The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2024, 02:02 AM   #1
taylor2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
My AD lost Rolex

85% of my jewelry and watch purchase history just went up in smoke when my AD lost Rolex. I played the game with the hopes of getting the hard to get pieces and I have nothing to show for it. I understand why people buy grey now.

Anybody dealt with this situation? I already have an Explorer II and DJ41. I got a 126710BLNR out of it all, but where do I go from here? Can't really see myself adding another "Walk In" piece. Open to suggestions, but grey seems like the way forward, especially with the market turning.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
taylor2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:06 AM   #2
bjdub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
I think its hard to give you advice without knowing how much more you want to build out your collection, what pieces you still want, if you have unworn pieces you would be willing to part with to consolidate to get that "grail watch" today, or if you rotate regularly.

That said, scoring a BLNR at retail is a win IMO. Sorry to hear about losing your AD. Seems to be happening more and more these days.
bjdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:10 AM   #3
taylor2000
"TRF" Member

I was waiting on a 126610lv. My plan was also to add a TT in the hopes of getting a steel Daytona in a couple years. With the purchases I've made for my wife (watches and jewelry) I figured that was reasonable. Now I don't think a walk in 126613lb gets me a steel Daytona.

Even if I saved up to by a DD40, I could just use that money to buy a steel Daytona from a grey. Thus I'm leaning grey.

Old 19 April 2024, 02:17 AM   #4
bjdub
"TRF" Member

I agree with you that it is unlikely a 126613LB gets you a steel Daytona at retail from an AD with no other spend history. If you can stomach paying that kind of markup for a steel watch because you want it enough, AND not be financially burdened the purchase, you could have it in a matter of days.

That would be a tough pill for me to swallow but thankfully (for my wallet) the Speedy is the chrono I want to add to my collection. I feel for you steel Daytona guys though... Wish it were easier for everyone to get the watch they want at a rational price.
Old 19 April 2024, 02:17 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor2000 View Post
85% of my jewelry and watch purchase history just went up in smoke when my AD lost Rolex. I played the game with the hopes of getting the hard to get pieces and I have nothing to show for it. I understand why people buy grey now.

Anybody dealt with this situation? I already have an Explorer II and DJ41. I got a 126710BLNR out of it all, but where do I go from here? Can't really see myself adding another "Walk In" piece. Open to suggestions, but grey seems like the way forward, especially with the market turning.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for anyone willing to play these AD games hopefully to get a mass produced watch.And if everyone stopped playing these so called AD games then perhaps we can get back to normal.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:20 AM   #6
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

That sucks I've personally always bought grey I refuse to play the AD games
BriansRolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:22 AM   #7
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

2018 is when the games with ADs started to happen. Maybe it was a coincidence that at the same time Instagram started allowing videos to be posted and influencers started touting their new Rolex.
At that time, gray market sellers were selling well below MSRP to attract buyers.
Old 19 April 2024, 02:23 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Back to the drawing board with a new AD or go Gray and get that watch in 24 hrs.

Hopefully you wanted some of the jewelry you bought. Lesson learned if you didn’t.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:24 AM   #9
taylor2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Sorry but I have no sympathy . . ..
No need to apologize, because I wasn't looking for sympathy. I was looking for other people who had dealt with a similar situation and how they responded to inform my decision going forward. I don't come to the internet looking for sympathy.

Why build a purchase history at another AD only for it to lose Rolex? I think grey is the right answer. An arms-length transaction has a certain fairness to it. I give you money, you give me a watch and that is the end of it. No hope for a future benefit from either of us.
Old 19 April 2024, 02:24 AM   #10
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
just go grey, you get the watch tomorrow and enjoy it right away
worldofoyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:30 AM   #11
bjdub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
2018 is when the games with ADs started to happen. Maybe it was a coincidence that at the same time Instagram started allowing videos to be posted and influencers started touting their new Rolex.
At that time, gray market sellers were selling well below MSRP to attract buyers.
To be fair, hasn't the SS Daytona always been a challenge to get at retail? I have never been interested and was too young and poor to know what it was like before 2018. But from my understanding it has always been the one watch that most simply could not walk in and buy for decades now.
Old 19 April 2024, 02:33 AM   #12
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Time to find a new hustle
Old 19 April 2024, 02:40 AM   #13
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Just go grey all of this building a relationship with an AD is for me just nonsense for this very reason. Ok you’re going to pay over the odds going grey but you get what you want when you want it
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:42 AM   #14
taylor2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Back to the drawing board with a new AD or go Gray and get that watch in 24 hrs.

Hopefully you wanted some of the jewelry you bought. Lesson learned if you didn’t.
The jewelry was jewelry I would've bought anyway - birthday gifts, anniversary gifts, push presents. I just would've bought it elsewhere if it wasn't for them also selling Rolex.
Old 19 April 2024, 02:43 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
The jewelry was jewelry I would've bought anyway - birthday gifts, anniversary gifts, push presents. I just would've bought it elsewhere if it wasn't for them also selling Rolex.

No harm then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:48 AM   #16
GolfGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Sorry but I have no sympathy for anyone willing to play these AD games hopefully to get a mass produced watch.And if everyone stopped playing these so called AD games then perhaps we can get back to normal.
Agree 100% with this... when you decide to play the "game" with them then you must be prepared for all possible outcomes, including this one unfortunately....
GolfGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:54 AM   #17
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sounds like you got some nice watches out of it. Maybe just take a break from the watch rat race and enjoy what you have for a bit?
Tylerlsu2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:56 AM   #18
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
It happens, only aa watch, not the end of the world.
Just do what makes you feel good.

Myself I am too proud to beg an AD for any watch and my self esteem is worth more than a few grand so I buy grey. Nothing but stellar experiences
Old 19 April 2024, 03:04 AM   #19
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdub View Post
To be fair, hasn't the SS Daytona always been a challenge to get at retail? I have never been interested and was too young and poor to know what it was like before 2018. But from my understanding it has always been the one watch that most simply could not walk in and buy for decades now.
Yes, you´re right. When I bought my Sub new at retail from an AD in February 1996 it was a walk in, try out, buy at retail and walk out with any Rolex in the catalogue situation, EXCEPT for the Daytona! I remember asking about the Daytona (just out of curiosity, I wasn´t interested in buying one), and they showed me the one SS model they had in their window. I was told that if I wanted one they would guarantee getting me one, and sell it to me at retail, but I´d have to wait 6 to 9 months. This back in the day! And I´m quite sure that the AD, Wempe Hamburg, would have kept their promise.
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 03:07 AM   #20
Redfoot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos FXD!!!
Can you share the AD? I have been waiting for one of my locals to get the axe- single store, small showroom, non-metro area. Surprised they made it this long, to be honest.
Redfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 03:14 AM   #21
prnceofpersia23

Watch: 116500LN
Congrats, you've been liberated from AD nonsense. It's a big risk playing their game and can be far more costly than going grey. At least you got a few nice watches out of it.

Contact a TS and get what you want tomorrow. A lot of pieces are selling slightly above, at, or below retail+tax, including the LV and LB.

If you're going to buy something at a significant premium, like the Daytona, at least it forces you to be more deliberate with what you're choosing to purchase.
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 03:15 AM   #22
4dough
"TRF" Member

buying an Explorer 2, DJ41, and a GMT is playing the game?
4dough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 03:23 AM   #23
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
When u say jewlries and other non Rolex watches for her, How much we talking ? I can't imagine too much spent. Otherwise you got that ss Daytona already. I don't understand who in their right minds would pay 30k plus for a SS Daytona tho. You can buy an AP RO with that same amount of money. Also where is your general location any other nearby Rolex boutique is standalone without jewelry?
Old 19 April 2024, 03:42 AM   #24
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't say you have "nothing to show for it" considering you were able to purchase a 126710BLNR.

Since you mentioned that you wanted the jewelry and other pieces, then no real harm done. If your sights are set on the Daytona, just go grey.
DC116710LN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 03:49 AM   #25
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
There were three Rolex AD's in my market and now it is down to two. I focused my attention on one, even though I frequented all three regularly. I was just lucky to focus on the right one. I could tell by the customer service in the third store that lost their crown that they would not last.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 04:15 AM   #26
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Who was the AD?
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 05:17 AM   #27
illiguy

Which AD?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 05:25 AM   #28
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’m sorry to hear of your situation but when you are cohearsed into buying other watches and jewellery you don’t either want or could buy it cheaper elsewhere on the promise of a watch one day in the future …you get what you deserve.
Old 19 April 2024, 05:27 AM   #29
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdub View Post
I think its hard to give you advice without knowing how much more you want to build out your collection, what pieces you still want, if you have unworn pieces you would be willing to part with to consolidate to get that "grail watch" today, or if you rotate regularly.

That said, scoring a BLNR at retail is a win IMO. Sorry to hear about losing your AD. Seems to be happening more and more these days.

If you got a brand new Pepsi, from an AD, at retail, you shouldn’t feel too bad. If you don’t really want the other 2 Rolexes, trade them to one of our Trusted Sellers toward a watch you do want.I don’t know what jewelry you bought, but If for your wife, it probably made her happy, so that’s not a bad thing. Your other option is to start over with a new AD.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 06:13 AM   #30
taylor2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlsu2008 View Post
Sounds like you got some nice watches out of it. Maybe just take a break from the watch rat race and enjoy what you have for a bit?
Probably the right answer.