The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 February 2024, 05:08 PM   #31
Gva1985
"TRF" Member

I agree with everything op has said. I would also add that it is a comparatively thicker watch compared to a Daytona or even Gmt so not ideal to fit under a cuff. I found it impractical as a daily, as I much preferred my black face Daytona, and as a holiday watch a bit boring compared to e.g. a Hulk.
Gva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 05:55 PM   #32
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
I really wanted a Sub but for me now, id take a 41mm Datejust Wimbledon over the sub.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 06:17 PM   #33
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the input and you guys sharing your experiences. Will probably sell it this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclr View Post
'I don’t care about exclusivity but the fact that it’s so ubiquitous isn’t cool for me.' This makes no sense to me but if the watch isn't doing anything for you, move on and find something that you truly connect with.
In other words - I don’t necessarily want something that no one has (or is unattainable); rather I don’t want something that everyone has…

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
Well you will see them sometimes, more so in certain circles. Would be interested in what kind of conference you were at.

What car do you drive?
Real estate conference. Saw some cool pieces but the amount of black subs I saw were something else.

Lexus hybrid hatchback and Tesla Model Y Performance
Old 4 February 2024, 07:05 PM   #34
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
I understand with the new ones. I think the 4 and 5 digits are more interesting and I rarely see them "in the wild".
Yes
Old 4 February 2024, 07:11 PM   #35
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Does this mean if the Ads offered the interested buyers to try the watches instead of just seeing them from the display . The lists might get shorter as people will move on to another model if they don't like that certain model ! hmm

Coming back to the subject , yes I'm not connected with the black sub date , maybe the no date to put it on rubber however the only reason I have a sub is that I have my hulk from 9 years ago otherwise I wouldn't buy one now .
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 07:19 PM   #36
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Sounds like it’s time for you to move on. That’s ok. It’s been done before.

For me, when considering the Submariner, I went with the 116610LV in part because it was a bit different from the black. Thirteen years later, it’s still my favorite watch.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 07:34 PM   #37
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622 & 126333
For me, Sub’s (& GMT’s for that matter) hold little interest.

A black SS Sub is vanilla looking & far too common to be exciting. I’ve turned one down a couple of times. Understand why you feel the need to offload it.
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 07:54 PM   #38
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

No harm in moving it on OP, what about the YM if you wanted similar style but with a bit more flair?

Understand your reasoning but the sub has to be my favourite. It isn’t flashy and its slightly boring but that’s part of the appeal for me - it just does its job no fuss, is reliable and dependable and suits any occasion.

I have other watches that are more interesting or have a splash of colour, but if I could only keep one it would be the sub.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 08:14 PM   #39
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Sell it and replace it with a 16610 (5 digit Sub). That's a watch! or another option is a 16600 SD.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 08:22 PM   #40
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Sell it and move on if you do not like it, that is why this forum is so good for opinions and to sell what you get sick of. Good luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 09:32 PM   #41
TheSearcher
"TRF" Member

I have a sub and it’s the one I wear the least, always found it to be a watch that looks great on other peoples wrist over mine.
TheSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 09:58 PM   #42
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
I had the 114060 and the 116LV and got bored with both and sold them. Nowadays I sometimes think about buying a sub again. Probably would go for the WG one now.

Same here, could never connect with my 114060, also found it quite uncomfortable for daily wear (actually I find all oyster bracelets somewhat sharp and uncomfortable on my 17cm wrist) and so I sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 10:07 PM   #43
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Best watch ever. And I very rarely ever see one out in the wild. But to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 10:50 PM   #44
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
About 3 weeks ago I got the call for a 126610LN. I was happy at the time, but over the course of several weeks, just really didn’t connect with it.

It’s a very basic monotone looking watch. Though I do get the appeal of it being a great daily. That said, I was at a conference last week, every Joe Schmoe had one. I don’t care about exclusivity but the fact that it’s so ubiquitous isn’t cool for me.

I’m thinking about moving on (maybe to add a 126711CHNR or a neovintage AP, or hold out for a SS GMT / SkyD blue or green).

Kind of venting here, but interested to hear what other people think or if they have ever had a similar experience.

Some pics for your time.

No big deal. I've owned 4 and moved them. On my 5th now, a 124060.

I actually don't think subs and GMTs sit nice on the wrist (all have fly away straight lugs) so I don't wear them much. Ended up selling my BLRO this year too due to nonuse and being annoyed by the colors.

I think skyD blue is a great choice. Turned down lugs and case shape sit perfectly on the wrist. A very special movement for Rolex also.
Old 4 February 2024, 10:54 PM   #45
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Same thing happened with me, I eventually sold my 2021 Subdate after two plus years & purchased a pre owned Hulk.
Old 4 February 2024, 11:03 PM   #46
BlueMo
"TRF" Member

Have you tried SD43 (126600)?
BlueMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:22 PM   #47
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
I know what you’re saying. It was my first Rolex back in 97, and I do love the Submariner, but I’ve said it before….its the most common one, or another brands version of one, (black dial/bezel diver) that I see when out and about.
I mean…Rolex in general, or the Sub, isn’t seen on 8 of 10 people I see when I’m out and about…but I’d say definitely the black dial/bezel Sub is most common when I see a Rolex on the wrist.
I currently wear a 116600 or 126618 for that reason. I know the SD is the same to 99% of the population who’d see it on my wrist, but it’s just for my own satisfaction. I really love the graduated bezel, that's the “it” factor for me.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:24 PM   #48
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
In other words - I don’t necessarily want something that no one has (or is unattainable); rather I don’t want something that everyone has…
Sounds like you desire something far less market-saturated. Hmmm, have a look at H. Moser, Parmigiani, Christopher Ward, Czapek, Bell&Ross... Sounds to me like you need to forget the typical brands as you'll see them A LOT at business meetings, GTG, etc.

There's an ABUNDANCE of choices out there, seek and ye shall find.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:34 PM   #49
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
It's funny about the sub, yes it is the most popular and worn by many. But, every time I move on from my sub, I end up missing the damn thing and I start looking for one again. Personally speaking, it's a watch that is a "beater" for me, worn everywhere and a lot. As soon as I think of selling it, the thought of requiring one comes haunting me. It is just a plain SS with black on black that is so versatile is the allure. Sounds like you will sell it, hopefully, you do not end up missing it.
1st amg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:37 PM   #50
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
I totally understand your feelings. I have the sub in the 126 WG and LV so they are different. I rarely see an LV out nor a WG sub so to me they are unique. My stainless divers are the 126 Sea Dweller which is much bigger along with my DSSD JC. I have not missed the black sub and if I do I will wear my 1680 sub.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:42 PM   #51
Bmats

Obviously if you didn’t connect with it then it’s not worth it. My sub is far from my favorite watch but I keep coming back to it every few months. It doesn’t bother me that others have them.

On some levels, the ubiquitous concern may be Rolex in general. There are more date justs than subs and more subs than GMTs and more GMTs than Daytonas. But if you’re going places where you see tons of subs and don’t like that it’s probably just Rolex. You could consider other brands.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:44 PM   #52
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I think alot of new to Rolex buyers think you must have an LN Sub in your collection. I thought the 114060 was my grail watch when I got it. Over time tastes can change.

I actually get the desire to buy a DJ 41 every once in a while. I had a very plain one, Silver dial, oyster bracelet, smooth bezel and I got tired of it after 6 years, and traded it for a Panerai. I would consider a new one with a fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet, some color in the dial. Or maybe a Chrono, like a Navitimer. But I don't miss the Subs.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:47 PM   #53
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Most big watchmaking brands produce bland watches. Rolex makes best dailies therefore u see them in a daily life. In submariner range, Bluesy is the one that stands out. I would get that. In general, have to go indie to get diversity.
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:48 PM   #54
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I had 2 Subs, a 114060 and a 116610 for about 6 years. Needed a change and traded both of them for a BLNR and a VTNR. The blue of the BLNR and the LH controls of the VTNR are very cool, different looks. And I don't see either in the wild.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:57 PM   #55
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
Most big watchmaking brands produce bland watches. Rolex makes best dailies therefore u see them in a daily life. In submariner range, Bluesy is the one that stands out. I would get that. In general, have to go indie to get diversity.
+1 for the Bluesy.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 12:39 AM   #56
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I started with a Submariner more than 30 years ago and think it is the greatest watch produced by Rolex for looks and versatility. With that said, I understand where the OP is coming from and at times in my collecting/hoarding I have also wanted watches that are more unique and less common. With so many options out there the OP should have plenty of choices. I equate my SS Submariner to my Toyota 4Runner. Not flashy but good looking for those who appreciate the ecstatic of a SUV that is not over the top but will go over the top time and time again. They also have some of the best resale value in class and the engines typically go 250,000-300,000 miles with regular service. Not sexy, my Lexus LC500 is though. My point is always do as you want, but in the long run, you can own many/several different watches and the Submariner can be a cornerstone of any collection.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 12:41 AM   #57
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
I had a 16600, 16610 and 16610LV which I did not keep long (the 16600 a bit longer). Then I had a 16613 for which I had Rolex Geneva HQ put a Sultan dial on, but I sold it not too long afterwards (I regret it actually). Now I just bought another 16613 which I intend to keep (famous last words, I know).

Old 5 February 2024, 01:39 AM   #58
SLMinATX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
When buying my first Rolex in the mid 90's, I went in thinking I would get a Sub. Ended up with the Explorer 2 polar. No regrets. And when I started growing my collection several years ago I again resisted the Sub and bought the all black GMT. But I kept looking at the Sub and eventually traded the GMT for one. No regrets...I love my Sub. I get what you are saying, OP, if you don't love it, sell it and get what you really want. The only way to really know if you love a particular watch is to own it and live with it a while.

This applies to my Pepsi...everyone wanted one, it's a classic timepiece, so I bought one. Two years in and I'm honestly not connecting with it. It's my least worn piece. And when I find the Day Date I want, at the right price, the Pepsi will go. Great watch, but for me it's just not getting enough write time to justify keeping it.
SLMinATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 01:51 AM   #59
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I've had the sub for six weeks and I absolutely love it. It's my far by favorite watch and I didn't have to squint or justify my love for it. I actually never had any interest in Rolex until my Wife convinced me to check out the Rolex store on Michigan avenue after visiting Omega.

The minute it was on my wrist, I said I gotta have it. I don't think I've really felt that way about any watch period - "I GOTTA HAVE IT."

But for you it didn't click, so you should let it go. I feel like if I end up getting a GMT I'm going to make a similar post to you. My recommendation is if you want something more unique, I would go for a GMT, I rarely see them in the wild.

Side note - I was at a conference last Summer and I was getting some serious Sub envy - it's midnight and I'm with a group of clients having a drink and in this circle every single person had a submariner on, it was pretty funny.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 02:10 AM   #60
Eyas
"TRF" Member

Totally agree and similarly in my line of business they are everywhere- along with a Mont Blanc pen you see them so often you’d think it was compulsory to have them! Hence I went for the 126600 instead … just different enough for me.
Eyas is offline   Reply With Quote