The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2020, 07:34 AM   #31
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Spend money on things they cannot sell to other customers.
They will remember you

Kidding aside;
Put yourself in the AD's shoes. To whom would you rather sell, a one time customer who is possibly a flipper or a regular spender ?

Your chances are slim, be patient for an undefined period of time or look elsewhere
Old 5 February 2020, 07:40 AM   #32
djgallo
Banned

Maybe you can find a way to suggest/hint to the AD that you will pay a higher premium for the watch that you want.....higher than the price that the grey dealer is offering the AD...and you just might get the watch....
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 09:32 AM   #33
aayates
"TRF" Member

Sarcasm is legit on this issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
Remember to Clean your teeth before you go into the AD to take a present at the start of a new month. On the way out, wave and say "Missing you already"
Maybe offer to babysit AD's kids on the weekend? Or hand wax their car? How about $1,000 cash in an unmarked envelope - "Hey, I think you may have dropped something"...
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 09:56 AM   #34
*M5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Just like most of us :)

It depends which model you're after, and which AD's you put your name with.

Birks?
Chateau D'ivoire?
Bijouterie Italienne?

The first two, sadly the third one never gave me the time of day and customer service did not seem to be their forte on the occasions that I visited.

If I'm gonna have to wait and spend money in the process I would like it to come with a side of professionalism and proper client care.
*M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 09:59 AM   #35
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Timbits

They're like Marlboros for bingo players in Canada.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 10:05 AM   #36
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Absolute crapshoot, if you ask me, as far as best practices are concerned.

And frankly, spending more money on other items at an AD doesn't help *YOU* either. Say I want to buy a DD40 with diamond dial for my wife... from AD (MSRP minus a little discount perhaps) + Tax... almost always comes out to more than buying from a grey dealer. The money I save going with grey can be spent on the premium the grey dealers charge for the SS model and I can have the SS model I want now, vs. waiting and hoping to have done enough with the dealer to be pushed up the list.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 10:12 AM   #37
*M5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Absolute crapshoot, if you ask me, as far as best practices are concerned.

And frankly, spending more money on other items at an AD doesn't help *YOU* either. Say I want to buy a DD40 with diamond dial for my wife... from AD (MSRP minus a little discount perhaps) + Tax... almost always comes out to more than buying from a grey dealer. The money I save going with grey can be spent on the premium the grey dealers charge for the SS model and I can have the SS model I want now, vs. waiting and hoping to have done enough with the dealer to be pushed up the list.

I agree to a certain extent as this was the way I went about my Explorer but a part of me feels as if buying a Rolex should also be an experience and a celebration in itself, not just wiring money on Chrono.
Old 5 February 2020, 10:25 AM   #38
challer
"TRF" Member

Why on earth would I lower myself to groveling to get in the salesman good graces? It my money. He’s in my payroll when I buy something. People wonder d we’dhh gray dealers exist. There’s nothing magic about MSRP. You grovel, I’ll buy my watch today from someone who treats me like I’m spending 50k.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 10:33 AM   #39
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by *M5 View Post
I agree to a certain extent as this was the way I went about my Explorer but a part of me feels as if buying a Rolex should also be an experience and a celebration in itself, not just wiring money on Chrono.
Yes, I agree, absolutely.

For my wife, for our 20th anniversary, we went to the local AD (my 'friends' if you will) and bought the watch she wanted. I knew I could save a couple of thousands if i went grey, but I wanted to mark the occasion properly so extra cost wasn't an issue.

But now, this time around, I will not do that and I am sure she would appreciate the watch in a gift bag presented to her by me while having a dinner at an expensive restaurant just as much.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 11:18 AM   #40
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
My experience is that being kind and respectful goes a very long way. Many of the SA’s I have chatted with have horror stories about the entitlement of some of the high roller customers and hate selling to them for that reason. Entitled, disrespectful, arrogant, etc.
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 11:19 AM   #41
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
Why on earth would I lower myself to groveling to get in the salesman good graces? It my money. He’s in my payroll when I buy something. People wonder d we’dhh gray dealers exist. There’s nothing magic about MSRP. You grovel, I’ll buy my watch today from someone who treats me like I’m spending 50k.
Ladies and gentlemen, exhibit A

cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 11:26 AM   #42
*M5
"TRF" Member

Good point Faz!

What I find quite odd is that for most mass produced goods, going the OEM way if you will, is the more expensive alternative (eg: taking your car to the dealership as opposed to the corner mechanic), yet some how in the Rolex market that is upside down.
Old 5 February 2020, 11:28 AM   #43
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 11:34 AM   #44
Rolexfellow
Banned

There is no list. Only buying history
Rolexfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 11:40 AM   #45
Rolexfellow
Banned

Quote:
Its not about groveling. The AD simply holds the popular models for the elite customer, The customer that spends the most money. It makes perfect sense.

Personally I believe its a perfect system. I really think people are getting into luxury watch game far too young nowadays because of the internet. You shouldn't be lusting or getting a Rolex at age 25 or 30. Its ridiculous.

The same exact thing happens at a luxury Car dealership. The steady customer who always buys the latest model is always offered the next model as soon as its available.
Rolexfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 11:42 AM   #46
SDR581
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 116610LN DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexfellow View Post
There is no list. Only buying history
I agree. That's what every AD has said

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
SDR581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 11:50 AM   #47
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Personally I believe its a perfect system. I really think people are getting into luxury watch game far too young nowadays because of the internet. You shouldn't be lusting or getting a Rolex at age 25 or 30. Its ridiculous.
That’s pretty damn dumb.
1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 12:27 PM   #48
*M5
"TRF" Member

Going 'grey' is obviously not such a big issue or price hike for Americans, but in Canada there are almost no reputable dealers and the few Canadian websites I have visited are just about the cost of purchasing a 'non-desirable' Rolex at AD in order to get an SS.

Might as well have two watches instead of one.
Old 5 February 2020, 01:09 PM   #49
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *M5 View Post
Just as the title states, I was curious to find out what sort of follow-up would increase the chances of AD coming through with the watch, if any.

Cheers!

Start buying other watches will help. Otherwise you're just a name of hundreds or thousands

the list is unlikely to be numerical order so its who spends more will move up the list

What are you on the "list" for? The hotter the watch the more you need to spend.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 01:10 PM   #50
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
So you guys have advice on how to keep the AD fluffed until the eventual money shot.

Nice!!!

Contrats on getting on the list:)
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 01:43 PM   #51
2x4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
I have never been put on a list. When the SA or store manger would sense I didn’t see anything I liked they would ask what I was looking for. I told them and made sure they understood that I was ready to buy NOW.
It’s amazing what just came in and is in the safe.
2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 01:54 PM   #52
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Grovel for your little Rollie ... There is your tip.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 02:22 PM   #53
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubg21 View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, exhibit A

+1
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 02:33 PM   #54
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
I agree Neef.

Its all about attitude....

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 02:57 PM   #55
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Its not about groveling. The AD simply holds the popular models for the elite customer, The customer that spends the most money. It makes perfect sense.

The same exact thing happens at a luxury Car dealership. The steady customer who always buys the latest model is always offered the next model as soon as its available.

Dam got my first Rolex at 22... 114060 5% discount from AD. I’m sure if I would’ve spoken to the family around me they would’ve said the same thing about being too young to have a luxury watch. Glad I didn’t listen...my money practically sat like a saving account on my wrist for the last 3 years. Through this hobby I’ve managed to build up a saving through the watches I’ve purchased and yes I’ve taken a hit on a few but also managed to make up for it with the hard to get models I do own. I couldn’t think of any other hobby where I would’ve lost less. Also very easy to liquidate with minimal loss if you purchased for the right price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:14 PM   #56
waynorth
"TRF" Member

I just ask for what I want. Never waited more than a couple of months for a watch. Not a big spender here, don't buy jewelry from them. This is Alaska though, so locals take care of locals. Alaska is a small town, and everyone co-mingles: oil execs, doctors, teachers, fishermen. No one is special here.
waynorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:55 PM   #57
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
I just ask for what I want. Never waited more than a couple of months for a watch. Not a big spender here, don't buy jewelry from them. This is Alaska though, so locals take care of locals. Alaska is a small town, and everyone co-mingles: oil execs, doctors, teachers, fishermen. No one is special here.

Looks like I’m moving is it cold all the time?

AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 05:03 AM   #58
DPE
"TRF" Member

What happened to the Buyer saying. "Find me the watch first and I will be buying more off you, please give me a call when to collect" ??????
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 12:23 PM   #59
waynorth
"TRF" Member

Define cold? In the summer 75 is too hot for me, but the constant daylight is great.
waynorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 12:35 PM   #60
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

I am sorry. These threads are becoming so exhausting. I have come around to the idea that the so called famine is the universe encouraging all of us to explore other brands and taste more of the rainbow. I’ve had the opportunity to more appreciate Seiko, Lange, Omega, and even Bvlgari.

Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote