The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 16 August 2012, 08:42 AM   #1
grimjim
Banned

Good prices in Saudi

Hi guys
I went to an AD in Saudi tonight and got a few prices to compare with the UK,after checking the exchange rate they seemed to come out real cheap.

White dial Daytona=£7051
Sub LV= £5271
GMT =£4761

I want a GMT to add to my collection but im starting to think it could be a good idea to bring some Daytonas home to sell
Old 16 August 2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjim View Post
Hi guys
I went to an AD in Saudi tonight and got a few prices to compare with the UK,after checking the exchange rate they seemed to come out real cheap.

White dial Daytona=£7051
Sub LV= £5271
GMT =£4761

I want a GMT to add to my collection but im starting to think it could be a good idea to bring some Daytonas home to sell
Prices seem good but I would double check about any customs duties that you may be liable for, that will quickly erode any savings you might make.
Old 16 August 2012, 08:45 AM   #3
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Hi guys

White dial Daytona=£7051
Sub LV= £5271
GMT =£4761

Don't forget to factor in taxes. After that IMHO not such a great deal after all. Would really stink to get several watches seized by customs.
Old 16 August 2012, 08:49 AM   #4
grimjim
Banned

Well ill get myself a bargain on the GMT but i come back to the UK 4 times a year so I reckon id be able to bring one home everytime no bother.ive never been stopped at my local airport and to be honest i think they are looking for worse things than one watch
Old 16 August 2012, 08:49 AM   #5
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Factor in import VAT, and customs duty (as you're bringing them into the country with the intention to sell), you'll be paying significantly more than full price inc. VAT here
Old 16 August 2012, 08:53 AM   #6
grimjim
Banned

But how can they prove im going to sell ,I always take my Daytona and my planet ocean with me and they have never stopped me before.i understand it might be diffrent if its in the box still but I supose it'll be in my name so i cant see a problem
Old 16 August 2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But how can they prove im going to sell ,I always take my Daytona and my planet ocean with me and they have never stopped me before.i understand it might be diffrent if its in the box still but I supose it'll be in my name so i cant see a problem
I believe they take issue if you are carrying the box, papers and purchase receipt with you.

And it's not so much an intent to sell that makes you liable for customs it is merely the fact that you have purchased the watch abroad that makes you liable.
Old 16 August 2012, 09:01 AM   #8
grimjim
Banned

Well I supose thats the risk but if there is a chance of making a grand everytime on Daytona it could be worth it.
I see many nice watches over here and i bet most the expats bought them here.Ill have to start asking around
Old 16 August 2012, 09:08 AM   #9
joffrey888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I supose thats the risk but if there is a chance of making a grand everytime on Daytona it could be worth it.
I see many nice watches over here and i bet most the expats bought them here.Ill have to start asking around

great ask around first then if you will not pay any additional charges buy it coz we all want to save a dollar or two so that we can buy more.....
Old 16 August 2012, 09:15 AM   #10
grimjim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffrey888 View Post
great ask around first then if you will not pay any additional charges buy it coz we all want to save a dollar or two so that we can buy more.....
Ill make it my mission to find out ,i could even wear the watch home and get one of my mates to bring the box on another flight.
Like I said Im pretty sure the UK customs have more things to worry about than the odd watch slipping through the net.
plus ive just thought that im actually a Saudi resident and im out the UK tax system now so maybe id be exempt from paying anything anyway
Old 16 August 2012, 09:16 AM   #11
ROGERWILCO357

Watch: Submariner LV
hmm sounds like smuggling?
Old 16 August 2012, 09:23 AM   #12
grimjim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGERWILCO357 View Post
hmm sounds like smuggling?
Yeah it might well be !
you can probably tell by the way ive announced my idea on here that im not a hardend smuggler yet though lol

I supose this must be how the grey market works.I often wonderd where these cheap new Rollies came from
Old 16 August 2012, 09:37 AM   #13
jay1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well ill get myself a bargain on the GMT but i come back to the UK 4 times a year so I reckon id be able to bring one home everytime no bother.ive never been stopped at my local airport and to be honest i think they are looking for worse things than one watch
The debate about the risk/reward off "smuggling" watches is a weekly topic on this forum. I think if you bring one back four times a year with the idea of selling it on ? That's maybe crossing the line. If someone told me they had just brought one back and not declared it I wouldn't mind because I think the idea of taxing a personal item is wrong. However if you are starting to deal watches this way then you should be paying.

However it is a choice. Like you I have never been stopped at my airport but sods law says this is the time you get stopped. You would be in trouble if you got caught with papers, receipts and warranty cards etc. but having the box with you is pretty reasonable to store it. If you book an incoming flight for anywhere between 9 at night and 3 in the morning. The customs area is usually pretty clear with one guy who's only gonna stop you if you look really dodgy.

It's a personal risk to take. If you get caught then come and post your story here as a deterrent. If you get away with it ? I really wouldn't brag about it. If I had ever successfully brought a Rolex into the country I would be telling everyone I paid full RRP for it.

I can see the Dailymail article now "Man taxed and fined £15,000 after bragging about Rolex he snuck past customs on watch forum".
Old 16 August 2012, 09:44 AM   #14
caryyee
"TRF" Member

Just beware ... once you get flagged, you will probably be forever on their system, so you may possibly be stopped more frequently on subsequent flights. I never buy to sell, I always buy for myself, so my conscience is reasonably clear lol :-)
Old 16 August 2012, 09:50 AM   #15
jay1988
"TRF" Member

Another thing. How did you convert the prices ? Did you just use an online calculator ? They usually do not factor in the price you will pay with a credit card exchange rate.
Old 16 August 2012, 10:04 AM   #16
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
I really think you are missing the point. Smuggling is smuggling and in reality, no, they don't care what it is. You keep saying "they have worse things to look for" but they do look for luxury brands and large purchases being taken in between countries. Get flagged and you wont have a pleasant travel experience EVER again. Read some past posts on the subjec and there are plenty. There was someone just just fined $40k over this. Why even mess with it? It's your money, your choice and your butt.
Old 16 August 2012, 11:13 AM   #17
RolexDivers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
I really think you are missing the point. Smuggling is smuggling and in reality, no, they don't care what it is. You keep saying "they have worse things to look for" but they do look for luxury brands and large purchases being taken in between countries. Get flagged and you wont have a pleasant travel experience EVER again. Read some past posts on the subjec and there are plenty. There was someone just just fined $40k over this. Why even mess with it? It's your money, your choice and your butt.
Best advice ever man!!!
Looks like a vast amount of members here are dying to be on the
"Lockedup Abroad" show!
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ked-up-abroad/

Comeon guys, wanna feel like superman, then buy one watch, wear it through customs and consider yourself lucky and you are done. Make a habit out of it, and you're gonna do some time.

It is the "I'm invincible" mentality that takes over, when you get away with it a few times and then all of a sudden WHAM!!! you're in the slammmer, with grown men eyeing your rear end like it was a "steak and lobster" dinner plate ......
No thanks!!!-----(I get enough of that in my office!!!!)
Old 16 August 2012, 05:00 PM   #18
grimjim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1988 View Post
Another thing. How did you convert the prices ? Did you just use an online calculator ? They usually do not factor in the price you will pay with a credit card exchange rate.
Yeah I did it with XE converter
Old 16 August 2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Feras
Banned

Watch: Rolex,Tag
grimjim, if you are in Saudi and intersted in lower prices PM me i can check for you our local ADs' prices
Old 16 August 2012, 06:46 PM   #20
Puffy
"TRF" Member

if you look half decent and wear half decent clothes no one is going to stop you on the way in

you're not coming from a high risk area like africa or the caribbean

risk of getting stopped with 3-4 watches is minimum

alternatively fedex back the box and papers and put the watches in your carry on

of course only you can decide what to do
Old 16 August 2012, 10:40 PM   #21
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The prices aren't bad. The GMT is about £250 cheaper than the list price at Hong Kong ADs.
Old 16 August 2012, 11:24 PM   #22
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I did it with XE converter
That won't be the rate you actually get from your bank when you pay on your CC. I'd double check with your bank what rate they will offer you on your CC transactions.
Old 17 August 2012, 12:07 AM   #23
grimjim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1988 View Post
That won't be the rate you actually get from your bank when you pay on your CC. I'd double check with your bank what rate they will offer you on your CC transactions.
I also have a saudi bank account so thats not a problem
Old 17 August 2012, 12:08 AM   #24
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
IBTL!
Old 17 August 2012, 12:16 AM   #25
grimjim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
IBTL!
eh ?
Old 17 August 2012, 12:47 AM   #26
AH0RSEY
"TRF" Member

Watch: OUT !!!!
These prices don't really seem that attractive given that there are already a boatload of these watches in the UK and you'd still need find someone who would buy. Factor in the cc charges, risk and potential you can't shift em.... don't think this is really a get rich quick scheme....

but its your lucky day!!! cos I've got this fantastic Bridge selling opportunity that we can sell onto our US friends ;o)
Old 17 August 2012, 01:20 AM   #27
mjrennie
Banned

Watch: 116618 LB
Quote:
eh ?
In Before The Lock.

Jim, sounds good but in practice it's really not worth it for all the good reasons mentioned above.
Old 17 August 2012, 01:32 AM   #28
grimjim
Banned

You guys are probably right ,to be honest ive never really made money from anything other than working for a living.
if i had a friend I knew that wanted one id bring one back for them no problems,but I reckon im just going to treat myself to the GMT next month and go back for the LV next year,
Hopefully that'll be the last time I ever spend money on watches :)
Old 17 August 2012, 01:58 AM   #29
gimpex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C LV / Exp II
If you just looking for the thrill of going through customs , I will let you buy me a watch, but only one please.
Old 17 August 2012, 02:10 AM   #30
aria
Banned

Watch: DD,DJ,AK
could always buy abroard and post box/papers/reciept and wear watch on flight home?
Closed Thread