The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2024, 01:28 AM   #1
Veecheaux
"TRF" Member

Men’s Rolex - recommendations needed

Hi Folks,

My husband and I were gifted his and hers Rolexes (gold and stainless Oyster model) as an engagement present from my parents in 1993. My husband never really took to his (finding it heavy and uncomfortable), and the watch was left in its original box on a shelf for years—until Hurricane Katrina, when it was stolen from our house after evacuating. We now have our own soon-to-be son-in-law we are looking to gift a Rolex to, or any like-brand watch. A quality timepiece that holds its value, but should be lighter in weight than the Rolex Oyster. I would appreciate any and all recommendations.

A New Orleanian
Veecheaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 02:54 AM   #2
Napoleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO / Sub / Polar
I don’t think you’ll find too many that wear lighter than that (assume it was a Datejust model)… but a full stainless steel Datejust model on jubilee bracelet feel very slightly lighter. Another option would be a 36mm Explorer.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 02:56 AM   #3
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
How about a Date-Just with a Jubilee bracelet? Although I don't think your soon to be son-in-law will find a Rolex with Oyster bracelet too heavy so a Sub would be a a good choice
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 02:58 AM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
All of my favourite watches are sports watches and are either Rolex or vintage Tudor and have held their value or increased because I’ve had them years but that’s not a guarantee that always happens. A five digit Rolex watch is a good size in my opinion
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 02:59 AM   #5
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

How big is he? A 36mm might not be the right size.
Secondly, getting a new Rolex has its difficulties as you probably know, but you could go grey market and pay a premium, up to you. Of course there are other brands.
Finally, picking out a watch to satisfy his taste could be tough. If you still want to go this route, maybe you could drop some hints and see his reaction. For all you know, he may not like wearing a watch. I know many married men who wear neither their wedding band nor a watch.
Just re-read your post, you want something lightweight, perhaps look at Cartier, they have beautiful pieces and lightweight.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 03:04 AM   #6
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
The correct answer is Submariner Date.

This is one of the most iconic watches of all time, will never go out of style, and can be worn for any occasion.
Old 11 February 2024, 03:09 AM   #7
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Titanium Tudor Pelagos
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 03:26 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Sorry to hear your husband's Rolex did not suit him and was later stolen being unworn. The new Rolex are actually heavier with the solid links. You may to check out other brands.

Welcome to the Forum.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 03:35 AM   #9
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Definitely stick to Rolex and a SS Submariner is a great choice. Rolex is the brand to go to. By no means is a SS Submariner heavy. Full gold ones are heavy.

A new one cannot be bought from an AD without a long waiting game and everything that comes with it.
Check out the boutique sellers in the for sale section on TRF and buy a new unworn 126610 from them. It’s a small premium for a lifetime enjoyment and a drama free buying experience.
Personally I would never gift anything second hand so previous models are out of the equation.
Old 11 February 2024, 03:35 AM   #10
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I think your husband's experience is relevant here. He was gifted a watch he didn't want and didn't wear by the sound of this, are you sure you want to do the same to your son in law?

I know it takes the surprise out of things, but it might be better to ask if he actually wants a watch as a gift.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 03:42 AM   #11
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Titanium Tudor Pelagos
This is a great answer, I was waiting for someone to chime in on titanium. You get the “big” look without the big weight. Unfortunately the Rolex YM titanium will not be easy to get, so this is a great option.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 03:45 AM   #12
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Just because your husband had an issue, with the weight of his Rolex, years ago, does not mean your son-in-law will. If I were to pick out a Rolex, without knowing a man’s taste, I’d get him the iconic black dial Submariner date. You really can’t go wrong with that choice. A 41 mm Datejust is another good choice, but a dressier piece, and a younger guys might consider it a bit old fashioned.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 04:33 AM   #13
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post

This is one of the most iconic watches of all time, will never go out of style, and can be worn for any occasion.
I’d go Submariner, no date but that’s a personal preference because I have other Rolex watches with a date complication.

If you want light, other than the brand new titanium yacht master, which is presently extremely difficult to find,, Rolex isn’t your brand unless you don’t get a metal bracelet

Rolex offers watches on leather straps and also a rubber type called Oysterflex. They are substantially less heavy.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 05:01 AM   #14
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I think your husband's experience is relevant here. He was gifted a watch he didn't want and didn't wear by the sound of this, are you sure you want to do the same to your son in law?

I know it takes the surprise out of things, but it might be better to ask if he actually wants a watch as a gift.
This…

Obviously a lot of guys here have many watches, but there are also “one watch” guys….some opt for the sporty Submariner and GMTs, and others are DateJust guys. Either line is perfect. As you mentioned weight, I’m sticking with the SS lines. But, of course, there is the SkyDweller, which mixes sport and classic lines, and the Day Date, Daytona, etc.

My husband has a Submariner and a GMT. He loves them both, and I know he has no desire for a DateJust. If I gifted him a Day Date, I’m certain he wouldn’t wear it. A friend is a major Rolex collector, and he pretty much sticks with the sportier watches as well. I know another guy who absolutely loves his rose gold SkyDweller, and has no interest in the sports watches.

That being said, if I were tasked with buying a Rolex for a guy under 35 today, I’d go with the SS Submariner. I think it would have the highest success rate.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 01:23 PM   #15
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
I would go for the sub no date. Very elegant balanced watch which is timeless and will always be in style.

Happy hunting for your son in law!
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 01:51 PM   #16
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veecheaux View Post
A quality timepiece that holds its value, but should be lighter in weight than the Rolex Oyster. I would appreciate any and all recommendations.
Welcome to the forum.

Coming in at half the weight of a 41 mm Oyster Perpetual is the new Yacht-Master 42mm in Titanium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 03:23 PM   #17
TBS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & Pelagos42
Quote:
Titanium Tudor Pelagos
I second the Pelagos. Great watches.

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk
TBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 03:35 PM   #18
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Folks,

My husband and I were gifted his and hers Rolexes (gold and stainless Oyster model) as an engagement present from my parents in 1993. My husband never really took to his (finding it heavy and uncomfortable), and the watch was left in its original box on a shelf for years—until Hurricane Katrina, when it was stolen from our house after evacuating. We now have our own soon-to-be son-in-law we are looking to gift a Rolex to, or any like-brand watch. A quality timepiece that holds its value, but should be lighter in weight than the Rolex Oyster. I would appreciate any and all recommendations.

A New Orleanian
OP I am sorry but unless your son-in-law is already loaded then I would not buy them a Rolex, just give them cash instead. Starting a new marriage is tough and expensive and everything costs money such as houses, cars, honeymoons. Having 6-12k trapped inside a Rolex may be of great sentimental value TO YOU (it's your emotion driving this purchase), but it will likely be impractical for him and your daughter. Give them money to spend.

Quote:

How does her husbands experience translate to her future son in laws? They are not the same person.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 04:19 PM   #19
Dodgertwin
"TRF" Member

Tudor Pelagos 39

I’d recommend the titanium Tudor Pelagos 39. By far the lightest watch I have that can work in both casual or dressy situations. It doesn’t break the bank at $4.7K.
Dodgertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 09:50 PM   #20
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Submariner!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 10:16 PM   #21
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
The most comfortable of all Rolexes would be this one, the 16570.

Old 11 February 2024, 10:21 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

Rolex, mechanical watches are heavy(relatively speaking) unless they are made from titanium as others have pointed out.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:05 PM   #23
THC

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Hi Folks,

A New Orleanian
Howdy, Neighbor… Happy Mardi Gras // welcome to TRF

I echo the Submariner
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:11 PM   #24
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Maybe a SS Datejust on jubilee bracelet? Wears smaller and lighter and can be used in any and all situations.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:26 PM   #25
TinFoilCat
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Ingenieur 3508
If it is weight that matters then titanium is a good option, like others have said, the Tudor Pelagos is a great watch and the 39mm model would work if he has a smaller wrist…. I would be a little surprised though of the SS Sub was too heavy, it wears beautifully and is such an icon that it will never look old or out of place.
TinFoilCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 01:58 AM   #26
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post

How does her husbands experience translate to her future son in laws? They are not the same person.
Don't you try to learn from other people's experiences?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 02:02 AM   #27
EmJay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
36mm datejust on jubilee
EmJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 02:16 AM   #28
Flypanam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Titanium Tudor Pelagos
This is a good consideration, especially for the lightness. The 42mm Pelagos is on the larger size and looks very much like a tool watch. I have one and love it, but it's not exactly versatile. The newer 39mm Pelagos would be a good option for OP if weight is a real concern.

In terms of the titanium yachtmaster that was mentioned... lol. Good luck getting one of those from an AD or elsewhere for anywhere near retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post

Agree with this as an option, especially a 5 digit sub. The newer ones are wonderful, but in terms of a wearable size, great versatility, and charming looks I think a neo-vintage sub or sub date in good condition with a recent service is awesome. You can wear one anywhere, and though it's not a dress watch, popular opinion is that it looks good in a formal setting. Although... I guess I'm biased.

A datejust is another good option, though it does look more dressy. It can absolutely be a daily-wearer depending on one's style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16610 jpg.jpg (225.9 KB, 175 views)
Tudor: Pelagos 42 Blue; North Flag; BB GMT
Best of the rest: Zenith Defy Classic Skeleton; Panerai Luminor PAM1085 Blu Mare; Hermes H08 Madison LE; Grand Seiko Soko SBGA429; Breitling Chronomat 40 GMT
Flypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 05:29 AM   #29
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Another decent watch would be a Tudor Black Bay ceramic. Ceramic case with a strap is going to be light.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 06:45 AM   #30
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don't you try to learn from other people's experiences?
Not when it comes to things that are entirely personal and subjective, no.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote