The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: Trade PP 5712 for FPJ CB?
Go for the CB 31 24.80%
Stick with the PP 94 75.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 April 2024, 12:35 AM   #1
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Would you trade a 5712 for FPJ Chronometre Bleu?

I have owned a 5712 1A since 2011, and it's still one of my favourites, but I also have a long-held wish for an FPJ CB.

What would you do?
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 12:37 AM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I have owned a 5712 1A since 2011, and it's still one of my favourites, but I also have a long-held wish for an FPJ CB.

What would you do?
Keep the 5712.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 12:49 AM   #3
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

The FPJ CB is nice but I'd way rather have a 5712.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 12:54 AM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I would sell the 5712 and buy an artisanal watch at less consideration from the likes of Sylvain Pinaud, Simon Brette, Petermann Bedat, Kari Voutilainen and Romain Gauthier, amongst others. I'm just not a big fan of the CB.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 01:11 AM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I totally understand getting bored and thinking about the next great acquisition. But nautilus are so hard to buy so I’d hold here. I owned a CB before the hype and it’s long gone. I don’t think about it for a second, other than all the gains I left on the table.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 01:20 AM   #6
Encepholopod
Banned

Watch: 5712/1R
As a fellow 5712 owner who has stainless and rose gold...keep it, but im bias!
Encepholopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 02:03 AM   #7
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

I would but with chunk of cash your way
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 02:12 AM   #8
jed11
"TRF" Member

Keep the Patek in this scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 02:18 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Keep Both.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 02:26 AM   #10
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't. The CB is nice, but not that nice.

Or if you ditch the 5712, then I'd do what Ichiran suggested above and get a truly special piece from an Independent.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 02:29 AM   #11
APhound
"TRF" Member

I’d rather have the journe. I have fpj and nautilus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 03:13 AM   #12
BendyBee
"TRF" Member

I have the CB and will not trade it for the 5712. To me, CB is much more interesting and unique. Plus, there are many more 5712 around. IMHO
BendyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 03:25 AM   #13
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I own both, love both, but would not trade the 5712 for the bleu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 03:45 AM   #14
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

You say that 5712 is one of your favorites. Is there anything else you can move to get the FPJ?
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 05:59 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Normally it’s a yes but a watch you’ve had for 13 years gives me pause.
Old 30 April 2024, 06:21 AM   #16
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
No.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 07:10 AM   #17
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

5712a is in my top 5 for favorite watches period. CB is amazing but yea for you to give up a watch you've managed to hold onto for 13 years seems like it could be loaded with regret.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 09:22 AM   #18
dmottley
"TRF" Member

I would keep the Patek, but the small 7 and 8 on the FPJ bother me.
dmottley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 01:17 PM   #19
llngoc
"TRF" Member

If it is one of your favorites and it is getting wrist time, why would you want to trade it? I would only get rid of pieces which are not getting wrist time. No matter how great the "next" thing is. You are not going to trade your wife who you loved dearly for another woman; would you? ;-)

I am a FPJ fanboy but it sounds like you will regret the trade when the newness wears off the CB.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 03:35 PM   #20
magicman
"TRF" Member

I love my CB and would not trade it for a Nautilus, but based on how you described your Nautilus I don't think you should trade it. Enjoy it for as long as you want, and find another way to get the FPJ.
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 03:56 PM   #21
RobHK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I own both, love both, but would not trade the 5712 for the bleu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Most unbiased answer right here
RobHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 04:48 PM   #22
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Thanks, gents, very much for all the answers, food for thought.

I bought the 5712 from new at a time when nobody seemed to want them, and so I was able to negotiate a small discount. I'm not a watch flipper or speculator (I only wish I had the money to be one!), and so I only buy watches that I really like. I had no idea that what has happened would happen.

For the first few years everything was great, nobody knew what it was and I enjoyed wearing it quite a lot without attracting any attention at all. But ever since the hype over the past two or three years, it feels like I'm wearing a huge beacon of wealth on my wrist, and that makes me feel uncomfortable as it's not the image I want to project, and there's also the slight fear of street robbery. if a professional boxer can get robbed, anyone can.

The only other way I could realistically afford to get the CB would be to sell my FPJ Octa Automatique, which I very luckily found in a shop s/h in 2016 at what seems today to be a bargain price. But I love that watch even more than the 5712, and nobody seems to recognise it, so the idea of selling it seems ridiculous.

Despite my ludicrous (by most people's standards) watch collection, I am really not a particularly wealthy person by the standards of this forum, and otherwise I live reasonably frugally. I drive a 1993 W124, for example.

There are currently 11 CBs on C24 and 213 5712s. They are going for pretty much the same money. If I sold my three old-school steel Rolexes (16610; 5513; 114300), that wouldn't raise half the asking price.

Is a CB less recognisable than a Nautilus? I suppose that is the real question...
Old 30 April 2024, 04:56 PM   #23
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
I would but with chunk of cash your way
Agree

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 07:04 PM   #24
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:

I bought the 5712 from new at a time when nobody seemed to want them, and so I was able to negotiate a small discount. I'm not a watch flipper or speculator (I only wish I had the money to be one!), and so I only buy watches that I really like. I had no idea that what has happened would happen.

For the first few years everything was great, nobody knew what it was and I enjoyed wearing it quite a lot without attracting any attention at all. But ever since the hype over the past two or three years, it feels like I'm wearing a huge beacon of wealth on my wrist, and that makes me feel uncomfortable as it's not the image I want to project, and there's also the slight fear of street robbery. if a professional boxer can get robbed, anyone can.

The only other way I could realistically afford to get the CB would be to sell my FPJ Octa Automatique, which I very luckily found in a shop s/h in 2016 at what seems today to be a bargain price. But I love that watch even more than the 5712, and nobody seems to recognise it, so the idea of selling it seems ridiculous.

Despite my ludicrous (by most people's standards) watch collection, I am really not a particularly wealthy person by the standards of this forum, and otherwise I live reasonably frugally. I drive a 1993 W124, for example.

There are currently 11 CBs on C24 and 213 5712s. They are going for pretty much the same money. If I sold my three old-school steel Rolexes (16610; 5513; 114300), that wouldn't raise half the asking price.

Is a CB less recognisable than a Nautilus? I suppose that is the real question...
Yes, the CB is far more stealth and 'under the radar' if that is most important to you. These are two icons and grail pieces with really different personalities, really a tough choice.
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 11:39 PM   #25
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would keep the PP.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 02:31 AM   #26
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

I handled the CB at an auction showing before. It didn't leave an impression. I tried on a display 5712 at the AD and really liked it. Definitely felt it would be the nautilus I would own if ever.
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 11:13 AM   #27
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Is your w124 an E500 by chance??
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 11:54 AM   #28
crod
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ OPTIMUM
Quote:

I have the 5711 and the CB and love them both, from what I understand from your post you dont like what has happened with the Nautilus line in terms of awareness, flexing etc. I feel the same way and although i still love my 5711 I tend to wear it far less than what i did 4 years ago. The CB is NOT noticeable you have to be into watches to really know what it is.
Last week for example I was travelling in Shanghai and went into the ALS boutique to try the Lange 1. i was wearing the FP QP (perpetual calendar). The Sales Associate asked me which brand was the watch and when I told him he said he had heard of it but never actually saw one.

I think the CB will give you what you are looking for better than the 5712.
Old 1 May 2024, 09:10 PM   #29
unknown
"TRF" Member

I would do it. The Nautilus is nice but the CB is imo much more interesting
Old 1 May 2024, 09:43 PM   #30
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Is your w124 an E500 by chance??
Haha! If only. It's a 300E 3L straight six auto, pre-facelift. It just purrs along and doesn't upset anyone. I love it. Thanks for all the additional comments, and of course more input is always welcome.

If I do decide to change, I'll post a picture of the CB.