The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 August 2021, 06:54 AM   #31
jn_time
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtbatman View Post
sorry you had to go through this, and thank you for the report.

how does it work with them paying the jeweler for the watch on a SS Rolex? did you have it covered for the grey market price?
They will only cover up to the coverage limit. My watch was a 116520 Daytona and when at the time I started my coverage, the watch was valued at $17,000 so that is my limit. Obviously it' almost impossible impossible to get another Daytona for $17,000 so I'm settling for a newer GMT.
jn_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 06:57 AM   #32
jn_time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoscopist View Post
so if the market value of a 124060 is around $14,000 or so, you would use that as the "value" when insuring through Hodinkee (and pay $600/yr vs $350).

I did pay retail for this watch, however, I guess it is worth more on the gray market...600$ seems steep but i guess that's how that goes for that high value
Paying for insurance is never fun but when it comes to situation that this, I was glad that I had it. I was paying $600 for my watch valued at $17,000 but the lowest deductible I could get was $1,000.
Old 18 August 2021, 06:58 AM   #33
jn_time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
so if the market value of a 124060 is around $14,000 or so, you would use that as the "value" when insuring through Hodinkee (and pay $600/yr vs $350).

I did pay retail for this watch, however, I guess it is worth more on the gray market...600$ seems steep but i guess that's how that goes for that high value
It's worth paying extra when it comes to situation like this
Old 18 August 2021, 07:04 AM   #34
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

I mentioned in an earlier post that I moved my more appreciable watches to Hodinkee. The value I used was a couple thousand over retail because they will cover for 150 percent of the watch to compensate for true market value. Basically I’m paying for 12k in insurance with potential coverage of 150% of that, which gets me close to gray market price for pieces like my BLNR…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 07:07 AM   #35
ThatOtherGuy7
"TRF" Member

Curious: if your name is on the policy and your wife, mom, or sister wears the watch and it’s lost or damaged, is it covered? Or is it only covered if it’s being worn by the person on the policy?
ThatOtherGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 07:09 AM   #36
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
I mentioned in an earlier post that I moved my more appreciable watches to Hodinkee. The value I used was a couple thousand over retail because they will cover for 150 percent of the watch to compensate for true market value. Basically I’m paying for 12k in insurance with potential coverage of 150% of that, which gets me close to gray market price for pieces like my BLNR…
ah yes I see... I did see that 150% mentioned there so that is helpful. So in this case, insuring a submariner for 9000 or so should (with this 150%) get close to market value in the event of a claim
Endoscopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 07:10 AM   #37
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Extremely helpful! I’m curious as to how much the premium will go up. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 07:14 AM   #38
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ah yes I see... I did see that 150% mentioned there so that is helpful. So in this case, insuring a submariner for 9000 or so should (with this 150%) get close to market value in the event of a claim
Actually, this is not the case. The maximum payout is the policy limit: read this from their FAQ - workaround is to insure more than one watch (include wife's watch as well for example so that the policy limit is closer to $15,000)

How do I determine the value I set for my watch?
No matter the situation, in the event of a loss, you would never be paid out more than the total value of the items you have listed in your policy – this is also known as the policy limit.

When you only have one watch you should insure it at its full current market value. That's because the one watch's value will also be the total amount of coverage – and, thus, the policy limit.

When you insure multiple watches, you can benefit in certain situations from market value protection that insures a watch up to 150% of its value, subject to the total amount of coverage. Say you have a two-watch collection, for example a new 2021 Rolex Submariner purchased at $8,100 and a vintage 1970s Cartier Santos-Dumont purchased at $9,500. Your insurance policy would be issued with a $17,600 policy limit, or total amount of coverage. Now say your Submariner was stolen and, at the time of loss, it had increased in value to $12,150. With the market value protection adding 150% appreciation protection up to the policy limit, in this example you'd be insured up to $12,150.
Endoscopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 07:20 AM   #39
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Sorry about the loss. Glad you had it insured. I have a question regarding the photograph. What kind of photos did they require? I mean was one head on OK or did they want a few detailed close-ups.

I use JM for all my jewelry. They have all the appraisals/BOS but I never gave photos a thought. Thanks!
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 08:14 AM   #40
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo E View Post
I have my BLRO insured through JM at market value.

How did you get them to accept it at “market value”?

In the sake of full disclosure, I tried this 3 years ago a bit before “market value” really became a thing with most Rolex, AP, and Patek watches. They told me they would only insure at a value an appraiser would provide, and no legitimate/licensed appraiser would write an appraisal at “market value”. The most they’d ever appraise it for was the price I paid (i.e., MSRP).

It’s possible they’ve modernized their offering for watches.

Another huge issue I had with JMIC is they refused to insure several watches “because I travel for work”. Which, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard of. I didn’t have time to deal with a company stuck in 1985, so I researched and went elsewhere and have found several better options out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18 August 2021, 08:26 AM   #41
JSol1

Quote:
Actually, this is not the case. The maximum payout is the policy limit: read this from their FAQ - workaround is to insure more than one watch (include wife's watch as well for example so that the policy limit is closer to $15,000)

How do I determine the value I set for my watch?
No matter the situation, in the event of a loss, you would never be paid out more than the total value of the items you have listed in your policy – this is also known as the policy limit.

When you only have one watch you should insure it at its full current market value. That's because the one watch's value will also be the total amount of coverage – and, thus, the policy limit.

When you insure multiple watches, you can benefit in certain situations from market value protection that insures a watch up to 150% of its value, subject to the total amount of coverage. Say you have a two-watch collection, for example a new 2021 Rolex Submariner purchased at $8,100 and a vintage 1970s Cartier Santos-Dumont purchased at $9,500. Your insurance policy would be issued with a $17,600 policy limit, or total amount of coverage. Now say your Submariner was stolen and, at the time of loss, it had increased in value to $12,150. With the market value protection adding 150% appreciation protection up to the policy limit, in this example you'd be insured up to $12,150.
This is correct, in my case I have 2 watches out of 5 insured with them, so my total limit is for both watches. Works if I ever only lost one of them. The rest of mine are with JM at appraised value…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 09:09 AM   #42
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
How did you get them to accept it at “market value”? In the sake of full disclosure, I tried this 3 years ago a bit before “market value” really became a thing with most Rolex, AP, and Patek watches. They told me they would only insure at a value an appraiser would provide, and no legitimate/licensed appraiser would write an appraisal at “market value”. The most they’d ever appraise it for was the price I paid (i.e., MSRP).
My watches are insured through JM. Purchased a BLRO last year at my AD, about a week later I took it to our local jeweler who has a certified appraiser - he supplied a written appraisal for 'market value' of $23k. Uploaded the appraisal to JM, and they duly insured it at that amount.

Only issue with JM is they insist you get new appraisals every 3 years - not a problem with a single watch, but when you have quite a few pieces it can get costly - each appraisal is around $70.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 09:29 AM   #43
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
Sorry about the loss. Glad you had it insured. I have a question regarding the photograph. What kind of photos did they require? I mean was one head on OK or did they want a few detailed close-ups.

I use JM for all my jewelry. They have all the appraisals/BOS but I never gave photos a thought. Thanks!
I think they have recently started collecting pics for their own records. When I took out a new JM policy, they sent me an app that they used to take photos with my iPhone. With that app I took about 30 close ups of the watch showing SN, paperwork, bill of sale, appraisal, and images of the safe and UL fire- and tool-resistant plaques. I keep very similar pictures to what I took for JM in an encrypted app that lives on a cloud, so those files would be easily accessible but also secure.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 09:41 AM   #44
DAC2
Banned

Watch: Pt 228206 ice blue
I have JM and I am glad to read your advice. I hope i never have to use them but... I will also check out some other insurers as well. Thanks for the post.
DAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 10:01 AM   #45
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
I think they have recently started collecting pics for their own records. When I took out a new JM policy, they sent me an app that they used to take photos with my iPhone. With that app I took about 30 close ups of the watch showing SN, paperwork, bill of sale, appraisal, and images of the safe and UL fire- and tool-resistant plaques. I keep very similar pictures to what I took for JM in an encrypted app that lives on a cloud, so those files would be easily accessible but also secure.
Thanks! I started my policy back in 2015.
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 10:18 AM   #46
dannyp
Banned

Curious: Did your jeweler give your replacement request any kind of priority? Figured that a jeweler with a JM relationship of its own might prioritize such claims.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 10:36 AM   #47
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
What kinda hockey puck leaves a Rolex in their car?
Did they take the whole car or just the watch?

Op, thanks I'm just pokin ya! Good on you to post up real life
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 04:06 AM   #48
Hawk44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
Same reason I went with them and I think they cut a check instead of having to deal directly with a jeweler. So god forbid you could reach out to a gray and get a quick replacement and not take a hit.
Hawk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 04:57 AM   #49
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by jn_time View Post
Yup that is correct. My 116520 Daytona was stolen and the coverage is only $19,500. I can't get a replacement for that price so I can either choose to get a watch at that price or cough up the difference to get another Daytona.

Sorry for the loss and thanks for sharing.

Just curious as to why you had to settle for a GMT. Aren’t you able to get a ceramic daytona instead, considering the AD can sell one for MSRP, which under the insured value?

azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 07:50 AM   #50
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Jewelers Mutual Insurance Process/Experience

After reading this thread and doing a little research into Hodinkee’s new watch insurance I decided to go ahead and get a quote. Surprisingly, I stand to save 40% off my Jewelers Mutual premium, they don’t require a deductible, and they offer cash payout at market value up to 150% of insured value (as opposed to replacement only which has, in part, caused OP’s predicament). Still a bit more research to do, but very intriguing.

HippoPAPAmus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 08:51 AM   #51
ThatOtherGuy7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoPAPAmus View Post
After reading this thread and doing a little research into Hodinkee’s new watch insurance I decided to go ahead and get a quote. Surprisingly, I stand to save 40% off my Jewelers Mutual premium, they don’t require a deductible, and they offer cash payout at market value up to 150% of insured value (as opposed to replacement only which has, in part, caused OP’s predicament). Still a bit more research to do, but very intriguing.

I did the same thing after some posts above. It was $280 through Hodinkee vs $380 through JM. Hodinkee has more favorable terms too. Ended up with State Farm as they’re even cheaper vs Hondinkee with similar-ish coverage.
Old 21 August 2021, 09:17 AM   #52
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy7 View Post
I did the same thing after some posts above. It was $280 through Hodinkee vs $380 through JM. Hodinkee has more favorable terms too. Ended up with State Farm as they’re even cheaper vs Hondinkee with similar-ish coverage.

Nice. Check with State Farm re loss and unexplained disappearance though. AAA was cheap, but provided no coverage on those fronts unfortunately.

HippoPAPAmus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2021, 09:41 AM   #53
ThatOtherGuy7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoPAPAmus View Post
Nice. Check with State Farm re loss and unexplained disappearance though. AAA was cheap, but provided no coverage on those fronts unfortunately.

They told me it’s an all-risk policy so pretty much covers everything including loss, damages, disappearance, theft, etc. It is a worldwide coverage too.
Old 21 August 2021, 09:55 AM   #54
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Jewelers Mutual is not somebody I would ever recommend to insure a watch collection. A single watch, maybe, if their premium was competitive. These guys are old school - Everything requires an appraisal, lots of questions about how you wear a watch, no ability to insure at market value, etc. etc.

If you have a collection, I highly recommend you look at a Personal Articles policy with a high end insurer (Chubb, Nationwide Private Client, PURE, etc.) or one of the modern insurers such as HODINKEE (via Chubb) or Wax.insure.

You can insure over MSRP. I have two Rolex watches insured through Jewelers Mutual that are over MSRP. They both have GG ISA AM certified appraisals.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 02:46 PM   #55
Jesseingram423
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I have insured all of my watches over the years with JM including my current 5 year old meteorite Daytona. It has been appraised multiple times and always insured for the full $41k replacement value. I have never utilized them but it allows me to feel comfortable wearing it daily as I have always done.
Jesseingram423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 11:26 AM   #56
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesseingram423 View Post
I have insured all of my watches over the years with JM including my current 5 year old meteorite Daytona. It has been appraised multiple times and always insured for the full $41k replacement value. I have never utilized them but it allows me to feel comfortable wearing it daily as I have always done.

I would say you are not properly covered in this instance.

If your Meteorite is stolen/lost, you’re just going to be fine with getting $41k for it? Sure, you’d be made whole in terms of outlayed funds. However, to replace it will cost you $65k at today’s market prices. And I would sincerely doubt your AD would get you another one…

Old 24 August 2021, 11:30 AM   #57
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for sharing.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 07:58 AM   #58
JR_Rider
"TRF" Member

I have several watches insured through JM and have been very pleased with them. It seems like in recent years they are automatically increasing the insured value of the watches on my policy by a certain percentage. When the Rolex market first got crazy, I got a new appraisal for my 116713 and after their increases, it's currently insured for almost $20K at the time of my renewal. I had it re-appraised last week to be insured more inline with today's value.
JR_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote