD it’s definitely food poisoning but could also be allergies, opinion )

Just much of what you have said sounds like it comes from someone who has never actually driven one of these cars as they were built to do. I have raced many proper race cars and tracked many street cars. Porsches are some of the best out there, period. Not many cars you can take to the track, rag the piss out of, drive it home and take your wife to dinner with the same day. I used to say the same about bmw, not so much any longer yet I still own one.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 11:09 PM   #97
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
The one thing I'd say having owned two 911s, and having lots of friends who have owned Audis:

911s tend to be super reliable and although parts are expensive, things seldom break. I have heard the opposite from Audi owners. In fact last weekend I saw a friend driving an R5. I asked what happened to his RS3. It needed a $7k transmission job and he traded it in for the quote he had just received on it minus the $7k. I guess he liked it enough to ante up for another Audi.
I’ve had most Audi models and did not have issues with parts failing. However, every single one of them, from an A4to and R8, burned oil. I drove around with 2 quarts of oil in each car for the inevitable pull over to add oil.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 11:11 PM   #98
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
honestly bentley and panamera are not much different except bentley is more isolated and luxurious. Both are sporty and fast, and handling is also decent, and neither is like driving a 911. However, the modern 911 is very different from the older 911s, and the 718 is much better for handling.

None of this matters except on a track. At reasonable US highway speeds, most sports cars are largely irrelevant, except for the psychological cachet : of the marque, the ability to know its capabilities, and the ability to know its acceleration and handling - even if rarely used on US roads.

it is fine to buy the 911 for the psychological aspect of knowing its awesome , but it hardly matters on the road except for knowing that you are driving an upper echelon car. Same could probably be said for a patek grand comp, or a fine bottle of overpriced wine, or (in the past) expensive audio/stereo equipmnent.

Remember when people bought McIntosh audio equipment? Now, you listen on an iphone with airpods, and the experience is just as good, if not better. On the other hand, perhaps listening to a cheap stereo with a nice date and a cheap bottle of wine might be better than a 50k stereo. Same goes for cars. Driving with the top down at 35mph in a bentley GTC with a nice date, on the way to a nice dinner is probably preferable than a 911 turbo at 90 mph alone looking for cops while teens are texting and driving in their 5000 lb SUVs and you hope they dont rear end you.

Spend your money as you wish and love it!
The Bentluet SUV, behind the front row seats, is an Audi Q7/8.

Superior engine and luxurious front row and dash, but behind that …
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 11:22 PM   #99
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Proper sporting cars should have flaws and try to kill you. History proves this. I have no desire for modern boulevard fast cars to appease the track day egos of podiatrists or hair stylists with nanny features and ‘too good’ remarks. Give me Sophia Loren throwing a vase at me from across the room over Mrs Cleaver saying meatloaf is ready any day.
Amusing and completely agree! Having a special car isn't about it being the easiest car to drive and which has plenty of space for groceries. Sure, as a daily commuter the 911 or most modern cars are better than their predecessors.

However, at the end of the day, what makes a car special is overall driving experience. Modern cars are bigger, more spacious, heavier, more luxurious, have more safety features, and exhaust systems with the sound piped into the speakers. Sure they have more power than their predecessors, but there's a great video of an interview with Alois Ruf. He has one of the earliest 911s ever made, restored it and still has it. His company built the fastest production car in the world in 1984 the Ruf "Yellow Bird." He regularly builds cars that have well in excess of 500hp, but he was quoted as saying nothing is better than lightness. He said even making cars with substantially more horsepower doesn't make up for the lightness and feel of earlier cars.

Most modern cars are automatics, which kind of kills the sports car feel and engagement with the car. I don't care how fast modern sports cars can go...its still sort of a "Soccer mom" car with an auto transmission.

There may be a handful of exceptions, but in most cases vintage cars with their quirks and imperfections have a lot more character and feel more special than most modern cars. I'd take a 930 Turbo over a modern 911 Turbo, a Ferrari 512BBi over a Ferrari 812, a Lamborghini Countach over an Aventator, a BMW 3.0CSL over an M8, a Maserati Bora over a Gran Turismo, Jag E-Type over an Ftype, etc. ...and I could keep going!
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 11:22 PM   #100
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
this is what I say about my Bentley.

it is not the fastest car I have had. it is not the sexiest car I have had. it is not the loudest car I have ever had. it is not the most exciting car I have ever had.

but it is by far the nicest car I have every had. all around, the car was just so nice. and so well put together. the drive was also super fun, nice exhaust note (first model with sport exhaust) and it handled great. driving it just felt great. it was super duper comfortable too.

my only complaint would have been it is too heavy, and too fast, to not have carbon ceramic brakes.

I will definitely own one again. this time though, I will buy used with about 10k miles on it.

I have had a Panamera. Sorry, there was zero similarity from my viewpoint. The Porsche was way more sporty. Tighter. Also fun. And awesome. But it was no Bentley.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 11:25 PM   #101
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I’ve had a couple of 930’s and a bunch of 3.2’s (currently an ‘84 Targa). I love the turbo body but they’re a pain to maintain over a 3.2. Neither are very fast by modern standards, and the sweet spot IMO is the M491 turbo-look 3.2. Basically a turbo body, brakes, and suspension with 3.2 motor. That will probably be my next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Hard to argue there. And I really would love an air cooled turbo at some point.

I truly look forward to one day glimpsing what it’s like to have real money.

I just heard of a Chicago billionaire who crashed his hyper car at the track. Sadly he died. His family was watching. He’s apparently a big track guy. It was a family event and he went into the wall.

I’m hearing this second hand, so some of my details might be wrong. I think he was Chicago based. Really sad story. But he was in his 70’s and surely lived a wonderful life.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 11:58 PM   #102
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Just much of what you have said sounds like it comes from someone who has never actually driven one of these cars as they were built to do. I have raced many proper race cars and tracked many street cars. Porsches are some of the best out there, period. Not many cars you can take to the track, rag the piss out of, drive it home and take your wife to dinner with the same day. I used to say the same about bmw, not so much any longer yet I still own one.

I was getting at the same point but decided wtf am I doing it’s chewy and he’s trolling 24/7/365 lol
Old 7 July 2023, 12:13 AM   #103
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Simply far too common to be special?

Yes or No?

I’ve owned my 992. Base 911 for 8 months now.
Fantastic and cery beautiful car.
When it comes to “rarity” i saw handful of 911s on the street during this time of which only one was 992

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 01:01 AM   #104
Chewbacca
Banned

Now I know why Papa Mark only posts once a decade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6032.jpeg (45.4 KB, 193 views)
Old 7 July 2023, 01:10 AM   #105
Top G
"TRF" Member

I agree that they are way overpriced (argument can be made for turbos, gtxx as they are truly exceptional cars) and not as special with how common they seem to be these days. It amazes me at how much money (or debt) is out there with how common they are. For me, porsche used to be the sweet spot - 997 turbos could have been had for 50k and you'd be skunking lamborghinis and ferraris all day. Gone are the days...
Top G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 01:24 AM   #106
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Chewy needs a circa 1980's Pontiac Trans Am with a screaming chicken on the hood to get that truly head turning exclusivity he requires.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 01:55 AM   #107
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Chewy needs a circa 1980's Pontiac Trans Am with a screaming chicken on the hood to get that truly head turning exclusivity he requires.

All day. Every day. Twice on Sunday.

I’d take a perfect unmolested 1977 Trans Am ‘Bandit’ over any new = $$$ Porsche or in this case 911.

(Gimme that Sally Field and Burt Reynolds fun any day)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7637.jpeg (103.8 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_7638.jpeg (122.3 KB, 196 views)
Old 7 July 2023, 02:25 AM   #108
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top G View Post
I agree that they are way overpriced (argument can be made for turbos, gtxx as they are truly exceptional cars) and not as special with how common they seem to be these days. It amazes me at how much money (or debt) is out there with how common they are. For me, porsche used to be the sweet spot - 997 turbos could have been had for 50k and you'd be skunking lamborghinis and ferraris all day. Gone are the days...

Everything has gone up. Now they are still affordable around 120k for a 997 turbo s. Lamborghinis and Ferraris are mostly 300k plus for modern. You used to be able to score some of them for ~225.
Old 7 July 2023, 02:58 AM   #109
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico81 View Post
I’ve owned my 992. Base 911 for 8 months now.
Fantastic and cery beautiful car.
When it comes to “rarity” i saw handful of 911s on the street during this time of which only one was 992
Wow! I tend to drive very short distances, and I bet I see a 992 on average every day, several 911s/day and too many Macans and Cayennes to count.
Old 7 July 2023, 10:15 AM   #110
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Let’s just put it this way, Porsche 911s are far less common than Rolexes.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 11:42 AM   #111
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
None of this matters except on a track. At reasonable US highway speeds, most sports cars are largely irrelevant, except for the psychological cachet : of the marque,
Amen. Thankfully some here do track their car. But many don't and so...

Quote:
the ability to know its capabilities, and the ability to know its acceleration and handling - even if rarely used on US roads.
Also makes for great FAIL videos of idiots overdriving their 'talent'.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 01:01 AM   #112
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Not special anymore

That’s why I got a Giulia QV

Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 01:04 AM   #113
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Amen. Thankfully some here do track their car. But many don't and so...

Also makes for great FAIL videos of idiots overdriving their 'talent'.

Not tracking your Porsche essentially means you shouldn’t even own one. Absolutely insane

Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 01:30 AM   #114
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post
Not tracking your Porsche essentially means you shouldn’t even own one. Absolutely insane

I AirPod all my cars.
Old 8 July 2023, 05:56 AM   #115
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post
Oh, a typical Porsche it matters not. Grocery getter and such is fine by me. That's what it's built for. Their SUV is great for shopping and long journeys on holiday.

Buuuuut.... Those mega-beasts Porsche built street legal yet really more for track use, yeah, track it. So much wasted potential on public roads... unless you live in Germany.

jmho... I'd be tracking it because I desire to experience its potential within a proper environment. That's why it was made to those specs and the SUV is made to its specs.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 8 July 2023, 12:02 PM   #116
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t disagree that tracking is a must.

But, I have to admit that it feels to me that anyone that can’t enjoy these cars on the roads, just doesn’t have experience with them. Or can’t drive.

You don’t need to drive at breakneck speeds to enjoy these cars. Especially the 911. Windy roads are tons of good fun.

There are many great roads by me to enjoy.

The autobahn is just fast. I’m sure that’s great. But point and go is not what these cars are about.

On nice days the driving roads by me are filled. Go early in the am, and you can have them all to yourself.

I’ve personally done rally’s all over the country as well. I can assure you, the US has epic roads. And many are the exact same ones the editors at road and track are using to test cars to write their articles.

So yeah, all car enthusiasts should experience the track. Absolutely. I’m actually going to be driving my customers senna in august. Can’t wait. I’ll track my R8 same day too.

But nah, I enjoy my to and from work every single day. And I’m tame in comparison to literally the tens of thousands of car enthusiasts in the tri state area.

Old 8 July 2023, 12:04 PM   #117
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Adder just to say the GT3RS and GT2RS I do agree are overkill for road driving. And yes, a lot of folks never track them. Sadly, because they are purpose built track cars.

Old 8 July 2023, 09:41 PM   #118
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Adder just to say the GT3RS and GT2RS I do agree are overkill for road driving. And yes, a lot of folks never track them. Sadly, because they are purpose-built track cars.
A most humble thanks SuperDog, YES this is what I'm 'alluding' to. Thanks for allowing me to better explain my thoughts, gentlemen.

Sure your typical 911, etc is fine as a grocery-getter, drive it on the 405 in SoCal traffic and such as that's what they are built for

The RS series and the like, track it, or let someone seriously talented track your car. Better still, meet them at a PCA / HPDE track day and allow them to drive it (and, perhaps, teach you how to track a car... a BIG win-win there). This way you can experience the vehicle's true potential in a safe and proper environment, which is what it was built for.

jmho

PS: If RS owners are too scared, i'll volunteer my 'services' to track your Porsche RS. Better still, let Paul track it :)

Old 8 July 2023, 10:44 PM   #119
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Who wouldn’t want that car?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 11:51 PM   #120
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I don’t disagree that tracking is a must.

But, I have to admit that it feels to me that anyone that can’t enjoy these cars on the roads, just doesn’t have experience with them. Or can’t drive.

You don’t need to drive at breakneck speeds to enjoy these cars. Especially the 911. Windy roads are tons of good fun.

There are many great roads by me to enjoy.

The autobahn is just fast. I’m sure that’s great. But point and go is not what these cars are about.

On nice days the driving roads by me are filled. Go early in the am, and you can have them all to yourself.

I’ve personally done rally’s all over the country as well. I can assure you, the US has epic roads. And many are the exact same ones the editors at road and track are using to test cars to write their articles.

So yeah, all car enthusiasts should experience the track. Absolutely. I’m actually going to be driving my customers senna in august. Can’t wait. I’ll track my R8 same day too.

But nah, I enjoy my to and from work every single day. And I’m tame in comparison to literally the tens of thousands of car enthusiasts in the tri state area.
I had an '89 911 and did annual PCA driver's eds. Really fun and really showed what the car could do and how rock solid it was. Easy to drive to and from and on the track. I now have a 991 Cab, and while I don't really want to do track events anymore, and a Cab is not a great choice for it anyway, it does make cruises way more fun. I think it's a perfect street car. Not that it wouldn't be fun at the track, but it isn't fully necessary to appreciate it. My opinion...