The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 November 2014, 03:01 PM   #1
night
"TRF" Member

Need help with this 5500 Explorer

I am kind of a newb but I have found a 5500 in my local area. Is this original? Seller say it is from late 1970's which is later than the period they stop producing them. Would buy in a heart beat. Seller wants 3750
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex explorer.jpg (43.9 KB, 242 views)
night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The 5500 Explorers are notorious. They used a 5500 Air King case, and most examples found today are re-dialed Air Kings. I would avoid it.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 03:12 PM   #3
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
If my own mother had one for sale, and she said she bought it from an AD, I still wouldn't buy it.

Avoid this at all costs
Old 17 November 2014, 03:18 PM   #4
night
"TRF" Member

I appreciate it! I can't seem to find much literature on them and I think the 5500 is just a gorgeous piece. This person has many other pieces for sale will most likely opt out. Thanks again!
night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 04:37 PM   #5
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Unless it is AirKing type money maybe but definately not for 3750.
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Paul
"TRF" Member

If it helps .....

Firstly, the 5500 Explorer was offered by Rolex, nice examples do survive and the reference pops up in most good vintage Rolex publications.
The fellas are spot on though in that so many Air Kings have been converted to Explorers over the years, it's best to tread very carefully.

Secondly, the closest I've seen to anything remotely resembling a production run was around the early - mid 60s.
That's where I put my money when I bought a 5500 Explorer several years ago and I've seen two others within 20 digits of my watch's serial number since then.
Probably couldn't really call that a production run but I'll take it as a good omen

I'd still be very careful if I was buying an early 60s Explorer 5500 again .... and I'd probably avoid those from the 70s / 80s that pop up quite regularly.
Quite possibly completely legitimate 70s/ 80s Explorer 5500s out there but I just don't wan't to own a watch that has any doubt hovering over it

If it helps, most Air King / Explorer 5500 conversions that have been outed over the years have had dodgy text alignment - among other flaws.
So, as a basis for comparison, the market seemed to think this one on eBay was was AOK just a few weeks back.
21 individual bidders pushed the price up to GBP 2,956.00 / US $4,625.11 so either the watch was all good ..... or they were all fooled.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291281993902...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 07:34 PM   #7
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Firstly, the 5500 Explorer was offered by Rolex, nice examples do survive and the reference pops up in most good vintage Rolex publications.
The fellas are spot on though in that so many Air Kings have been converted to Explorers over the years, it's best to tread very carefully.

Secondly, the closest I've seen to anything remotely resembling a production run was around the early - mid 60s.
That's where I put my money when I bought a 5500 Explorer several years ago and I've seen two others within 20 digits of my watch's serial number since then.
Probably couldn't really call that a production run but I'll take it as a good omen

I'd still be very careful if I was buying an early 60s Explorer 5500 again .... and I'd probably avoid those from the 70s / 80s that pop up quite regularly.
Quite possibly completely legitimate 70s/ 80s Explorer 5500s out there but I just don't wan't to own a watch that has any doubt hovering over it

If it helps, most Air King / Explorer 5500 conversions that have been outed over the years have had dodgy text alignment - among other flaws.
So, as a basis for comparison, the market seemed to think this one on eBay was was AOK just a few weeks back.
21 individual bidders pushed the price up to GBP 2,956.00 / US $4,625.11 so either the watch was all good ..... or they were all fooled.

Wow, that is a big jump in price the last time I owned a 5500- almost double!!!!
I loved the way the 34mm looked even on my 8 inch wrist.
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 08:09 PM   #8
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i have owned both , i personally find 34mm a bit small , but i tend to treat them as a redial explorer ., and if thats the price , and you have a spare dial and hand set they can be a nice daily wear.
thats it ,,, personally though , id just buy a datejust , you get a date , the extra 2mm and a watch that isnt trying to be anything else ,,, add an explorer style dial to a dj if you want that look.

or if buying , there is the knowledge here , id say pick the brains of the experts , the dial king springs to mind , and ive just noticed hes put up some new dial pics as a reference ,, as ever , well done sir.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=382590
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 03:51 AM   #9
Paul
"TRF" Member

Edit to my previous post - something fishy is going on here ...

Previously on this thread, I linked to a recent eBay sale of an Explorer 5500 - a watch that was keenly bid, closing at GBP 2,956.00 / US $4,625.11.
The seller's blurb made careful reference to his watch being totally original and the market seemed to accept that ....

" ... 100% authentic and original Rolex 5500 explorer ... I ... will not offer a watch that is not authentic or as described, it is not worth my reputation ... "

In a strange coincidence, I see the seller now has another of these very rare watches up for sale. This one is being described as .....5500 AIRKING WITH 5500 EXPLORER DIAL FITTED ....

Quite possible of course - but unusual - to see a seller roll out two of these rare watches in such quick succession.
That said, please ignore my reference to any perceived ...fishy'ness ... in the topic bar.
I was a bit quick to pass judgement on what seems to be a well-regarded eBay seller and can't now edit the topic bar.

Link to original auction:

Link to new auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1969...item4188d15486
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 08:20 AM   #10
DiamondJack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few
Most of these are redialed Airkings and hold no real value.

The original 5500 Explorers were from the 60's and should come with a gilt dial and case back with 5500 stamped on it. They are relatively hard to find and will cost considerably more than the ones that keep popping up on eBay and the like.

So unless you are happy with that then leave it. Most will be original Rolex parts except for the dial and as any collector will tell you, the value of any vintage watch is predominantly in the dial.
DiamondJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 08:28 AM   #11
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
The 5500 Explorer is a unicorn. Only once have I ever been offered one with box, papers, and sales receipt. The sales reciept is the key operator. They exist but finding an honest one is very hard indeed
Old 18 November 2014, 08:54 AM   #12
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
If my own mother had one for sale, and she said she bought it from an AD, I still wouldn't buy it.
Old 18 November 2014, 09:07 AM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
i like how the dial lettering appears crooked, very unique piece.

and the bracelet has that slimness that you don't usually see on all the other watches from the brand…

very unique.
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 08:26 PM   #14
Kristian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk Submariner
Hi, I'm new to this site. So Hi ! I have just bought an 5500 Explorer waiting for it to arrive today. Just like the one I your pic. I am now a little worried I've bought a re dialed air king.
I have a 7 day money back option from the seller. No papers & it's a late 70s model! £1500
If I like it I may keep it as I don't think I've payed to much.
I would be greatful to hear what you all think & I will post a picture when I receive it.
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2014, 04:11 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
Hi, I'm new to this site. So Hi ! I have just bought an 5500 Explorer waiting for it to arrive today. Just like the one I your pic. I am now a little worried I've bought a re dialed air king.
I have a 7 day money back option from the seller. No papers & it's a late 70s model! £1500
I would be greatful to hear what you all think & I will post a picture when I receive it.
You should really start your own thread since most folks will read the original post and comment on that. You will not know if the answers are for you or not..

The price you paid is very reasonable regardless if the dial is redone or not. If it is not an original Explorer, then a fresh Air-King dial is also reasonable and could be fitted without issue.
Old 21 November 2014, 08:00 AM   #16
DiamondJack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
At that price, I would be 99% sure that it would be a redialed AirKing....or an absolutely fantastic bargain....... But as Larry (Tools) has said £1,500 is still a fair price providing you like the look of the watch. But if you think you're buying an original 5500 Explorer at a bargain basement price then think again....
DiamondJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2014, 10:03 AM   #17
Kristian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk Submariner
Another picture 😊
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.3 KB, 99 views)
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote