The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 April 2024, 03:42 AM   #61
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Beloved pursuits you no longer pursue.

I’m not sure it can be considered a “beloved pursuit” but I gave up cigar smoking.

As discussed in another active thread, I had open heart surgery 3.5 years ago. I had a defective valve that required surgical repair. I never had a heart attack or anything like that. Just a birth defect that got worse as I aged.

After the operation, I was in ICU thinking to myself, “I can’t wait to get home and smoke a cigar.” I know, ridiculous, right?

About two weeks after I got home, I finally smoked a cigar. For some reason, and I’m still not sure why, I got sick and started vomiting. It was awful. I haven’t smoked a cigar since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 06:08 AM   #62
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
golf is and always has been torture for me. my squirrel brain cannot take it. I need more stimulus.
I get it Seth. It's not for everyone but don't mistake golf to be a stimulus free activity. Especially competitive golf. If it hooks you and you start down the rabbit hole a lot of the stimulus is internally activated. To play the game well, you must in very short bursts of time process an enormous amount of information both external and internal. Then just as quickly make decisions and act on them. It teaches you to commit to your decisions, quite your mind, focus 100% on the next step and let your physical actions happen without cerebral interference. It's a skill set that translates well to other aspects of life.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 08:34 AM   #63
Porschen
"TRF" Member

I miss motorcycles. My favorite was my 1977 KZ1000, which I restored myself. Not fast compared to today’s sport bikes, but nothing sounded more wicked than the Kerker exhaust and 9,000 rpm.

As a new husband and soon to be dad and after enough close calls with distracted drivers, I decided to sell it (plus my Goldwing and KZ650) and shortly after bought my first Rolex (OP39 in White).

I did keep my 1974 Honda Trail 70 which I still ride around the neighborhood.

Porschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 08:50 AM   #64
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
It seems the largest percentage of people commenting in this thread are talking motorcycles. I too have come to a fork in the road concerning motorcycling . After riding for 50 years I sold my gsx-r 750 and R1 last year and now after not riding for months feel I have reached the end . I truly feel as thought I have lost a large part of my identity, from racing years ago to trackdays to Sunday morning mountain runs I have gone cold turkey . To be honest with myself I believe it’s the end of that part of my life . I still bicycle , hike and walk everyday and it will have to fill the void .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 08:51 AM   #65
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschen View Post
I miss motorcycles. My favorite was my 1977 KZ1000, which I restored myself. Not fast compared to today’s sport bikes, but nothing sounded more wicked than the Kerker exhaust and 9,000 rpm.

As a new husband and soon to be dad and after enough close calls with distracted drivers, I decided to sell it (plus my Goldwing and KZ650) and shortly after bought my first Rolex (OP39 in White).

Beautiful bike !
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 08:58 AM   #66
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
That was always the bike I wanted to own. Probably good that I didn't - might have more painful bits these days. That is a beautiful example in a gorgeous colour.
I couldn't have that sitting in my garage - too much of a temptation.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 09:40 AM   #67
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Apart from Football, badminton and cricket, the only hobby i had, and still do it at 75 is playing in bands/groups. Have done it now for about 63 years, unfortunately most of the clubs have gone now, there are only pub bookings now.
Old 20 April 2024, 11:32 AM   #68
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Motorcycles and Jiu Jitsu / Muy Thai sparring.

Motorcycles were a good thing to give up because I was hell on wheels. Never turned the key to my bike without hitting 100+ at least once a ride. Rode with friends crazier than me; was getting dressed for one’s funeral and got a phone call another had just been killed in a head on (passing on a double yellow @ 150mph into a semi). My wife told me that day it was her or the bike. Still happily married and have a beautiful 4 month old son now, so a worthy trade off, but there are definitely days I miss riding all out like that.

Did lots of Jiu Jitsu / muy Thai when I worked in LE. It was a lot of fun, and definitely came in handy more than once between my day job and moonlighting as a bouncer, but I kept getting nagging injuries and the fists and concrete are a lot harder on this side of 35 so I’ve hung it up for now. May try to get back into BJJ as our resident Moderator Ken (HL65) has been encouraging me to get back to the mat. We’ll see what happens with that!
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:30 PM   #69
TRS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Try cross country skiing. After years living in the mountains and skiing, boarding and tele-skiing at resorts, I am now 95% on cross country skis. Much, much easier on the body and you can enjoy nature without the obnoxious crowds.
I will keep this in mind as it makes sense! Thank you!
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:31 PM   #70
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschen View Post

Love those KZ’s. Yours is beautiful. You did a great job with it

The Kerker always sounded great, especially if it were open
Old 20 April 2024, 10:32 PM   #71
TRS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
Definitely haven’t lost my love for the mountains! That’s why I live in them. Also my true love of the mountains is exploring them on my dirt bikes and adventure bike. Now that’s an obsession I’ll never get bored off!

My boredom with snowboarding comes from no longer testing myself with the extreme side. Between my body not being able to handle the extreme and being on the mountain with the family (which I do love even if mellow), I’m stuck doing groomers and in-bound trees. On top of that, the crowds and stupidity of people on the mountain gets very tiring. I do get excited for an annual guys ski trip as we’re all a little nuts. Also going to Japan this winter for a ski trip and excited for that. Keep shredding as long as you can!
I can relate to most of this. Definitely keeping the shred near and dear to my heart as long as possible!!
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:39 PM   #72
BigTex22
"TRF" Member

Wine collecting for me. Spent over 10 years collecting high-end European and Cali wines only to find out I enjoyed the research and collecting more than the drinking. Stopped buying a few years back and am slowly drinking down our collection.

BigTex22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 01:24 AM   #73
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
It seems the largest percentage of people commenting in this thread are talking motorcycles. I too have come to a fork in the road concerning motorcycling . After riding for 50 years I sold my gsx-r 750 and R1 last year and now after not riding for months feel I have reached the end . I truly feel as thought I have lost a large part of my identity, from racing years ago to trackdays to Sunday morning mountain runs I have gone cold turkey . To be honest with myself I believe it’s the end of that part of my life . I still bicycle , hike and walk everyday and it will have to fill the void .
I agree. I made it to 72 but with the change of location it was too risky. The day I took it to the consignment motorcycle store, I got run off the road by a guy coming off the freeway and jumped into my lane because the guy in front of him was going the speed limit. I didn't dump it but was on the grass.

It was tough to let it go because of all the great times in wine country riding the backroads. There is no feeling like motorcycle riding, and no substitute. Visually, they're also a work of art, much like watches.

I guess you just have to appreciate the great times you had and move on, but I still "pine for the fjords" at times.
Old 21 April 2024, 01:57 AM   #74
Jimmy 2 Times
"TRF" Member

For those that gave up motorcycles couldn’t you substitute with a trike or those snowmobile type bikes I see out?

I’m not a motorcycle guy so I’m just asking but I thought that’s what trikes were for.
Jimmy 2 Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 02:23 AM   #75
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times View Post
For those that gave up motorcycles couldn’t you substitute with a trike or those snowmobile type bikes I see out?

I’m not a motorcycle guy so I’m just asking but I thought that’s what trikes were for.
For me it's not about being old and falling over, lol , its about the danger that cars inflict with speeding, the constant quick lane changes and distracted driving (cell phones etc).

I've never done a Polaris or a Bombardier 3 wheeler but they do look like fun. One of the most fun things with a motorcycle is the cornering at speed, and I think 3 wheelers don't really do that. Not sure though.
Old 21 April 2024, 02:55 AM   #76
NardinNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
For me it's not about being old and falling over, lol , its about the danger that cars inflict with speeding, the constant quick lane changes and distracted driving (cell phones etc).
This is exactly why I switched to adventure/dirt riding years ago. I’m obsessed with riding so no way I could give it up. I just changed to riding in the mountains away from most traffic/drivers. Now when I crash is because of me :). Granted I’m spoiled living in the Rockies and having some of the best motorcycle roads in the U.S. right out my door.
NardinNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 09:02 PM   #77
Jimmy 2 Times
"TRF" Member

Yeah I feel bad for the men that had to give up motorcycles. I never rode but always envied those that did but at 55 I’m not starting now. Wish I did when I was young because when I see people out riding they always look happy and content.

I feel the off road riding like above is far safer for the reasons he gave.
Jimmy 2 Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 02:36 AM   #78
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times View Post

I would honestly rather have a Guy Fieri-spec automatic yellow base model Corvette & Kirkland jeans than ride a trike. If I'm too old/weak/fat to ride a motorcycle, spending $35,000+ on a trike would be akin to setting it on fire IMO.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 04:07 AM   #79
Catatafish
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub 126610LV
Jiu Jitsu, motorcycles, private piloting....all in the past and I miss them all. Nowadays it's all about watches and guitars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-04-21 125856.jpg (50.8 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-04-21 130006.jpg (136.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-04-21 130223.jpg (173.3 KB, 181 views)
Catatafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:21 AM   #80
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice marmot View Post
Drinking
Bravo, mate

Last year after an "incident," the next morning I literally poured an entire collection of whisky & spirits down the drain. I reevaluated my drinking and notched it down with strict limits.

Being OCD has helped me stay on the wagon.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:25 AM   #81
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: 26
Motorcles. Long story, so in a nutshell I just don't ride anymore.

Electric guitar and playing in bands. Several years ago I was blindsided and betrayed by a close friend of several decades. With a smile on his face, he screwed me over for personal gain while we were collaborating on some musical projects. Changed my perception of humanity and friendships. Now I just occasionally pluck strings acoustically for personal amusement, but I shall never collaborate ever again.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 08:50 PM   #82
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Chasing Women. Has to pack that hobby away. Have one of those wife thingys.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:37 PM   #83
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Chasing Women. Has to pack that hobby away. Have one of those wife thingys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
... spending $35,000+ on a trike would be akin to setting it on fire IMO.
The coveted "mjb post of the day" award has a tie. Thanks for making me smile today.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 01:59 AM   #84
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I see a lot of posts about giving up motorcycles. I have never ridden them but I do have a Vespa. I had thought I gave up on scooters a few years ago. I live in a city and the potholes were killing me plus all the crazy drivers. But I just got the Vespa a month or so ago. So far the back is doing fine. Last scooter was a Genuine Buddy and although it was super fun those 10" wheels made for a harsh ride. Vespa is much better. Still crazy drivers but just have to be very observant. Makes the commute through the city so much faster with splitting lanes.
Old 26 April 2024, 02:04 PM   #85
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
As others have said, I too gave up on motorcycles due to bad drivers. Riding my Road bike to work, I used to get pushed off on to the dirt regularly, so I swapped to a Dirt bike so at least I would have some capacity for recovery, but that got treated with even less respect than the Road bike. At that point I decided that if my kids were to grow up with a Father, it was time to sell the bike.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 08:59 PM   #86
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
The coveted "mjb post of the day" award has a tie. Thanks for making me smile today.

Happy to help. Truth hurts dammit
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 11:46 PM   #87
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Pam90,SA2
Motorcycles
Desibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 12:08 AM   #88
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
I get it Seth. It's not for everyone but don't mistake golf to be a stimulus free activity. Especially competitive golf. If it hooks you and you start down the rabbit hole a lot of the stimulus is internally activated. To play the game well, you must in very short bursts of time process an enormous amount of information both external and internal. Then just as quickly make decisions and act on them. It teaches you to commit to your decisions, quite your mind, focus 100% on the next step and let your physical actions happen without cerebral interference. It's a skill set that translates well to other aspects of life.
please do forgive my choice of words.

I do realize how challenging it is as a sport. And I have endless respect for those that are good at it, and even more for those that have taken up the challenge to get good.

my comment was 100% meant to reflect my lack of ability to focus long enough to practice and get good.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 02:11 PM   #89
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

competitive sports. Spent many years involved in sports - first in track & field then in rugby. At the end the idea of no longer having to train seemed like heaven.

Golf is a colossal waste for me, ultimately had to stop because I just couldn't drink like that anymore. I have heard of people that do not drink on the course, I just never knew any.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM   #90
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Watches and cars. Both were huge passions of mine. Watches - prices have gotten insane and the manufactures have gotten lazy with their designs. Just not very interesting nowadays. Cars - medical issues and height have taken most of my options away. It's been soul-crushing at 30 yo.