The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 September 2021, 02:32 PM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
NFL season starting

Here is your chance, who is your team? How will they do this year? Do you have a favorite player you will be rooting for? And..my favorite topic. What controversies bring your attention?

FOR EXAMPLE What do you think about Bellicheck and the Patriots RELEASING Cam Newton? I thought he looked at least OK in pre-season, and now you turn your team over to a (albeit very talented) rookie(?!). And keep in mind, Cam was RELEASED, not traded…. Which means any team can pick him up for no reimbursement to the Patriots! I am really shocked at this, but please, join in with your opinion.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 02:36 PM   #2
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Prefer to watch paint dry!
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 02:38 PM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Tom Brady has been stalking me for over a decade, so i have to go with whatever team is smart enough to hire him.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 03:02 PM   #4
ts3
"TRF" Member

Bills.

Ever since watching them in the late 1980s and early 1990s on American Forces Network in Germany. Accidentally Buffalo also happened to be the first US city outside of NYC I got to visit as a student in 1993.

For 20+ years my American friends kept thinking I am crazy rooting for the Bills. Not anymore!
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 07:45 PM   #5
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Belichick is cold blooded. Wouldn’t be surprised if something personal was behind this.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 09:14 PM   #6
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Man I haven’t watched football since I was in middle school. I finally realized I must have ADHD or something because for me it’s just way too slow whether it be college or NFL. Futbol on the other hand, I can watch all day. But back in my day, Dallas was my team by a mile.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 09:17 PM   #7
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLimon View Post
Prefer to watch paint dry!

/\ /\ /\

This
Old 1 September 2021, 10:21 PM   #8
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
What do you think about Bellicheck and the Patriots RELEASING Cam Newton?
Newton's a veteran who can still play, maybe even start. So since Belichick decided to go with the rookie, then releasing Newton was actually the classy thing to do. Instead of limiting Newton's options by trying to trade him for a low draft pick, the Pats cut him loose. They get nothing, but Cam's free to strike a deal with any team that might want him, and perhaps more importantly to Newton, a place where he might get a chance to start. Personally, I think his days as a valuable starter are behind him, but I'm sure he doesn't think so.
Old 1 September 2021, 10:25 PM   #9
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Bills.

Ever since watching them in the late 1980s and early 1990s on American Forces Network in Germany. Accidentally Buffalo also happened to be the first US city outside of NYC I got to visit as a student in 1993.

For 20+ years my American friends kept thinking I am crazy rooting for the Bills. Not anymore!
X2!
Living in Rochester NY we are definitely a Bills town.
I’m looking forward to this season and, cautiously, hopeful.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 10:30 PM   #10
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
We are Giants fans. It’s been a bad decade. We attended the last Giants’ Super Bowl in Indy, which was a great experience for all who get a chance to go to one. It’s the tenth anniversary of that season. Awaiting this year with trepidation.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 11:00 PM   #11
JParm

Watch: Yes!
GO HAWKS. We will be terrible this year due to our CBs.
Old 1 September 2021, 11:35 PM   #12
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

giants fan here so nothing to look forward to. they could've made a good play and picked devonta smith but they traded that pick to the eagles. i lost all hope in them and just gonna hope the yankees can go deep into playoffs (highly doubt this though)
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 11:38 PM   #13
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Newton's a veteran who can still play, maybe even start. So since Belichick decided to go with the rookie, then releasing Newton was actually the classy thing to do. Instead of limiting Newton's options by trying to trade him for a low draft pick, the Pats cut him loose. They get nothing, but Cam's free to strike a deal with any team that might want him, and perhaps more importantly to Newton, a place where he might get a chance to start. Personally, I think his days as a valuable starter are behind him, but I'm sure he doesn't think so.

Can still has some football left in the tank. He’ll contribute wherever he lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 11:40 PM   #14
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

My Texans are a dumpster fire so I’m pulling for Brady again and would like to see Buffalo take it to the next level. I’m actively hoping Houston doesn’t win a game. You couldn’t ruin a team faster than they have if you we’re getting paid to.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 11:42 PM   #15
dandigangi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
I don't think much needs to be said about the Bears here in Chicago.... awful. :(

Current:
[116710BLNR, PAM212, Tag Monaco, Navitimer, Casioak]
dandigangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 11:58 PM   #16
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I don't follow football anymore but am a big hockey fan.

I've come to the conclusion that there are only maybe 5 or 6 good GMs in the league and imagine it's the same for football. Lot of times team get lucky and get a generational talent which can be more luck than good judgement but still many GMs screw that up by not giving them a supporting cast.

Do you think it's revenue/market that wins in football or do you agree that it's all about brilliant GMs who put the prices together time and time again.

Whatcha think?
Old 2 September 2021, 12:03 AM   #17
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Belichick is cold blooded. Wouldn’t be surprised if something personal was behind this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Cam Newton is a cancer...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 12:23 AM   #18
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Sadly, the Detroit Lions. One of the few remaining teams to never appear in a Super Bowl. Last Championship was in 1957, the year I was born. Here we go again with a new Coach and new quarterback. Hoping they suck less than last year.
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 12:26 AM   #19
dandigangi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagoo57 View Post
Sadly, the Detroit Lions. One of the few remaining teams to never appear in a Super Bowl. Last Championship was in 1957, the year I was born. Here we go again with a new Coach and new quarterback. Hoping they suck less than last year.
Feel your pain with the Bears. Always trying to be optimistic but consistently let down. Trubisky destroyed us last week.

Current:
[116710BLNR, PAM212, Tag Monaco, Navitimer, Casioak]
dandigangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 12:27 AM   #20
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandigangi View Post
I don't think much needs to be said about the Bears here in Chicago.... awful. :(
justin fields gives you hope though. bears had a pretty decent team, they just had 2 qbs who were terrible
Old 2 September 2021, 02:19 AM   #21
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
No longer have a team to root for as my childhood team moved away. Now I watch only for the story lines as these lead my list:

1. Will Tom Brady be able to sustain his unbelievable career at 44 years old and get back to the SB?

2. Brady at New England in week 4 is on my calendar as a must watch.

3. After over a decade in Detroit, how will Matthew Stafford look as a LA Ram?

4. What will happen in Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers?

I'm a big proponent that organizations either win or lose consistently. The 49er's under Eddie D'Bartolo, the Rooney family, Mara family etc. are prime examples of well run franchises with perpetual winning cultures. The Lions, Chargers, to name a couple are lifelong losers that will never be good unless there's change at the very top.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 02:30 AM   #22
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
No longer have a team to root for as my childhood team moved away. Now I watch only for the story lines as these lead my list:

1. Will Tom Brady be able to sustain his unbelievable career at 44 years old and get back to the SB?

2. Brady at New England in week 4 is on my calendar as a must watch.

3. After over a decade in Detroit, how will Matthew Stafford look as a LA Ram?

4. What will happen in Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers?

I'm a big proponent that organizations either win or lose consistently. The 49er's under Eddie D'Bartolo, the Rooney family, Mara family etc. are prime examples of well run franchises with perpetual winning cultures. The Lions, Chargers, to name a couple are lifelong losers that will never be good unless there's change at the very top.
if brady wins again i give up. as a giants fan and new yorker i hate him but after what he did last year i firmly believe he's arguably the greatest of all time among all sports. very debatable with jordan and gretzky showing the insane dominance that they did but i think what brady has done will never be seen again. with that said i think mahomes will be out for blood this season

#4 will be interesting. 1 game away from the superbowl last year and now they're on the verge of blowing it up and rebuilding. complete mismanagement and incompetence from the front office and it all started with drafting a qb when you have rodgers playing at mvp level after having a great season and playoff run
Old 2 September 2021, 02:34 AM   #23
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Football is dead to me now.
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 03:11 AM   #24
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
if brady wins again i give up. as a giants fan and new yorker i hate him but after what he did last year i firmly believe he's arguably the greatest of all time among all sports. very debatable with jordan and gretzky showing the insane dominance that they did but i think what brady has done will never be seen again. with that said i think mahomes will be out for blood this season

#4 will be interesting. 1 game away from the superbowl last year and now they're on the verge of blowing it up and rebuilding. complete mismanagement and incompetence from the front office and it all started with drafting a qb when you have rodgers playing at mvp level after having a great season and playoff run
LOL and yet the Giants with Eli Manning are the only ones with a winning record against Brady. Not a bad record, but I agree, I've never seen anything like Brady and at the age he's doing it? I don't know if we'll ever see something as unique as that.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 03:16 AM   #25
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Diehard Steeler fan here. I dont expect a whole lot out of the coming season, playoffs dont seem likely given the difficulty of the schedule and Baltimore and Cleveland both ascending. I just hope Ben's last season (at least I'm assuming its gonna be his last) is decent enough so that he can hang up his cleats with his head held high
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 03:34 AM   #26
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagoo57 View Post
Me too Ron, I don’t like Campbell, I have a feeling they will suck more then last year.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 03:41 AM   #27
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I've come to the conclusion that there are only maybe 5 or 6 good GMs in the league and imagine it's the same for football. Lot of times team get lucky and get a generational talent which can be more luck than good judgement but still many GMs screw that up by not giving them a supporting cast.

Do you think it's revenue/market that wins in football or do you agree that it's all about brilliant GMs who put the prices together time and time again.
This is an oversimplification, but 50% of having year to year success in the NFL is managing the salary cap wisely but heartlessly. The other 50% is having a top shelf quarterback.
Old 2 September 2021, 03:45 AM   #28
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I don't follow football anymore but am a big hockey fan.

Whatcha think?
revenue and market matters most in basketball. football has hard caps and if you look at all the good teams historically, they're all in small markets

if you look at the nba, every star wants to go to a big market like LA, miami, ny (not the knicks because management is terrible). you rarely have teams from smaller markets win because they don't have the revenue or money to throw at stars to create super teams. in the nfl it's more about strategy and putting the puzzles together, in the nba it's more about attracting the best free agents because it has a soft cap and rich owners of big market teams are willing to go deep into luxury taxes to win, golden state is a good example

nfl's marketing isn't great. look at the amount of followers brady has - 10m and he's the goat. stars don't even have 1m while you have kids coming INTO the nba draft with 1.5-2 million followers, so they all want to go to big markets to make money off their brand
Old 2 September 2021, 03:58 AM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Let’s Go BUFF -A - LO!!!!!!
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 04:02 AM   #30
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Bills.

We are glad to have European friends with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
X2!

Living in Rochester NY we are definitely a Bills town.

I’m looking forward to this season and, cautiously, hopeful.

I am a diehard member of Bills Mafia. We’re pretty stacked.

I don’t assume anything, since it’s hard to win in the NFL every week, but our Buffalo Bills are legitimately good. I trust the process under Beane and McDermott and wouldn’t be shocked if we end up playing in February!
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote