The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2024, 07:33 PM   #301
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
Ouch, all this black Sub hate. I'm not sure what circles people run in where you see them everywhere. I think it’s a classic totally in harmony with it’s tool watch heritage. But if it doesn't turn your crank there are other brighter color options. Cheers.

They don’t see them “everywhere.” They see a handful of them at one or two annual events and maybe when on a plane or at an airport.

It’s like going to the local cars and coffee event on a Saturday morning, and then saying, “OMGZ, everyone has a red Ferrari!!!!!!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 12:33 AM   #302
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
Nope.

Never had that problem. Sorry.

All due respect, most watches, if you look at them long enough, are gonna get boring. That’s why I own many.

Rolex Submariner’s (US Marines’ rifle) creed:

This is my Sub. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Sub is my best friend. It is my life.
This I get bored of my watches with colour if I wear them too much then go back to the black sub and I love it again ha ha
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 12:58 PM   #303
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
They don’t see them “everywhere.” They see a handful of them at one or two annual events and maybe when on a plane or at an airport.

It’s like going to the local cars and coffee event on a Saturday morning, and then saying, “OMGZ, everyone has a red Ferrari!!!!!!”

I live in a small country town of a 100k ppl in the middle of no where and the closest AD is 160 miles away, and I see a sub or two every weekend when I go out to dinner.

Went the the SF giants game few weeks back and counted no less than 25 subs not to mention all the homage versions that have PCLs.

I posted a thread not to long ago about moving on from my sub as I'm super bored of it and cited similar reasons. Somehow I missed this one (or I was drinking too much nectar of the gods and don't remember seeing it).

and when I went to cars n coffee here about 3 weeks ago I saw 3 subs and a couple datejusts, no red Ferrari's.

When Im at airports, I can't tell you how many subs I see. Yes, they are popular, but like someone else said, feels like the bmw of the watch world now, but that's just my opinion and I'm not trying to put down those who it is their only watch and they worked very hard for. It is still something more than the average Joe has.

Some of us do like having unique things and standing out, AND THAT IS OKAY. as another post mentioned, we DONT have to evaluate the kind of person we are because we want to have something more unique than others, it just means we like being different and not following trends, fashion, popular opinion etc, we just like being us, unique, and in certain cases, a bit flashy.

My friends give me a hard time telling me I buy nice watches to impress women. I just laugh and tell them not a single woman has ever come up to me and said, "Nice Rolex." Now, the number of men who have come up to me and said that...LOL

People forget that the thing that makes watch collecting FUN, is there is something out there different for all of us, it's okay for us to have different likes and opinions, and we all don't have to be in agreement bowing down to the party officials in unison like places of the past, and present.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 01:37 PM   #304
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
3 weeks later… not connecting with my Submariner Date - moving on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS9D View Post
I live in a small country town of a 100k ppl in the middle of no where and the closest AD is 160 miles away, and I see a sub or two every weekend when I go out to dinner.

Went the the SF giants game few weeks back and counted no less than 25 subs not to mention all the homage versions that have PCLs.

I posted a thread not to long ago about moving on from my sub as I'm super bored of it and cited similar reasons. Somehow I missed this one (or I was drinking too much nectar of the gods and don't remember seeing it).

and when I went to cars n coffee here about 3 weeks ago I saw 3 subs and a couple datejusts, no red Ferrari's.

When Im at airports, I can't tell you how many subs I see. Yes, they are popular, but like someone else said, feels like the bmw of the watch world now, but that's just my opinion and I'm not trying to put down those who it is their only watch and they worked very hard for. It is still something more than the average Joe has.

Some of us do like having unique things and standing out, AND THAT IS OKAY. as another post mentioned, we DONT have to evaluate the kind of person we are because we want to have something more unique than others, it just means we like being different and not following trends, fashion, popular opinion etc, we just like being us, unique, and in certain cases, a bit flashy.

My friends give me a hard time telling me I buy nice watches to impress women. I just laugh and tell them not a single woman has ever come up to me and said, "Nice Rolex." Now, the number of men who have come up to me and said that...LOL

People forget that the thing that makes watch collecting FUN, is there is something out there different for all of us, it's okay for us to have different likes and opinions, and we all don't have to be in agreement bowing down to the party officials in unison like places of the past, and present.

The problem is that for every one person that makes this claim, there are 10 others that refute it.

And I’m not some hermit living in a cave. At least, not yet. lol. I travel the world. I’m on planes and in airports all the time. In fact, I’m going on my annual European vacation in 2 months. I was a Sr Exec for a Wall Street firm before retiring. I live in an affluent area and dine in fancy restaurants all the time.

I just never see that many Submariners. So these claims—even if legitimate in some cases— aren’t universal. Seeing a Submariner everywhere is just not what everyone else experiences or observes.

And BTW, I always see at least 3 or 4 Red Ferraris when I go to the local Cars and Coffee event.
:)

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 02:52 PM   #305
madsitalia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post

Kind of venting here, but interested to hear what other people think or if they have ever had a similar experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS9D View Post

Exactly
We all (I guess) are in this forum because we like Rolex. In here we seek like minded and sometimes to get confirmation of an unpopular opinion or advice on some of our thoughts on watches
madsitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 01:42 AM   #306
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
we should trade neighborhoods for a week or two so I can see red Ferraris at C&C and you can see subs at restaurants on the weekends :)

you're right tho, these claims aren't universal and the "trends" can skew pretty wildly in different areas at different times of the year. I live five minutes from lake Shasta in CA and it's a huge attraction for ppl with $75k-100K fishing boats is crazy, and said crowd is the crowd that can afford/buy Rolex which they do, and I didn't factor this variable into my response yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
The problem is that for every one person that makes this claim, there are 10 others that refute it.

And I’m not some hermit living in a cave. At least, not yet. lol. I travel the world. I’m on planes and in airports all the time. In fact, I’m going on my annual European vacation in 2 months. I was a Sr Exec for a Wall Street firm before retiring. I live in an affluent area and dine in fancy restaurants all the time.

I just never see that many Submariners. So these claims—even if legitimate in some cases— aren’t universal. Seeing a Submariner everywhere is just not what everyone else experiences or observes.

And BTW, I always see at least 3 or 4 Red Ferraris when I go to the local Cars and Coffee event.
:)

WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 01:50 AM   #307
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I see a lot of blue jeans. I doesn't cause me any angst.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 02:13 AM   #308
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

when it's warm out there are weeks where i see at least one sub a day. when i went to vegas i saw 10 bluesys in the span of 4 days. maybe saying they're everywhere is exaggerating but they're definitely common. funny enough, i see considerably less datejusts

subs are like bmw m3s imo, they're not everywhere but you see them often
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 02:16 AM   #309
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
You know since this post I’ve started looking into moving my 126610LN.

It made me réalise some faults that are getting more and more annoying.

However it’s one of the best summer watch you can have. I surf routinely with it in summer and I would not dare do it with another.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 03:01 AM   #310
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Had a submariner, sold it, just looked too...boring. I prefer a bit more character in the dials. I enjoy the gmts and daytonas much better.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 03:02 AM   #311
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
I too sold my Sub after owning it for under a year. Not because of its ubiquity in public or its monotony, but because I couldn’t get used to the bulky square case of the 116610. I’m thinking of picking up a 126LV one of these days but we’ll see.
Sold a 114060 years ago for the same reason. Rolex really goofed up with the supercase on those models.

The new 12 series is a MASSIVE improvement. Seriously, the new case and specifically bracelet width of 21mm at the lugs makes all the difference. The proportions are spot on now. Give the new model a shot!
Old 25 April 2024, 05:48 AM   #312
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
You know since this post I’ve started looking into moving my 126610LN.

It made me réalise some faults that are getting more and more annoying.

However it’s one of the best summer watch you can have. I surf routinely with it in summer and I would not dare do it with another.
what faults are you noticing? I came across the same situation over the pass couple of weeks.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 06:43 AM   #313
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

All 11 series subs should be banished and eliminated.
Unless you’re a Hulk (or Smurf). Then you’re ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6642.jpeg (204.3 KB, 168 views)
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 03:20 PM   #314
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Sell it and get the 39mm Explorer. Less common, a fantastic daily, and just a cool watch.
I would have to agree with you on that!
Old 25 April 2024, 03:47 PM   #315
Kensin
"TRF" Member

Uh oh. Now one of you guys have to sell it. Too many people owning it and wearing it. It's lost its appeal.
Kensin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 04:23 PM   #316
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
3 weeks later… not connecting with my Submariner Date - moving on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensin View Post
Uh oh. Now one of you guys have to sell it. Too many people owning it and wearing it. It's lost its appeal.
belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 04:24 PM   #317
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_LEC View Post
I would have to agree with you on that!

I would have to laugh on that. No offence. Sorry !

belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 06:38 PM   #318
ts3
"TRF" Member

I get the OP. Never warmed up to the looks of Rolex dive watches and GMTs since I started seeing them a lot on colleagues' wrists some 25 years ago. And I don't care if every other guy has one or not. The design is just not for me.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 07:58 PM   #319
bakeredout
"TRF" Member

If you don't mind me asking; what do you wear as a daily? Do you find one particular watch frequently being used in your rotation or do you keep it fresh by changing watches every day?

[QUOTE=eonflux;13137338]Sub and GMT are perfect daily watches.

But I hear ya, I pretty much don't wear mine anymore.
Just too boring at this point in my watch journey.
bakeredout is offline   Reply With Quote