The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 August 2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Trip to Florida, advice needed

I'm planning a trip to Florida for my b'day in Feb next year.

We're thinking of flying to Orlando, then head down to Key West and Miami and then back to London.

Is a week enough? Or do we need 3-4 days in Orlando and 4-5 days in the Keys/Miami so more like 10?

Old 3 August 2010, 06:17 AM   #2
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Keep in mind the drive from Orlando to Miami is 3-4hrs (that is if you are driving down) Unless you are traveling with children, I would spend less time in Orlando and more in Miami but that's just me

Have a nice holiday
Old 3 August 2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1@160@alltimes View Post
Keep in mind the drive from Orlando to Miami is 3-4hrs (that is if you are driving down) Unless you are traveling with children, I would spend less time in Orlando and more in Miami but that's just me

Have a nice holiday

This s true. Miami is basically beaches, clubs and restaurants. I've lived here and never really enjoyed any museums. Lots of beautiful parks though. Try to visit, obviously, Miami Beach but Coconut Grove is very nice as well. IMO Key West is good for 2 or 3 days. It will take you some 3 hours to drive down there. You can't speed down the keys. Cops will give you a ticket really quick if you go 5mph over the speed limit. The Keys are very very laid back and they like to keep it that way. No tolerance for speeding. Some of the BEST fishing and seafood restaurants are up and down the Keys.

If you have any particular spot, let me know and I will tell if it is worth the time.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Pep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2010, 06:30 AM   #4
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post
This s true. Miami is basically beaches, clubs and restaurants. I've lived here and never really enjoyed any museums. Lots of beautiful parks though. Try to visit, obviously, Miami Beach but Coconut Grove is very nice as well. IMO Key West is good for 2 or 3 days. It will take you some 3 hours to drive down there. You can't speed down the keys. Cops will give you a ticket really quick if you go 5mph over the speed limit. The Keys are very very laid back and they like to keep it that way. No tolerance for speeding. Some of the BEST fishing and seafood restaurants are up and down the Keys.

If you have any particular spot, let me know and I will tell if it is worth the time.
I friggin love Miami!!! One day I will live there
Old 3 August 2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1@160@alltimes View Post
I friggin love Miami!!! One day I will live there

It is a fast paced city. Much like Manhattan. Not as fast but much more than most major cities in the US. The good thing is, is that there is always something to do. A festival, a city promotion, concerts and everything in between.

Prick #8
Old 3 August 2010, 06:37 AM   #6
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep04 View Post
It is a fast paced city. Much like Manhattan. Not as fast but much more than most major cities in the US. The good thing is, is that there is always something to do. A festival, a city promotion, concerts and everything in between.
Yup, agree 100%. It has great energy to it.
Old 3 August 2010, 06:49 AM   #7
thewelshm
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dateless & Daytona
I suppose the first question is " do you have kids"? If you do then Orlando and the Theme park thing may be the way to go? If not and you like STRAIGHT roads Miami is the place, Me I would book 10 days, you already will lose one on the way

thewelshm
Old 3 August 2010, 07:24 AM   #8
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
I'm planning a trip to Florida for my b'day in Feb next year.

We're thinking of flying to Orlando, then head down to Key West and Miami and then back to London.

Is a week enough? Or do we need 3-4 days in Orlando and 4-5 days in the Keys/Miami so more like 10?

Try Orlando-Sanford airport,I think it will be cheaper and you'll be ony 30 min. from Orlando.

p club member #9
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2010, 07:41 AM   #9
enronforme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love 'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewelshm View Post
I suppose the first question is " do you have kids"? If you do then Orlando and the Theme park thing may be the way to go? If not and you like STRAIGHT roads Miami is the place, Me I would book 10 days, you already will lose one on the way

thewelshm
STRAIGHT roads! How true- everything is a grid in Miami- certainly made my life easier as a repo man back in the '80's! If you're in Miami, go to the Venetian pool and the Biltmore (both in Coral Gables)- it'll take you back to another age!
Bob J
enronforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2010, 07:42 AM   #10
enronforme
"TRF" Member

ps. you can also check out where my avatar tells you to go! :)
Old 3 August 2010, 07:47 AM   #11
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by enronforme View Post
ps. you can also check out where my avatar tells you to go! :)

Toledo?
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2010, 07:49 AM   #12
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post
Toledo?
L J?

p club member #9
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2010, 11:53 AM   #13
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I prefer Orlando over Miami and a full week (7 days) in Orlando is sufficient. In Orlando, you have the usual tourist places (Disneyworld, Universal and Sea World etc), but you can also drive out and visit Cape Canaveral (NASA Kennedy Space Center) and lovely Cocoa Beach, for a real "laid back, small town" feel.

Disneyworld alone can set you back 3 days !

Have fun !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2010, 12:04 PM   #14
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I would make it 10 days because of jetlag, and having so much to see, and do. Miami, and the keys are the way to go. I probably wouldn't spend much time north, and head to the keys.
It is beautiful down there!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2010, 04:15 PM   #15
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Not only is Miami a far hike from Orlando, but factor in the fact that Key West is another 3 hour drive. It's great, but it's a hike. Other keys are less time of course.

I do Christmas in Miami with the in-laws most years. I truly believe that the winter months are the best ones to go there, coming from Chicago I hate the summer heat (but most of the locals do too). My one gripe about Miami has always been the over-emphasis on "bling" and the lack of real culture (probably a symptom of a largely immigrant population) -- but then again I'm coming from a city such things are in wild abundance. The museums and the arts are scant in my opinion, but the clubbing is second to none.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2010, 04:26 PM   #16
TRW
Banned

Watch: 16623 YM
Anders,go to Key West and hang out for as long as you can take it.Park the Car,buy a few bicycles and hang out at Sloppy Joe's And The Hogs Breath saloon for about 5 days or so.Drink,Nap,Drink,Nap,Drink,N.......You get the pictureAnd BTW,This coming from a guy who grew up there
TRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2010, 04:29 PM   #17
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Seriously, skip orlando....

Unless youre disney inclined, there is nothing to see there....
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2010, 08:10 PM   #18
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Thanks all!

Regarding your questions: no kids, we'll both be 30/31 at that time so just want to chill and hang out. GF wants to do all the theme parks and I just want to shoot down to the Keys and hang out, so I guess I'll take your advice and spend time in both places (personally I couldn't give two sh*ts about Orlando as it will most probably be packed with pasty white Brits that we are trying to get away from anyway )

We'll probably fly from Orlando to Key West and then drive up to Miami. Don't mind the distances (used to live in Australia) and KW-Miami looks like an amazing drive (and plenty of lobster to be demolished on the way).

And the cool bit, by February I will have a Daytona so will obviously be cruising up to Daytona Beach to get a snap of the beauty in front of the sign
Old 3 August 2010, 08:22 PM   #19
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
Palm Beach for a few days, then Ocean Reef club for a few weeks. Our February ritual, been doing it for years and never tire of it.

-Eddie
Old 4 August 2010, 02:02 AM   #20
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Anders, sounds like you need to plan for two trips or two weeks as you could spend a week at both locations(Orlando, KW and Miami!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2010, 02:13 AM   #21
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
well, since no kids,
Orlando parks for 2 days, then Miami South Beach, Sunny Isles (North Miami) for few days, then 2 days islamorada Key and Key West.
one more thing to consider: 1 day cruise to Bahamas
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2010, 05:46 AM   #22
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtooth73 View Post
well, since no kids,
Orlando parks for 2 days, then Miami South Beach, Sunny Isles (North Miami) for few days, then 2 days islamorada Key and Key West.
one more thing to consider: 1 day cruise to Bahamas
good point... we're probably looking at 10 days - don't mind! The weather in the UK is shite at that time of the year
Old 4 August 2010, 06:38 AM   #23
enronforme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post
Toledo?
Da U, leo, da U! (not my fault I'm stuck up here in Toledo- but gotta say it's a good place to raise kids). Can't wait for 9/11- OSU vs. UM- gonna be sweet!
Old 4 August 2010, 08:47 AM   #24
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Not only is Miami a far hike from Orlando, but factor in the fact that Key West is another 3 hour drive. It's great, but it's a hike. Other keys are less time of course.

I do Christmas in Miami with the in-laws most years. I truly believe that the winter months are the best ones to go there, coming from Chicago I hate the summer heat (but most of the locals do too). My one gripe about Miami has always been the over-emphasis on "bling" and the lack of real culture (probably a symptom of a largely immigrant population) -- but then again I'm coming from a city such things are in wild abundance. The museums and the arts are scant in my opinion, but the clubbing is second to none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Thanks all!

SO, Miami has no culture because of the immigrants??? Dude, you really know nothing about this city. The Holocaust Memorial, Deering Estates, Spanish Monistary, Biscayne Park, Coral Castle, Hidden, The Gold Coast Railroad Museum, Lummus Park Beach, Freedom Tower, Old Grove, Romero Britto Gallery, Venetian Pool, Coral Gables Art District just to name a few. Yes Miami has nothing on Europe or Manhattan in the way of art, but to say that the lack of culture is a result of immigrants is simply an ignorant statement. Miami was built by Hispanic and Jewish immigrants respectively. Miami was a one horse town.

No offense taken, don't get me wrong. But, don't dismiss Miami as a shallow empty city full of Paris Hiltons or other socialites. There is a lot more to this city

SO, Miami has no culture because of the immigrants??? Dude, you really know nothing about this city. The Holocaust Memorial, Deering Estates, Spanish Monistary, Biscayne Park, Coral Castle, Hidden, The Gold Coast Railroad Museum, Lummus Park Beach, Freedom Tower, Old Grove, Romero Britto Gallery, Venetian Pool, Coral Gables Art District just to name a few. Yes Miami has nothing on Europe or Manhattan in the way of art, but to say that the lack of culture is a result of immigrants is simply an ignorant statement. Miami was built by Hispanic and Jewish immigrants respectively. Miami was a one horse town.

No offense taken, don't get me wrong. But, don't dismiss Miami as a shallow empty city full of Paris Hiltons or other socialites. There is a lot more to this city.

Regarding your questions: no kids, we'll both be 30/31 at that time so just want to chill and hang out. GF wants to do all the theme parks and I just want to shoot down to the Keys and hang out, so I guess I'll take your advice and spend time in both places (personally I couldn't give two sh*ts about Orlando as it will most probably be packed with pasty white Brits that we are trying to get away from anyway )

We'll probably fly from Orlando to Key West and then drive up to Miami. Don't mind the distances (used to live in Australia) and KW-Miami looks like an amazing drive (and plenty of lobster to be demolished on the way).

And the cool bit, by February I will have a Daytona so will obviously be cruising up to Daytona Beach to get a snap of the beauty in front of the sign

As for parks in Orlando. Islands of Adventure is the best for your age. Lots of rides and not many little kids. You do need to try Disney World, however.

On your way up from Key West, you need to stop at The Green Turtle Inn and try the gator steak and at Whale Harbor for their all you can eat crabs. If you come in February, there will be no fresh lobster. For lobsters, you need to be here after the first week of August.

PM me if you want any info or specific details.

Prick #8
Old 4 August 2010, 08:51 AM   #25
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post

No offense taken, don't get me wrong. But, don't dismiss Miami as a shallow empty city full of Paris Hiltons or other socialites. There is a lot more to this city

Prick #8
Old 4 August 2010, 08:59 AM   #26
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dweller View Post
I prefer Orlando over Miami and a full week (7 days) in Orlando is sufficient. In Orlando, you have the usual tourist places (Disneyworld, Universal and Sea World etc), but you can also drive out and visit Cape Canaveral (NASA Kennedy Space Center) and lovely Cocoa Beach, for a real "laid back, small town" feel.

Disneyworld alone can set you back 3 days !

Have fun !
I agree.......and don't forget that Daytona beach is very close also.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2010, 09:45 PM   #27
Puffy
"TRF" Member

giving this thread a nudge..

flights booked - yeehaa! Planning on two days in Orlando, fly down to KW for two days there and then drive up to Miami and spend two days there.

Where is good to stay in Orlando? need somewhere central as we're not planning on hiring a car.

Any tips on KW and Miami also welcome
Old 29 October 2010, 11:57 PM   #28
Tunacan26
Banned

Watch: Hulk, DJ, Bluesy
You making time for some quality time in the DavidSW store??
Tunacan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2010, 12:23 AM   #29
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunacan26 View Post
You making time for some quality time in the DavidSW store??
no need to when he can deliver straight to my desk