The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 April 2024, 01:18 AM   #27211
RolexDave68
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
RolexDave68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 03:53 AM   #27212
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 09:23 PM   #27213
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 06:43 AM   #27214
RolexDave68
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
RolexDave68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 02:28 AM   #27215
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Tudor 9140 {full engine turned bezel version} Quartz ‘Integrale’.

These were twice price of the 9101, 9111, 9121 which used the 2784 ETA auto (as fitted to 9411/0 Submariner of course) and more than a 7149/59/69 Monte Carlo and 1601/1603 Datejust !!

In 1975 Quartz was expensive and hence low sales / rare !

This is a hardly seen 1975 silver dial version (-Swiss-, most Swiss) with gold indices. Also, most have grey black indices.

Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 02:47 AM   #27216
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Tudor 9140 Quartz (twice price of 9101, 9111, 9121 using 2784 ETA auto, as fitted to 9411/0, at the time) Integrale

Very rare 1975 silver dial with gold indices.

Love ❤️ love ❤️ love ❤️
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 03:00 AM   #27217
sampix
"TRF" Member

I Had No Idea

I had an uncle who was a Naval aviator driving F-8s during the Vietnam War and was lost over the Gulf of Tonkin (mechanical) in 1971. Our family received his effects and as a young boy I was fascinated by them (and made good use of the .22 rifle for squirrel and rabbit hunting). My dad gave me his Rolex watch, which I thought was cool as hell (especially looking at the glowing numbers when I would turn out the lights), but it was too big and required winding. I was much more interested in getting one of the new bad ass Timex digital watches.

Fast forward 45 years and when I was home last Christmas, I found the last couple boxes of my childhood "stuff" and in it was the Rolex. Being older and a little bit smarter, I knew I had something of value. This week, I had a photographer covering the taping of Antiques Roadshow, and he was allowed to bring two items for appraisal. I was going to send my Rolex with him, and decided to do some research myself beforehand.

Turns out it is an early GMT-Master, but it couldn't be one of the rare models with the Bakelite bezel, could it? I loved the history of the watch, but I have zero knowledge about fine watches so I had no expectations of it being special to the Rolex community.

Yesterday, the AR appraiser, and the other expert he called over, confirmed that it is indeed and early GMT-Master with the original bezel. They were also impressed with the case as it had never been polished (who knew?). Now knowing what I have, I figured I better hook up with a Rolex community for some advice if I need some. So here I am, and here are a couple of quick photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gmt1.jpg (74.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg gmt3.jpg (69.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg gmt2.jpg (42.9 KB, 24 views)
sampix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 09:36 AM   #27218
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Tudor 9140 {full engine turned bezel version} Quartz ‘Integrale’.

Very cool Turo! Nice size too, looks good on your wrist.
TimeLord2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:46 AM   #27219
IgCarr
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 16800 16220 14270
1940s Rose Gold Lebois Chronographe Extra - I wear it only occasionally to wake up the movement and only when there is zero chance of rain. It's hard to get a good picture on my phone but the dial is almost salmon at this point.

IgCarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:45 AM   #27220
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgCarr View Post
1940s Rose Gold Lebois Chronographe Extra - I wear it only occasionally to wake up the movement and only when there is zero chance of rain. It's hard to get a good picture on my phone but the dial is almost salmon at this point.

Beautiful...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:19 AM   #27221
IgCarr
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 16800 16220 14270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Beautiful...
Thank you! Fixed lugs and keeps perfect time! lol --
IgCarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:20 AM   #27222
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampix View Post
I had an uncle who was a Naval aviator driving F-8s during the Vietnam War and was lost over the Gulf of Tonkin (mechanical) in 1971. Our family received his effects and as a young boy I was fascinated by them (and made good use of the .22 rifle for squirrel and rabbit hunting). My dad gave me his Rolex watch, which I thought was cool as hell (especially looking at the glowing numbers when I would turn out the lights), but it was too big and required winding. I was much more interested in getting one of the new bad ass Timex digital watches.

Fast forward 45 years and when I was home last Christmas, I found the last couple boxes of my childhood "stuff" and in it was the Rolex. Being older and a little bit smarter, I knew I had something of value. This week, I had a photographer covering the taping of Antiques Roadshow, and he was allowed to bring two items for appraisal. I was going to send my Rolex with him, and decided to do some research myself beforehand.

Turns out it is an early GMT-Master, but it couldn't be one of the rare models with the Bakelite bezel, could it? I loved the history of the watch, but I have zero knowledge about fine watches so I had no expectations of it being special to the Rolex community.

Yesterday, the AR appraiser, and the other expert he called over, confirmed that it is indeed and early GMT-Master with the original bezel. They were also impressed with the case as it had never been polished (who knew?). Now knowing what I have, I figured I better hook up with a Rolex community for some advice if I need some. So here I am, and here are a couple of quick photos.
My goodness! Take some better pics, close up of the dial, back of watch plus the engravings between the lugs, just the first 3 or 4 of the serial number and post them in the Vintage forum on this site. Bracelet definitely aftermarket. Would love to see those original chamfers too! You should get a lot of responses. Would like to see better pics of that myself. What a great story and a great re-find!
TimeLord2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine nationale , milsub , orange hand