The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 April 2024, 09:21 AM   #1
Barbara_C
"TRF" Member

Has any older members retired to over 55 apt or condo's?

I sold my house and my better half sold hers and we rent a 2 bedroom over 55 apt and love it so far. We split the rent and elec but I love knowing how I have to spend after SS ....pension... plus 401k. My house had turned into a "money pit" being a woman I always feel like I was getting ripped off.
Barbara_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 09:31 PM   #2
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_C View Post
... being a woman I always feel like I was getting ripped off.
That's sad. It's probably not as frequent as you think - we all get ripped off regardless of sex.

I live (as I suspect most of us here do) in a nice, upscale neighborhood. I figure anytime I get someone to come over and give me a quote, they see the grand houses and bump up the estimate by at least 20%.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 09:56 PM   #3
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_C View Post
My house had turned into a "money pit" being a woman I always feel like I was getting ripped off.
If it makes you feel any better, being ripped off by contractors and home repair companies, is not gender specific.
Old 11 April 2024, 10:00 PM   #4
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
If it makes you feel any better, being ripped off by contractors and home repair companies, is not gender specific.

That’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 10:11 PM   #5
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post

Well said. You don’t need to be a women in her 50’s to get ripped off. I am constantly a prime target to being ripped off.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 10:56 PM   #6
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

My mother received a $10,000 bid to install gutters on her 1,300sf house.
She asked me if that was right, I had never even heard of anything like that.

She ended up getting another bid closer to $2,500 I believe.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 08:14 PM   #7
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I had quotes on getting a new roof and gutters on my home. First company in was close to $30,000, gave me an elaborate story of rotten wood, removing old roof, proper venting, and superior materials than competition.
Having done 5 roof replacements for myself, family, and friends, I instantly smelled BS.
I went to Home Depot, and got an estimate for the building materials needed. (about $3000) I then tripled that price and added that number assuming that would pay for labor and profit. (So now about $12,000). I called 4 more contractors, never said a word except to say I had done some roofs when I was a younger man. One came in at $20K, one at $16K, one at 14K, and one just below 12K. Checked the 12K for reviews, they had been around for years with a good reputation. Talked about materials, they all use the same manufacturers. Hired the 12K, they came 10days later, the work was done in 2 days.
Do some homework, don't be argumentative, you can find what you need at a feasible price.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 09:17 PM   #8
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Several years ago, I wanted some landscaping done at my new house. It wasn’t bad but most builders—no matter how expensive the home is—aren’t going to put in the best landscaping for you. I decided to limit the scope of the project to just the front of the house and leave everything else alone.

I got bids as high as $7,500. Couldn’t believe it. This was to dig out some plants, put some new ones in, and then lay down some mulch. I finally found someone to do it for less than that.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 09:28 PM   #9
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
It’s a jungle out there, make sure your kids marry someone in construction, accountants, lawyers and doctors aren’t needed no where near as often with a bit of luck.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 01:32 AM   #10
Barbara_C
"TRF" Member

I have installed 2 new AC units in my "money pit" home one back in 2019 at a cost of 9100 for a"heat pump" then last July on a 102 degree day.....it goes out again....7200 this time. We had to move into a hotel for 6 days....what a pain with 2 old cats plus I'm in poor health....then 4200 to fix a sewer problem. It's the house from hell.
You cant shop for better deals with no AC in 100 plus weather! even the low was 90 that night.
Barbara_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 01:49 AM   #11
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
In the Chicagoland area, $3,000 to replace an ejector pump. Pump costs $80 at the plumbing supply store. Every plumber in the area had the exact same price. Seems anticompetitive, but impossible to prove in court.

When I was younger I did this stuff myself, but I can’t physically manage it anymore. I paid my neighbors son to help me with the physical stuff. Cost me $200 and tickets to a Sox game. The work was every bit as well done as any plumbing company would do it.

Things cost what they cost, unless you can do it yourself. The nature of life in America.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 02:01 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

In Florida there is a place called The Villages. Many retire there and well worth considering. From very independent homes to managed apt living too, so you won't have to worry so much.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 06:07 AM   #13
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
^the villages seems pretty cool. I’ve seen a couple videos on the place, but I’m sure the devil is in the details.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 06:09 AM   #14
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I lived in a 2 bedroom single home in a 55 and over community, for the last 4 years, but spent little time there, because I was always at my boyfriend’s ranch, 60 miles away. Finally, I got robbed. What annoyed me was who was casing the neighborhood in a 55 and over community? Thankfully, my watch collection was with me. Awful experience, though, being violated that way. I moved out shortly thereafter, and, of course, married my guy, so live permanently at the ranch, now. It was nice not having to mow the lawn, or even paint the outside of the house. Any problems, I just called the office. Here we have 16 acres to care for, but have a guy for a lot of the work.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 06:19 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
... but I’m sure the devil is in the details.
Yes, it is widely known The Villages have Swingers, etc, and so social disease is higher than the norm. Not joking, seems like the older gen at The Villages do enjoy their lifestyle and time in Florida. i hear the parties there are lots of fun.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 12:48 PM   #16
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
There is a severe shortage of Tradespeople in Australia due to several decades of neglect and bad decisions by governments regarding Trade wage rates and training.
In their 'Apprenticeship' phase, tradespeople earn very small wages - which do not compare favourably with what many of their peers are earning in other fields. Consequently there is a high rate of 'bail-out' from trades in the apprenticeship period or immediately upon graduation. This of course results in the shortage of qualified and experienced tradespeople down the line, and those that stay the course and set up in their own business can ask what they want for their labour. Rates vary wildly and anyone who doesn't 'shop-around' is probably going to pay way too much. So severe iss the shortage that some Tradespeople won't even bother to provide quotes - you just never hear from them again. I have just waited 9 months to get a major landscaping/wall building job done. The Contractor was just flat-out. Others said up front that they had too much work to even quote. If I had a smart, outdoors-oriented Son, I would steer him into a Trade, not a profession. All the Tradies do work for each other on a 'Barter' basis and so pay no tax on that work.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 01:10 PM   #17
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

Women 100% get preyed on by unscrupulous men especially mechanical issues. My ex wife took a car in for a service and the garage scared the living shit out of her saying the car was a death trap and needed this that and the other and she shouldn't dare drive it ever again..

I popped down to discuss the issue as they never realised she wasn't a single mum..

I've also seen in in many trades. Women are generally trustworthy and accepting of what they are told.. they get ripped off every day of the week. It's a real pet peeve of mine tbh.
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 11:03 PM   #18
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
Five years ago we sold our home in San Francisco and downsized to a 2 bedroom/2 bath 1,900 sq ft house in a 1970s "55 and over active adult community" of around 5,000 people in rural Sonoma County surrounded by vineyards. We have a fully equipped gym, two 18 hole golf courses, three clubhouses with swimming pools and outdoor spas, lots of peace and quiet, and our neighbors are great. We couldn't be happier.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 01:00 AM   #19
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
Five years ago we sold our home in San Francisco and downsized to a 2 bedroom/2 bath 1,900 sq ft house in a 1970s "55 and over active adult community" of around 5,000 people in rural Sonoma County surrounded by vineyards. We have a fully equipped gym, two 18 hole golf courses, three clubhouses with swimming pools and outdoor spas, lots of peace and quiet, and our neighbors are great. We couldn't be happier.
Sounds awesome. Last couple years have been good for fire and smoke, but the area becomes intolerable with the smoke from the massive fires. It’s definitely good if you’re in the position to have a second property where you can wait it out, because aside from that the wine country is top notch. I just love it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 07:53 AM   #20
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
There is a severe shortage of Tradespeople in Australia due to several decades of neglect and bad decisions by governments regarding Trade wage rates and training.
In their 'Apprenticeship' phase, tradespeople earn very small wages - which do not compare favourably with what many of their peers are earning in other fields. Consequently there is a high rate of 'bail-out' from trades in the apprenticeship period or immediately upon graduation. This of course results in the shortage of qualified and experienced tradespeople down the line, and those that stay the course and set up in their own business can ask what they want for their labour. Rates vary wildly and anyone who doesn't 'shop-around' is probably going to pay way too much. So severe iss the shortage that some Tradespeople won't even bother to provide quotes - you just never hear from them again. I have just waited 9 months to get a major landscaping/wall building job done. The Contractor was just flat-out. Others said up front that they had too much work to even quote. If I had a smart, outdoors-oriented Son, I would steer him into a Trade, not a profession. All the Tradies do work for each other on a 'Barter' basis and so pay no tax on that work.
Fairly accurate description of the world of tradespeople these days , I’m in the UK & have spent 41 years in my trade , Heating , plumbing , bathroom kitchen refits ,renewables etc & can say that there is a serious lack of new tradespeople coming through today . Whether that’s a lack of opportunities by businesses ( which see apprenticeships as a too long term investment )or lack of government incentives I’m not sure but the earning potential is definitely there & if you have a skilled trade it’s one of the last jobs for life if you choose to stay in your chosen field of skill . The earning potential might not be instant enough to start with but you can certainly make up for it once you have the expertise. Even through economic downturns ( which are cyclical) I’ve never been unemployed . And I agree 100% that trades trade their skills with each other .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:20 AM   #21
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post

Sound# nice. When I first moved to CA, I spent 4 years in Sonoma County, in a luxury 2 BR Aptartment. It was expensive, so my son found me the house in Vacaville. Now, I’m back surrounded by Vineyards again.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote