The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2024, 10:07 AM   #31
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Open Floor Plans....how we got here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I agree some trends come and go, I’m just not sure most people want to go back to isolated rooms and boxy floor plans anymore. Especially with the size of homes now, that generally have room for offices, and things like entertainment rooms, where people can choose to disappear to.

I think the open concept “great room” usually with high ceilings is here to stay.

A friend of mine is a home builder and in Santa Rosa and after the fires destroyed an entire subdivision of around 3000 homes, most were the 1200 sq ft 3 bedroom bungalows. Everyone wanted a 4 bedroom open concept replacement, but unfortunately the lot size was not up to spec for what people expect today. So they changed the law to accommodate their wishes.

People just want that open concept design today.

I agree. Trends come and go and come back again. But I don’t think we’re ever going back to isolated rooms and boxy floor plans. It’s not like open floor plans are the latest trend. It’s been like 30 years now since they’ve largely displaced closed-in floor plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 05:24 PM   #32
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Keys bowl yes, shag perhaps not (tho depending on party type, large plastic sheeting could be a big plus to keep oils and such in check).

Oh, and ashtrays.

Seriously folks, a bit of courtesy goes a long way so put out some ashtrays BEFORE your guests arrive. Thank you.
Plastic sheeting......I will check my letterbox for invites.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 05:48 PM   #33
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I agree. Trends come and go and come back again. But I don’t think we’re ever going back to isolated rooms and boxy floor plans. It’s not like open floor plans are the latest trend. It’s been like 30 years now since they’ve largely displaced closed-in floor plans.

I agree no way known it will go back to a rabbit warren but I think a couple of closed off areas from main living/kitchen/meals can be handy, a little bit of Pentagon works.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 01:10 AM   #34
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
I agree no way known it will go back to a rabbit warren but I think a couple of closed off areas from main living/kitchen/meals can be handy, a little bit of Pentagon works.
Apparently in some high end homes now there is the open concept kitchen AND a closed off working kitchen next to it, with pantry, for the serious cooking and making a big mess that guests don't see.

The wife/husband can pretend to be cooking on their Wolf Super Duper and the chef can toil away in the servants kitchen.

https://www.hungelingdesign.com/blog...a-prep-kitchen
Old 28 April 2024, 01:20 AM   #35
Greenp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Apparently in some high end homes now there is the open concept kitchen AND a closed off working kitchen next to it, with pantry, for the serious cooking and making a big mess that guests don't see.

The wife/husband can pretend to be cooking on her Wolf Super Duper and the chef can toil away in the servants kitchen.

https://www.hungelingdesign.com/blog...a-prep-kitchen

Kitchen + catering kitchen.
Greenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 01:24 AM   #36
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenp View Post
Kitchen + catering kitchen.
I guess a stay at home mom could always lock herself in there to get away from her screaming kids too.

Plus plus.
Old 28 April 2024, 01:44 AM   #37
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

My wife has a thing with being able to see the dirty kitchen while dining so we simply added a divider wall between the kitchen and dining room while opening up the kitchen to the family room. It works great but I do wish we had space for a closed in study for my stereo and a couple of club chairs.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 01:57 AM   #38
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
..........It works great but I do wish we had space for a closed in study for my stereo and a couple of club chairs.
I believe historically that's called the garage.

"Where's dad??"....."oh he's working in the garage." As you hear another beer bottle cap pop off.
Old 30 April 2024, 03:48 AM   #39
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I heard the trend started with “Seinfeld” and “Friends,” so the set could show the kitchen and living room at the same time.

I’ve seen too many HGTV shows where people blow out a lot of interior walls.

Every mom on the shows says she loves the open concept so “I can watch my kids while I’m cooking.”

I’m Gen X and, when I was growing up, not only did my mom not “watch” me when she was cooking, she never wanted to, nor did I want to be watched. I was one of those “latchkey kids” who took the city bus home from school, arrived to an empty house (as both parents worked), and then, after completing homework in my room, at my desk, took my bike out for a ride until it got dark. No cell phones.

A lot of people got sick of open concept design when the entire family was working and going to school from home during the pandemic.

I have an old school house built almost 100 years ago. It has an ample size living room for entertaining, and a beautiful formal dining room that has been the site of so many wonderful family events. I even found an archived article from our local newspaper about a formal engagement party that was held in the dining room in the 1930s…We also have a nook in our kitchen area for casual dining. That being said, when we do entertain, I love that the kitchen is on the other side of the downstairs from the living room, and I can close the kitchen doors so no one in the living room or dining room can see the pots and pans. I also cook dinner every night, and am thankful that the smell of the food doesn’t permeate every room in the house. You cannot see my kitchen from the entry or from the living room.

Obviously everyone has their own preferences, which is why we have so many architectural styles and interior designs. I have some relatives with open design spaces, and they love it. It’s just not for me.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 05:05 AM   #40
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
I heard the trend started with “Seinfeld” and “Friends,” so the set could show the kitchen and living room at the same time.

A lot of people got sick of open concept design when the entire family was working and going to school from home during the pandemic.

The trend didn’t start with “Seinfeld” and “Friends.” Please forgive me, but that’s a little silly. I remember builders selling new homes with an open floor plans back in the 80s when my wife and I were just starting out. Plus, what about all those TV shows back in the 60s and 70s? Brady Bunch quickly comes to mind. They had an open floor plan, too.

With regard to your second point, they’re not building any new homes anywhere with closed floor plans. And the reason is very simple. They want to sell homes. They’re building what their customers/clients want.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote