The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 May 2024, 04:20 AM   #1
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
5960P (and non-perpetual complication) Patek servicing query?

I wanted to do a Patek upgrade and coincidentally it was at a time I wanted a pick-me-up when life was reopening after Covid lockdowns. I explored secondhand dealers to try to get more value and looked at annual calendars and Patek beyond Calatravas. I ended up blowing my budget and was encouraged to negotiate for a 5960P that was in excellent condition (SAs have commented with admiration whenever I walk into a Patek boutique), had the full set, and was sellling well below retail. I initially thought the face looked odd, but pulled the trigger when I belatedly fell in love with it and its history as the coming together of a platinum case, an annual calendar, and a flyback chrono.

The watch turned out to be sold in mid-2008, and I purchased it in mid-2022. The dealer said it had not actually been serviced before being sold, but that they had tested it and it still kept time perfectly. I have still not had it serviced and have not noticed any problems with it keeping time, although I wear it sparingly. I wear it on both special occasions and when going out for me time to a cafe, but I rotate and somedays a 5960P is too much watch for my mood.

Many people say there is no need to service a watch if it is still running fine, especially if it is a manual watch that is worn sparingly. Others warn that a perpetual should be serviced regularly and putting it off too long can have dire consequences.

How do both sets of advice translate for a non-perpetual complication? I have a more complicated annual, but nothing that is considered a grand complication, and it's now 16 years old.

Simply, when would you have this watch serviced and why? Would anyone tell me - immediately?
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 04:40 AM   #2
Vasco
"TRF" Member

I'm also a great fan of the 5960, especially the 5960Ps.

I'm not an expert at all but, usually indeed, one can wait when time keeping becomes poor to have it serviced. However, 16 years is a lot even (from my understanding) regarding modern oils which are known to last more than before.

I understand that if some parts are over worn, their replacement is included in the operation. Nevertheless, I don't know if there is a limit and if Patek could charge more for that. I doubt that a 16-year watch that maybe hasn't been worn that often would present parts in such a bad shape that it would lead to this.

Hence, my feeling is that you can maybe wait but I would offer it an overhaul to experience a perfectly accurate and functionning watch.

Not mentioning that your gaskets and seals should be totally uneffective and that water may reach in. This would be a significant issue and leading to a higher overhaul cost as well (replacement of a rusted dial, disks, etc...).
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote