The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2022, 10:43 AM   #1
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Will RSC do a dial change?

You used to be able to bring a watch to RSC and have them change a dial, as long as that dial was offered for that particular reference. I've had a DJ36 on order for my g/f for 9 months and thinking about buying BNIB from a trusted seller and just sending to RSC and having the dial she wants installed. I have yet to see this dial at one of the trusted sellers and my AD insists they've never seen one but that they've ordered it. The bracelet/bezel combination isn't too hard to find for a few thousand over MSRP, which at this point I'm okay with.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 10:50 AM   #2
Watch_a_holic
"TRF" Member

Watch: a_holic
Yes RSC can change DJ and DD dials. I've changed my white dial DJ41 to a Rodium one. They won't do it for ANY sport model.
Watch_a_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 10:52 AM   #3
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

That's a super vague question without any details, so the answer is "sometimes." Wanna swap a Tiffany dial on your black OP, and the answer is no. Wanna swap between black or white on your 116500, the answer is no. Change RG DD to an olive dial, the answer is no...etc. There are many that they will swap, and many that they will not, even if was offered on that model.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 11:06 AM   #4
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

The US RSC have very specific rules about dial swaps.

I've asked and they can order any dial that was originally made for the reference but they often require the watch to have a full service. Also no upgrades such as diamond dials if the current dial is plain. They also keep the current dial when doing the swap and will often keep the watch on site while the dial is being ordered which could be several weeks or even a month or two if the dial has to come from Geneva. You can't pay and preorder.

Some other countries have different policies and loopholes which leads to people sending their watches overseas to get it done.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 12:48 PM   #5
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Just call RSC and ask them in your particular case before buying the watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 12:59 PM   #6
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Does anyone know how long the RSCs keep dials in stock, once the dial has been discontinued? For example, my DJ has a Sundust stick dial, which was discontinued last year on all DJs except for the 41mm. If I should ever want or need a new dial -- let's say my watch is lost or stolen and I get a replacement DJ but it won't have a Sundust dial -- will I be able to get an RSC to service my watch and replace the dial with a Sundust dial, even if it's several years from now?
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 01:59 PM   #7
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenL View Post
Does anyone know how long the RSCs keep dials in stock, once the dial has been discontinued? For example, my DJ has a Sundust stick dial, which was discontinued last year on all DJs except for the 41mm. If I should ever want or need a new dial -- let's say my watch is lost or stolen and I get a replacement DJ but it won't have a Sundust dial -- will I be able to get an RSC to service my watch and replace the dial with a Sundust dial, even if it's several years from now?

From what I understand, they keep parts for about 30 years from production. I do not know how it is measured as some models are produced for 10-15 years.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 03:42 PM   #8
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

If you look at some of the Rolex dial charts some of the designs say Invalid Purchase which means they are discontinued.

However I suspect they still have stock in Geneva but just refuse to sell them.
Old 13 March 2022, 04:03 PM   #9
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
You used to be able to bring a watch to RSC and have them change a dial, as long as that dial was offered for that particular reference. I've had a DJ36 on order for my g/f for 9 months and thinking about buying BNIB from a trusted seller and just sending to RSC and having the dial she wants installed. I have yet to see this dial at one of the trusted sellers and my AD insists they've never seen one but that they've ordered it. The bracelet/bezel combination isn't too hard to find for a few thousand over MSRP, which at this point I'm okay with.
I asked them just a few weeks back about the same thing. All you need to do is walk in with the watch and ask.

Just so you know, if they see a service is necessary they will ask you to pay for that as well.

You may be better off trying to find the dial here or on the bay, etc. I found a dial for my wife's 116201 with ease online and had a local watchmaker install it.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 06:26 PM   #10
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Some of those rare dials cost as much as a watch on the grey market now.
Old 13 March 2022, 06:53 PM   #11
winst
"TRF" Member

I looked at changing an Explorer 214270 MK1 dial & hands to MK2 by UK RSC. I was told I could keep the original dial and hands as well if you pay an additional charge of 50% of the new dial replacement cost.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 01:12 AM   #12
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses; I’ll call RSC and see what they say. It not a rare dial, the pink Roman with diamonds at 6 & 9, but I’m approaching a year waiting for it.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 01:53 AM   #13
Mags01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
Thanks for all the responses; I’ll call RSC and see what they say. It not a rare dial, the pink Roman with diamonds at 6 & 9, but I’m approaching a year waiting for it.
You’ve been waiting for close to a year for the pink diamond dial watch? Strange, because when I went to order my DJ36 in Jan, my SA told me that if I order the pink/silver/purple dial with diamond 6 and 9, then I would get it the fastest of all dials.
Mags01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 03:57 AM   #14
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Just have the original dial refinished in any color you want who cares its your watch.
Coronette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 01:56 AM   #15
noche619
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
I asked them just a few weeks back about the same thing. All you need to do is walk in with the watch and ask.

Just so you know, if they see a service is necessary they will ask you to pay for that as well.

You may be better off trying to find the dial here or on the bay, etc. I found a dial for my wife's 116201 with ease online and had a local watchmaker install it.
I asked my local watch repair guy (recommended here on the forum) about this. He said not a good idea. I don't recall the reason.
noche619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 03:47 AM   #16
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Depends on the dial. No shortcuts in moving up to the hyped dials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 03:50 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The last time I sent a watch to RSC for a dial change was in 2014. It was a DJ 2 and I changed the dial (and the hands) from the Roman’s to Index (lume hands as well).

Hopefully someone has more current intel
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote