The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 October 2021, 12:02 AM   #1
Pops1973
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
hi fi separates any recommendations on brand ? Budget under £10k thx

Looking to upgrade my old hi fi has it fir over 20 years - so I have a budget of up to £10 k any ideas or brands would be appreciated thx
Pops1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 12:23 AM   #2
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
You don’t mention what your system should consist of, turntable, CD player, inclusion of a subwoofer or? Also do you want separates or an integrated amp? An AM/FM tuner or streamer?
From my perspective, put the bulk of the funds into quality speakers, then a good clean amp to power them. There are lots of good names out there. UK companies represent a dominance of the gear.
Personally, I would recommend:
B&W, Martin Logan, KEF, and Wharfedale for speakers.
Parasound, Hegel, NAD, Rega, Yamaha and McIntosh for integrated amps.
Also I am not a fan of overpriced speaker cables or interconnects - buy good quality but don’t go crazy at this point. Build the speakers and amp first then later as funds dictate you can experiment with better cables and see if you can hear incremental quality.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 12:26 AM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Depends on the components that you are looking for but you can never go wrong with McIntosh or Marantz. They offer the older vacuum tube units as well as current offerings for streaming.
Old 4 October 2021, 12:45 AM   #4
Pops1973
Banned

CD player with dab and ability to stream from Spotify and podcasts. If budget allows I would add a turntable. Sound needs to be good quality so I guess speakers and amp would be important. Looking for good quality product. You mentioned English brands I came across Naim not sure if they are any good.
Old 4 October 2021, 02:33 AM   #5
dan993
"TRF" Member

Hi Pops I’m a great fan of PMC speakers being driven by a good Naim amp depending if you wanna go pre and power. Plenty of upgrade ability with separate power units available to clean up the power supply. Where are you in the U.K? Are you using vinyl, CD or streaming?
dan993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 02:37 AM   #6
dan993
"TRF" Member

Sorry Pops saw your post above I get good results with a now discontinued Naim Superuniti which has Spotify built in and PMC twenty24 speakers. You can pick up great used deals and this is my current system with a fairly decent turntable until I go fully active with ATC SCM40A with a Naim NAC N272. Any questions please PM me, Naim make very good high!
dan993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 02:38 AM   #7
Pops1973
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan993 View Post
Hi Pops I’m a great fan of PMC speakers being driven by a good Naim amp depending if you wanna go pre and power. Plenty of upgrade ability with separate power units available to clean up the power supply. Where are you in the U.K? Are you using vinyl, CD or streaming?
East Anglia mostly cd and streaming. Was looking to head into nottingham to Listen to some stuff at Sevenoaks. I never got into vinyl but could start.
Old 4 October 2021, 03:59 AM   #8
Mifune
Banned

10k... buy used.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 06:55 AM   #9
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops1973 View Post
CD player with dab and ability to stream from Spotify and podcasts. If budget allows I would add a turntable. Sound needs to be good quality so I guess speakers and amp would be important. Looking for good quality product. You mentioned English brands I came across Naim not sure if they are any good.
well for $$ value in a CD spinner the Rotel 1072 is hard to beat IMO. Half of your budget should go towards speakers and room acoustics, the two most important components. In so far as amplification I'd consider an integrated unit. Myself I'm a big fan of Rogue Audio in your $$ range.

How big is your room ?
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 06:56 AM   #10
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
10k... buy used.
agreed, so long as you know what you're doing .....
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote