The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2024, 01:18 AM   #1
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
Buying a metal bracelet watch with 2-3 missing links (including platinum)

You occasionally see a gray market metal bracelet watch being sold at a discount because the seller discloses it is missing 2-3 links. This is worse for Rolex because a factory Daytona bracelet is significantly smaller than a factory Nautilus (or so I experienced).

If the price is attractive enough, the seller is reputable enough and the papers are complete (implying the links were lost, not that the watch was stolen without the box and spare links), would it make sense to take the hit, purchase the watch and order replacement links from the service center?

Does this make more sense if the watch is unused or practically unused, so the new links will not look odd beside the original ones? (Or if you are planning to have the watch polished, is that a consideration?)

If this actually makes sense, is the question more difficult if the bracelet is precious metal not steel, and more so platinum? Replacement links are priced exorbitantly.

I imagine you could try asking around if someone with a small wrist is willing to sell excess links but imagine few will want to do this.

Or, are there less obvious considerations that make this a headache not worth taking on, which is why watches with missing links are priced at a discount?
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 01:50 AM   #2
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
it all comes down to the price. if the price is right considering the missing links, you can buy with confident.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 01:54 AM   #3
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
If that's straightforward, then isn't there an objective amount of discount you would apply to a watch with missing links? The seller could literally just tell you how much Rolex would charge to replace the links and that he'd rather offer the discount and let the buyer deal with it and figure out how many links he needs? Both buyer and seller could point to this objective amount as the fair discount and it's hard to argue (of course, you would negotiate the base price)?

Or this all makes sense and the guy with the small wrist has an advantage if he comes across this kind of used watch?
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 02:22 AM   #4
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I would only buy the watch if I could wear it with the amount of links provided. For example, all my modern Rolex is fitted to my wrist with 2 links removed. So I would possibly (assuming price) be ok with purchasing a modern Rolex with 2 missing links since I could still wear the watch right away.

I would never consider buying the watch if 3 or more links were missing and I would have to wait until I found those needed links before I could wear the watch. It would be torture to buy a watch that I couldn’t wear.

But all that said, it would have to be a very good price from a very reputable dealer for me to consider buying a modern Rolex (2010 or later) with missing links. Just too many available as full sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 02:25 AM   #5
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Buying a metal bracelet watch with 2-3 missing links (including platinum)

Also, to add to my above post, I would never buy MODERN Rolex with missing links AND missing papers. Too high of a chance that watch was stolen off someone’s wrist. And even the most reputable grey dealers do not have access to the Rolex stolen watch database.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 02:39 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrançoisCzapek View Post
If that's straightforward, then isn't there an objective amount of discount you would apply to a watch with missing links? The seller could literally just tell you how much Rolex would charge to replace the links and that he'd rather offer the discount and let the buyer deal with it and figure out how many links he needs? Both buyer and seller could point to this objective amount as the fair discount and it's hard to argue (of course, you would negotiate the base price)?

Or this all makes sense and the guy with the small wrist has an advantage if he comes across this kind of used watch?
You can ask for anything, it doesn't mean you will get it.

If you count all the links and tell the seller you want a discount because it is missing a link the seller may easily move on to the next buyer, or he could decide that there is enough there to reduce the price.

There are no set price points in used products and no set discounts.
Old 21 May 2024, 10:12 PM   #7
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
My golden rule in this lovely hobby of ours is this: If you're going to treat yourself, treat yourself.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 10:36 PM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Does it still fit? If it does, the lost links are a non-issue if the price reflects the missing links.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 10:45 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
My golden rule in this lovely hobby of ours is this: If you're going to treat yourself, treat yourself.
love this and 100% agree
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 01:24 AM   #10
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
If it fits you ok and the price is right I don’t really see a problem
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 02:21 AM   #11
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

From seeing some social media watch accounts, it's not lost links, it's straight up skimming by these sleazy grey dealers. It's particularly prominent with PM watches.

I can't help but laugh when I see a Moda post: WG Nautilus, box, papers, retail ready, one link short... GTFOH haha. That one link just walked away huh?
Tylerlsu2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 02:28 AM   #12
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
If the price is right and it fits you I wouldn't fuss too much.
If it doesn't fit look at what new links will cost and see if the price is still worth that added hassle.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 11:07 AM   #13
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I wouldn’t buy a watch with missing links, period! I don’t want the hassle of having to replace them. I need everything to be correct.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 11:40 AM   #14
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
This, absolutely.

A luxury item purchase isn’t a luxury if I have to keep track of the nickels and dimes.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote