The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30 June 2006, 11:52 AM   #1
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
GMT 16750 review

I received this preowned Rolex watch (GMT-Master 16750) on June 1, 2006. This is my first Rolex timepiece.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

WOW! What else can I say. This particular watch had been freshly serviced by a Rolex Service Center (RSC) before I received it. It came complete with the original box, tag, GMT manual/booklet, and of course the 1yr Rolex warranty/service receipt. While at the RSC the watch received a new dial, hands, bezel insert, crown, oyster band, acrylic, and a good polish job to the original case. I felt as though I just received a brand new watch even though it's over 20 years old (circa approx 1984).

Click for high resolution pic

THE DIAL

The black Luminova dial is beautiful and easy to read. Each hour marker is outlined with 18k white gold, which is highly reflective and adds depth to the dial by giving the markers a raised appearance. The dial also reads 'Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified'. This identifies that the watch was tested and approved as a certified chronometer by the Controle Officiel Suisse des Chronometres (COSC). This assures the buyer that the watch is accurate to -4/+6 seconds/day. My GMT has been extremely accurate. I've owned this watch for 29 days and according to www.time.gov it's only gained 13 seconds! This is less than 1/2 second/day. I'm extremely pleased with this outcome. The four hands (hour, minutes, seconds, 24hr) are also outlined in 18k white gold and are easily seen against the black dial. The hands as well as the hour markers have a decent lume (glow) making time reading in the dark an easy task.

THE DATE

As with many Rolex watches the GMT-Master has a date feature, therefore the dial reads 'Oyster Perpetual Date' just beneath the Rolex logo. Having the date on the dial is an invaluable tool for me, as I never seem to know what day it is. The date is magnified by the acrylic cyclopse by 21/2X. The 16750 also has the quick-set feature, which enables you to set the date without having to adjust the minutes and hour hands.

THE CRYSTAL

The GMT-Master 16750 was outfitted with an acrylic crystal. Compared to sapphire, acrylic scratches much easier. I use a polishing cloth to regularly clean the acrylic of smudges and fingerprints - this has worked quite well. I wouldn't recommend using any other materials to clean the acrylic (eg: t-shirt, papertowel, washcloth, etc.) as these will leave fine scratches behind. I also love the raised/thick appearance of the vintage acrylic... they don't come like this anymore!

THE 24 HOUR BEZEL

You're probably already aware that the GMT is capable of displaying two different time zones. The 24hr bezel is easy to read and understand. It rotates both in the CW and CCW direction. One feature I really enjoy about the GMT bezel is the ability to 'swap' bezel inserts. Within 15 minutes you can go from a black GMT to a Pepsi (red/blue) GMT!

THE CROWN

As stated in many other GMT reviews, the crown is simply too small. Unless you have small hands unscrewing the crown is a bit inconvenient. Also, the surrounding crown-guards don't make the task any easier. It's certianly not a deal breaker, but it is worth mentioning.

THE BAND

My GMT 16750 came with the stainless steel (SS) Oyster band, which is my personal favorite. It's flexible, comfortable, and very attractive. The clasp is easy to operate and feels solid/strong. It's nice not having to worry about my 'baby' falling off of my wrist. The original Rolex band can be easily removed (yes, there are advantages to having open lugs) and swaped with other bands or straps.

WATER RESISTANCE

The GMT 16750 is capable of diving to 100 meters/330 feet. Since I live on the Florida coast, it's a must to have a water proof watch. My GMT frequents swimming pools, lakes, and will be used occasionally for snorkeling and other ocean related play. There's not many places I'm not willing to take this watch.

FINAL COMMENTS

Go buy this watch righ now! Seriously, this is a great timepiece - a Rolex classic. I've been very pleased with this watch over the past month and I plan on wearing this watch for many years to come. I never thought owning a watch could be so rewarding - IT CAN!
Member #471

Last edited by colemanitis; 7 July 2006 at 09:40 AM..
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote