The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 January 2024, 06:23 AM   #1
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Amalfi coast

Anyone have any recommendations regarding that region? Planning a trip in Oct and hope to spend at least 5 nights there prior to exploring a few more areas in Italy. Looks like positano and sorrento are where most stay and would also like to check out capri but not sure if that requires staying in different regions or just take day trips?

Thanks in advance!
Old 19 January 2024, 06:38 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Andrea and I have visited the Amalfi coast many times.

Sorrento has a bit more of a larger city feel to it (not that it’s large at all), relative to Positano.

FWIW, I think you’ll love both, mainly due to the time of the year you are planning to visit. Positano especially is overrun with tourists during prime time, and we avoid it. It’s beautiful though in late Sept, early October

As for food, you can’t miss. Have fun exploring and eating and drinking your face off.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 06:54 AM   #3
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Amalfi coast

Amalfi Coast is awesome. It’s epic. I liked it as much as Venice. We stayed at Positano. But I can’t say for sure if that’s the best destination or not to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 07:20 AM   #4
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Perhaps one of the most beautiful places to visit. October should be a great time for weather and less people. Many boats leaving for Capri from the area so not a concern. Enjoy.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 07:25 AM   #5
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Sorrento is a great base for catching the ferry to Capri for a day as well as taking the Circumvesuviana (CV) train to and from Pompeii. Consequently, I would spend at least two nights there.

I would highly recommend another 2-3 nights in Amalfi. It is a bit smaller and less glitzy than Positano and I much preferred the evening ambiance there, especially in the little cafes surrounding the Duomo. You can ferry to Positano and Salerno (if a WW2 history buff) from there easily.

There is some great hiking up high along the coast as well.

Although you can take the CV train from Naples into Sorrento and beyond, you may want to consider booking private transport through a company I highly recommend called “Joe Banana”. Seriously.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 07:37 AM   #6
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Love the area. Enjoyed a nice meal in Sorrento at Terrazza Bosquet - ask for the seat that juts out from the terrace a bit for a particularly nice view.

Capri is fun too - really the whole Amalfi coast area is beautiful but navigate the restaurants / touristy stuff carefully. Some are not very good by Italian standards and seem to cater to tourist tastes instead.

There were several great coastal restaurants too (nearly or on the beach). Some were really good… unfortunately I don’t recall the names of the best ones off the top of my head…
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 10:34 AM   #7
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much all! Really appreciate the advice. Thinking we might do 2 nights each in at least 3 areas (between sorrento, positano, amalfi, capri) and then head up to rome for a few nights before heading back.
Old 19 January 2024, 11:18 AM   #8
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Amalfi coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Thanks so much all! Really appreciate the advice. Thinking we might do 2 nights each in at least 3 areas (between sorrento, positano, amalfi, capri) and then head up to rome for a few nights before heading back.

I recommend doing a search on YouTube for Amalfi Coast. Lots of great videos. We didn’t see them until after we were there, which is unfortunate. They would have been helpful in terms of planning our activities. Either way, we still had a great time.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 11:42 AM   #9
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I’d consider staying in Sorrento mainly because it’s a great base for exploring. Capri is a must on one of your days. The Amalfi coast is extremely busy for travelling around. We hired someone to drive us around the different coastal villages one day and we managed to see loads. Found them on trip advisor. There were 4 of us so it made it reasonable. Hired them again on our last day to take us to Vesuvius before dropping us at the airport.

You’ll love it, the area is beautiful.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 01:50 PM   #10
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Amalfi coast is an amazing place to visit, went with family Summer 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 09:23 PM   #11
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
My wife and I did Capri for 8 days and loved it. So much to do and enjoyed the private beach.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 03:40 AM   #12
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
We stayed in Minori, parked the car and took the ferry to Positano, Alma and a few other towns. Very easy and offers some great view of the coastline.

Minori was great, with some good restaurants, a nice beach and an awesome Gelateria.

More of a small town feel and very quaint.

Just avoid the old lady in the fruit stand. What a nasty you know what.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 03:42 AM   #13
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Spend as much time as you can on the coast, you won't be sorry.

Rome, excluding the historical sites, is just another big city.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 05:13 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s interesting to read this thread … goes to show we are all different.

I didn’t think Pompeii was all that interesting. Could be that it was extremely hot when we were there and there isn’t a tree in sight there

We also did like Minori, it’s got more of an authentic / less touristy vibe than Positano. I believe it’s where we hiked the lemon trail.

Ravello is also worth a visit. There are spectacular views and a wonderful restaurant at the top of the mountain (I forget the name of it now).

One other thought is not to overlook Rome. Yes it’s a large city, but there are wonderful pockets to explore and stay in like Trastevere (our favorite). We always stay 3 days 2 nights in Rome when we finish off a trip to Italy
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:11 AM   #15
355F1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It’s interesting to read this thread … goes to show we are all different.

I didn’t think Pompeii was all that interesting. Could be that it was extremely hot when we were there and there isn’t a tree in sight there

We also did like Minori, it’s got more of an authentic / less touristy vibe than Positano. I believe it’s where we hiked the lemon trail.

Ravello is also worth a visit. There are spectacular views and a wonderful restaurant at the top of the mountain (I forget the name of it now).

One other thought is not to overlook Rome. Yes it’s a large city, but there are wonderful pockets to explore and stay in like Trastevere (our favorite). We always stay 3 days 2 nights in Rome when we finish off a trip to Italy

And here I am flying back to Italy next month for a long weekend for the sole purpose of visiting Pompeii again as I don’t feel like one day was enough there back in 2019. :)

355F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 01:13 AM   #16
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Capri and Positano are both must see. Sorrento is overrated imo at least. Beaches aren’t great and the architecture just doesn’t sing to me. I still have lots of family in Campania and it’s a beautiful region. If you’re feeling adventurous head a little South to the Cilento Coast. Then on to Basilicata to see Muro and Matera. From there a ride down to Tropea in Calabria and Taormina in Sicily for beaches and history that is incredible.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote