The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 May 2019, 12:27 PM   #1
911NBK
Banned

Watch: A Rolex
This is super disappointing. Hopefully Rolex makes this right

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
911NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 02:43 PM   #2
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Surely that is wear&tear issue. That’s a rubber strap. How long do you expect it to last? I had a rubber B that lasted like around 9 months.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 04:24 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
Surely that is wear&tear issue. That’s a rubber strap. How long do you expect it to last? I had a rubber B that lasted like around 9 months.

Crazy.....

The more I hear about Rubber B, the less I want anything to do with it.

My Panerai OEM rubber strap is 8 years old and still going strong.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
Well didn’t expect this to happen... I’ve dailyed my 116519LN for just over the last year now and just noticed one of the fins on the underside of the bracelet is starting to tear off. I haven’t been abusive to the watch at all so this comes as a bit of a surprise. You think Rolex covers this under their warranty or is this “wear and tear”? I’d hope Rolex would replace for free given the watch is 1 year old.

Please let us know the outcome.

Seeing the Oysterflex like that, the fin does look like a ridiculously weak point.....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 04:53 PM   #5
perf0rmance
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Sub’d for results.

Good luck!
perf0rmance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 05:17 PM   #6
365DAS
"TRF" Member

Another thought...

I know my AD in particular carry the OF straps in store as they have different sizes if required so I’d be confident that if mine was to ever have the same issue then they’d just replace in store...OP, you could try this route first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
365DAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 06:58 PM   #7
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I can see Rolex saying this is not covered under warranty, but look forward to seeing their response.

I think they would be short-sighted not to replace it as a ‘goodwill gesture’ – after all the straps will cost them very little to manufacture and I hope they do the honourable thing and swap it.

If they don’t exchange it, the damage to brand just on this forum alone would be massive (It is a watch I would contemplate in the near future – but will not if Rolex don’t exchange it)

Incidentally, in the UK if a product does not perform as ‘reasonably expected’, under consumer law it could be argued it is not ‘fit for purpose’. I would certainly think this to be the case here.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 08:32 PM   #8
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
I can see Rolex saying this is not covered under warranty, but look forward to seeing their response.

I think they would be short-sighted not to replace it as a ‘goodwill gesture’ – after all the straps will cost them very little to manufacture and I hope they do the honourable thing and swap it.

If they don’t exchange it, the damage to brand just on this forum alone would be massive (It is a watch I would contemplate in the near future – but will not if Rolex don’t exchange it)

Incidentally, in the UK if a product does not perform as ‘reasonably expected’, under consumer law it could be argued it is not ‘fit for purpose’. I would certainly think this to be the case here.
The ‘not fit for purpose’ argument ignores the elephant in the room which is accidental damage. The photo shows rubber torn and detached from more rubber. Is a stretch to think it just looked like that one morning. A lot of people have sympathetically opined how terrible it is and Rolex should cover it. But we have to ask ourselves what has happened here....it is a torn rubber strap.

As I said previously I think the chances of a goodwill replacement are good because it hardly seems worth the argument. But that doesn’t make it a warranty issue.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 10:07 PM   #9
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
The ‘not fit for purpose’ argument ignores the elephant in the room which is accidental damage. The photo shows rubber torn and detached from more rubber. Is a stretch to think it just looked like that one morning. A lot of people have sympathetically opined how terrible it is and Rolex should cover it. But we have to ask ourselves what has happened here....it is a torn rubber strap.

As I said previously I think the chances of a goodwill replacement are good because it hardly seems worth the argument. But that doesn’t make it a warranty issue.
Dude I told you, nothing happened here aside from wearing the watch. I literally baby the hell out of this thing. This was truly due to normal wear and for it to happen in just over one year tells me one thing - poor design.

We’ll see if Rolex stands behind their design.

For those who say they only expect rubber to last 6 months, that’s absurd.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 10:12 PM   #10
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Dude I told you, nothing happened here aside from wearing the watch. I literally baby the hell out of this thing. This was truly due to normal wear and for it to happen in just over one year tells me one thing - poor design.

We’ll see if Rolex stands behind their design.

For those who say they only expect rubber to last 6 months, that’s absurd.
It’s nothing personal. But if it is a poor design I would expect to see the same thing happen frequently. One anomaly has no statistical value if we are to make claims like ‘poor design’.

I do hope they sort it out for you though
Old 11 May 2019, 10:36 PM   #11
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
The ‘not fit for purpose’ argument ignores the elephant in the room which is accidental damage.

I see no reason to doubt the OP has only used the watch as it is designed for – and in any case, see no scenario for accidental damage causing this example of damage.

It may be a perfectly good design – but even the best product can have flaws on a one of basis.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 02:31 AM   #12
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
I see no reason to doubt the OP has only used the watch as it is designed for – and in any case, see no scenario for accidental damage causing this example of damage.

It may be a perfectly good design – but even the best product can have flaws on a one of basis.
I don’t think Scott is saying that the OP actually caused the tear.
I believe he is saying that Rolex will most likely deny the warranty saying that the user caused the tear somehow (since this sort of problem was unheard of previously)

Good luck to u OP
Hope Rolex takes care of u
Old 11 May 2019, 10:48 PM   #13
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would believe your AD will replace the strap on site if it is on hand at no charge. Things happen and customer service is the what is important. If it falls under the warranty they can handle it and let Rolex get them another strap back and you should walk out with a new Rubber strap. Good luck and keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 10:58 PM   #14
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
That sucks. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 11:01 PM   #15
Ballzzz

Interested to see how this is handled, good luck OP.
Old 11 May 2019, 11:08 PM   #16
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
My guess is they’ll just replace the band as a good will jesture. Please keep us updated. I have one, but it’s worn in a 4 watch rotation.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 11:26 PM   #17
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
My guess is they’ll just replace the band as a good will jesture. Please keep us updated. I have one, but it’s worn in a 4 watch rotation.
Hope so! Will let everyone know the outcome later today.

Mine is part of a "rotation" as well. The only problem is I never rotate it, haha
Old 11 May 2019, 11:31 PM   #18
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
That’s a pretty tough place to cause any deliberate damage. The only thing I could think of was if you wore the watch super, super tight, which I’m sure you don’t.

Back in 2012 I had a GMT that was losing 20 minutes a day and was 4 months past its two year warranty. I sent it in and received a free complimentary service. So they have been known to do the right thing.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 12:42 AM   #19
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
That’s a pretty tough place to cause any deliberate damage. The only thing I could think of was if you wore the watch super, super tight, which I’m sure you don’t.

Back in 2012 I had a GMT that was losing 20 minutes a day and was 4 months past its two year warranty. I sent it in and received a free complimentary service. So they have been known to do the right thing.
Agreed with your assessment. I wear the watch snug but not super tight. When it’s hot, I sometimes adjust the watch on my wrist - this is the only action I can think of which would cause this. I now worry that these will fail every year or so with normal wear. Will be interesting to see if other owners encounter the same issue.

That’s great to hear of Rolex servicing your GMT even though it was just out of service.. It’s instances like this where Rolex makes or breaks their reputation.
Old 12 May 2019, 01:27 AM   #20
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
Could have had a small micro-tear when you bought the watch the grew as you wore it. Hopefully Rolex replaces it -- would show good faith on their part
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 01:36 AM   #21
smym18
"TRF" Member

Weren't there a few comments in the damaged Rubber B thread saying this is why they'll only use a Rolex strap and that Rolex rubber would never break? Well...
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 02:40 AM   #22
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

The OP says it’s not abused during wear. Could it be from taking the watch in and off countless times?
I know when I do that it could impose some stresses on the fins if not careful.
I’ll definitely be more cautious when doing it myself after reading this.
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 02:41 AM   #23
KBM

I feel it should be covered, but rubber is, well... rubber. What would a reasonable life span be for the oysterflex?
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 02:58 AM   #24
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
I feel it should be covered, but rubber is, well... rubber. What would a reasonable life span be for the oysterflex?
If they give the watch a 5-year warranty I don’t think it’s too outrageous to expect a lifespan of that time with reasonable wear.
Old 12 May 2019, 04:48 AM   #25
KBM

Quote:
If they give the watch a 5-year warranty I don’t think it’s too outrageous to expect a lifespan of that time with reasonable wear.
I understand the sentiment, especially when talking about a high ticket, luxury item. But I don't think the comparison between the watche's warranty period and the life span of a rubber (or leather) strap seems fair. Regardless, I hope they cover it and please keep us posted.

Old 12 May 2019, 05:13 AM   #26
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
I understand the sentiment, especially when talking about a high ticket, luxury item. But I don't think the comparison between the watche's warranty period and the life span of a rubber (or leather) strap seems fair. Regardless, I hope they cover it and please keep us posted.

Straps are almost universally not covered by any warranty (at least to the same extent as the watch itself) because they are open to the environment and subject to wear and damage by the user or other people.

If a strap keeper torn on a leather strap after one year it would be equally unlikely any brand would call this a manufacturing defect. But they may still replace it as a gesture.

We need to stop saying things like ‘Rolex will replace this’ or ‘Rolex should replace this’ as this raises expectations that may not be met and it happens all to often that people are disappointed more than they other wise would have been had a forum full of people not told them they were right.

As I said I hope you get this sorted for free.
Old 12 May 2019, 05:30 AM   #27
KBM

Quote:
Straps are almost universally not covered by any warranty (at least to the same extent as the watch itself) because they are open to the environment and subject to wear and damage by the user or other people.

If a strap keeper torn on a leather strap after one year it would be equally unlikely any brand would call this a manufacturing defect. But they may still replace it as a gesture.

We need to stop saying things like ‘Rolex will replace this’ or ‘Rolex should replace this’ as this raises expectations that may not be met and it happens all to often that people are disappointed more than they other wise would have been had a forum full of people not told them they were right.

As I said I hope you get this sorted for free.
My feelings exactly.
Old 12 May 2019, 04:57 AM   #28
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Reasonable wear is not a definitive term nor can it be measured, so time owned is the better way for Rolex to implement a replacement policy if it has one. Interested to know what their's is.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 04:56 AM   #29
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
If it costs $300 then a year is probably the cut off point, I'd say two was more reasonable.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 07:35 AM   #30
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
I would be very surprised if Rolex didn’t replace it free of charge.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote